Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FalseJoe

Hi,

I’ve followed this thread and have got the free time unlimited set up, the apps are downloading and working fine, I’m aware of the geo-locking on the videos and not too bothered by this, however the books section is also not working.
    I can see them all but when I click on them they don’t download.
    I’ve my amazon account changed to a uk address. Incidentally on my profile I’ve tried to purchase a book and it’s also telling me that this is unavailable.

Am I missing some location setting somewhere or have any of you come across a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

FalseJoe wrote: »
    Hi,

I’ve followed this thread and have got the free time unlimited set up, the apps are downloading and working fine, I’m aware of the geo-locking on the videos and not too bothered by this, however the books section is also not working.
    I’ve my amazon account changed to a uk address. Incidentally on my profile I’ve tried to purchase a book and it’s also telling me that this is unavailable.

Am I missing some location setting somewhere or have any of you come across a similar problem?

I haven't actually tried viewing a book, so I'll try that later. I'll let you know...

FalseJoe wrote: »
    Hi,

Crap. I have the same thing... just an exclamation mark on any book I try to download :-( And the not very helpful error is
    "There was an error
    Please try again, or contact Amazon Customer Service"

Might try a factory reset. Might be confused with my amazon.com account still :(

beecee wrote: »
    Crap. I have the same thing... just an exclamation mark on any book I try to download :-( And the not very helpful error is
    "There was an error
    Please try again, or contact Amazon Customer Service"

Might try a factory reset. Might be confused with my amazon.com account still :(

I didn't quite need factory reset. I created a new child profile and moved the unlimited subscription across. Seems to be working now *phew*.

Now to reapply all the setting changes I'd made :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mccartmc

Hiya, I've managed to set the kids unlimited up and as expected can view kids apps etc but not videos.
    Thing is i can't download apps due to region. Does that mean in order to download them i need to change country settings to Ireland? But then I'd loose kids unlimited?
    Is there a way round it? 😀

• Advertisement

Mccartmc wrote: »
    Hiya, I've managed to set the kids unlimited up and as expected can view kids apps etc but not videos.
    Thing is i can't download apps due to region. Does that mean in order to download them i need to change country settings to Ireland? But then I'd loose kids unlimited?
    Is there a way round it? ��

I didn't have that issue. Apps seem to be working okay with my address set to UK.

All working relatively okay now. Fora while the menu screen was constantly flashing, but that seems to have gone away... for now at least :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

Hi, I'm wondering how the expiry on the kids unlimited works? We're looking at buying another tablet for the kids (assuming black friday deals are repeated).

I'm wondering if we download a bunch of books and games and then disconnect the first one from the internet permanently if we can hang on to them when the free year ends (internet is not used on it apart from downloading the books/apps). We'd then have a subscription for the new tablet with any new content...anyone had a go at this? The tablet is used a reasonable amount but I'd find it hard to justify two subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed - videos now work in ROI :)

gavjd wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering how the expiry on the kids unlimited works? We're looking at buying another tablet for the kids (assuming black friday deals are repeated).

I'm wondering if we download a bunch of books and games and then disconnect the first one from the internet permanently if we can hang on to them when the free year ends (internet is not used on it apart from downloading the books/apps). We'd then have a subscription for the new tablet with any new content...anyone had a go at this? The tablet is used a reasonable amount but I'd find it hard to justify two subscriptions.

I think i read somewhere that the content expires after a short period if no internet connection (presumably so that it check if you are still subscribed).

i have a couple of months left on mine and hadn't intended on renewing but now that videos are available i think it is probably worth it

There is a family subscription rate but unless you have 3 or 4 its not worth it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-Kids-Monthly-Subscription/dp/B071RKY16Z

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

walshy123 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone hasn't noticed - videos now work in ROI :)

Really? Looking at getting these for kids for Christmas and would be great if videos are working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

I can confirm videos working for us also. However, I'd recommend setting up a new amazon account with the address set to the UK (and left that way) for convenience (unless you use parcelmotel/addresspal for everything).

gavjd wrote: »
    I can confirm videos working for us also. However, I'd recommend setting up a new amazon account with the address set to the UK (and left that way) for convenience (unless you use parcelmotel/addresspal for everything).

Great, thanks. I've Parcel Motel as my delivery address is that enough?

another tip for those who have these for more than 12 months - i have two tablets but one shared profile and so just pay for a single user in monthly subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Great, thanks. I've Parcel Motel as my delivery address is that enough?

Did you order yet?..I'm also considering using parcel motel..I'm not very techie and am petrified that these will not work for the kids come christmas day

weetiepie wrote: »
    Did you order yet?..I'm also considering using parcel motel..I'm not very techie and am petrified that these will not work for the kids come christmas day

Not yet, waiting to see will there be any 'black friday' offers at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

I have just bought 2 x Fire HD8 kids edition tablets, I have set them up and thanks to all for the advice on this thread, great to have this done before the big day :)

So far I have completed the following:

1. Unlocked the unlimited freetime content - used my Parcel Motel Address for this and worked instantly
    2. Sideloaded google playstore to the parent profile so now have full access to all those play store apps - Youtube, Youtube kids, Netflix etc

Last piece of the puzzle, I have downloaded Youtube Kids to the parent profile, just checking if anyone has been able to add this app to the Childs profile?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I've never been able to get YouTube Kids onto the children's profile.

SachaJ wrote: »
    I've never been able to get YouTube Kids onto the children's profile.

This is one of the reasons I want this tablet, I don't want my kids watching YouTube at all :D

I have just bought 2 x Fire HD8 kids edition tablets, I have set them up and thanks to all for the advice on this thread, great to have this done before the big day :)

So far I have completed the following:

1. Unlocked the unlimited freetime content - used my Parcel Motel Address for this and worked instantly
    2. Sideloaded google playstore to the parent profile so now have full access to all those play store apps - Youtube, Youtube kids, Netflix etc

Last piece of the puzzle, I have downloaded Youtube Kids to the parent profile, just checking if anyone has been able to add this app to the Childs profile?

Thanks!

Did they take long to come once you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Did they take long to come once you ordered?
    Really quick, I ordered on a Sunday and package was delivered to my PM address on Tuesday and to my home address next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Really quick, I ordered on a Sunday and package was delivered to my PM address on Tuesday and to my home address next day

Looking at getting 2 of these myself and worried about the unlimited access.
    Previous poster mentioned they couldn't get the videos working, did you get a chance to try all the content?

Also, when you say your parcel motel address worked (I haven't used it, so excuse my ignorance), is it a uk post code or how does it know where you are

Finally, how are going to explain to the kids that their one year unlimited access ran out after 11 months :D

Guys kindle fire HD 8 for kids is down from £129.99 to £89.99 if anyone is considering buying one!

Guys kindle fire HD 8 for kids is down from £129.99 to £89.99 if anyone is considering buying one!

Bastar@s, bought 2 last night.

rooneyjm wrote: »

Contact amazon and ask them for a price change refund..

Contact amazon and ask them for a price change refund..

Rang them, no joy.
    Did the online chat and they refunded me the difference straight away, no hassle. Let’s hope I can get them working now

Rang them, no joy.
    Did the online chat and they refunded me the difference straight away, no hassle. Let’s hope I can get them working now

Happy days! I'm in the same boat , fingers crossed we get them to work

Unlimited free time content doesn’t work for me. It must know I’m in Republic of Ireland.
    Limited content, some of the videos won’t work.
    No books I can see
    Have to download Apps and transfer them to kids profile.

Managed to get google play store downloaded to adults profile but can’t get it across to kids. If you want to let your child look at YouTube kids then they have to do it on an adults profile. Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Bit disappointing really.

Have a look at geekswithkids.com for some good suggestions for apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Unlimited free time content doesn’t work for me. It must know I’m in Republic of Ireland.
    No books I can see

Managed to get google play store downloaded to adults profile but can’t get it across to kids. If you want to let your child look at YouTube kids then they have to do it on an adults profile. Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Unlimited content works for me on the Kids tablets. I remember having issues when I first set up the Kids 7" tablets (2 years ago now) that my Kindle profile was for USA and not UK. So I might have had to go into the tablet and change my Kindle region. Something like that. Maybe Google it and see if it helps. Usually takes a few hours to update but I think the fact that you are in the Kids profile, it might not be the same issue.

Videos - they never worked up until recently so not sure if all videos are available or just some. I may have installed Netflix and transferred it to the Kids profile.

Books should work, they work on my Kids tablets (or at least they did work last time I looked) and were never geo-blocked as far I as remember.

YouTube Kids. Always the case that it didn't go on the kids profile and probably mentioned a few times on this thread. It's a pain in the arse I'll admit it as that's all the kids want and pester us for our phones.

Go back and read this thread from the start and see if there's any solutions. There's also a similar thread in the Boards Bargains forum/section called "amazon fire 7" or something that has some info in relation to the Kids tablets.

Here's the other thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057674750

No books I can see

Any luck since with the issues you were having? Mine arrived today..I can't even see where the kids unlimited subscription is!!! Have changed my location address to UK and changed the address to the parcel motel address in antrim. I can see these being sent back if I don't get them working in the next day or so.

• Advertisement

Any luck since with the issues you were having? Mine arrived today..I can't even see where the kids unlimited subscription is!!! Have changed my location address to UK and changed the address to the parcel motel address in antrim. I can see these being sent back if I don't get them working in the next day or so.

Not really, I’ve been on to them a few times on the live chat. As Sachaj said I’ll read back and maybe there is something I can do.

There is a fair bit of free content in the apps and books if you search. Between that, the content that was there, the camera, bought a few apps myself and I’m getting films on SD card for a guy in work there will be plenty there for them to play with.

I tried changing my default address to the parcel motel but no joy. I’d say there is a way alright, but do I have the patience. I might try ring them but I get the feeling “computer says no”

Advertisement