Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Imagine if he won a SB and got into the HOF as a journeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Part of me wants to see Fitzmagic take the wheels on a run first offence and ride Harris and Michel all the way to the playoffs.

He'd hate that though, the dude just wants throw all over the field:D:D

Of all the FA wr's I really hope we go for Curtis Samuel. Only 24, not massively expensive like Golloday and he's about to break out IMO. He can do it all, the modern wr/rb hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Of all the FA wr's I really hope we go for Curtis Samuel. Only 24, not massively expensive like Golloday and he's about to break out IMO. He can do it all, the modern wr/rb hybrid.

You're right on his talent but I think many will be surprised at the kind of money he'll probably get. Teams know this as well and it only takes 1 team with cap space for his price to rocket up (many teams end up bidding against themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Seems to be confirmed now that Newton is returning on a 1 year deal, worth up to 14million

Doesn't signal going for it anyway!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seems to be confirmed now that Newton is returning on a 1 year deal, worth up to 14million

Wonder if it is essentially a QB coach role that also let's the rookie sit on the bench for a bit while getting up to speed (and allows NE to get actual receivers before they get traumatised).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

5 million base salary, with another 9 million in incentives. Hopefully he winds up as the back-up to a QB we pick in the draft.

Christy42 wrote:
    Wonder if it is essentially a QB coach role that also let's the rookie sit on the bench for a bit while getting up to speed (and allows NE to get actual receivers before they get traumatised).

They need to get the rookie qb pick right. Hard to see them trading up for Lance or Field's, I'd be happy if they did though.
    Kellen Mond in the second is intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Cannon traded to the Texans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

paulie21 wrote: »
    Cannon traded to the Texans

For a swap of our 4th, 5th and 6th round picks.

We'll now have their 3rd pick in each of those rounds, they'll have our 15th.

Saves $6.2m in cap - few reporters saying he likely would have been cut anyway

We have an awful lot of cap space. I hope we do something exciting with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

For a swap of our 4th, 5th and 6th round picks.

We'll now have their 3rd pick in each of those rounds, they'll have our 15th.

Saves $6.2m in cap - few reporters saying he likely would have been cut anyway

We have an awful lot of cap space. I hope we do something exciting with it.

Ooh, that's more than I expected we'd get tbh. Would most likely have been cut as you say, so that's a great little deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, free draft pick upgrades in essence and Texans get him for less than he'd probably get as a FA in return....

Hope we use the money to resign Andrews now.

Jonnu Smith! We have a TE again! :D

4 years, $50m.

Former Dolphins DT Davon Godchaux on a 2 year deal too. Worth up to $16m, per Schefter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

We have a receiving threat! What a day.

My expectations for the season just increased exponentially. We may actually convert on 3rd and long.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Masked Man wrote:
    We have a receiving threat! What a day.

My expectations for the season just increased exponentially. We may actually convert on 3rd and long.
    Just need a QB to pass the ball to him now.

Rumours on Matthew Judon and Curtis Samuel. Though Samuels price might get too high seemingly

Hoping Cam's influence may sway Samuel from there previous time at Carolina, all about the dollar though.

Judon done too holy crap

4 years 56 million

• Advertisement

Jalen Mills also. 4 years, $24m.

Get a WR, resign David Andrews and I'll be happy.

Deatrich Wise returning

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know what they've seen in Agholor to pay him that money.
    Why do you want a guy who can stretch the field when you don't have a QB that can get it there?

Kendrick Bourne joining too, finally we have weapons. Need to find a QB in the draft

eagle eye wrote:
    I don't know what they've seen in Agholor to pay him that money. Why do you want a guy who can stretch the field when you don't have a QB that can get it there?

Really don't think they're done at QB tbh

No official figures yet but rough calcs have us at around $15m space left - that's a crude estimate and could be way off depending on how some of today's deals are structured.

Hopefully there's enough to bring Andrews back.

Hightower rumoured to be restructuring to free up 6 million. A Gilmore trade would free up the same amount.

Though I have to admit - if we lost Thuney, Andrews and and Gilmore, we're worse than we were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Agholor looked good last season. That said, he is pricey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I like the signings so far, and the way the contracts are setup.

The big ones are front loaded, majority on the hook in the first 2 years.
    If we can sign a decent rookie QB, these big contracts will be less of a burden in terms of dead cap a few years time when we hopefully have that younger long-term QB prospect that we need to pay.
    We're making full use of the space we have right now, without selling out the team in 2024.

Jonnu Smith will be big though IMO, a TE who can move in space, catch screens, line up in the backfield.... he'll be like a more heavily targeted Hernandez.

Advertisement