Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

feargale wrote: »
    I'm guessing Wimbledon singles. There were a few Irish winners around that time. Next? James Cecil Parke? c. 1907?
    On second thoughts maybe wrestling. Would next up be Danno Mahony from Ballydehob c. 1945?

Nope & Nope

Just to add, I reckon it happened in all our lifetimes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Beasty wrote: »
    Nope & Nope

Just to add, I reckon it happened in all our lifetimes.....

Given the forum we’re in, that’s narrows it down to sometime after 1820. Very helpful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Given the forum we’re in, that’s narrows it down to sometime after 1820. Very helpful.

Whippersnapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

IrishZeus wrote: »

No, it means it happened in the last 15 years. Give or take a year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

looksee wrote: »
    No, it means it happened in the last 15 years. Give or take a year.
    Not quite as I intended it, but not inaccurate either...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think I owe a question. What is tangzhong?

A musical instrument?

No. You're very far away from the answer. (It does sound like it should be, though, doesn't it? Some kind of gourd lute, or something. :)).

I looked it up, and yes, no :D Of interest though.

Harry Reynolds became a World Champion in a particular sport in 1896. Who was the next Irishman to take a senior World Championship in that sport (and a bonus point for the year)?
    No-one getting near yet

So I'll take away that bonus point, and tell you it happened in 2013

Oh, and Reynolds was also known as the "Balbriggan Flyer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

No-one getting near yet

So I'll take away that bonus point, and tell you it happened in 2013

Oh, and Reynolds was also known as the "Balbriggan Flyer"

Cycling?

Cycling?

Mr Reynolds is reputed to have ridden up the hill to Ardgillan from the cost road on a fixed wheel bike....

....backwards!

Still need the guy who took a World Championship in 2013 (who actually lives not too far away from Balbriggan)

Mr Reynolds is reputed to have ridden up the hill to Ardgillan from the cost road on a fixed wheel bike....

....backwards!

Still need the guy who took a World Championship in 2013 (who actually lives not too far away from Balbriggan)

Martin Early?

New Home wrote: »
    Bump!

Tang is a village in Westmeath. Would it be a song about Tang sung by an intoxicated Chinese gentleman?

No.

Some form of food?

Closer. It's an ingredient of sort.

Martin Early?
    Nope, but in a way remarkably close, although Earley never participated in the event the other guy became World Champion in (and the other guy never competed in a Grand Tour, while Earley competed in a dozen)

Nope, but in a way remarkably close, although Earley never participated in the event the other guy became World Champion in (and the other guy never competed in a Grand Tour, while Earley competed in a dozen)

Dan Martin?

• Advertisement

Anyway I owe half a question. Which country issued two stamps honouring a military leader who led a revolt against that country?

Dan Martin?

And again, very close in one way, but wide of the mark in another:pac:

Re-bump. Hint: look in the food thread.

Right, I'll knock this on the head. Tangzhong is a water roux (a roux made by cooking 1 part of flour in 5 parts of water until it reaches 65 degrees Celsius), which is then added to the usual ingredients (flour, water, yeast and salt and very often milk, egg and butter) to make an extremely soft bread which stays fresh for days.

Now, for something entirely different - what were the names of the young hero and his horse in The Neverending Story? I don't mean the child reading the book. Also, for half a bonus point 'cause this one's easy, who sang the theme song?

Right, I'll knock this on the head. Tangzhong is a water roux (a roux made by cooking 1 part of flour in 5 parts of water until it reaches 65 degrees Celsius, which is then added to the usual ingredients (flour, water, yeast and salt) to make an extremely soft bread which stays fresh for days.

Now, for something entirely different - what were the names of the young hero and his horse in The Neverending Story? I don't mean the child reading the book. Also, for half a bonus point 'cause this one's easy, who sang the theme song?

Falkor was the flying dog/horse I think? Can’t remember the rest but they might come back to me. Watched jt many times as a kid.

Yep, Falkor was the white furry creature dragon dog snake type of thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I know your man's name I think but not the horse's. The horse I think was want so unless it was snowmane or something like that. Atreu (not sure of spelling - ah-TRAY-you) was your man's name if I recall correctly.

You've got Atreyu all right, but you're nowhere near the right answer for the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The song was sung by Limahl

• Advertisement

Indeed it was. :)

Advertisement