Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Gemma O'Doherty have been given a chance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The thing is, the further down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole she goes, the more she undermines anything she’s said or done in the past
    I agree with you. The Irish Cancer Society thing for example. But for her work on the penalty points I doubt we would now know about the drink driving tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gemma again showing her true colour's by defending trump and brett kavanagh on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

I think we have our full quota of nuts on the list without the need for anymore.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Gemma again showing her true colour's by defending trump and brett kavanagh on twitter

Just read her twitter for the first time. Is it possible that it has been hacked in some way. Wow way to **** on your legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just read her twitter for the first time. Is it possible that it has been hacked in some way. Wow way to **** on your legacy.

Nope thats her in a nutshell, she was simply hiding the bulk of the crazy during the nomination process

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nope thats her in a nutshell, she was simply hiding the bulk of the crazy during the nomination process

She didn't hide it very well!

Pa8301 wrote: »
    She hid it pretty well considering. It was all confined to Twitter. What possible benefit is there for her in being on twitter. If she needs to vent join boards no one can prove it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pa8301 wrote: »

She tried to - see Panti on twitter today.

I dont think a lot of people realised until the last few weeks how extreme far right she is.

She was trying during the presidential nomination process to be friendly to the left. Now she is gone full on attack them at every opportunity.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Her tweet about transgender people pushing there horrible unicorn agenda was a recent highlight for me....

gmisk wrote: »
    Her tweet about transgender people pushing there horrible unicorn agenda was a recent highlight for me....

A highlight how crazed she is I think

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not the EU Army tanks on the streets of Paris?

Gemma revels in the role of polemicist, anything to stir up a reaction and draw attention to her twitter feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

A highlight how crazed she is I think

She also went full anti semite when she linked to this one the other day too.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1070988685926170624?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gemma revels in the role of polemicist, anything to stir up a reaction and draw attention to her twitter feed.
    Is her aim now to be a completely insane version of Katie Hopkins or what exactly?
    Its really embarrassing at this stage.

Is her aim now to be a completely insane version of Katie Hopkins or what exactly?
    Its really embarrassing at this stage.

Without a doubt, controversy is the sell. Any condemnation of Gemma's ravings will be grist to the mill for motley bunch of imbeciles hanging on her every word.

She has alleged previously that her twitter was hacked. Is this possible? To think some misguided individuals imagined that this woman could be President.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think she wanted to be President, she just used the campaign to get some publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

She is probably coming out with a book and his building up demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

batgoat wrote: »
    She also went full anti semite when she linked to this one the other day too.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1070988685926170624?s=19

I dont agree with her and dont want to defend her in the slightest , but what are your basis for calling her ' full anti semite' , a star of david in the cover photo is not anti semetic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I dont agree with her and dont want to defend her in the slightest , but what are your basis for calling her ' full anti semite' , a star of david in the cover photo is not anti semetic
    What's a non-full anti-semite?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Coupled with the word "globalist", it can be considered a dog whistle to an antisemitic conspiracy theory about a plan to destroy European nations:
    As the Anti-Defamation League’s Jonathan Greenblatt put it, “Where the term originates from is a reference to Jewish people who are seen as having allegiances not to their countries of origin like the United States, but to some global conspiracy.” Greenblatt said it’s “disturbing” when public officials “literally parrot this term which is rooted in prejudice.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/the-origins-of-the-globalist-slur/555479/

Not every use of the word "globalist" is anti semetic, but coupled with the imagery and the fact that the Nazis (the actual Nazis, not neo Nazis etc) believed that Coudenhove-Kalergi's Paneuropean Union was a Jewish conspiracy, and it's pretty clear that Gemma is recycling, whether intentionally or accidentally, alt right anti antisemitism.

Sample from the site which thinks there's a Jewish conspiracy... So yep, it is anti semetic... Or are you still gonna dispute it? Can open the link and you'll find it's filled with hate speech...
    Kalergi did not characterize Jews as a hostile elite, and as seen in the above quotations, he thought of Jews as the ideal rulers of the future European mixed-race citizenry. There are striking similarities between what he advocated for and what has occurred. The utopian vision of a racial or ethnic elite magnanimously presiding over a European continent in perpetual peace is something that has not been fulfilled. This experiment has resulted in the formation of a hostile elite[20] that has enabled the violence, rape, murder, dispossession and displacement of the native White European populace by way of demographic engineering. It has resulted in attempted genocide in the present day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

batgoat wrote: »
    Sample from the site which thinks there's a Jewish conspiracy... So yep, it is anti semetic... Or are you still gonna dispute it?
    O'Doherty would have been aware of the nakedly anti-semitic graffiti which was scrawled on a wall in Rathmines a few months ago.

It's incredibly disturbing that she decided to reproduce verbatim the contents of that graffiti in a social media post.

This is her level - the level of scum who scrawl anti-semitic graffiti on walls at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When she throws her lot in with John Waters, and his friends like Gran Torino etc. it demonstrates her world view perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The worst thing O'Doherty can get is oxygen for her nonsense, but at the same time her warped sensibilities need always to be highlighted so they can be shown up for what they are. Letting this stuff go underground is insidious and dangerous.

Most people in Ireland are educated enough to take a broad view of society, not to rely on one medium for their news or on commentators that reinforce rather than challenge.

Gemma and Waters and Hermann the rest of their bewildered and benighted rabble will blame the 'MSM' for pretty much everything around them, but the irony is that in creating the echo-chamber of their fora, the same hundred embittered loons meeting week in, week out, broadcasting to each other on youtube, they are prepetuating the same sort of myopic, prejudiced, unquestioning following that they blame the EU, the media, the Left, the vaccinators, the cops, the Jews, the gays, the SJWs and the migrants for fomenting in the World today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Plenty of criticism in this thread, but not exactly plenty of detail. A lot about who she speaks with and this kind of thing, plus the usual cliches on "dog whistles", "attention seeker", "doesn't really believe what she says", "tin foil hats","conspiracy theorist" yadda yadda yadda.

Translation: "somebody believes things I'm uncomfortable with so let's start a shame circle".

Pretty low rent criticism. Put a bit more work into the why, rather than just playing the man not the ball.

Gemma isn't exactly bulletproof by any means, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I find much of her work to be quite thought provoking, and before anyone dives in on the usual topics on race, the EU, etc, I mean along the lines of financial wastage, and a lack of planning within government circles.

Godspeed.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Plenty of criticism in this thread, but not exactly plenty of detail. A lot about who she speaks with and this kind of thing, plus the usual cliches on "dog whistles", "attention seeker", "doesn't really believe what she says", "tin foil hats","conspiracy theorist" yadda yadda yadda.

Translation: "somebody believes things I'm uncomfortable with so let's start a shame circle".

Pretty low rent criticism. Put a bit more work into the why, rather than just playing the man not the ball.

Gemma isn't exactly bulletproof by any means, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I find much of her work to be quite thought provoking, and before anyone dives in on the usual topics on race, the EU, etc, I mean along the lines of financial wastage, and a lack of planning within government circles.

Godspeed.

She linked to an article that claimed there's a Jewish plot to control the world including wiping out white people. How much more anti-semitic does she need to get before it ceases to be 'low rent'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Godspeed.
    Translation of your post: "I think the same sort of hate speech that the Nazis used against Jews in the 1930s is legitimate today."

Godwin's Law doesn't apply when somebody is using the same sort of nakedly anti-semitic rhetoric that the Nazis did.

And increasingly Godwin's Law is becoming obsolete in general.

Godspeed.

So lets take for example her Presidential contacts to Panti

“Hi Rory,

I hope you’re keeping well.

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you but I was wondering if I could have a word with you at some point if you had time.

You may have heard that I am seeking a nomination to the presidency.

One of the key messages of my campaign for a presidential nomination has been freedom of expression and speech. This is why as a journalist, I have throughout my career supported the rights of minorities in Ireland including transgender communities, gay families, Travellers, Muslims and victims of state injustice.

I admire your talent hugely and found your speech about our repressive society inspiring.

If you have a minute to spare, would you mind giving me a call?”
    Then merely months later we get a number of homophobic and transphobic rants about how tea towels are changing Ireland via unicorns and how its disgraceful that Donal Og Cusack went near a school etc etc

Yeah shes a complete Charlatan bull sh itter

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What's a non-full anti-semite?

It's basically someone who isn't a full anti-semite - you know, like Hitler or gasthejews84@fuhrer.de. It's someone with an unhealthy obsession with Soros and other ((globalists)) but stops short of shooting up a Synagogue. Their non-full anti-semitism is more cheery and whimsical than the dark and ugly full anti-semitism of a concentration camp in southern Poland in the early 1940s. It's just a bit of fun, really.

Advertisement