Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

eagle eye wrote: »
    Gotta say I like Mac Jones a lot. He is very similar to Brady coming out of college with question marks over his deep ball. He's probably more developed than Brady was. What I like about him is how quick he gets the ball out of his hands, his footwork and awareness in the pocket, how quick he checks down and his reading of the defense. Another hugely important trait is making the right decision when the play breaks down whether that's taking the sack or getting rid of the ball, he doesn't make stupid decisions like trying run run backwards and get the throw away and lose huge yardage if he gets sacked or try and throw it with a defender in his face.

Assuming he's still on the board, I think he'd be the most likely choice Bill would make at QB.
    He'd have a very good awareness of who/what Jones is thanks to his relationship with Saban.
    But we all know Bill wont spend a pick for a positional need alone, the player needs to be worth the pick, so the question is - is Mac Jones at top 15 talent in the draft, or at least close to that?

I'm not just asking that question to cast doubt, I really have no idea myself as I haven't watched any film of Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

BizzyC wrote: »
    Assuming he's still on the board, I think he'd be the most likely choice Bill would make at QB.
    He'd have a very good awareness of who/what Jones is thanks to his relationship with Saban.
    But we all know Bill wont spend a pick for a positional need alone, the player needs to be worth the pick, so the question is - is Mac Jones at top 15 talent in the draft, or at least close to that?

I'm not just asking that question to cast doubt, I really have no idea myself as I haven't watched any film of Jones.

You could probably trade down a bit and still get him. There are a lot of qb needy teams but there is some highly regarded star power in this draft. 4 or more QBs are expected to go ahead of Jones near as I can see.

If anyone loses out I reckon they will largely wait till next year. As for his play, from what I have seen is decent accuracy, good movement within the pocket. However the negative is I doubt anyone has an accurate evaluation on him. He had the world's greatest armchair ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd prefer Jimmy G back to spending a high pick on an unknown QB prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Based on what I've seen of Jimmy G these past two years I'd rather James Winston and that's not because I rate James Winston highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Based on what I've seen of Jimmy G these past two years I'd rather James Winston and that's not because I rate James Winston highly.

I'd take the entertainment of Winston throwing 5000 yards, 30 TDs and 30 Int over Cam's 100 yards, 0 TDs and 1 Int.

• Advertisement

As a favre fan I'd love to see Winston playing in NE. He's got the same mentality as favre had, throw it up there :P (albeit with less success). NE could coach him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

ELM327 wrote: »
    As a favre fan I'd love to see Winston playing in NE. He's got the same mentality as favre had, throw it up there :P (albeit with less success). NE could coach him.

I'd love it too, but you'd have to give up a kings randsom to get him, too many draftpicks that we need elsewhere

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'd love it too, but you'd have to give up a kings randsom to get him, too many draftpicks that we need elsewhere

He's a free agent this year, he only signed a 1 year contract last off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

He's a free agent this year, he only signed a 1 year contract last off-season.

Sorry, misread your post as Watson

I wouldn't take Winston in NE right now.
    He throws the ball up too much and relies on his receivers making big plays.
    We need 4-5 new receivers to have any success with that kinda mentality at the helm.
    We need someone who will protect the ball and work through the progressions/options correctly.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »

Assuming you're referring to Watson, I'd love him to be in NE too but he'd have the same problem as he does in texas - albeit without the hatred for the GM - which is no receiver corp and not much to speak of. No point giving up 2 firsts or something like that for him.

If Watson gives inklings about holding out, the Texans will progressively lose leverage and we may get him for less than expected.

I wouldn't take Winston in NE right now.
    He throws the ball up too much and relies on his receivers making big plays.
    We need 4-5 new receivers to have any success with that kinda mentality at the helm.
    We need someone who will protect the ball and work through the progressions/options correctly.
    Agree
    Winston will give you TDs, and also INTs. We have the defense (assuming our holdouts come back) to manage some INTs.

I don't think even the '85 Bears could cope with Winston's interceptions :D

I mean, you'd have to imagine he'd throw less interceptions in a short passing game like NE compared to the "deep shot first" in tampa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Why are we bringing Patricia back? Can't get the thinking behind that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why are we bringing Patricia back? Can't get the thinking behind that

BB is a huge fan of his, and much like McDaniels just because you flopped in your try out as a HC doesn't mean you have no value as a AC.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

BB is a huge fan of his, and much like McDaniels just because you flopped in your try out as a HC doesn't mean you have no value as a AC.

Our defenses were not the mae west when he was in situ. Flores was a significant improvement. It also calls into question the role of Steve Belichick and Mayo going forward.

Our defenses were not the mae west when he was in situ. Flores was a significant improvement. It also calls into question the role of Steve Belichick and Mayo going forward.

Mayo might not be there next season. He's made it very clear that becoming a head coach at any level is his primary goal. If the Tennessee Volunteers came calling he'd be gone I think. There's more than just them that would interest him I think in college football. Like he's already had an interview for an NFL head coaching position after two years coaching and not even being a co-ordinator.

I dont think Matt P will change too much about the D in the shortterm.
    Been reported he'll be a "project" based role for now, what that means remains to be seen.

The real question I'd have is how this affects Josh. Last week Josh was the one and only person in play to take over from BB when he retires.
    If Matt P hangs around being BB's right hand man, that natural progression for Josh is less clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

I dont think Matt P will change too much about the D in the shortterm.
    Been reported he'll be a "project" based role for now, what that means remains to be seen.

The real question I'd have is how this affects Josh. Last week Josh was the one and only person in play to take over from BB when he retires.
    If Matt P hangs around being BB's right hand man, that natural progression for Josh is less clear cut.

Josh was the highest paid co-ordinator in the league when he signed his last deal so there's plenty reason to stay over walking into a toxic environment as head coach elsewhere.
    You see these deals all the time in the nfl guys going back to there roots and rebuilding there career. I wouldn't read too much into it other than he will move on to college DC level quietly at some stage or become a coaching "consultant" hire that tends to get jobs off 1st time or green head coaches.

OK so last night I was happy to see Tom win another SB....but I'd like him to stop now.

I dont like the prospect of seeing Tampa in the hunt every offseason for the next couple years..

• Advertisement

I was delighted for Brady. If there was anybody claiming he wasn't the GOAT then that ended any argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I was delighted for Brady. If there was anybody claiming he wasn't the GOAT then that ended any argument.

Honestly, if anyone had been unclear on his status in the game before last night they weren't worth worrying about.

Very happy for him and Gronk actually, tinged with sadness but yeah it's an amazing achievement.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I reckon TB have another 2-3 year window where they can win more ring(s).
    Tom is still throwing the ball with zip belying his increasing years. He's gonna fall off the cliff the way Peyton did at some point but Brady has always says he'll play until "he sucks".

Speaking of Peyton, I thought it was odd seeing him inducted to the HOF, given the 5 year retired criteria, while Brady is still playing and winning!

Tom is still throwing the ball with zip belying his increasing years. He's gonna fall off the cliff the way Peyton did at some point but Brady has always says he'll play until "he sucks".

Speaking of Peyton, I thought it was odd seeing him inducted to the HOF, given the 5 year retired criteria, while Brady is still playing and winning!

Since Peyton retired, Tom has won 3 more rings.... crazy

I was delighted for Brady.

But you said at the start of the season that you didn't want him or Gronk to do well, and that you hoped things went badly for them at Tampa? :confused:

Getting booed on the field before SB 50 really lit a fresh fire in Brady's soul imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But you said at the start of the season that you didn't want him or Gronk to do well, and that you hoped things went badly for them at Tampa? :confused:

Chap can change his mind, its happens especially after a decent amount of time has passed. The initial reaction after a player moves team can be quite emotional.

Like with me when Coutinho manufactured a move from Liverpool I was pretty crushed and hated him - but later on was quite happy to see him winning the Champions League.

Like with me when Coutinho manufactured a move from Liverpool I was pretty crushed and hated him - but later on was quite happy to see him winning the Champions League.

Coutinho! Ha, Jaysus, I think there's a bit of a difference between Phillipe bloody Coutinho who achieved the grand sum of sweet fúck all apart from a few goals of the week in 5 years and threw his toys out of the pram to force a move away, and Tom Brady who gave 20 years of all time greatness and left lifelong memories and 6 championships behind him.

Id question the maturity of anyone who took any position other than wishing him well! Emotion me bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Since Peyton retired, Tom has won 3 more rings.... crazy

Only the Manning brothers were really stopping him beforehand.....:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote:
    Well I certainly won't be watching them. I refuse to watch the GOAT in another uniform, it'd hurt too much. I don't hold anything against him, he will always be my favourite player.
    But you said at the start of the season that you didn't want him or Gronk to do well, and that you hoped things went badly for them at Tampa?
    The above I believe was my only post about Brady.
    I may have had another post where I said the Patriots come first.
    I didn't watch the Bucs play until very late in the season when we were definitely out and I wanted Brady to do it then.
    Gronk is different. I don't like that he retired and then unretired and forced a trade away. I do remember though that he said he'd never play with any other QB so I guess that's fair enough.
    Brady clearly made an agreement in 2019 which gave him the option to move on. I don't think there's any ill will there with the organisation. I suspect he wanted more input into FA signings and some involvement in coaching and wasn't going to get that as a player in New England. Arians spoke about how he let him coach and the major role he played in some of their FA signings.

Advertisement