Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

SachaJ wrote: »
    Anyone figured out how to get YouTube Kids on these?

I just use the Amazon app version of You Tube Kids. Not as good but sufficient all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I just use the Amazon app version of You Tube Kids. Not as good but sufficient all the same.

This is the third party app? It's not developed by Amazon themselves

So fair I've gotten YT Kids and Google Play Services (GPS) installed but still can't get YT Kids to run.

When installing YT Kids in the childs profile I got an option to allow apps from unknown sources. So have it installed but when trying to run it I get a message saying "YT Kids relies on Google Play services, which is not supported by your device. Contact the manufacturer for assistance".

Maybe I installed the wring version of GPS

Agree with all of the above. They are a no brainer, but can be troublesome setting up. A sticky might help. One issue that I couldn't resolve was apps constantly trying to re-install. I never sorted it, but it seemed to disappear. The free apps is gift. Before I bought a second one, I had to replicate some apps that my other child wanted on the iPad, 5.99 per app. FREE on the Kindle. I have a Kids profile setup on Netflix and Plex that they use for Video, this and YouTube and they are sorted for Video. These things are far from flawless, but worth every penny. A Godsend on a plane, abroad etc.

What age are yours? How do they find the Plex app?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

So fair I've gotten YT Kids and Google Play Services (GPS) installed but still can't get YT Kids to run.

When installing YT Kids in the childs profile I got an option to allow apps from unknown sources. So have it installed but when trying to run it I get a message saying "YT Kids relies on Google Play services, which is not supported by your device. Contact the manufacturer for assistance".

Maybe I installed the wring version of GPS

Hi, I was the one who got it working originally. It did stop working for me at some point over the past year (I think there was an update that did it for me, not sure why yours isn't working). The only way I got it working was a complete reset and start again, which I'm sure you don't want to hear!

For everyone else, there is an odd problem I'm having. I don't know if it happens to everyone but it's worth knowing. Ours had been complaining about low space so I had a look with ES File Explorer and there was a com.venezia.amazon folder that was copying the app files every time one was downloaded. What we ended up with was 2 - 4 copies of the same APK file for every app. This led to a 32GB card being filled within a week!

Just something to watch out for if you find it low on space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

What age are yours? How do they find the Plex app?

Sorry, I thought I answered this. I have a Kids Library setup that I dump all Kids and Family TV into. My eldest, who is 6 is the only one capable of looking at it.
    As she gets older I'll just enable the parental controls.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Hi, I was the one who got it working originally. It did stop working for me at some point over the past year (I think there was an update that did it for me, not sure why yours isn't working). The only way I got it working was a complete reset and start again, which I'm sure you don't want to hear!

For everyone else, there is an odd problem I'm having. I don't know if it happens to everyone but it's worth knowing. Ours had been complaining about low space so I had a look with ES File Explorer and there was a com.venezia.amazon folder that was copying the app files every time one was downloaded. What we ended up with was 2 - 4 copies of the same APK file for every app. This led to a 32GB card being filled within a week!

Just something to watch out for if you find it low on space.

This might be an easier way to do it although I have not tried yet.
    http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/07/02/how-to-install-google-play-on-fire-tablets-the-super-easy-way-no-pc-or-root/

Since we need to remove all the videos that are geo-blocked, is there any way to disable the "Videos" menu item from the kids UI?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Marcin Z

Guys. I cannot get unlimited subscription when setting up the device. Contacted customer service and had been told they cannot help me because I'm not physically located in the UK. Customer service agent advised me to send it back.. :(:(:(

Marcin Z wrote: »
    Guys. I cannot get unlimited subscription when setting up the device. Contacted customer service and had been told they cannot help me because I'm not physically located in the UK. Customer service agent advised me to send it back.. :(:(:(

What is your address set to? Make sure your account on the Amazon website is set to a UK address (I used Parcel Motel). It should be your default or 1-click address.

Next go into the Kindle store or something like that, or country settings on the device and check where your default Kindle store is. Is it UK or USA. In my case it was USA and I had to migrate to the UK. Do this and give it 24 hours.

I had loads of trouble setting mine up but got there in the end. What exact error are you getting or where a outs in the process are you getting stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Marcin Z,

Just set up mine last night. Had to do the following to get the kids unlimited:

1. Logon to amazon account.
    2. Select "Your account" and "manage your content and devices" from the drop down
    3. Select "settings"
    4. Change my country to UK. Had to use my parcel motel address

Worked immediately then.

I'm sorry I didn't set up a new account before ordering with the UK address. The only downside to this is I left the "household" which means my wife and I can't share books. Think she might be able to join the new "household" though.

• Advertisement

'We are sorry, but Amazon Fire Unlimited subscription could not be redeemed. Contact Amazon Customer Service'
    It must be something to do with my router ip address. I'm trying to set up my local wifi hotspot through proxy uk server. If that wont resolve the issue, I will have to send it back

Brenner65 wrote: »
    Marcin Z,

Just set up mine last night. Had to do the following to get the kids unlimited:

1. Logon to amazon account.
    2. Select "Your account" and "manage your content and devices" from the drop down
    3. Select "settings"
    4. Change my country to UK. Had to use my parcel motel address

Worked immediately then.

I'm sorry I didn't set up a new account before ordering with the UK address. The only downside to this is I left the "household" which means my wife and I can't share books. Think she might be able to join the new "household" though.

Yeah, I think I done it already. Still dosen't work. Thanks for help ;-)

Yeah, I think I done it already. Still dosen't work. Thanks for help ;-)

I tried it again and it works! I had to factory wipe the data and set it up again

Thank you so much!

I tried it again and it works! I had to factory wipe the data and set it up again

Thank you so much!

Great. Glad you got sorted. They are great devices and I have my kids set up with Plex, Netflix, Spotify etc on them. If the UI gets too babyish for my 7 year old I might just set her up with an adults profile or install full Android. For pure novelty I'm looking at buying a Philips Hue bulb for her room and installing the app on her tablet so she can switch on/off lights and set colours etc.

Half thinking of buying myself one of the 7" tablets when they should be discounted on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

'We are sorry, but Amazon Fire Unlimited subscription could not be redeemed. Contact Amazon Customer Service'
    It must be something to do with my router ip address. I'm trying to set up my local wifi hotspot through proxy uk server. If that wont resolve the issue, I will have to send it back

I bought one for kids last xmas.. pure disaster cause nothing working on it without internet or content reduced because it only works in UK. That the reason they dont ship it to ROI. I sent it back..
    This year just bought a Kurio tab 2 from smyths, looks pretty much the same, but at least all the content is available and you can set up an adult profile and install anything from Play store also.
    worth having a look

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Argos are doing the 7" for €36.99 today, If you buy one in Argos can you subscribe to the kids unlimited deal on amazon and get the same facilities ? I have been watching Amazon for the last week or so to see if there is a price drop.

ROS123 wrote: »
    Argos are doing the 7" for €36.99 today, If you buy one in Argos can you subscribe to the kids unlimited deal on amazon and get the same facilities ? I have been watching Amazon for the last week or so to see if there is a price drop.

Or £29.99 direct from Amazon. Not much in the price really.

I guess you can subscribe to Kids Unlimited for the £4 per month but once you add that to the cost price you are looking at £78 for the first year. On Black Friday the Kids Edition *should* be in the region on £70 which *I think* it was last year. Since you get the case and 2 year guarantee with the Kids Edition the price is much better value than buying everything individually.

Then again if you are buying it for a 10 year old it might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

SachaJ,
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Or £29.99 direct from Amazon. Not much in the price really.

I guess you can subscribe to Kids Unlimited for the £4 per month but once you add that to the cost price you are looking at £78 for the first year. On Black Friday the Kids Edition *should* be in the region on £70 which *I think* it was last year. Since you get the case and 2 year guarantee with the Kids Edition the price is much better value than buying everything individually.

Then again if you are buying it for a 10 year old it might be a different story.

The case is great as is the warranty, one of the kids smashed their screens and we had a new one in the post to us within half an hour. They included a postage paid return envelope to st d back the old one

Blowheads wrote: »
    I bought one for kids last xmas.. pure disaster cause nothing working on it without internet or content reduced because it only works in UK. That the reason they dont ship it to ROI. I sent it back..
    This year just bought a Kurio tab 2 from smyths, looks pretty much the same, but at least all the content is available and you can set up an adult profile and install anything from Play store also.
    worth having a look

The only thing thay doesn't work is the videos, but if you have Netflix the kids can use that.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The only thing thay doesn't work is the videos, but if you have Netflix the kids can use that.

Yep no videos as its geo-blocked which might change as I've heard rumours of Amazon Video going worldwide in December.

But I've installed Netflix, Plex for all the kids and included Spotify for the eldest.

Also considering getting a Philips Hue bulb if they are on sale on Friday for the eldests bedroom. I already have the bridge and can install the Hue app on the Amazon tablets I think. I think she'll enjoy switching on/off the light in her bedroom and change its colours all from the tablet.

Also no YouTube kids which I'm hoping they won't notice but if they do I'll have to figure that one out after Christmas.

Forgot to mention that the 7" tablet going for £29.99 today is the 8GB version while the Kids Edition is 16GB.

Also no YouTube kids which I'm hoping they won't notice but if they do I'll have to figure that one out after Christmas.

If you enable the web browser there's loads of kids programs on it from youtube.

If you enable the web browser there's loads of kids programs on it from youtube.

Is there? I've enabled the browser but I'm only seeing about 8 videos along the top half of which are Barbie. Unless all the icons below are links to YouTube channels.

Is there? I've enabled the browser but I'm only seeing about 8 videos along the top half of which are Barbie. Unless all the icons below are links to YouTube channels.

All the icons below are links to channels like lego, seasme street, etc so each icon has loads of videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hey guys.

Have a couple of the 16gb Kindles reserved for the 2 kids, one 8, one 5. Are they worth it for the €50 each? Has anyone rooted them to get the Google Play Store? the lads love Growtopia!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nel2907

Hi there, I have just bought one of these and its blocking the videos. I changed my address to a UK one but it tells me error because of IP. Did you have the same problem at the start and how did you get around it? I also am disappointed in this tablet because to download apps its not great. I can't get youtube kids without adds, they pop up all the time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

• Advertisement

Nel2907 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have just bought one of these and its blocking the videos. I changed my address to a UK one but it tells me error because of IP. Did you have the same problem at the start and how did you get around it? I also am disappointed in this tablet because to download apps its not great. I can't get youtube kids without adds, they pop up all the time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Correct no videos as they are geo-blocked. We all just remove the videos so the kids don't know they are there. This geo restriction might be lifted soon as Amazon video is apparently coming to Ireland soon but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it. In my case I have installed Netflix and Plex so my kids have loads of video content.

There is no official YouTube Kids app for the Amazon operating system. What you have is probably a third party app which has ads. If you read through this thread there are people that have managed to install the YT Kids official app but it's a bit of work.

Advertisement