Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I’m not even big on sport, tune in here and there but even I am missing it. How could you not. I even miss brexit at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

And lost
    You have access to my bank account?
    Won 12,800 a few years ago on the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.
    Transferred a few grand from my Betfair account to my credit card at the end of 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

You have access to my bank account?
    Won 12,800 a few years ago on the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.
    Transferred a few grand from my Betfair account to my credit card at the end of 2019.

Gambling and the lottery are "taxes for stupid people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I miss Gaa, Rugby, Darts, Golf and a few others.

Football on the other hand I don't miss as much because there's way too much of it on tele anyway, complete overexposure.

Now don't get me wrong I like football but it reminds me of that Dan Hicks song, how can I miss you when you won't go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Football on the other hand I don't miss as much because there's way too much of it on tele anyway, complete overexposure.

Now don't get me wrong I like football but it reminds me of that Dan Hicks song, how can I miss you when you won't go away!

I’d have thought that the professional darts corporation would be able to cobble together some sort of remote tournament. Presume most of the pro players have electronic dart boards as part of their practice setup.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the insult.
    Betting is a market. The market maker takes a percentage for costs and profit. The balance is won and lost by the betters.
    The betting exchange I use has a 5% charge on wins. If your performance is 5% above average you will win.
    If you foolishly bet with bookmakers you pay a bigger percentage to them e.g. from the races on a recent big raceday 22%; 32%; 25%; 17%; 29%; 29%; 34%

I know the lottery is a game of chance with odds that can be calculated exactly.
    Occasionally it makes sense to buy a lottery ticket if the prize has been rolled over many times and the prize fund exceeds the tickets bought in the draw (hard to judge).

Your first mistake is assuming all "gambling" is a game of chance.
    In many sports a better can have an edge if he/she has knowledge that is not readily available and that knowledge is important to the outcome.

I’d have thought that the professional darts corporation would be able to cobble together some sort of remote tournament. Presume most of the pro players have electronic dart boards as part of their practice setup.

There are some standard and soft tip exhibition games going on alright, Taylor and Barney played each other last week for example but short of that there's not much going on.

We'll see what happens over the summer, darts is definitely a game that could easily be played safely in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Mitchell and Webb had it spot on.

Mitchell and Webb had it spot on.

Hahaha brilliant, spot on as well!

Thanks for the insult.
    Betting is a market. The market maker takes a percentage for costs and profit. The balance is won and lost by the betters. You are betting against the other betters more than against the market maker.
    The betting exchange I use has a 5% charge on wins. If your performance is 5% above average you will win.
    If you foolishly bet with bookmakers you pay a bigger percentage to them e.g. from the races on a recent big raceday 22%; 32%; 25%; 17%; 29%; 29%; 34%

I know the lottery is a game of chance with odds that can be calculated exactly.
    Occasionally it makes sense to buy a lottery ticket if the prize has been rolled over many times and the prize fund exceeds the tickets bought in the draw (hard to judge).

Your first mistake is assuming all "gambling" is a game of chance.
    In many sports a better can have an edge if he/she has knowledge that is not readily available and that knowledge is important to the outcome.

Another gambler who has beat the system. Never hear that before.

• Advertisement

Another gambler who has beat the system. Never hear that before.
    It is not my income.
    There is no system to beat. All you have to do (as I said above) is to be a little better than others, and bet with a market maker who charges the smallest margin to run the market.
    A while back I got a full download of all my transactions from my online bookmaker and from my Betfair account. I was profitable on both from the day I opened both accounts until the day of the downloads. There were hundreds of losing bets, but enough won from the winning bets to show a profit.
    You suffer from the delusion that all bets lose, and all betters lose.

It must be terrible to realise that millions like to watch sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Stupid Person here manages to make the price of tickets, lunch, a tank of diesel and usually a few jars on tote betting every year at Galway, Punchestown and the Curragh. :D

It is not my income.
    There is no system to beat. All you have to do (as I said above) is to be a little better than others, and bet with a market maker who charges the smallest margin to run the market.
    A while back I got a full download of all my transactions from my online bookmaker and from my Betfair account. I was profitable on both from the day I opened both accounts until the day of the downloads. There were hundreds of losing bets, but enough won from the winning bets to show a profit.
    You suffer from the delusion that all bets lose, and all betters lose.

It must be terrible to realise that millions like to watch sport.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Stupid Person here manages to make the price of tickets, lunch, a tank of diesel and usually a few jars on tote betting every year at Galway, Punchestown and the Curragh. :D

A lot of winners on this thread, too bad the rest of the population is not as lucky as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

jimgoose wrote: »

Its all about discipline really, too many lose 20 or 50 and chase their losses, find it hard to see how anyone could win on the tote with their large percentage deductions?

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Its all about discipline really, too many lose 20 or 50 and chase their losses, find it hard to see how anyone could win on the tote with their large percentage deductions?

Little and often, with plenty each-way. I also have an expert with me - Woman breeds thoroughbreds and is an ex-point to point pilot. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer and all the stats, what players are injured, what diet they're on, how many away points they need, how many games they won at home vs away games, the players confidence, how many yards or wtf they covered in 90 mins.

Are the people who avidly follow this rubbish having a type of mid life crisis where they realise how meaningless all this stuff is and now that there is this massive void in their life how much time they've been wasting or are they so lumpen that they will just mullock through life waiting for the next away game?

Says the man talking about Rugby two months ago

If sports bothers you so much why do you get involved in the chatter?

A lot of winners on this thread, too bad the rest of the population is not as lucky as you.
    What has luck got to do with it?
    Like most activities, work is needed.
    I have been analysing horse pedigrees for 28 years, and that is what I am doing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What has luck got to do with it?
    Like most activities, work is needed.
    I have been analysing horse pedigrees for 28 years, and that is what I am doing today.

I'm pretty sure if you then count the hours of your work and your earnings, your rate per hour isn't that great. You might get the same money spending that time making pottery and selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I remember way back in 2002 when Ireland were playing in the World Cup and someone called in to a national radio station, could have been to the Gerry Ryan show and asked what was all the fuss about with the flags everywhere, and people talking about 'Soccer' and 'Keane' that he had no idea what it was all about and wondered should he start paying attention.

Gerry entertained him and spoke about the World Cup but the caller sounded like he was more interested in being seen as above all that and someone with much more profound interests than the rest of the population.
    When Gerry asked him about this, his passion seemed to be going for walks, that was it, no where in particular, in to town, in a park, wherever. he didn't really have a preference. That was it.

OP reminds me of that guy.

I remember way back in 2002 when Ireland were playing in the World Cup and someone called in to a national radio station, could have been to the Gerry Ryan show and asked what was all the fuss about with the flags everywhere, and people talking about 'Soccer' and 'Keane' that he had no idea what it was all about and wondered should he start paying attention.

Gerry entertained him and spoke about the World Cup but the caller sounded like he was more interested in being seen as above all that and someone with much more profound interests than the rest of the population.
    When Gerry asked him about this, his passion seemed to be going for walks, that was it, no where in particular, in to town, in a park, wherever. he didn't really have a preference. That was it.

OP reminds me of that guy.

I dimly recall him - he'd be what's known in the trade as the two ends of a mule's tool. :D

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if you then count the hours of your work and your earnings, your rate per hour isn't that great. You might get the same money spending that time making pottery and selling it.
    I wonder what is the OP's interest. All he/she has contributed so far is negativity.
    Analysing pedigrees and proving the pedigree differences between good and bad horses is my aim. That aim has been achieved.
    My finances are solid. I could go on holiday for the rest of my life.
    Making pottery does not appeal to me. Making and selling a few pieces of pottery would a waste of time, and the cash is not needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Not impressed at all, big anti-climax leaving us in the lurch like this. Feeling a bit down in the dumps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I hate TV sports, but a lot of people use them as something to look forward to, something to talk or speculate about and t's also a great substitute for violence.

My particular area of knowledge (aviation) is severely hampered by the fact that I don't know anyone who's actually interested in it. Sports is ubiquitous and easily accessible, whereas aviation isn't. You can gain a huge amount of very specific knowledge from both.

But I love my knowledge hobby as much as any die hard Liverpool fan or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I wonder what is the OP's interest. All he/she has contributed so far is negativity.
    Analysing pedigrees and proving the pedigree differences between good and bad horses is my aim. That aim has been achieved...

I'm not a horsey guy, but out of curiosity, how do you tell the difference?

I'm not a horsey guy, but out of curiosity, how do you tell the difference?
    I'll send you a PM. Don't want to clog up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

But I love my knowledge hobby as much as any die hard Liverpool fan or the like.

That's awesome. I'd hope that everybody has an interest and hobby that brings them as much joy as supporting Liverpool does for me.

Otherwise what's all this for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

People get picked last for sports in school. It's humiliating but it happens. Just try and get past it in adult life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm a big fan of rugby but I find most radio stations - especially Newstalk and Today FM - have far too much sports coverage much of it completely inane crap.

When did the thing of every news bulletin having to have a sport segment attached start? News and weather fine but sports drivel with sound bytes from some foreign soccer manager talking ****e. mad.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of rugby but I find most radio stations - especially Newstalk and Today FM - have far too much sports coverage much of it completely inane crap.

When did the thing of every news bulletin having to have a sport segment attached start? News and weather fine but sports drivel with sound bytes from some foreign soccer manager talking ****e. mad.png

The average sports announcement after a main news bulletin I'd say is less than 60 seconds. For anyone with any interest in sport, it's at least an opportunity to hear something positive or upbeat after what can be fairly negative news articles.

Advertisement