Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

Is this all about Trump taking confidential documents from the White House and not surrendering them back to the national archives? Is it about him hiding documents that may be in some way incriminating to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Classified documents. According to a CNN reporter, officials were in the house a number of weeks ago and Trumps lawyers showed them where the documents were kept.

The officials subsequently sent a letter requesting that better security be provided for the documents.

So it would appear that probable cause was more than met.

Why they required a search warrant rather than Trump simply handing them over is a question.

But they didn't do this lightly, the FBI and anyone connected with this, would be well aware of the potential backlash so it appears that this action would be a last resort.

Why would Trump continue to hold onto classified documents when he has been informed it was illegal and the US wanted them back ? What did he expect to gain from holding onto them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All the reports seem to suggest it's connected to the confidential paper-work that Trump took to Mar-a-Lago from the White house.

That in and of itself is a crime , but it's really really hard to see them going after him like this for taking random paperwork so you'd have to assume that the papers he has held on to are something that would be dangerous to him if made public.

All in all though , this is clearly a very serious escalation of the proceedings against Trump.

I hope a prosecution is the outcome- otherwise this will be seen as a witch hunt just to discredit Trump- I do hope it’s not just an aimless search based on a technicality of law. And the Biden camp better not be anywhere near this - if it’s found to be anything other than an objective and totally independent investigation free from political interference, then the democrats have handed the next election to the republicans

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Biden only found out after it had been tweeted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re your ?,s in your last para, the mindset of a "privileged" person used to thinking "its all mine and no one else's", then, in his dotage, gifted with the presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Inserts 'why not both' meme.

Seriously though, trump is keeping those documents because they're valuable to him (Can't exactly see him being a hoarder). Whether that is in financial or political currency or both, remains to be seen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know that in the original "15 Boxes" there were a number of gifts that had been given to him by foreign leaders which are not of course "his" but belong to the US and as such they weren't his to take home.

But I highly doubt that the raid is because of some expensive Crystal vase or whatever.

Whatever stuff Trump has held on to at this stage is obviously criminally damaging to him or someone near to him (e.g. Trump keeping them for leverage over someone).

But just for a second take stock of what actually happened last night.

A former POTUS has had a search warrant issued on foot of probable cause that he was involved in illegal activity and that evidence of such is in that house.

Forget about GOP, Dems or whatever, that in itself is an absolutely incredible thing to take place. Trump has now been impeached twice, sat by (if not actively encouraged) an attack on the capital and now is suspected by law enforcement of illegal activity to the extent that they feel confident that evidence not only exists of the crime but where that evidence is.

What the US wakes up to this morning is that either Trump is a criminal or the entire legal and policing system is totally corrupt. Trump, his supporters and it seems the GOP, prefer to want to believe that the second of these two possibilities is true. That in itself is much more troubling for the country. Trump will eventually be gone, but if the country really is so corrupt then it really no longer operates as a democracy. That is a pretty chilling 'truth' for these people to believe and raises serious and fundamental questions as to the future of the US.

A very good point.

There are really only two choices today - Either the current administration is wantonly corrupt or the previous one was.

That can be the only conclusion to arise from what has just happened and on balance of all available evidence I'm going with the latter being true , but a significant percentage of the American public will take option one.

This upcoming election cycle is going to be incredibly divisive and damaging to the US.

Dark times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yeah, I doubt it, Trump will side-step his way out of this and turn it all to his advantage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The DoJ and the FBI need to move quickly before any side step.

How is the NY tax investigation going?

I mean he'll totally fund-raise off of this , but hard to see how he "side steps" this , certainly not before next January with a potential GOP controlled House/Senate.

So the DOJ definitely need to get a move on and get things out in the open before the election.

The details of charges against Trump could be the "November surprise"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Apparently trump was destroying so many documents that he regularly blocked toilets in the White House..... trump always delivers comedy gold.

Given the Trump record of not complying with requests and subpoenas, the mention of officials visiting Trump's home, his lawyers showing them where the documents were stored and being told to increase the storage security. It's not surprising that a warrant was issued and used to secure the documents. If he left with documents he was entitled to have while serving as President, some-one might have had cause for concern on the class and content of documents he took to Mar-A-Lago with his sense of entitlement after the officials did the security check at his home. The Secret Service provide security there due to his status. With his alleged habit of flushing papers down the toilet, it'd be embarrassing if they found classified documents better shredded and burnt while doing internal security checks of the home. The documents security wasn't improved as Trump confirmed the FBI were able to open his safe and leave his home with boxes of documents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really hope this takes Trump down. The man is vile, nasty and corrupt and should be in a Prison cell.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Exactly.

And simply not returning top secret documents to the archive, while these documents lie somewhere in a box or a safe, would not really be enough for that. Because, effectively, the secrets are kept - no harm, no foul.

The following is pure speculation:

Probable cause would be if he sold top secret information to Saudi Arabia.

Probable cause would be if he sold top secret information to Russia.

Probable cause would be if he sold top secret information to Israel.

Probable cause would be if he sold top secret information to Saudi Arabia, Russia and Israel.

Probable cause would be if the documents contain evidence of one or more crimes committed by him or his associates.

While the most reasonable assumption is that there was indeed some significant probable cause, it's never a good idea to completely rule out incompetence as a driving factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,915 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see a federal court has ruled that House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee has the right to see former President Trumps's tax records

Man this has been a great week so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's beyond divisive when senior GOP figures continue to peddle the 2020 myth for their own gain. There was a dangerous assumption January 6th was a once off. I'm beginning to seriously worry it was a precursor to something larger, and more violent. When does it end? When Nancy Pelosi lies dead on the street? When the GOP have a majority again? The naked ambition of some seems to blind them to the raw petrol being turfed into this fire; I don't see where America pulls itself back.

We'll just have to wait and see. If there are/were other Trump safe boxes, I expect they've been emptied fast since Monday. Thinking in a "what if" way, I assume that Trump has a named heir who, on his demise, acts as his will-executor and opens the safe, deposit box where his personal documents are and "disappears" risky items. It's not exactly safe to rely on the Trump lawyers given that Rudy was careless with his record-keeping some years back and got caught on the hop when his offices in NYC were raided and safe opened by the FBI and documents he didn't expect the authorities to get hold of were seized. There's the example of Alex Jones lawyer sinking him a few days ago. EDIT: There are reports on a lot of world media sites that Alex sent an intimate [nude] photo of his wife to Roger Stone and she is supposedly responding to that information. I expect his lawyer/s may be busy again. Apparently the Sandy Hook lawyer Mark Bankston confirmed this as factual.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Advertisement

The reported comments of Trump in reference to his generals talking of loyalty and allegedly wishing they were like Hitler's generals is probably more of the kind of stated desire he made directly to the FBI director he fired soon after. Trump's made it plain he doesn't care if blood flows on US City streets.

In fairness, you'd have to have either be fair gullible, or have a fair bad case of TDS to believe that German generals story..come on..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Presumably as information comes out on what the Feds were after the narrative will slowly change, bit like the testimony that Trump tried to force his security detail on Jan 6th. Total dimissal, followed by small walk backs, followed by personalised attacks, followed by slowly slinking away.

Journalists speculating about the types of relevant documents have started mentioning things like nuclear codes, documents with processes on how organised crime is investigated, and lists with names of undercover CIA agents operating internationally.

Remember when guests at Mar-a-Lago proudly posted selfies with secret service agents holding the nuclear football?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump doesn't care but careerists such as Kevin McCarthy should but still stirs the pot. Then there's the truly, knowingly insane like Taylor-Greene or Boebert among others are screaming at volumes and intensity that's going to cause the pot to boil over. America always had a degree of anti-authoritarian and hostility for Big Government, but it's quickly turning into Any Government being the enemy. And the more the authorities try to prosecute these quasi-seditionists, the more entrenched they'll become. It can't end well.

It's still a tiny percentage chance, but the idea of a second civil war, or a proper secessionist movement, suddenly went from zero to single digits IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you think it is surprising that trump demands loyalty?

Taking the documents in the first place is the crime, the law signed off by Trump himself.

They can't afford to wait until they are actually sold on. There is a crime such as drug possession, you don't need to be caught actually taking it for it to be a crime.

The story so far seems to be that he took the documents, it was noted that he had taken them and he was asked to return them. His home was visited and extra security was requested. I'm not certain, but I assume the documents were again requested (nothing would have changed in terms of the need to return them). He refused to return them despite a warning of the potential crime. The FBI raid his house to retrieve the documents.

The probable cause was they knew the documents were in the house. They knew he knew they wanted them back, and they knew he was refusing to comply with the request.

It is very telling that in all the bluster from Fox, GOP heads, and supporters nobody is claiming that Trump didn't have the documents, not even Trump himself. Nobody is defending him. All they are doing is attacking everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He suggested injecting bleach to cure covid. Anything's possible.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Why haven't Trump or his lawyers released the search warrant? That right there suggests guilt of something straight away does it not?

• Advertisement

Yes, of course - taking the documents in itself is, theoretically, a crime. But as long as nothing else nefarious is going on, the justice department would, arguably, think twice before executing a search warrant for a relatively minor offence. They were most certainly aware of the political backlash.

There has been some reasonable speculation about something more serious triggering the warrant, and about people with knowledge of what's going on co-operating with the FBI.

Unsurprisingly, bulk emails started going out right away: "my house has been searched, donate $40 immediately!"

Advertisement