Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tefral wrote: »
    Think he had cancer.

Id say he is dead in the movie... They surely would have used him in place of Ed's character otherwise.

Throat Cancer, so even speaking for him is a big deal the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Re. Cruise's ageing, I dunno; in the glorious era of HD you can definitely see around the eyes and mouth where Botox & god knows what else is fighting a losing fight. His work pales compared with someone like Ming-Na Wen (Agents of SHIELD), who is 55 yet looks easily early 40s and is clearly practising dark magic to remain looking that amazing.

Don't get me wrong, Cruise looks relatively amazing, for a man supposedly in his early 50s, but The Mummy was the point where I lost patience for it all; when Russel Crowe, someone 2 years his junior, referred to Cruise's character as "young man", later finding out said lead character was supposed to be in his mid-30s. At least Top Gun seems to be addressing the fact Cruise should possibly grow the F up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

conorhal wrote: »
    I just thought it was depressing.
    Arrested development man in his 50's still wearing the the same jacket as he did in his 20's and riding his mid life crisis bike?
    Jesus.
    Maybe that's a crux of the storyline but it's presented as glorious and cool when in fact it's laughable.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that people will watch any ol sh1te as long as it tickles their nostalgia-balls.

I'm looking forward to it but agree. It'll take some plot shenanigans to portray him at this age, NOT in a position of authority, yet still believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, Cruise looks relatively amazing, for a man supposedly in his early 50s, but The Mummy was the point where I lost patience for it all; when Russel Crowe, someone 2 years his junior, referred to Cruise's character as "young man", later finding out said lead character was supposed to be in his mid-30s. At least Top Gun seems to be addressing the fact Cruise should possibly grow the F up.

Think you mean late 50's, chap is 57. He's older than Charlie Sheen, yet looks ten years younger.
    Granted, Charlie has done his best to kill himself repeatedly, so that'll take a toll..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pixelburp wrote: »
    His work pales compared with someone like Ming-Na Wen (Agents of SHIELD), who is 55 yet looks easily early 40s and is clearly practising dark magic to remain looking that amazing.
    Hardly a fair comparison. Those Asian anti-aging genetic voodoo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Think you mean late 50's, chap is 57. He's older than Charlie Sheen, yet looks ten years younger.
    Granted, Charlie has done his best to kill himself repeatedly, so that'll take a toll..

Holy shít, you're right. Can see why they're keen to film two Mission Impossible films back to back, cos that has to be the last of them as "Tom Cruise Endangerment" vehicles.

How you live your life tends to catch up with you, no question, and it's probably only the self-pickling that keeps the likes of Keith Richards alive, but Cruise's mid life crisis has gone on enough IMO. "Oblivion" was the last film I remember where he could legitimately pass for the mid to late 30s he still seems to be playing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not much regarding the story in the trailer but I suppose it's really only a teaser.

Was never a huge fan of Top Gun but if those flying sequences are even half real, my God. That first scene looks amazing and the in-cockpit shots look great (Assuming they didn't give Cruise control of their fighter jets. I know he's a pilot but still :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not much regarding the story in the trailer but I suppose it's really only a teaser.

Was never a huge fan of Top Gun but if those flying sequences are even half real, my God. That first scene looks amazing and the in-cockpit shots look great (Assuming they didn't give Cruise control of their fighter jets. I know he's a pilot but still :D

Actually belief it or not they did let him be in control for that scene , Crazy I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Actually belief it or not they did let him be in control for that scene , Crazy I know
    I can't see a civilian being given control of a military fighter jet worth many, many millions just for a movie. Even if it is the adrenaline junkie that is Tom Cruise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Stolen from YLYL:

67075424_1117256535139832_7429879344282992640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQkz5W0YY4UB3R_QrkpTsW6QO1IErDIw-bDCRB35mfiv8p5pI0POV1EvjbGVIXC_TrU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4854a1bbde60a9a8af5fbeec2bb1c482&oe=5DB4054A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I can't see a civilian being given control of a military fighter jet worth many, many millions just for a movie. Even if it is the adrenaline junkie that is Tom Cruise.

I can see it happening. Years back, the Air Force let Jeremy Clarkson drop a live bomb from an F-15, and they'd no idea who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭lukin

I've been watching clips of the first movie on YouTube and it really is remarkable what a terrible film it was. Laughable storyline, an astrophysicist who looks like she just stepped off a catwalk, cringe-inducing dialogue ("I feel the need—the need for speed"; I mean really, come on).
    Not to mention the fact that there wasn't one character in it who was remotely likeable. All of the pilots were arrogant self-obsessed w####rs and their superiors were cliched portrayals of military top brass.
    Kelly McGillis was just there for eye-candy. In fact I think I only watched it when I was a kid 'cause I thought she was super hot.
    Typical Tony Scott film (RIP); big on style but low on substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

lukin wrote: »
    I've been watching clips of the first movie on YouTube and it really is remarkable what a terrible film it was. Laughable storyline, an astrophysicist who looks like she just stepped off...

Sorry? What?

I'm afraid I can't hear you over the sound of all thisHIGHWAY TO THE DANGERZONE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This will be unadulterated garbage. Hollywood hasn't had an original thought in years

I've been watching clips of the first movie on YouTube and it really is remarkable what a terrible film it was. Laughable storyline, an astrophysicist who looks like she just stepped off a catwalk, cringe-inducing dialogue ("I feel the need—the need for speed"; I mean really, come on).
    Not to mention the fact that there wasn't one character in it who was remotely likeable. All of the pilots were arrogant self-obsessed w####rs and their superiors were cliched portrayals of military top brass.
    Kelly McGillis was just there for eye-candy. In fact I think I only watched it when I was a kid 'cause I thought she was super hot.

I've been watching a few clips.... <white noise>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭lukin

Goodshape wrote: »
    Sorry? What?

I'm afraid I can't hear you over the sound of all thisHIGHWAY TO THE DANGERZONE!!!!

Actually that's another thing I forgot to mention, thanks for reminding me; the soundtrack is utter garbage too; the very worst of 80's MOR.

Actually that's another thing I forgot to mention, thanks for reminding me; the soundtrack is utter garbage too; the very worst of 80's MOR.

Your opinion is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

So very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

lawred2 wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong

He’s trying hard not to show it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hollywood hasn't had an original thought in years

If you actually think that, then your opinion on movies in general is pretty void.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

We can never be friends

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Isn't that what is so likable about it? It's pure 80's tripe?

But the aircraft - awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This will be unadulterated garbage. Hollywood hasn't had an original thought in years
    Your opinion is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be fair not every film needs to be an intense deep dive character study ffs

1st was one of the best original popcorn movies leave your brain at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

Lets not forget that without Top Gun we would not have been able to see this classi:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

People complain about certain movies being cliched when it was these movies that spawned the cliche.

Die Hard is another movie that looks cliched to the younger viewer, when instead the bits that worked were just rehashed endlessly by subsequent movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No, I saw Top Gun in the cinema when it came out and the script was lazy clicheed rubbish then.

The cliches are much, much older than that movie.

Cool planes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Top gun was cheesy nonsense with a healthy dose of America good Russia bad. The dialogue was rubbish.
    It’s a brilliant movie and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Your point being?

Advertisement