Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

MOD NOTE to jakiah

You are new to the Horse racing forum
    We have a Forum Charter. Please read it before posting again.

Spamming
    Topics/posts that are just complete nonsense will be deleted, and the user will be infracted/banned.

Trolling
    A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

jakiah wrote: »
    If you cant see why posing sitting gurning for a jokey picture on the carcass of an animal you've just worked to death for sport wouldn't be perceived as cruel, then I don't know what to tell you.

If someone prominent in the meat industry was pictured taking the piss with the carcasses of slaughtered beef coming off the line in a slaughterhouse they'd be sacked.
    Anyone can pull a face on a camera, it's not representative of anything. Also, I doubt the incident was a joke to Elliott. In purely financial terms, he lost a decent horse that was providing him an income.

I think a full investigation should be done on his yard to ensure the welfare of his horses. I don't think he should be banned for a photo that could have taken the incident out of context.

Not sure this is a serious question. What do you think Horse Racing is? The horse died on the gallops, training to win races. That's the context the outsider sees this in.
    Yes it is a serious question.
    I am a MOD, and when I ask a question of a poster I am being serious.
    You said a trainer worked a horse to death, suggesting a link between his training and the horse death. Can you prove the link you are suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Anyone can pull a face on a camera, it's not representative of anything.

A picture of one of the most recognisable faces in racing in this context is representative of something - its representative of racing. A heavily publically-subsidised sport which already has a PR battle on its hands. That's the whole point.

This is a disaster for any racing fan. Threatening to ban me for pointing it out doesn't change the fact.

Anyone can pull a face on a camera, it's not representative of anything. Also, I doubt the incident was a joke to Elliott. In purely financial terms, he lost a decent horse that was providing him an income.

I think a full investigation should be done on his yard to ensure the welfare of his horses. I don't think he should be banned for a photo that could have taken the incident out of context.

Why is he smiling then?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Yes it is a serious question.
    I am a MOD, and when I ask a question of a poster I am being serious.
    You said a trainer worked a horse to death, suggesting a link between his training and the horse death. Can you prove the link you are suggesting?

All of the deaths of horses in racing are directly attributable to the animals being used for sport. That's just fact. As racing fans we accept this. What we don't accept is pictures of people taking the piss while sitting on the carcasses of animals who've just died on the gallops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Why is he smiling then?

Sweet Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Envoi 5/4 on the machine, the BHA would want to look at their own problems before they even think of banning Elliott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Can support that claim with facts?

Haha post of the thread for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

I am struggling to get behind the 'he done nothing wrong camp' if you drove past a couple of lads doing something similar in a park or a field I'm sure the majority would have plenty to say about. What elliot has or hasnt done in the racing world should be irrelevant he cant get a pass on the grounds that he has good horses. He has massively tarnished the image of the sport and should face consequences for that. What them consequences should be well that's not for me or us to be deciding here.

Between this picture and the stories doing the rounds of late it paints quite a bad picture of the man and someone is really out to get him

Wow! So now you know that 'everyone was having a laugh'
    Good job you're not into spreading gossip !
    Yes, I can see it now. Everyone else was standing around the sadly deceased horse in tears. In an act of mourning, Elliott for some reason straddled the horse, standing over it with one leg either side of the carcass. Perhaps the level of grief explains this bizarre action. Interrupting the somber scene, Elliott's phone rings. Exhausted by his tears, the grief stricken trainer sinks in despair onto the carcass to answer the call. An onlooker, through tears of his/her own takes out their phone, and calls out to Elliott. Elliott, summoning what strength remains in his grief stricken frame, looks up, heroically manages to smile and flashes the "peace" sign, perhaps asking for two minutes respite, or perhaps wishing the noble steed peace in the afterlife. Inspired by such courage, the phone holder manages to take a picture, and, despite their tears, manages to caption it with a joke, who knows, perhaps in tribute to the dead horses playful personality. The picture taken, Elliott and friends descend once more into inconsolable tears.

Or, maybe, they just didn't give a damn about it and were joking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

famagusta wrote: »
    Envoi 5/4 on the machine, the BHA would want to look at their own problems before they even think of banning Elliott

Bull****.

All of the deaths of horses in racing are directly attributable to the animals being used for sport. That's just fact. As racing fans we accept this. What we don't accept is pictures of people taking the piss while sitting on the carcasses of animals who've just died on the gallops.
    You are sidling away from your original comment that the trainer worked the horse to death.
    Can you prove your statement? I am waiting for your proof.
    If not I will treat it as a case of Trolling.

You may call yourself a racing fan, but you have never posted on the Horse racing forum.
    You are a new boards.ie registration (first post two hours ago).
    All your posts on the Horse Racing forum are on this Gordon Elliott thread.

Trolling
    A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

How can people defend this ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Surrounded by scumbags? We all know about Labaik for **** sake. How is that "surrounded" he has hundreds of horses in training every year for decent people like myself, other people on here and other regular Joe soaps.

Here. Leave me out of this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I had a chat with him and the Pipes at a racecourse a while back. Are they scumbags?

You know exactly who I’m talking about and it isn’t the Pipe duo.

Bottom line here is if the Irish Independent ran a front page article this morning with the photo except they changed Gordon to a tinker, the backdrop was a tInker’s yard and the tinker gave Gordon’s explanation, there would quite rightly be uproar from people from all walks of life in Ireland.

The people defending Gordon in all of this need to have a word with themselves. I’ve seen a few people come out today saying he trained horses and he’s not the type of man to do such a thing, cop on. Elliott wouldn’t give any of you the steam off his piss. If you’re a small owner in his yard you’re nothing more than a number in his secretary’s phone and a cheque in his pocket every month. Whether he trains your horse or not, right is right and wrong is wrong. And in this instance, Gordon is most definitely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You are sidling away from your original comment that the trainer worked the horse to death.
    Can you prove your statement? I am waiting for your proof.
    If not I will treat it as a case of Trolling.

You may call yourself a racing fan, but you have never posted on the Horse racing forum.
    You are a new boards.ie registration (first post two hours ago).
    All your posts on the Horse Racing forum are on this Gordon Elliott thread.

Trolling

Are you being a mod or trying to argue the point? You seem to be using mod status as a way of making your point.

Anyway, I fell out of love with horse racing a few years ago, working with a problem gambler turned me off it and the fact that for a casual like me I might as well have set fire to my money. These images have just turned me further off it, it goes against the narrative of the horses being loved and adored, yes maybe the winners are but the rest are just meal tickets and I'd say F1 team owners treat their cars with more care and affection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Moon Dice wrote: »

"It was just banter"

Are you being a mod or trying to argue the point? You seem to be using mod status as a way of making your point.
    I have made no comments or points about Gordon Elliott or the image.
    As far as I can see am not making a point.
    A new registration on boards.ie with a first post two hours ago has posted nine times on the Gordon Elliott thread claiming the trainer worked a horse to death.

If I am making a point it is that that new posters, or other posters unfamiliar with the Horse Racing Forum Charter, are not allowed post comments breaking the rules.
    My posts reminded him about the Forum Charter (flaming, trolling), and I hope by asking him to provide proof it will indicate to him and others that we have rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Just won the first in Punchestown..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A new registration on boards.ie with a first post two hours ago has posted nine times on the Gordon Elliott thread claiming the trainer worked a horse to death.

If I am making a point it is that that new posters, or other posters unfamiliar with the Horse Racing Forum Charter, are not allowed post comments breaking the rules.
    My posts reminded him about the Forum Charter (flaming, trolling), and I hope by asking him to provide proof it will indicate to him and others that we have rules.

The timing of registration should have nothing to do with the point made. The horse died of a heart attack on the gallops, being worked to death isn't that wild theory. You seem to be biased here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

You asked for evidence to support the assertion Elliott worked the horse to death.

The evidence is the photo that is the subject of the whole thread...

Elliott is pictured sitting on the dead horse. Smiling. The picture was taken on the gallops. Where the horse was working...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

This story will blow over eventually. Maybe the owner who was told the horse was her's/his when it died will sell a story, the person or persons who shared it will make a few quid and/or damage GE reputation. In the end people who know him and use his services will either trust him or not.

Once he stays away from Sean and the Radio he'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You asked for evidence to support the assertion Elliott worked the horse to death.

The evidence is the photo that is the subject of the whole thread...

Elliott is pictured sitting on the dead horse. Smiling. The picture was taken on the gallops. Where the horse was working...

The phrase 'worked to death' implies much more than a benign 'happened to die while working'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not defending it at all, what he did is wrong.

Struggling to see what he's done to deserve being banned, other than damaging the reputation of racing, which seems a very woolly sort accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The timing of registration should have nothing to do with the point made. The horse died of a heart attack on the gallops, being worked to death isn't that wild theory. You seem to be biased here

Having a pretty extensive working knowledge of horses, it's a potential theory at best. The horse could have just as easily had an undiagnosed condition, and it could have happened in a field. Asking for proof that the workload was a direct cause of the horse's death is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

I am struggling to get behind the 'he done nothing wrong camp' if you drove past a couple of lads doing something similar in a park or a field I'm sure the majority would have plenty to say about. What elliot has or hasnt done in the racing world should be irrelevant he cant get a pass on the grounds that he has good horses. He has massively tarnished the image of the sport and should face consequences for that. What them consequences should be well that's not for me or us to be deciding here.

Between this picture and the stories doing the rounds of late it paints quite a bad picture of the man and someone is really out to get him
    MOD EDIT
    inappropriate language

Because they are as bad as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭boardise

I doubt anyone would defend this episode or suggest it isn't worthy of comment.
    I know nothing about any other aspect of GE's background or lifestyle except he's a talented and successful trainer who performed this silly act in a moment of madness.
    I'm taken aback at the storm of fury and invective unleashed by some posters at Elliott -one might think they were talking about a convicted paedophile or drug dealer.
    An incident took place which can be dealt with by a sanction (fine and /or suspension) for bringing racing into disrepute. Many sports feature disreputable behaviours and survive -look at racism in football ,drugs in cycling ,athletics etc. Players / sportspeople are not a breed apart -they're flawed humans like the rest of us.
    People need to lighten up a tad and relinquish this OTT lynch mob mentality.

Incidentally I was intrigued at people assuming that horses would be transferred to WPM -some might... but why not to de Bromhead, Meade ,Harrington etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Asking for proof is absolutely fair, I just didn't see the need to accuse the poster of trolling and bringing registration date etc into it

I can see it. It's a pretty serious accusation, and if true, has a much bigger consequence than sitting on the horse. New posters that jump straight onto a thread like this, throwing around accusations like that without any proof, is a little suspicious.

• Advertisement

The phrase 'worked to death' implies much more than a benign 'happened to die while working'.

The two phrases are only different to someone looking to understate the serious nature of what has happened here...

boardise wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would defend this episode or suggest it isn't worthy of comment.
    I know nothing about any other aspect of GE's background or lifestyle except he's a talented and successful trainer who performed this silly act in a moment of madness.
    I'm taken aback at the storm of fury and invective unleashed by some posters at Elliott -one might think they were talking about a convicted paedophile or drug dealer.
    An incident took place which can be dealt with by a sanction (fine and /or suspension) for bringing racing into disrepute. Many sports feature disreputable behaviours and survive -look at racism in football ,drugs in cycling ,athletics etc. Players / sportspeople are not a breed apart -they're flawed humans like the rest of us.
    People need to lighten up a tad and relinquish this OTT lynch mob mentality.

Incidentally I was intrigued at people assuming that horses would be transferred to WPM -some might... but why not to de Bromhead, Meade ,Harrington etc ?

And the whataboutery commences.
    Show me another sport where one participant sits on the dead body of another, lording it and laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

And the whataboutery commences.
    Show me another sport where one participant sits on the dead body of another, lording it and laughing.

Hey, keep Cork Hurling out of this now, boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What usually happens when trainers get a short term ban, e.g. say Elliott got a 2 month ban?

Do you have to move to another trainer to ensure your horse runs at Cheltenham and/or Aintree?

O'Leary in particular has said he accepts the apology so he'll clearly still have his horses under Elliott when his licence resumes (in the example of a 2 months ban). But O'Leary won't want his horses to miss Cheltenham, especially as he's winding down. A temporary move to another stable (would the horse literally have to move stable?) or could Elliott's number two take over?

It's on liveline now . The caller John said he was in tears when he read about it. He nearly burst into tears again when Joe pointed out that dead horses get taken to the knickers yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's on liveline now . The caller John said he was in tears when he read about it. He nearly burst into tears again when Joe pointed out that dead horses get taken to the knickers yard.

The knickers yard??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If it’s on liveline then he’s in serious trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The statement/explanation from Elliott sounded like made up nonsense. His reputation very damaged.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It is nice to have new posters on the Horse Racing forum.
    Please read the Charter if you are a first time poster.

I have allowed new posters a little leeway but do not make unsubstantiated comments, or stray into moderating the forum.
    A short while ago I issued a first warning, and more will follow as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

There's more new posters appearing here now than the ones aftertiming on Cheltenham week

Would an ICU doctor hop up on a covid 19 victim for a peace sign and a selfie? The act in itself was cruel and disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,292 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly. I cannot see what the fuss is about. He sat on a horse that was already dead and took a phone call, what is the big deal. I wonder will the 'outraged' among us decide to not back Elliots horses from now on, I doubt it somehow.

It’s total disrespect to the very animals he makes his living from and to their owners. It’s not a great leap to believe that if someone can disrespect a dead animal then he can disrespect a live one too. It’s a disgusting photograph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

The statement/explanation from Elliott sounded like made up nonsense. His reputation very damaged.

Statement is cobblers tbh, he's tarnished but not greatly damaged tbh, his success isn't measured by his fanbase.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

The two phrases are only different to someone looking to understate the serious nature of what has happened here...

ah tbf there's a difference between overworking a horse to the point of death and the callous behavior from him here. It's disgusting and he deserves whatever comes to him but there's nothing to say he was neglectful to cause the death of the horse or anything. For what it's worth if he lost all of his sponsors & some big contracts and a fine/ban I think that's totally appropriate. If he was found to be causing the death of horses that's something way difference and needs something more severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

bladespin wrote: »
    Statement is cobblers tbh, he's tarnished but not greatly damaged tbh, his success isn't measured by his fanbase.

I read the statement before anything else and I thought "probably dodgy, but might be genuine". Then I saw the photo and its clear as day that the statement / apology is nonsense.

• Advertisement

A warm welcome to out new Horse Racing fans
    nsnoefc1878; jakiah; LollipopJimmy; JibJabWibWab

Any new posts by the above will abide by the Forum Charter.

Tracy Piggott is on liveline now feeling outraged. I guess it's her only outlet to discuss horse related stuff nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Lads, if you're in here to defend, excuse or whitewash what happened, just don't.
    FFS
    Just don't.

It is what it is
    He is what he is.

A warm welcome to out new Horse Racing fans
    nsnoefc1878; jakiah; LollipopJimmy; JibJabWibWab

Any new posts by the above will abide by the Forum Charter.

Do all new posters get a personal welcome from the moderator's? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Tracy Piggott is on liveline now feeling outraged. I guess it's her only outlet to discuss horse related stuff nowadays.

lol the same one who's husband was done for animal cruelty

• Advertisement
Advertisement