Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Thinking of getting these for Xmas. Do all the features work in Ireland now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

BONDIred wrote: »
    Thinking of getting these for Xmas. Do all the features work in Ireland now?

Have read back throughthe thread, you need a UK address so I've used parcel motel.
    Mine just arrived today into Parcel Motel so will let you know once I get it home and turn it on ðŸ˜

Yeah I did but its a bit confusing as some people are saying yes and other having trouble.

I use addresspal would this be the same as parcel Motel?

Yeah I did but its a bit confusing as some people are saying yes and other having trouble.

I use addresspal would this be the same as parcel Motel?

It gives you a UK address to use so I would imagine so

I received two Fire 7 Kids tablets yesterday and have all the apps etc. available.
    I have my location and address set to UK in my Amazon account and I also turned off Location Services on the tablets during set up.
    It took 45-60 minutes after first switching on before the apps were available.
    Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

I received two Fire 7 Kids tablets yesterday and have all the apps etc. available.
    I have my location and address set to UK in my Amazon account and I also turned off Location Services on the tablets during set up.
    Hope this helps!

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Fire 8 HD Kids edition not working for me in Ireland. Missing all apps, books, videos other than web based video clips. Also using getflix set to the uk for amazon prime but I can't see how that would make things worse.

Address is registered as parcel motel as the default delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

machalla wrote: »
    Fire 8 HD Kids edition not working for me in Ireland. Missing all apps, books, videos other than web based video clips. Also using getflix set to the uk for amazon prime but I can't see how that would make things worse.

Address is registered as parcel otel as the default delivery address.

In the tablets, what geographical region are you set to? Its in Kindle settings somewhere. This needs to be set to UK. Once done, reboot the tablet in about an hour and see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Hope this helps!

Hi curlie wurlie did u have trouble setting up the separate accounts for the 2 kindles? I've set up my daughters account but when I went to set up my son's account, my daughters setting had transferred to his tablet. I rang amazon, they told me I'd have to set up a separate amazon account..is this what u did? Otherwise both cgildrens profiles will show on both tablets they informed me.

Set up last night, as others have said once you set your address to UK in your amazon account settings then kids Unlimited works fine and is very easy to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Set up last night, as others have said once you set your address to UK in your amazon account settings then kids Unlimited works fine and is very easy to set up.

After 6 calls and umteen emails, I've finally seen this. Hopefully it will work for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

Hi all,
    Just catching up on this thread. I bought a kids version before Christmas & with a bit of help on Amazon Live Chat managed to get my device location changed & the Kids Unlimited Subscription is working great.
    I’m just projecting ahead to when the free subscription runs out, did anyone have issues renewing it?

I tried to download a free app to the tablet last night & it popped up an error message that my payment card address didn’t match the location of the tablet, so I’m wondering how to get around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

JodTT wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just catching up on this thread. I bought a kids version before Christmas & with a bit of help on Amazon Live Chat managed to get my device location changed & the Kids Unlimited Subscription is working great.
    I’m just projecting ahead to when the free subscription runs out, did anyone have issues renewing it?

I tried to download a free app to the tablet last night & it popped up an error message that my payment card address didn’t match the location of the tablet, so I’m wondering how to get around that.

bumping this thread, I bought a kids ire HD a year ago and the kids unlimited worked fine. it is due to expire the 27th Jan

i bought another kids fire HD this christmas and have not been able to set up the kids unlimited.

Has something changed in the last year? the only difference i can note is that last years was delivered via parcel motel and this was delivered direct to republic.......

Has anyone sucessfully renewed the sub?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

cuculainn wrote: »
    bumping this thread, I bought a kids ire HD a year ago and the kids unlimited worked fine. it is due to expire the 27th Jan

i bought another kids fire HD this christmas and have not been able to set up the kids unlimited.

Has something changed in the last year? the only difference i can note is that last years was delivered via parcel motel and this was delivered direct to republic.......

Has anyone sucessfully renewed the sub?

thanks in advance

i bought mine 2 years ago. then paid for kids unlimited for 1 year. then bought another one this Christmas and setting up kids unlimited was plain sailing. they even automatically refunded pro rata subscription for the month.

can i ask how you got it delivered directly? it is showing as "does not ship to Ireland" on amazon. it isn't the case that you bought from a third party or anything?

walshy123 wrote: »
    i bought mine 2 years ago. then paid for kids unlimited for 1 year. then bought another one this Christmas and setting up kids unlimited was plain sailing. they even automatically refunded pro rata subscription for the month.

can i ask how you got it delivered directly? it is showing as "does not ship to Ireland" on amazon. it isn't the case that you bought from a third party or anything?

I dont know the answer to that, it was bought directly from amazon, and fulfilled by amazon. Even now it does not say "does not ship to ireland on my account"

its weird,

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

I dont know the answer to that, it was bought directly from amazon, and fulfilled by amazon. Even now it does not say "does not ship to ireland on my account"

its weird,

you may need to change address to UK to activate kids unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

a bit extreme, it can't be that good 😀

yes i did that on the second fire that was delivered directly to ireland and it is now showing up as having the 1 year subscription.

however when i go into subscriptions on amazon.co.uk the subscription for the previous tablet is due to expire the end of Jan, it shows up as having an incorrect payment method and i take this as because the address on the credit card is Ireland.

Has anyone sucessfully renewed the unlimited subscription in rep of ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

yes i did that on the second fire that was delivered directly to ireland and it is now showing up as having the 1 year subscription.

however when i go into subscriptions on amazon.co.uk the subscription for the previous tablet is due to expire the end of Jan, it shows up as having an incorrect payment method and i take this as because the address on the credit card is Ireland.

Has anyone sucessfully renewed the unlimited subscription in rep of ireland?

Yes, I managed to. If you have a Parcel Motel address for the UK, change your billing address to this and that will allow you to subscribe when the free subscription expires.

JodTT wrote: »
    Yes, I managed to. If you have a Parcel Motel address for the UK, change your billing address to this and that will allow you to subscribe when the free subscription expires.

Yeah i have that done now. it still shows up an error on the account. it will be intersting to see what happens when it expires.

I was on to the help chat today and they were adament there was nothing they could do. that you have to be resisdent in UK with UK card.

• Advertisement

Yeah i have that done now. it still shows up an error on the account. it will be intersting to see what happens when it expires.

I was on to the help chat today and they were adament there was nothing they could do. that you have to be resisdent in UK with UK card.

So just an update on this. the one year sub was up on the 27th of Jan. it has automatically converted into a monthly charge of 4.99 per month. No issue with the payment using revolut card.
    So basically i didnt need to do anything!!!

Not sure i will pay £5 per month for it long term though

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AGUSIA1

So going to order one of these today for daughter's birthday, are people still able to activate fire for kids unlimited in the Republic?

On another note, what's your opinions as a whole, are they a good tablet for kids or would something like gakaxy A1 be better

AGUSIA1 wrote: »
    So going to order one of these today for daughter's birthday, are people still able to activate fire for kids unlimited in the Republic?

On another note, what's your opinions as a whole, are they a good tablet for kids or would something like gakaxy A1 be better

Yes it is possible to get the kids unlimited in Republic.

You may need to use a parcel motel address.

As regards performance, they are only OK.
    It's handy to be able to restrict time and have the kid friendly profile.
    There are really annoying things. Like you can't have a music app in the kids profile. Or some other apps can't be added to the profile.
    It probably depends on the age of the kid but there are probably ways of setting up a regular tablet with a kids profile that would give better performance.

One thing that is useful though is the 2 year no question warranty.

Yes it is possible to get the kids unlimited in Republic.

You may need to use a parcel motel address.

As regards performance, they are only OK.
    It's handy to be able to restrict time and have the kid friendly profile.
    There are really annoying things. Like you can't have a music app in the kids profile. Or some other apps can't be added to the profile.
    It probably depends on the age of the kid but there are probably ways of setting up a regular tablet with a kids profile that would give better performance.

One thing that is useful though is the 2 year no question warranty.

Thanks for that, much appreciated

I think we will order now

The 2 year no questions asked warranty is a deal breaker in the hands of a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bit of help if you please.
    I just bought my kid a kindle, the kids edition which apparently comes with a year free books.
    Then I read it won’t work in Ireland :(

I did get it shipped to parcel motel in the north....... still haven’t received it actually.

So do I just need to make sure my parcel motel address is my billing address in amazon for this to work properly or do I need to do something else like get a U.K. payment card? I don’t have revolut .

Seve OB wrote: »
    Bit of help if you please.
    I just bought my kid a kindle, the kids edition which apparently comes with a year free books.
    Then I read it won’t work in Ireland :(

I did get it shipped to parcel motel in the north....... still haven’t received it actually.

So do I just need to make sure my parcel motel address is my billing address in amazon for this to work properly or do I need to do something else like get a U.K. payment card? I don’t have revolut .

Change the device location to the Uk (google how to do that)
    Also turn off location services on the kindle
    Turn off and restart

It may take an hour or two for it to work

I got it working few weeks ago

AGUSIA1 wrote: »
    Change the device location to the Uk (google how to do that)
    Also turn off location services on the kindle
    Turn off and restart

It may take an hour or two for it to work

I got it working few weeks ago

cheers
    i haven't got the device yet so when i get it i assume it will go through a set up routine where i can just choose the uk?

so i just set this up.
    before i turned it on, i changed my amazon account default address to my parcel motel address

then turned it on and it asked very little, and i entered my amazon account details rather than set a new account up for my kid.
    it didn't ask anything about location and i haven't looked at location services yet. it did mention about the 1 year kids subscription and asked for my kids name and date of birth.

straight away i could download books on it. so maybe changing my address on amazon to begin with solved any potential issues.... i'm not really sure

anyway, i wouldn't say its the easiest to navigate to find books etc so i went onto the pc to look at my amazon account and see if we could look at books that way. but i can't find any links to the subscription anywhere. all i can find it the device tagged on my account, can't find anything to do with my kid or the kids 1 year book sub.

can anyone help me to let me know if there might be anyway to browse the account online as opposed to on the reader

We have 3 and to be honest I dont think it's worth paying for after the free year. If I was buying again i would get a cheap standard android and use Google Family to control and monitor their usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Catrionaog

Hi I’m just wondering can anyone tell me I can’t seem to find it anywhere. What exactly can the tablet do if you don’t have this free years subscription. Is it useless without it.

Advertisement