Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well seeing that the thread title is "sports coverage" not football coverage I'm going to miss Wimbledon hugely. Summer isn't Summer without it , hard to believe both Wimbledon and the Olympics are cancelled (but understandable).

What I'm laughing at is Newstalk "Off the Ball" lads every evening (on my way home from 'essential'work). They're able to keep up a 2 hour show talking about nothing, guessing whether the All Ireland can go ahead behind closed doors or not etc etc etc etc . Same last Sunday afternoon some Newstalk sports show. At this stage its a joke, Sports News should be a 2 minute segment on the News, no longer a show on its own until all this is over.
    TBH I like/ sometimes live most sports,,,,bar cricket,love league of Ireland,follow local GAA, soccer ( Carrigaline GAA/ Avondale United/ CCFC men and women)

Probably should change the station. There’s plenty of doom for you on most of the other ones.

I dont listen to the "doom" stations, thats why I am on Newstalk!
    Just saying they're talking a lot of polyfiller at the moment! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So you’d prefer to bury your head in the sand and watch your favourite action hero run around a field chasing a ball?

Grow up.

Yeah exactly this. Of course I'd love to watch my favourite action heroes run around a field chasing a ball right now. It would be a great distraction from the doom and gloom.
    I appreciate why thats not sensible and why it shouldn't and can't happen right now. And I look forward to when I can bury my head in the sand and watch my favourite action hero run around a field chasing a ball.

Oh and I really can't wait until, I can call around to one of the lads with a few cans and a pizza to bury my head in the sand and watch my favourite action hero run around a field chasing a bal. Sounds ideal.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    another cracker from OP

up there with the Gremlin and Feg

I always mistake this OP for Laptop Gremlin. Same style. I wouldn't be at all surprised if...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Yeah exactly this. Of course I'd love to watch my favourite action heroes run around a field chasing a ball right now. It would be a great distraction from the doom and gloom.
    I appreciate why thats not sensible and why it shouldn't and can't happen right now. And I look forward to when I can bury my head in the sand and watch my favourite action hero run around a field chasing a ball.

Oh and I really can't wait until, I can call around to one of the lads with a few cans and a pizza to bury my head in the sand and watch my favourite action hero run around a field chasing a bal. Sounds ideal.

What doom and gloom, do you mean reality?

There are a lot of brittle spirits on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm totally with you OP - it's brilliant. One of the few benefits of this mad situation. As bored as I am of talking about Covid19 - it's better than listening to the constant drone about who won the match, which ref is ****, who's injured and how "We" are definitely going to turn things around this year. No matter what happens in Sport is makes no actual difference in the world. Covid19 affects everyone.

Re the Brussels sprouts analogy - have a read of this to understand how it sounds to those of us who don't care...

Yeah. The reality. Not sure if you've kept up with the news recently but there's a bit of a health situation. There has been some coverage of it on the news.

Some sport would be a great relief, wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What doom and gloom, do you mean reality

Sport is part of the reality I grew up with

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's great that you don't get presenters like Yates having an excuse to sh1te on about some horse race or an overpaid primadonna of a football player.
    Ordinarily you can avoid the coverage if you don't like it but the constant regurgitation is harder to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Yup. Delighted.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Sport is part of the reality I grew up with

A warped reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I remember some whingers at the same sh1te when Ireland got to Euro 2012. I remember one woman in particular saying she couldn't wait til Ireland were knocked out because she was sick of listening to the chat and wanted her telly back in the evenings so that she could watch the soaps. Gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Not so concerned about the TV coverage....but I do not miss the radio coverage at all. Terrible terrible listening especially on Saturdays when you better have a good cd in your car or else...EVERY BLOODY STATION.

Couldn't agree more. I drive regularly from Dublin down to Waterford on Saturdays and they are terrible for someone who doesn't enjoy sports. A significant proportion of the population do not like listening to sports analysis (male and female, although more female obviously). Would love if they rethought this - Sport is really not that important in the scale of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Judging by the threads started there are a lot of things/people/activities op doesn't like. I don't think there is anything or anyone he likes. Of course he is happy that others are becoming as miserable as him.

Anyway I like sport but I'm actually ok without sports on the TV at the moment. Longer this goes on more miserable everything will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd hope they skip over the Egypt game.
    Hey, you've got time to sit through it now, all of it! It's a metaphor for these times : every dreary minute feels like a day!

A warped reality.

No, the actual reality. Played locally, internationally, in schools, on tv.

I don't understand your position here. Do you think the current situation of global pandemic and no sport is somehow preferable to the previous situation of no global pandemic and sport everywhere?

I get that you don't like it but surely it's the lesser of the evils?

If you're just saying that it's a nice side effect of lockdown then fair enough, glad you're getting some joy out of this disastrous situation around us but given your posts I think this is a much more deep rooted issue you have with not just sport, but those of us who enjoy it.

I mean you can go on the same rant about people who like superhero movies, video games, reality tv or baking bread. There's plenty of things in society that aren't necessary from a basic survival point of view but they at least give people joy and offer something to be interested in.

Sport is one of the best for that given how many different types there are and given how it encourages getting outside for exercise.

What's the harm?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hey, you've got time to sit through it now, all of it! It's a metaphor for these times : every dreary minute feels like a day!

Ok I'll concede that Ireland v Egypt 1990 is something that nobody should get any enjoyment from :P

FIFA changed the passback rule off the back of that game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Couldn't care less, never watched any sport bar cycling when ever things were normal so its no different now.

I have stopped watching tv altogether now, there is nothing of interest on any more and the longer evenings mean I can be outside doing bits and bobs. I have also stopped reading all news/facebook items related to Covid19, unless I hear that a miracle cure or vaccine has been found then there is no point reading more doom and gloom about the situation, it doesn't help ones mental health to be reading so much about it so I've stopped completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

What a despicable person...

The very suggestion that modern day society would be better off without sport...

Back in the olden days, the poster would have been declared a Witch and been ducked in the river or burnt at the stake.. An ending too good for them in my opinion..!

On a positive note... It's quite plain to see that the poster is suffering from acute cabin fever.. (Bless him). A world without sport tends to tip some of the weaker minded individuals over the edge, to which they unfortunately succumb to posting gibberish on a national forum..

We wish him well, and can only hope the re-introduction of sport, in a world back to normality relieves him of his suffering, and strenthens his mind again.. Be strong my friend..

Couldn't agree more. I drive regularly from Dublin down to Waterford on Saturdays and they are terrible for someone who doesn't enjoy sports. A significant proportion of the population do not like listening to sports analysis (male and female, although more female obviously). Would love if they rethought this - Sport is really not that important in the scale of things.

Or you could just choose your own entertainment instead of expecting the market driven selections to be to your taste. Podcasts about news and analysis, culture, history, audiobooks, audio dramas. All there for someone who wants them.

I trust the marketing people are constantly doing research on what will get them the largest audience and the feedback for Saturdays seems to be "more sports coverage". I haven't listened to radio in years. No point complaining about what other people want.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Ok I'll concede that Ireland v Egypt 1990 is something that nobody should get any enjoyment from :P

FIFA changed the passback rule off the back of that game

I’m gonna have to watch this game as I can’t remember it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'd been going off the Premier League bull**** for a few years before all of this. I really don't miss it at all. Same with GAA - I always feel it gets forced down our throats way more than is justified by the level of interest in it - especially in the first few months of the year.

I must tune in to Sky Sports News one of these days to see how they're filling in their time. It might be a laugh! :D

Couldn't care less, never watched any sport bar cycling when ever things were normal so its no different now.

I have stopped watching tv altogether now, there is nothing of interest on any more and the longer evenings mean I can be outside doing bits and bobs. I have also stopped reading all news/facebook items related to Covid19, unless I hear that a miracle cure or vaccine has been found then there is no point reading more doom and gloom about the situation, it doesn't help ones mental health to be reading so much about it so I've stopped completely.

Gatlin Shapely Spectrum won’t like you mentioning mental health. He thinks everyone is just “having a bad day”.

There is absolutely no news. They are having to spin out every tiny development into a news story and then a controversy and then analysis of the controversy. But the fact is that you could cut the nonsense and you'd be left with a 10 minute roundup of all the COVID news for the week.

Take the coverage of the stay at home order, as an example. They made two days news out of whether the order would be lifted, and then it wasn't lifted.

here are the headlines that matter: Stay at home order is the very same as before. The raw numbers of people with COVID are increasing and infection rate is reducing. Deaths are continuing to rise. Ireland doesn't have a handle on testing yet so stats on numbers infected aren't very meaningful yet.
    Cure - no change
    Vaccination - no change.

Tune in next week for ALL the news from the week in a single paragraph.

Reality, yeah grand. But sitting glued to deaths in Italy or the USA is pointless as there’s not a thing you can do except follow guidelines for yourself. That takes about 5 minutes to update yourself on. Why can’t people wish back the things they love rather than the perverse morbid fascination of how many people died in X country today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Brussels sprouts? What a great analogy.
    Difference is that people who like Brussel sprouts don’t spend copious amounts of time talking about an analysing Brussel sprouts. But maybe that’s why you like watching sports so much.

Not really.

I'm sure you have any amount of interests I would have no interest in myself ,the difference here is that I wouldn't bother staring a thread about it on Boards because frankly I wouldn't care enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate the idea that following football automatically means you idolise watching millionaires rolling around on the ground in a different country. What I miss is going to bloody matches. Meeting my mates. Sharing a beer and story and a laugh. Travelling to away games. Having a great time actually at a match. That's what I miss.

Not really.

I'm sure you have any amount of interests I would have no interest in myself ,the difference here is that I wouldn't bother starting a thread about it on Boards because frankly I wouldn't care enough.

But you care enough to post on the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

wow prtwickers wat sporting event casued you to have so.much bile and venom
    were u left on de alter?? due to sport
    i say the grand national

• Advertisement

wow prtwickers wat sporting event casued you to have so.much bile and venom
    were u left on de alter?? due to sport
    i say the grand national

Were you dropped on your head that you can't string sentence together? Maybe you should read a book now that there's no football coverage. You were probably one of the people who went to Cheltenham.

Advertisement