Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

m.boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Agree with all the comments above. Probably won't stop using the site but it will make me use it less as I do most of my browsing on the phone. Touch is just not as user friendly as m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup have to agree with Tocman often outside 3G coverage and m works every time touch is to feature laden

Plus for those of us on the phone contracts with low data allowance, using m has been ideal.

If an ultra lightweight touch can be introduced I'd be happy but I echo bluewolf's comments from before. The simplicity of m is what makes it.

By the way Dav, could the sitewide notice be amended with a link to this thread for feedback? You should get plenty if you direct people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Very bad decision. I use m.boards.ie because of its simplicity and speed. When I'm on my phone I want to read the content quickly and efficiently something that touch does not deliver at the moment.

As suggested above it would be far more prudent to review touch, apply fixes or changes deemed necessary to make it more usable and then if successful shut down m.boards.ie. At the moment what we have is a like it or lump it situation which is a very poor user management situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

bluewolf wrote: »
    I cross posted in site dev, but the gist is that I love how simple it is. I don't want pictures or icons or lights or avatars or flashy things when I'm on the phone, I want simple text that's quick to check different fora and the PM inbox thing on m.b is much, much easier to use than the one on touch which has too much whitespace and doesn't differentiate properly between the PMs imo.

I don't need to see my avatar on the phone, and I don't need to see everyone else's either.

An asterisk to tell me I have a PM is more than sufficient instead of red yokes

Touch. doesn't have a "go to last page of thread" option

If I click on my subscribed forums list, the touch site can barely fit 8 fora on the screen before I have to start scrolling. The m.b site fits 18 forums on it and would have room for more if I wanted more. So that's 3 times as much scrolling I have to do on touch before I even start using anything.

When I do go into a forum, m.boards has 2 alternating colours for each thread making them much easier to look through, and white if the thread is locked and yellow if it's a sticky. Touch has white, white, white everywhere, and more of it. The space given to each thread listing is at least twice the space given to it on m.b which once again means a lot more scrolling and difficulty focusing. On a computer, that's an inconvenience. On the phone, all that white and scrolling and difficulty focusing on any one thread turns me off using it altogether.

I can probably go on all day...

Is there any convincing you guys to change your mind on it particularly since you didn't realise so many people were using it in the first place?

If anything, this sums up why I like m.boards

A nice little * next to UserCP to let you know you've a PM. Kinda sums up why the m. site is best. (that and the colour scheme)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

gandalf wrote: »
    Very bad decision. I use m.boards.ie because of its simplicity and speed. When I'm on my phone I want to read the content quickly and efficiently something that touch does not deliver at the moment.

As suggested above it would be far more prudent to review touch, apply fixes or changes deemed necessary to make it more usable and then if successful shut down m.boards.ie. At the moment what we have is a like it or lump it situation which is a very poor user management situation.

If it broke something that can't be permanentely fixed it's a fair enough reason to pull it

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    If it broke something that can't be permanentely fixed it's a fair enough reason to pull it

But did it? Or is it more likely that something else was changed that broke m.boards.ie? and the easiest solution is get rid of m. instead of looking for the root cause & fixing that.

One of Dav's earlier posts said, "I didn't realise that so many of you were using m."
    I'm finding this really hard to swallow... surely if you had multiple UIs you'd be interested in how many users access the site through each one?

I'd suspect that the m. is a victim of it's own "success".... it's light & clean with no obtrusive advertisements... which is bad if you generate revenue through advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Put a link to this thread into your signatures!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The feedback thread might be better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Just back on m. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

[vader]NOOOOOOOOOO![/vader]

I use m all the time, from my nokia 6660 and my 14" CRT monitor, please don't kill it, please. I'll bring you's in brownies, or better yet I know ye all like the rolling donut so I could bring donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'll be really sad to see m.boards.ie go.

I use it all the time on my laptop. It's brilliant in the evenings. When Three 'broadband' grinds to a halt at least boards still works. Great on my phone too when I'm scrimping along on a very limited data allowance. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I've just realised I am using touch already, I thought it was m.boards.

Touch works good on my HTC one !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lets be honest, just like the move on adverts. This is a money grab. Touch has much more prominent ads and the move is designed to bring people from the less ad filled m. to ad filled touch.

Some straight talking would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Lets be honest, just like the move on adverts. This is a money grab. Touch has much more prominent ads and the move is designed to bring people from the less ad filled m. to ad filled touch.

...or it's the same reason that the older vBulletin skins were removed. They're not compatible with the new API Boards has, and they're a nightmare to maintain. If it was a money grab, they could just put ads on m.boards.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yes, because Boards.ie has a long history of being deceptive to our members and never notifying people about changes to advertising policies or layout of the site... :rolleyes:

I came to this thread to link you over to this post I made on the Feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Is this why I have to keep zooming in?

I'm using a galaxy s4. Very user unfriendly.

I've tried touch but it's still v difficult to read threads easily

Even writing this is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Up until today the touch.boards.ie is automatically switching back to the boards.ie

Is the touch site down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'touch site' to reset the cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This exactly what it is. I've been around boards.ie 11 years now and things have really gone down the toilet recently with money-grabbing moves like this.

The m.boards.ie is a perfect skin for those who need a lightweight alternative in a mobile device. Why switch it off?

The touch site was added to boost revenue, plain and simple. The m. site allows users to avoid ads.

Why not actually remove the bugs from the touch site and stop ramming ads down people's throats.

Things have changed a lot from the "good old days" when the site was less about revenue and more about the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My apologies if there are other threads which answer this but on the phone this seems like the most relevant thread.
    I seem to remember a few months ago the site admins telling us in no uncertain terms that the mobile site was being done away with and a date was given. What's the story in relation to the mobile site? I love the little guy as it's easy to read on the phone whereas the touch site isn't.

Did the mobile site win a reprieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Did the mobile site win a reprieve?

Short answer - yes. :)

We're working on some other things at the moment and with only 3 tech staff we figured it was simply easier to leave m. in place for the moment until we can come back to the touch. review. See this thread in Feedback for some more details.

It's likely this won't be looked at again till the new year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

<3 m.boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dav wrote: »
    Short answer - yes. :)

We're working on some other things at the moment and with only 3 tech staff we figured it was simply easier to leave m. in place for the moment until we can come back to the touch. review. See this thread in Feedback for some more details.

It's likely this won't be looked at again till the new year EVER

Cheers Dav :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

One word. Horrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dav wrote: »
    m. has two weeks (I'm putting a notice about this up now).

We ran into a problem that the lads were able to patch but it's not permanent. We're going to be shutting m. off in a couple of weeks permanently.

I'm genuinely stunned that so many people are still using m. - it's a horrible looking interface.

m. is defaulting to touch for me on Android this morning.

Is this the inevitable long awaited death of m.

Say it ain't so, I love m. and hate touch.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We haven't done anything to m. so it should be working as usual - I can still access it on my phone here.

Of course if you don't like touch., you could always scroll to the bottom of the page and try out the responsive site for a bit :)

(You may need to clear cookies to get back to m.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We haven't done anything to m. so it should be working as usual - I can still access it on my phone here.

Of course if you don't like touch., you could always scroll to the bottom of the page and try out the responsive site for a bit :)

(You may need to clear cookies to get back to m.)

While you're there Niamh a minor thing in the m site that has been annoying me for a long time

When a user is in AH on the m site and they click on the link to politics cafe it leaves the m site to go into the old default site to enter politics cafe

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement