Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m.boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Another vote for 'Please keep m.boards.ie' here. 90% of the time, it's how I use boards.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mazza

Please sort m.boards.ie out!

Great lightweight browsing and I'm not bothered waiting for touch

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OSI wrote: »
    People still use m.boards.ie? It reminds me of the really **** WAP sites the networks used to have back in 2002.

Yeah because the m.boards.ie is far faster to load on mobile. Touch is more of a resource hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Back working for me now. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It works! hallelujah! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Dav said earlier there was a problem and it was being fixed, and should be fixed for everyone today.. Also it's being stopped soon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just want to register my love for m.boards.ie

Sorry to whoever developed it but the touch site is a shiit piece and if I was forced to use it by m. becoming unavailable, it would basically stop me using boards on my phone.

OSI wrote: »
    Dafuq are you using to browse? A Nokia 3210?

I know you weren't addressing me but in case it helps the site developers or whatever - I use m.boards.ie on Xperia (Android - Chrome/Opera/standard browser), Blackberry (Opera/standard BB browser) and Nexus (Android - Chrome).

I love lightweight web browsing, no fluff/ads/bloat/nonsense. Apart from the nonsense I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

m. has two weeks (I'm putting a notice about this up now).

We ran into a problem that the lads were able to patch but it's not permanent. We're going to be shutting m. off in a couple of weeks permanently.

I'm genuinely stunned that so many people are still using m. - it's a horrible looking interface.

Dav wrote: »

We ran into a problem that the lads were able to patch but it's not permanent. We're going to be shutting m. off in a couple of weeks permanently.

I'm genuinely stunned that so many people are still using m. - it's a horrible looking interface.

Sad to hear it but thanks for letting us know. I'll organise some kind of shutting down party where those of us who still use it can stand around sadly looking lost as flashy modern technology renders our once familiar world alien. Venue TBA.

• Advertisement

And dav upholds his decision this is sure to cause quite a stir within the community

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No... it's a great interface. Lovely and simple when I'm on the phone which is all I need, not shiny buttons and displays and lights and things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Nooooo. Its much easier traverse the m. site on my phone (HTC One so it has a large screen) than it is to move around the full site. And the touch site is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

you said m instead of touch there didn't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

When can we expect a Boards.ie App?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Really disappointed to hear your dropping m.boards. Find it much more consistent across range of mobile devices than the touch site. Even on things like readers or old phones it was the one site that always worked well.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think some attempted to explain it to me before, but touch is a pain in the arse. Looking at the pages of new posts, click the next page, and some of the same posts are still there. I know there was other things, but I can't recall what they were! I really must start documenting my rants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Not enough revenue being generated off it is my guess. The other one looks ****e & is buggy as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Missing m.boards.ie I find touch.boards too chunky

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Very disappointed m is getting dropped, I dislike the touch design so much I won't be using boards on my mobile anymore which is what I use the most.

• Advertisement

Embrace the future gentlemen

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Embrace the future gentlemen

Future = fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Site notice re switching m. off: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057209349

I'm well aware this won't be popular with some of you, but we really do have to flick this particular switch. I have word from the boss that we will be doing a full review of touch. in order to address some of the issues raised by you as to why it's not an acceptable substitute for m. For a very long time, Google Analytics has been incorrectly reporting usage numbers on m. for us, so we were proceeding on incorrect data and that data said there was only a handful of you using it. Obviously that's not the case and posts such as this one help us understand why you're still using it and what's missing from touch.

I don't want anyone thinking we're just doing this and they can either like it or lump it - far from it. Similarly, I don't want anyone thinking that we're simply going to "downgrade" touch. so that it looks like m. did :) I'd like to think that Boards has a solid track record in interacting with its members when it wants to make changes and this is one of the things we consistently do right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I knew this day would come. I use m.boards all the time on my 5in smart phone the touch site is too hard to read.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Also sad to see m.boards go. I like that it has a "Thanks" filter on the homepage which the touch site doesn't. I usually flick through the most thankrd posts on the site if I'm bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I'm also disappointed to see the m. site go. Bluewolf's post that Dav linked to sums up a lot of my thoughts. M.boards is just text based which I prefer. I'll probably use the full site rather than Touch. Am using a HTC Desire by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

I will have to stop using boards.ie if the .m version disappears. Really lightweight and efficient. Loading times are great when stuck on edge network.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Appalling decision to drop m.site.

The the touch sites for boards and daft are not up to scratch. I am saying that as a big fan of everything you guys do up on Golden Lane. Would it be possible to get a minimalist version of touch? it's clunky, buggy, too many clicks.

Extremely disappointed with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Site notice re switching m. off: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057209349

have word from the boss that we will be doing a full review of touch./QUOTE]

Why not fix touch. BEFORE taking m. offline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'll be sad to see m.b go.

It's very fast and efficient for browsing. I doubt it will make me stop using the site but it would make me use it less.

I tried touch for a while but it's just not as good.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement