Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes, it’s the amount of time that people waste outside of the main event itself. The constant coverage and analysis, the endless office talk about which players are pulling their weight. Or the best one is when two rival supporters in the office start slagging each other over which team made and or lost money on the buying and selling of players. Football teams in another country whose players aren’t even from the same continent and they refer to themselves as “We”. “We bought him for €50m and him for €60 whereas You bought that fella for €40 but he was crap and you sold him for €10m.” These people would be better off researching the stock market than that fantasy football bs that they play.

Seriously, they need to get a life.

You're a very angry person, aren't you?

What difference does it make to you if people watch and enjoy sport? Is it causing you any harm? Personally I despise soaps, but millions love them. However I take no pleasure in knowing that they'll all probably come to a halt shortly as all recorded episodes will have been shown and no new ones can be filmed, because they simply aren't part of my life. I'd suggest that your life would be better and less stressful if you took a similar approach to sport. There's enough crap going on at the moment for people to be stressing over without finding things to add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer and all the stats, what players are injured, what diet they're on, how many away points they need, how many games they won at home vs away games, the players confidence, how many yards or wtf they covered in 90 mins.

Are the people who avidly follow this rubbish having a type of mid life crisis where they realise how meaningless all this stuff is and now that there is this massive void in their life how much time they've been wasting or are they so lumpen that they will just mullock through life waiting for the next away game?

If you don't care, so what? I probably don't care about what you're into but I'm the bigger person and not going to make a thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

What was Wenger thinking, putting Walcott on that early?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zaph wrote: »
    You're a very angry person, aren't you?

What difference does it make to you if people watch and enjoy sport? Is it causing you any harm? Personally I despise soaps, but millions love them. However I take no pleasure in knowing that they'll all probably come to a halt shortly as all recorded episodes will have been shown and no new ones can be filmed, because they simply aren't part of my life. I'd suggest that your life would be better and less stressful if you took a similar approach to sport. There's enough crap going on at the moment for people to be stressing over without finding things to add to it.
    It's easy to avoid soaps though.

To be fair, sport and the media circus that accompanies it is almost all encompassing and coverage relentless in our culture. And if the coverage was good, you might forgive it but they have devoted so much time to it and consequently needs to fill so many hours, it has become completely inane.

Yes, following sport is relatively benign in the grand scheme of things and I like most I'm sure enjoy watching it. That said, I'm not one bit sad that the hype train has come of the rails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What was Wenger thinking, putting Walcott on that early?

The thing about arsenal is that they always walk it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd hope they skip over the Egypt game.

Dunphy fecking down the pencil was the highlight of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Yep. Absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

While I've no interest in sport I'd still prefer it to be on rather than the endless cycle of virus news and death tolls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I miss football like you wouldn't believe.

I can never understand the attitude someone like you has; so you don't like sport, we get it. I don't like Brussels Sprouts but lots of other people do, so to each their own.

People like different stuff, interests are varied amongst people.

Brussels sprouts? What a great analogy.
    Difference is that people who like Brussel sprouts don’t spend copious amounts of time talking about an analysing Brussel sprouts. But maybe that’s why you like watching sports so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm loving it. No longer have to put up with half my facebook feed being about us this and we won that (I didn't see you out on the field kicking the ball John or did I miss you?) or the 'you'll never walk alone' twats and none of them have any connection to the clubs other than arbitrarily choosing them as children.

I'm a bit tired of all the death though..... Shame the idolising of millionaires kicking about a ball wasn't replaced by something more cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Miss sport alot. Building up to the championship now.
    Liverpool winning the league and the banter with friends .
    Putting the odd bet on s race / match
    I don't get the hate for it

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

While I've no interest in sport I'd still prefer it to be on rather than the endless cycle of virus news and death tolls.

Same as.

Some of the lads I work with are bereft. It's an interest, a harmless one too. It's something to talk/whoop/whinge about. Some of them train kids sports teams and are missing that too.

I'd prefer non-stop sports coverage and Liverpool vs Man U banter than see their sad faces every day. Sport is life to some.

Normality is sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Did Ireland win the Euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Lots of things in life matter. My job, my family, the economy, the environment and pollution caused by Chinese industrialisation. "

And I feel guilty about it, just like wearing some pairs of boxers more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

My two favourite sports of MMA and Road Cycling are rarely talked about in the mainstream so I've hardly noticed, just no events as the cycling season should really be in full flight is surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer and all the stats, what players are injured, what diet they're on, how many away points they need, how many games they won at home vs away games, the players confidence, how many yards or wtf they covered in 90 mins.

Are the people who avidly follow this rubbish having a type of mid life crisis where they realise how meaningless all this stuff is and now that there is this massive void in their life how much time they've been wasting or are they so lumpen that they will just mullock through life waiting for the next away game?

What are your hobbies OP? Be honest now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

cj maxx wrote: »
    Miss sport alot. Building up to the championship now.
    Liverpool winning the league and the banter with friends .
    Putting the odd bet on s race / match
    I don't get the hate for it

I know people who have no interest in it. None. And they are able to avoid it without much trouble.

Anyone who expresses genuine hate for it, I think is primarily motivated either by a jealousy that others have something which seemingly fulfills them so much, or, they are channeling anger they feel at a sports mad partner in to a hatred for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Not so concerned about the TV coverage....but I do not miss the radio coverage at all. Terrible terrible listening especially on Saturdays when you better have a good cd in your car or else...EVERY BLOODY STATION.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I know people who have no interest in it. None. And they are able to avoid it without much trouble.

Anyone who expresses genuine hate for it, I think is primarily motivated either by a jealousy that others have something which seemingly fulfills them so much, or, they are channeling anger they feel at a sports mad partner in to a hatred for the sport.
    Exactly. What an odd thing to be upset by. Like those lads that get upset by coverage of women's football 'cos Noone likes it'.

Sport gives many people something to look forward to. There's very little to look forward to at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

No as my son and I love football,GAA and hurling,Celtic,CCFC,as he's a teen it's one of the few things we love to watch,listen and discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd hope they skip over the Egypt game.

Stick it on at 11pm to help the insomniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer...

No respite from ar**holes though, unfortunately.

Well seeing that the thread title is "sports coverage" not football coverage I'm going to miss Wimbledon hugely. Summer isn't Summer without it , hard to believe both Wimbledon and the Olympics are cancelled (but understandable).

What I'm laughing at is Newstalk "Off the Ball" lads every evening (on my way home from 'essential'work). They're able to keep up a 2 hour show talking about nothing, guessing whether the All Ireland can go ahead behind closed doors or not etc etc etc etc . Same last Sunday afternoon some Newstalk sports show. At this stage its a joke, Sports News should be a 2 minute segment on the News, no longer a show on its own until all this is over.

Well seeing that the thread title is "sports coverage" not football coverage I'm going to miss Wimbledon hugely. Summer isn't Summer without it , hard to believe both Wimbledon and the Olympics are cancelled (but understandable).

What I'm laughing at is Newstalk "Off the Ball" lads every evening (on my way home from 'essential'work). They're able to keep up a 2 hour show talking about nothing, guessing whether the All Ireland can go ahead behind closed doors or not etc etc etc etc . Same last Sunday afternoon some Newstalk sports show. At this stage its a joke, Sports News should be a 2 minute segment on the News, no longer a show on its own until all this is over.

Probably should change the station. There’s plenty of doom for you on most of the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Have to say, I don't miss the constant din of Premiership football that never seems to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its actually been a good while since I watched a full game of football. I check the scores and have an idea of what's going on but I had already begun moving away from the wall-to-wall coverage and ridiculous amounts of money. If the impending financial crisis can 'reset' some of the obscene money in football, it might help me regain some interest in it.

What's really killing me is not being able to play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I miss going to games more that the coverage.

Unfortunately I think we'll be seeing it back on TV long before we'll be able to go to live games again.

I love watching soccer though. Each to their own. If you want to be delighted about me missing out on something that brings me joy that's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

another cracker from OP

up there with the Gremlin and Feg

Advertisement