Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

First shot of Maverick in Top Gun 2

gallery-1539177246-bguk-1362712-037.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I am curious how they will handle Cruise's age

The Cruise does not age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The Cruise does not age.

He looks aged/worked on in that pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bit of a difference alright compared to the original film...

ee1916291ca2593d2627f8fe6d09ca91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What's with his nose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

If he looked the same with no ageing then i would be worried........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The Cruise does not age.

Its all that extra Thetan-power he has running through his system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

Bit of a difference alright compared to the original film...

Yeah, 32 years will do that to you. Well, it does much worse to most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

First shot of Maverick in Top Gun 2

gallery-1539177246-bguk-1362712-037.jpg

Kawasaki H2 as well, god dam!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maverick's other new ride

• Advertisement

I wonder will they fly in any kinda hybrid human/drone formations

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's flying into Comic Con so we should have a first look teaser trailer soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still no idea who wants this film or who thinks it's a good idea but if they strike the right knowing approach it could be fun.

Wasn't holding up high hopes for this but this brought a grin to the face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Not bad, i was kinda expecting the trailer to be an OTT CGI mess of unbelievable dogfights.. So... lookin good so far..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't care about the movie, but as always with Cruises movies the making of will be most entertaining, see how far he pushes himself. Looks like some of the cockpit footage is himself in an actual jet, taking off, flying etc.

I'd say there was no way he was making this if he didn't get to fly the jets himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The flight sequences look amazing. Otherwise, hard to judge what its about. Some scenes look like remakes of the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say there was no way he was making this if he didn't get to fly the jets himself.

With the best will in the world I can't see an actor being allowed to take off from an aircraft carrier. Funnily enough am reading a biography an astronauts life (Scott Kelly), and his time as a navy pilot. Take off & landing is lethal even for a pro. It's gotta be a mock-up, the radio seat made up to look like the pilots

• Advertisement

The theme tune!

Nothing looks wrong.

Sounds like maybe a solid story.

Tom Cruise looking to be doing his usual All-In (heh, like a Maverick :))

If the 2nd trailer references road travel towards a pitfall, then I'm definitely sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Conversely there's no way the US Navy would let an actor fly a $70 million plane. I'd say he was in the back of one a lot, but no piloting.

Conversely there's no way the US Navy would let an actor fly a $70 million plane. I'd say he was in the back of one a lot, but no piloting.

You are right I would say I doubt the military would let a civilian fly a military jet no matter how good a pilot they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    With the best will in the world I can't see an actor being allowed to take off from an aircraft carrier. Funnily enough am reading a biography an astronauts life (Scott Kelly), and his time as a navy pilot. Take off & landing is lethal even for a pro. It's gotta be a mock-up, the radio seat made up to look like the pilots

Take off in an F/A-18 is hands off stick. The pilots hands are away from all controls until the aircraft is in the air. But yeah, there’s no way a civilian is getting their hands on a single seat. And I also wouldn’t be surprised if they stuck him the back of an F/A-18B trainer. It does seem like a very cruise stunt.

It's quite possible being he's a well qualified pilot and regularly races them too ,
    But we could be looking at simulation ,

With cruise anything is possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No interest in Top Gun, but Joseph Kosinski‘s an interesting director with a great visual eye. Some very smart and impactful camera choices in that trailer for sure.

As for being given to access to real hardware... whatever about Cruise flying or not flying the planes, the Pentagon does tend to be willing to give the nod to productions to use their expensive weapons as long as there’s nothing remotely critical about them in the script :pac:

Scientology has some powerful friends and blackmail material (allegedly) so therefore Cruise has too maybe strings could have been pulled lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,545 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking forward to this. Loved the first one.

Also it's so refreshing to see a film that won't be reliant on CGI for action scenes.

*thumbs up*

I reckon Cruise has found a way to fly the plane!

In any event this looks like a popcorn flick I can finally enjoy. Will find my way to a cinema for this definitely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks good, even if its brainless it should be a blast with cinema sound. Surprised Marerick wasn't on an island being sad at the start

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement