Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nel2907

Hi, did you get the videos working? Is yes how did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nel2907

Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Nel2907 wrote: »
    Hi, did you get the videos working? Is yes how did you do it?

No. At present the videos do not work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

Hi everyone, I bought 2 kindle fires recently and only discovered today about the kids freetime not working here. So I've read the full thread and understand what I have to do tomorrow when I unbox them to get ready for the big day. My question is as follows: when you all say "change address to UK or use parcel motel" you are talking about the address linked to my Amazon account, right? (And then change country to uk on the actual device). I don't have an address to use in the UK so wrt parcel motel do you mean register with parcel motel and choose one of the UK parcel motel addresses to use my the amazon. Co.uk account? I'm totally unfamiliar with parcel motel or how it works and now that I know I need a UK address but don't have one, I'm trying to get sorted in time. Sorry if this sounds a bit mixed up, if anyone could just explain it to me I'd be really grateful! Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Hi Repetto,

When you register with Parcel Motel, you'll be given an address. This will have a unique number at the top of the address which helps identify you. Once you've registered and taken note of the UK address, you're ready for step 2.

Logon to your amazon account (the one you used to order the kindle fire). Follow the instructions from my earlier post aka how to change your location to the UK. During this process, it will ask you for a UK address. Enter the parcel motel address. This is all done on your amazon account

Turn on your Kindle fire for kids, the account you bought the kindle with will be automatically selected. Just follow the instructions (language, timezone etc) and you'll be prompted that the kids unlimited will be set-up. It will all work fine once you've done step one above. If not, skip kids unlimited and load factory defaults and try again.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Hi there, thanks so much for the clear instructions! All has worked well with Parcel Motel and set up. The Kindle Fire for Kids icon is on the home screen and I got an email saying welcome to Fire for Kids unlimited. But I am confused about one thing: when I click on the Kindle Fire for Kids icon on the home screen my child's name comes up but no content.... it says it can add content from my library, but I thought the content can anyone tell me what I'm not doing right? I tried reloading factory settings...

Actually I think i've figured it... can only have 1 child profile in order to have free subscription, otherwise have to sign to family plan @ €7.99 per month. So I think I have to delete 2nd child from household... not 100% sure on this but will try it!Thanks again for all the help, the range of content does look fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

SachaJ wrote: »
    No. At present the videos do not work in Ireland.

What if you put a VPN app on it like say Tunnelbear would the videos work then I wonder

Now that Amazon Video is officially available in Ireland, has anyone tried any of the included videos in the Kids tablets?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/amazon-prime-video-service-launches-in-ireland-1.2905768

Now that Amazon Video is officially available in Ireland, has anyone tried any of the included videos in the Kids tablets?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/amazon-prime-video-service-launches-in-ireland-1.2905768

If this works I will have a very happy lad on Xmas morning

• Advertisement

campo wrote: »
    If this works I will have a very happy lad on Xmas morning

Not holding my breath tbh but would be delighted if they worked.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    So I've figured out how to get 3rd Party apps onto a Kids profile.

The first thing you need to do is get Google Play set up on the parents profile. You can see how to do this here (It's a long article but it's simple enough to do).

Then download GoToApp from the Amazon AppStore and share it with the Kid profile.

Once that's done, login as a child and open GoToApp. Tap Google Play and sign in. Now you have access to all the Google Play apps (Youtube Kids!). Install them and use GoToApp to open them.

A final, optional step, is to clean up GoToApp to make it easier for a child to use. Go to the folder part of GoToApp's settings. Once you're there select all the folders and delete them. Create a new folder with all the apps you want available and you're done.

Just have this set-up on one of the Kids tablets. Is there any way to lock down GoToApp so the little lad can't get into the settings and start running apps which I don't want him to use?

Just a heads up. For those that have enabled Netflix, I'm seeing the download and watch later button for lots of kids content. Handy if you're going for a long drive you can load up on content to entertain them.

Just a heads up. For those that have enabled Netflix, I'm seeing the download and watch later button for lots of kids content. Handy if you're going for a long drive you can load up on content to entertain them.

I've signed up for Amazon Video & Getflix so hoping beyond hope that I can get videos to work with the combination

I've signed up for Amazon Video & Getflix so hoping beyond hope that I can get videos to work with the combination

For the videos included with the Kids Unlimited subscription a VPN/DNS Proxy *should* work. How you get it working on the tablet itself is another story though and I wouldn't have a clue. I did use a DNS Proxy before with Netflix and got rid of it. It was taking too much time for Netflix to start videos and about 50% of the time it just wouldn't work. I couldn't be bothered with it after that.

But Netflix are way ahead in the content stakes and I have to say it's well worth it. There is a huge amount of content for the kids available to Ireland and it works perfectly on the Kids Edition tablets. We got rid of Sky and the kids are more than happy with Netflix for all their viewing needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Brenner65 wrote: »
    Marcin Z,

Just set up mine last night. Had to do the following to get the kids unlimited:

1. Logon to amazon account.
    2. Select "Your account" and "manage your content and devices" from the drop down
    3. Select "settings"
    4. Change my country to UK. Had to use my parcel motel address

Worked immediately then.

I'm sorry I didn't set up a new account before ordering with the UK address. The only downside to this is I left the "household" which means my wife and I can't share books. Think she might be able to join the new "household" though.

Tried this but keep getting the same error
    "We are sorry, but your Amazon Fire for Kids Unlimited subscription could not be redeemed. Contact Amazon Customer Service if you feel you received this message in error."

Anyone know how to get around this?

For the videos included with the Kids Unlimited subscription a VPN/DNS Proxy *should* work. How you get it working on the tablet itself is another story though and I wouldn't have a clue. I did use a DNS Proxy before with Netflix and got rid of it. It was taking too much time for Netflix to start videos and about 50% of the time it just wouldn't work. I couldn't be bothered with it after that.

But Netflix are way ahead in the content stakes and I have to say it's well worth it. There is a huge amount of content for the kids available to Ireland and it works perfectly on the Kids Edition tablets. We got rid of Sky and the kids are more than happy with Netflix for all their viewing needs.

Changed DNS on it but once I did that it would no longer connect to internet, ah well the little fella still loves it even without the videos

Changed DNS on it but once I did that it would no longer connect to internet, ah well the little fella still loves it even without the videos

Day 2 and mine haven't even noticed the missing videos. They are too busy playing the included games and are over the moon with the tablets. Installed Spotify for the 7 year old and Santa also brought her headphones so she's delighted. Quietly disappeared to bed yesterday afternoon with the tablet..... She has Plex, Netflix, games, books etc. Loads of content

Day 2 and mine haven't even noticed the missing videos. They are too busy playing the included games and are over the moon with the tablets. Installed Spotify for the 7 year old and Santa also brought her headphones so she's delighted. Quietly disappeared to bed yesterday afternoon with the tablet..... She has Plex, Netflix, games, books etc. Loads of content

Is there anyway of Netflix in kids section

Is there anyway of Netflix in kids section

Yes, log into the adult profile and install Netflix from the Amazon App Store. Once installed, go into the tablet settings and manage content or profiles (something like that). Click into the child's profile and select "add content" or something like that. In the add content window click the App tab and select Netflix. Then log back in as the child, open Netflix and log in. Kids can use it then.

In my case I put a password word in Netflix so they can't access age inappropriate content. They can access my profile but not play any adult material.

The same for any app you want that's available in the Amazon App Store. Plex, Spotify etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 taoifie

OK, going slightly insane here. How do I apply the 'Amazon Fire for Kids Unlimited subscription' to a Device / Profile. I cannot see any option to select or redeem.
    I have already applied the address a changes to Parcel Motel.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommyphelan

taoifie wrote:
    OK, going slightly insane here. How do I apply the 'Amazon Fire for Kids Unlimited subscription' to a Device / Profile. I cannot see any option to select or redeem. I have already applied the address a changes to Parcel Motel.

You need to ensure in your Amazon account that you have your country set to UK also and then do reset of the tablet. When prompted,add a child and set a parental lock pin also if prompted . You should then see an option for unlimited subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I was thinking of getting one of these for my young kids as they were given an amazon voucher for Christmas. At the moment they would mainly use it for videos (at times I needed them to be distracted - e.g. plane journeys, appointments etc). I'm sure as they grow older they will become interested in the games etc.

A couple of questions:
    - is the video content available now that amazon video is in Ireland?
    - is there any way for me to download cartoons and the likes to be played offline as this is when I'll likely be using it most? I have a netflix subscription.

Thanks!

I was thinking of getting one of these for my young kids as they were given an amazon voucher for Christmas. At the moment they would mainly use it for videos (at times I needed them to be distracted - e.g. plane journeys, appointments etc). I'm sure as they grow older they will become interested in the games etc.

A couple of questions:
    - is the video content available now that amazon video is in Ireland?
    - is there any way for me to download cartoons and the likes to be played offline as this is when I'll likely be using it most? I have a netflix subscription.

Thanks!

No the video content is still not available in Ireland

Yes I'm pretty sure you can now download cartoons with Netflix. I've installed Netflix on my 3 and can see the download button.

Best presents ever. My kids haven't put them down since Christmas. The Hatchimal is not getting a look in. One thing I will say is that take quite a while to charge which is not bad as they need to take a break sometimes.

If you're planning to download lots of content from Netflix, buy a decent capacity microSD card. A 32 or 64GB

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look into these versus a cheap android tablet as I'm not sure they'll get much use out of the apps for a while yet.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look into these versus a cheap android tablet as I'm not sure they'll get much use out of the apps for a while yet.

Mine are aged 3, 4 & 7 and they love the tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Just curious, is there a way to charge the devices without them coming on automatically as you start to charge them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i just turn i off after inserting charging cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Mine just switch off themselves after 10 seconds or so. Tested last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

i just turn i off after inserting charging cable.
    Mine just switch off themselves after 10 seconds or so. Tested last night!

Does pressing the button not put it into sleep mode? We use our kindle fire's infrequently.

Advertisement