Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Beasty wrote: »
    No-one getting near yet

So I'll take away that bonus point, and tell you it happened in 2013

Oh, and Reynolds was also known as the "Balbriggan Flyer"

Cycling?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

feargale wrote: »
    Cycling?

Mr Reynolds is reputed to have ridden up the hill to Ardgillan from the cost road on a fixed wheel bike....

....backwards!

Still need the guy who took a World Championship in 2013 (who actually lives not too far away from Balbriggan)

Mr Reynolds is reputed to have ridden up the hill to Ardgillan from the cost road on a fixed wheel bike....

....backwards!

Still need the guy who took a World Championship in 2013 (who actually lives not too far away from Balbriggan)

Martin Early?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    I think I owe a question. What is tangzhong?
    Bump!

Tang is a village in Westmeath. Would it be a song about Tang sung by an intoxicated Chinese gentleman?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Some form of food?

Closer. It's an ingredient of sort.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Martin Early?
    Nope, but in a way remarkably close, although Earley never participated in the event the other guy became World Champion in (and the other guy never competed in a Grand Tour, while Earley competed in a dozen)

Nope, but in a way remarkably close, although Earley never participated in the event the other guy became World Champion in (and the other guy never competed in a Grand Tour, while Earley competed in a dozen)

Dan Martin?

• Advertisement

Anyway I owe half a question. Which country issued two stamps honouring a military leader who led a revolt against that country?

Dan Martin?

And again, very close in one way, but wide of the mark in another:pac:

Re-bump. Hint: look in the food thread.

Right, I'll knock this on the head. Tangzhong is a water roux (a roux made by cooking 1 part of flour in 5 parts of water until it reaches 65 degrees Celsius), which is then added to the usual ingredients (flour, water, yeast and salt and very often milk, egg and butter) to make an extremely soft bread which stays fresh for days.

Now, for something entirely different - what were the names of the young hero and his horse in The Neverending Story? I don't mean the child reading the book. Also, for half a bonus point 'cause this one's easy, who sang the theme song?

Right, I'll knock this on the head. Tangzhong is a water roux (a roux made by cooking 1 part of flour in 5 parts of water until it reaches 65 degrees Celsius, which is then added to the usual ingredients (flour, water, yeast and salt) to make an extremely soft bread which stays fresh for days.

Now, for something entirely different - what were the names of the young hero and his horse in The Neverending Story? I don't mean the child reading the book. Also, for half a bonus point 'cause this one's easy, who sang the theme song?

Falkor was the flying dog/horse I think? Can’t remember the rest but they might come back to me. Watched jt many times as a kid.

Yep, Falkor was the white furry creature dragon dog snake type of thing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I know your man's name I think but not the horse's. The horse I think was want so unless it was snowmane or something like that. Atreu (not sure of spelling - ah-TRAY-you) was your man's name if I recall correctly.

You've got Atreyu all right, but you're nowhere near the right answer for the horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The song was sung by Limahl

• Advertisement

Indeed it was. :)

And again, very close in one way, but wide of the mark in another:pac:

OK, as no-one seems to be getting any closer
    It's not Martin Early
    It's not Dan Martin

....it's Martyn Irvine, who took the World track championship scratch race title in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So between Irish Zeus, Keane and Bonzodog we have the Neverending Story answer, contributions of questions from any or all would be appreciated. feargale's question about stamps is still open and Beasty needs a replacement question.

Go for it lads! We will have an avalanch, a tsunami of questions!

looksee wrote: »
    So between Irish Zeus, Keane and Bonzodog we have the Neverending Story answer, contributions of questions from any or all would be appreciated. feargale's question about stamps is still open and Beasty needs a replacement question.

There's still the matter of the horse, looksee. :)

OK, as no-one seems to be getting any closer
    It's not Martin Early
    It's not Dan Martin

....it's Martyn Irvine, who took the World track championship scratch race title in 2013

OK, Beasty. Give us another.

looksee wrote: »

i'm stumped.

• Advertisement

There's still the matter of the horse, looksee. :)

Oh sorry, I got mixed up between horses and furry dragon things. So much for housekeeping!

OK, Beasty. Give us another.
    OK, another cycling one
    Shay Elliot was the first Irish cyclist to win stages in each of the Grand Tour events (Tour de France, Vuelta Espana and Giro d'Italia)

Who is the only other Irishman to do so?

OK, another cycling one
    Shay Elliot was the first Irish cyclist to win stages in each of the Grand Tour events (Tour de France, Vuelta Espana and Giro d'Italia)

Who is the only other Irishman to do so?

That's Sam Bennett right?

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's Sam Bennett right?

yep - your turn

Cool. I'll get two up - one for the Neverending Story answer as well. Back shortly.

• Advertisement

What is unusual about tempera painting?

What is unusual about the paintings of British Turner Prize-winning painter Chris Ofili?

keane2097 wrote: »
    What is unusual about tempera painting?
    It contains egg?

It contains egg?

Yep that's it - egg yolk apparently

Sorry, I forgot I owed a question, while I was waiting for the name of Atreyu's horse.

So, what's an ouroboros?

Sorry, I forgot I owed a question, while I was waiting for the name of Atreyu's horse.

So, what's an ouroboros?

It’s a snake eating it’s tail, a symbol of eternity

That's correct. Your turn, Irish Zeus.

On which US denomination would you find the Eye of Providence?

(Not many available answers here I know, but I didn’t have a question ready)

Dollar?

Dollar?

Sorry NH - looking for the dollar amount way too easy otherwise :D

• Advertisement

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Sorry NH - looking for the dollar amount way too easy otherwise :D
    Sorry, I meant one dollar... But I left it ambiguous on purpose! :D

Actually... Is it not on all their banknotes?

I had thought it was just the one dollar bill, but open to correction. Apologies if I posted an incorrect question - done in a rush!

Your question either way NH!

I don't think I've ever seen any dollars in real life, ever. :D

It is said that Nero played the violin as he watched Rome burn. If he had been playing an instrument at all it wouldn't have been a violin, which was invented much much later. So, what would he have been playing instead?

I think anyone who has seen US dollars in real life would agree that they are the most boring, difficult to differentiate, tedious with their $1 bill that looks virtually identical to all the others, currency in the world. (In fairness maybe Chinese or Russian money is worse, but I haven't seen any of it :D )

I don't think I've ever seen any dollars in real life, ever. :D

It is said that Nero played the violin as he watched Rome burn. If he had been playing an instrument at all it wouldn't have been a violin, which was invented much much later. So, what would he have been playing instead?

Lyre

Of course he could have been simultaneously playing the eejit.

Correct! Away you go, Feargale.

d4,d5;
    c4

What is it?

Anyway I owe half a question. Which country issued two stamps honouring a military leader who led a revolt against that country?

This one has been missed. Any takers? Need a clue or two (or three)?

• Advertisement

d4,d5;
    c4

What is it?
    Check mate?

Advertisement