Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

Looks great. Loving the lack of CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I think they got 1986 Mr Strickland, put him through the ageifier machine, and they ended up with a wrinkly Ed Harris.
    Looks the bomb though. Has blockbuster feel to me. At least for us 40 something's who remember going to see the likes of Ghostbusters and Temple of Doom in the Savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

TinCool wrote: »
    I think they got 1986 Mr Strickland, put him through the ageifier machine, and they ended up with a wrinkly Ed Harris.
    Looks the bomb though. Has blockbuster feel to me. At least for us 40 something's who remember going to see the likes of Ghostbusters and Temple of Doom in the Savoy.

I'm 32 and love Cruise. I don't care about the scientology crap. I'd rather watch him than The Rock any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the trailer is anything to go by, this might be the most Tom Cruise movie ever made. All of Harris's dialogue could be applied to Cruise himself.

Harris is only 11 years older than Cruise btw.

If the trailer is anything to go by, this might be the most Tom Cruise movie ever made. All of Harris's dialogue could be applied to Cruise himself.

Harris is only 11 years older than Cruise btw.

11 years is a long time to get from where Mavericks character seems to be compared to where Harris's character seems to be. Really I think the only thing it highlights is that Cruise and Keanu Reeves seem share similar genes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I'm 32 and love Cruise. I don't care about the scientology crap. I'd rather watch him than The Rock any day.

Agreed, for me its also because the wife likes him so will watch action film's with him in it.

Also agreed on Dwayne his films aren't the best but his presence pulls them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In fairness though.. if this _ISN'T_ the most Tom Cruise film ever made, it probably ought to be.. or at least the most Tom Cruise _Sequel_ ever made. :D

Tom Cruise might be a bit nuts, but he makes top quality action movies. The Mission Impossible movies from 3 onwards are excellent and very consistent. Edge Of Tomorrow was class too. However I do tend to download them as I'd rather not fund scientology. Not seen the Jack Reacher movies though. Worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

no

Acosta wrote: »
    Tom Cruise might be a bit nuts, but he makes top quality action movies. The Mission Impossible movies from 3 onwards are excellent and very consistent. Edge Of Tomorrow was class too. However I do tend to download them as I'd rather not fund scientology. Not seen the Jack Reacher movies though. Worth watching?
    First one is.

• Advertisement

First one is.

I was tempted a number of times but the reviews aren't great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Acosta wrote: »

Ah now the first Mission Impossible holds up as a legit, old school spy thriller, before it completely became a vehicle for Tom Cruise stunts.

The first Jack Reacher film was ok, again curiously old fashioned as a "corruption in city hall" style PI thriller; the second was ... Ugh. Take Tom Cruise out of it, and you'd assume you were watching a low to mid budget TV pilot. Warehouses and cheap sets. So shoddy I presumed it was some licencing dodge.

Mission Impossible is good. I even enjoyed Mission Impossible Woo. But as action spy movies go, from 3 onwards is real top notch stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Looks great,hopefully the sound track is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

reg114 wrote:
    Real, as in yes he's in a real plane being flown by a real fighter pilot. While Cruise has a pilots license and has flown helicopters, flying a military aircraft is even beyond his capabilities. Being a civilian he's legally prohibited from flying any military aircraft. Flying even a commercial airliner would take years of training and thousands of airmiles, so to fly a military aircraft of the highest order without a lengthy career in military aviation is impossible. You'll see cruise in a fighter jet.... Flown by someone else.

Is he not an admiral in Scientology???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

khaldrogo wrote: »
    reg114 wrote:
    Real, as in yes he's in a real plane being flown by a real fighter pilot. While Cruise has a pilots license and has flown helicopters, flying a military aircraft is even beyond his capabilities. Being a civilian he's legally prohibited from flying any military aircraft. Flying even a commercial airliner would take years of training and thousands of airmiles, so to fly a military aircraft of the highest order without a lengthy career in military aviation is impossible. You'll see cruise in a fighter jet.... Flown by someone else.

Is he not an admiral in Scientology???
    A 2 star admiral, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Looks great,hopefully the sound track is good too.

They had better be dusting off Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

Can't wait to hear the jets in cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would it be one for the shakey seats cinema?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

silverharp wrote: »
    would it be one for the shakey seats cinema?

Which one is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Which one is that?

there is one in the parnell st cineworld

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wanna see the story trailer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I thought this was supposed to be a handing over of the baton to the next generation, with Tom taking a back seat. But this looks like the TC show all the way.

I'm there though. Absolutely loved MI: Fallout last year. Watched it for the fourth time last night. Tom for all his eccentricities still has what it takes, and Top Gun was where it all started.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Probably the best first film trailer in years in terms of hitting all the right notes.

Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Looks great...but if this is present day wouldn't Goose's kid be close to his 40s instead of being a young buck?
    Closer to 30 years ago than 40.

TopGun was 1986
    Miles Teller was born in 1987.

11 years is a long time to get from where Mavericks character seems to be compared to where Harris's character seems to be. Really I think the only thing it highlights is that Cruise and Keanu Reeves seem share similar genes.

Other factors involved here, but seen this in this mornings news sites.
    Cruise isn't aging.

2907ed6d1ca8899b241a4e07a4a90f38

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/2907ed6d1ca8899b241a4e07a4a90f38

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Probably the best first film trailer in years in terms of hitting all the right notes.

Really looking forward to this.

I just thought it was depressing.
    Arrested development man in his 50's still wearing the the same jacket as he did in his 20's and riding his mid life crisis bike?
    Jesus.
    Maybe that's a crux of the storyline but it's presented as glorious and cool when in fact it's laughable.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that people will watch any ol sh1te as long as it tickles their nostalgia-balls.

Jesus, poor Kilmer.... think that goes beyond aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought it was Tom Berenger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Think he had cancer.

Id say he is dead in the movie... They surely would have used him in place of Ed's character otherwise.

Advertisement