Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Now that this has gone to (possibly) Level 5 I wonder will the IRFU be granted an exemption?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

PCros wrote: »
    Now that this has gone to (possibly) Level 5 I wonder will the IRFU be granted an exemption?

Seems like they will. From RTE:
    RTÉ News understands that the GAA inter-county championships, elite sports and horseracing can take place during the Level 5 restrictions. Schools are also set to remain open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Andy Farrrell press conference call
    Allot of nothing said "Et cetera"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6Z-219VvE
    some clips from training
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icYa_lBFfEk
    Is that Harry Byrne at 2:37?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Btw shouldn’t we be getting a team sheet today? Didn’t Farrell have a knack of naming the team for the weekend at the beginning for the week? Or could it be something to do with waiting to see what happens with the covid regulations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Btw shouldn’t we be getting a team sheet today? Didn’t Farrell have a knack of naming the team for the weekend at the beginning for the week? Or could it be something to do with waiting to see what happens with the covid regulations?
    Its only Monday. Early would be tomorrow after team have at least trained a few times during match week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

Don't think he announced the team this early...maybe tomorrow potentially

Actually yeah it could be tomorrow, hopefully 42,Independenr,Times spill the beans soon though to confirm it could be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

errlloyd wrote: »
    With respect, that is unfortunately not how this works.

This is a contagious virus, there is no personal responsibility. The consequences of actions are felt on a population level, not a personal one.

Huh? Obv not the place, but where the consequences are felt are irrelevant. If I get drunk & run over a pedesteian, I'm not the one hit by the car, but its still my responsibility. Its mine because it was my actions that led to what happened. You are responsible for what you do. The consequences come from there, but you are still responsible for your actions. That numpty who went to a party the same day they got tested was 100% responsible for at least some of the spread at that party.

On a better note, THE RUGBY IS ON! WAHOO!!!!!!

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »

I guess I should release Micheál Martin's son

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

molloyjh wrote: »

This will make second lockdown bearable.

First time around it was really tough having the pubs shut and the sport cancelled.

Mercifully there is sport to look forward to now at least.

The caveat to that is we had supreme weather in lockdown one. Now it's cold and wet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

This will make second lockdown bearable.

First time around it was really tough having the pubs shut and the sport cancelled.

Mercifully there is sport to look forward to now at least.

The caveat to that is we had supreme weather in lockdown one. Now it's cold and wet :(

It's honestly cheered me right up on this miserable Tuesday morning. I was certain the rugby would be off again.

What is the justification for sport to go ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's honestly cheered me right up on this miserable Tuesday morning. I was certain the rugby would be off again.

What is the justification for sport to go ahead?

Elite sports, so presumably because they're all regularly being tested and they have the mechanisms/structures in place for protecting staff and players.

Elite sports, so presumably because they're all regularly being tested and they have the mechanisms/structures in place for protecting staff and players.

Presumably this yeah.

I'd wager the guys are all in camp 100% of the time until after the France game at least getting tested every few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Is Sexton injured at the minute? I was looking at the photos of training last week on inpho and he was the only one, bar O'Mahony and Farrell who were isolating, that I noticed not in any of the photos

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Is Sexton injured at the minute? I was looking at the photos of training last week on inpho and he was the only one, bar O'Mahony and Farrell who were isolating, that I noticed not in any of the photos

Whole squad trained yesterday apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Team to be named tomorrow afternoon according to Murray Kinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Team to be named tomorrow afternoon according to Murray Kinsella

The team according to Thornley;

Ireland v Italy (possible): Stockdale; Keenan, Ringrose, Aki, Conway; Sexton (capt), Murray; Healy, Heffernan, John Ryan, Beirne, James Ryan, Stander, van der Flier, Doris. Replacements: Herring, Ed Byrne, Porter, Roux/Dillane, O’Mahony, Gibson-Park, Ross Byrne, Henshaw.

The team according to Thornley;

Ireland v Italy (possible): Stockdale; Keenan, Ringrose, Aki, Conway; Sexton (capt), Murray; Healy, Heffernan, John Ryan, Beirne, James Ryan, Stander, van der Flier, Doris. Replacements: Herring, Ed Byrne, Porter, Roux/Dillane, O’Mahony, Gibson-Park, Ross Byrne, Henshaw.

Not a lot of experience there. We'll account for Italy, France on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That must be the weakest front 5 for a long time in a proper international

• Advertisement

Kelleher injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pretty much as expected, although I thought Herring might get the nod at hooker, but fair play to Dave Heffernen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ryan ahead of Porter?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ryan ahead of Porter?

Yeah, I dont see that being the case. I'd imagine Dillane would leapfrog Beirne too.

salmocab wrote: »
    That must be the weakest front 5 for a long time in a proper international

I would say the most inexperienced more like it. Heffernan has been the best hooker in Ireland this season so deserving of his start. Ryan is meh but does his job well, Beirne is a very good option in the second row considering the absentee’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ryan ahead of Porter?

Could only be because Porter isn't 100% yet after his injury.

Would like to see Heffernan get a run, Herring is grand but we know what he offers at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Pretty much as expected.

Would have expected the Connacht half backs on the bench, I think Marmion has proved himself countless times as an international 9, and Carty was been very good in Irish green/adds something different, but beyond that fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

The poor aul journos have been having awful luck with their early leaked teams lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

15. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 28 caps
    14. Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 21 caps
    13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 29 caps
    12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 26 caps
    11. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 91 caps Captain
    9. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 81 caps
    1. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 98 caps
    2. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 11 caps
    3. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
    4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
    5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
    6. Caelan Doris (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    7. Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
    8. CJ Stander (Munster/Shannon) 41 caps

Replacements

16. Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 1 cap
    17. Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
    18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Corinthians) 9 caps
    19. Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 15 caps
    20. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 67 caps
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster) uncapped
    22. Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 6 caps
    23. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 43 caps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Connors noice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

Big calls
    Gibson-Park on bench
    Keenan on wing

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Where is Marmion, on form he should start.
    Delighted for Heffernan.
    Great for connors too.
    Henshaw needs a few games @ 15 for Leinster so he can try play there for Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,843 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thornley way out

4 debuts in the 23 is surely the highest for a 6N game in recent memory? I know circumstances are different but still that's fantastic to see.

Add to that the single cap for Heffernan and Doris (excluding his 4 minute debut) it's a really new feel to it.

First starts for Heff and Doris too if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

4 debuts in the 23 is surely the highest for a 6N game in recent memory? I know circumstances are different but still that's fantastic to see.

Add to that the single cap for Heffernan and Doris (excluding his 4 minute debut) it's a really new feel to it.

First starts for Heff and Doris too if I'm not mistaken?

Doris started against Scotland and also came off the bench against England earlier in the year I think.

Some positive signs there in the pack too.

Heffernan is quite and under rated carrier and I think he has lovely hands. Could easily build a few strike plays around him.

Connors can do the lions share of the line speed and defensive work freeing up Doris to take on more ball.

Ryan and Stander had far too much of the responsibility for carrying so great to see potentially 2 more options there.

Connors and Beirne might make a formidable duo in defence. Can't think of anyone with a better chop tackle than Will and few can match Tadghs speed at getting over the ball.

Lineouts could be a cause for concern. None of the backrow would be standouts. Doris well capable of getting up at the front though

Kevski wrote: »
    Doris started against Scotland and also came off the bench against England earlier in the year I think.

Sorry you're right he did start against Scotland but his cap against Scotland did last less than 4 minutes.

In my mind he's had one test match of significant experience to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Decent enough side considering the injury problems. Delighted for Keenan. His rise has been so quick. Was putting in good performances pre-lockdown, but they were middling league games. Upon the restart he went up another level so quickly. Started all our big games and performed well.

Only issues I have with the team are Sexton and POM. Italy at home is our easiest fixture so there's no better time to bed in a potential successor. And POM is a waste of a bench spot. Been in awful firm since the restart and was lucky to even make the wider squad.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Decent enough side considering the injury problems. Delighted for Keenan. His rise has been so quick. Was putting in good performances pre-lockdown, but they were middling league games. Upon the restart he went up another level so quickly. Started all our big games and performed well.

Only issues I have with the team are Sexton and POM. Italy at home is our easiest fixture so there's no better time to bed in a potential successor. And POM is a waste of a bench spot. Been in awful firm since the restart and was lucky to even make the wider squad.

POM on the bench is a bit of a head scratcher alright. If we need one more try and there's 15 mins left, he's not exactly the back row player to open the field up.
    Perhaps it's just lack of choice there really as VDFs main traits are more defensive than offensive.

Conan would make much more sense

• Administrators Posts: 54,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thornley way out

Thornley furiously phoning his sources at this point in time I'd say. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Would Doris at 8 and CJ at 6 make more sense or am I way out?

mfceiling wrote: »

Established 8, 9 and 10 for more direction off set piece I would think

Some interesting calls there. Don't think anyone can accuse Farrell of being conservative anyway. The only selection I'd disagree with is POM tbh. Would have thought Conan off the bench would have been more what we needed given we're looking for scores. But it's a very callow bench in the forwards at least so the experience and leadership is probably a big factor there.

mfceiling wrote: »

I would have thought so, but I suppose Doris doesn't have a huge amount of time at 8, especially in bigger games. As syd said, the experience of Stander there probably makes sense. It will be interesting to see how they plan to use POM though? Does he come in for Connors or onto the blindside? If its the latter, Doris could move to 8 potentially.

• Advertisement

Just had a thought.

The anthems are gonna be weird this weekend.

Presumably they wont have Michael D there. Nor will they have the marching band.

I think it's going to be bizarre seeing the teams singing in an empty stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Just had a thought.

The anthems are gonna be weird this weekend.

Presumably they wont have Michael D there. Nor will they have the marching band.

I think it's going to be bizarre seeing the teams singing in an empty stadium

Ireland’s Call is going to be an atrocity, and i don’t even usually mind it. the others might be okay though.

Think the team is fine. I don't really think our tight 5 is great but he's probably picked the best available, we just don't have the personnel there with the injuries, Healy getting on etc. Didn't expect Connors to start at all and Keenan has had some rise. I think Aki is the right call, he's been really good this season. Dunno what POM has to do to get dropped but apparently less than doing nothing in game bar getting sent off, and hopefully JGP gets some meaningful gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i assume O’Mahony is there to give the hookers an easy target at the front of the lineout if it’s all going ****eways. which, given our line outs lately, fair enough.

still wouldn’t have picked him mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think the team is fine. I don't really think our tight 5 is great but he's probably picked the best available, we just don't have the personnel there with the injuries, Healy getting on etc. Didn't expect Connors to start at all and Keenan has had some rise. I think Aki is the right call, he's been really good this season. Dunno what POM has to do to get dropped but apparently less than doing nothing in game bar getting sent off, and hopefully JGP gets some meaningful gametime.

Bizarre choice, you'd swear he's the only backrower we have who can jump.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement