Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wonder what is the OP's interest. All he/she has contributed so far is negativity.
    Analysing pedigrees and proving the pedigree differences between good and bad horses is my aim. That aim has been achieved.
    My finances are solid. I could go on holiday for the rest of my life.
    Making pottery does not appeal to me. Making and selling a few pieces of pottery would a waste of time, and the cash is not needed..

Gambling is a waste of time too and you still do it. Pottery was just an example. I don't care if you gamble or don't but you put an awful lot of effort into something that gives you couple of grand of return. It's good if you get enjoyment out of it but it's not a great earner you seem to imply it is.

BTW I didn't ask you how much money you have neither do I care. I don't know how is that relevant. It's the earnings vs time invested for gambling that I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

meeeeh wrote: »
    Gambling is a waste of time too and you still do it. Pottery was just an example. I don't care if you gamble or don't but you put an awful lot of effort into something that gives you couple of grand of return. It's good if you get enjoyment out of it but it's not a great earner you seem to imply it is.

BTW I didn't ask you how much money you have neither do I care. I don't know how is that relevant. It's the earnings vs time invested for gambling that I was talking about.
    You seem determined to crush enjoyment out of everything.
    People watch sports live and on TV because they enjoy it.
    They bet because they enjoy it.

I could gamble big but I am not interested. My best year was 20.5k profit. I doubt that I have more than six or seven reasonable bets a year. Opportunities are few.
    You seem fixated on the idea that I am wasting my life betting every day, as that fits into the generally held idea that everyone who has a bet is a "problem gambler". That doesn't happen.
    You have or had, no idea of the amount of time I spent betting, yet you wade ahead with uninformed opinion.
    My chief interest is researching pedigrees and writing computer programs to analyse them, about 50 pedigrees a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,819 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If there is a soap on RTÉ 2, I turn on another channel... zero interest, if there is horse racing on that I turn again... zero interest, if there is a daytime chat show I can change again... not my thing. On the sky box there are about 250 channels. Apart from dedicated sports channels there is very little over the summer especially in the way of sports... and when there is, the virtue of around 215 channels not dedicated to sport shows that there is plenty of variety and alternatives so that people shouldn’t be moaning about a bit of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm missing sport. More than most things tbh. When it was there I'd often just stick something on the television to watch. Then I'd get emotionally involved. Like the athletics championship in Doha last year. You'd only be half-watching sometimes, but it made me happy.

Things I was looking forward to: Shane Lowry winning another British Open, Galway getting to both All-Ireland finals (losing both), the euros; the Olympics, Liverpool lifting the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm past sport now, DIY is where its at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm past sport now, DIY is where its at.

Harry, I look forward to have you find faults in almost flawless Liverpool performances next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Next year? There'll be no football ever again. SKY and BT will go bust, the clubs will go bankrupt, the players will be released into the wild where they'll hunt in packs tracking down unemployed match officials.

Speaking of DIY, the numbers of people out in the park playing games, sport, exercising is great to see. Ok we know the covid nightmare and closed businesses and isolation is the catalyst but I think in a times like this where people become more health conscious, more fit and healthy, less taking being healthy for granted and are out and active... in our park today... volleyball, rounders, football tennis, the usual runners, joggers, dog walkers...l think people will still remember this in the aftermath when bosses are trying to push for shorter breaks, more regular overtime and generally overwork of employees who in turn are fit only for the couch pretty much...instead of being fit and healthy and active for their own enjoyment of life, with friends and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Next year? There'll be no football ever again. SKY and BT will go bust, the clubs will go bankrupt, the players will be released into the wild where they'll hunt in packs tracking down unemployed match officials.

Will that be televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I read half the thread, got the gist, giving my 2 cents.

I'm not a fan of most sports. There are a few reasons, going back as far as my high excited willingness to get involved, only not to be picked for most things because I was either too small or wasn't friends with the managers son. I don't care what anyone says, that happened in the 80's and 90's. I can't say if I was bad or good, because they barely put me on regardless (most likely because they 'had' to to make me feel involved), and the very rare time I got to go on for a few minutes at the end, I thought I played pretty well (scored 2 goals in 10 minutes one match).

I digress. I'm also a gamer, so when it came to spend 2 hours watching sport with all the associated bollockology from people who think they could do it better but yet are commenting and not actually doing it, to all the ads and paid for sponsorship's. So I always picked gaming, far better choice imo but that's for a different thread.

So growing up after the teens, the vast majority of people are into sports. If you don't follow sports, you're left out of the conversation and people think you're weird for not liking "teh sports". So you get neglected in certain situations. And don't start me on the sport talk when drinking. Pretty sure it helped me give up the drink (along with other factors). Next, I got a decent well paid state job, and immediately felt like an outsider as a lot of colleagues wouldn't even talk to you if you weren't somehow into sports. Entire sections were a no go area for non-sports people, so promotion to those areas was out.

Next, it takes up a lot of tv. Now, I don't watch tv anymore, haven't in a long time, thanks to streaming. Instead if watching the state mandated hours of sport I'm supposed to, I can watch whatever I want. I'm still a weirdo though. In the shops, it's all over the place, posters, newspapers. It's everywhere, and that's without an event. When there's something big on, it becomes almost unavoidable. And if you don't get involved you're a dry shyte.

Then, we come to people who might not have been interested in a while, but want to start following it again. While I've no interest in playing anymore, I do enjoy the odd game of top level hurling, and will always watch the Limerick games with the father. But now I'm a plastic supporter, I don't know anything about the game so my opinion is null. You can't even mention that you enjoyed it and someone will have a go at you for knowing nothing.

Then you have the games changing for the worse, but the die hards will say it's still brilliant. Even a bad game of soccer in the 90's is better than the vast majority of todays weak ankled tripping over a weed pansies that play today. Maybe if they finally bring in a proper VAR that can call people on their BS and send them off for diving, it might get better again. The talent is there, it's just covered with a layer of deception and lies, which ruins the game (I think some lad tried diving in the the GAA and was rightfully pulled on it).

My final point, only because I'm supposed to be working, is the insistence to have the stadiums within city limits. Madness. I'm not on about ones where the city caught up to it, but the likes of Thomand Park, the traffic problems that place causes when it could have been built outside the city without those problems. Madness.

I can't say I take joy in the misery the lack of sport is causing, but it's great to not see it nearly every second of the day. I understand why people enjoy it, but I think a lot of people take their love of it too far. I also worry that without sport, these people genuinely have nothing else to do or talk about, and a single obsession over 1 thing if it was anything else would be seen as a sign of something wrong, but with sport it's a sign of a dedicated fan/follower...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I read half the thread, got the gist, giving my 2 cents.

I'm not a fan of most sports. There are a few reasons, going back as far as my high excited willingness to get involved, only not to be picked for most things because I was either too small or wasn't friends with the managers son. I don't care what anyone says, that happened in the 80's and 90's. I can't say if I was bad or good, because they barely put me on regardless (most likely because they 'had' to to make me feel involved), and the very rare time I got to go on for a few minutes at the end, I thought I played pretty well (scored 2 goals in 10 minutes one match).

I digress. I'm also a gamer, so when it came to spend 2 hours watching sport with all the associated bollockology from people who think they could do it better but yet are commenting and not actually doing it, to all the ads and paid for sponsorship's. So I always picked gaming, far better choice imo but that's for a different thread.

So growing up after the teens, the vast majority of people are into sports. If you don't follow sports, you're left out of the conversation and people think you're weird for not liking "teh sports". So you get neglected in certain situations. And don't start me on the sport talk when drinking. Pretty sure it helped me give up the drink (along with other factors). Next, I got a decent well paid state job, and immediately felt like an outsider as a lot of colleagues wouldn't even talk to you if you weren't somehow into sports. Entire sections were a no go area for non-sports people, so promotion to those areas was out.

Next, it takes up a lot of tv. Now, I don't watch tv anymore, haven't in a long time, thanks to streaming. Instead if watching the state mandated hours of sport I'm supposed to, I can watch whatever I want. I'm still a weirdo though. In the shops, it's all over the place, posters, newspapers. It's everywhere, and that's without an event. When there's something big on, it becomes almost unavoidable. And if you don't get involved you're a dry shyte.

Then, we come to people who might not have been interested in a while, but want to start following it again. While I've no interest in playing anymore, I do enjoy the odd game of top level hurling, and will always watch the Limerick games with the father. But now I'm a plastic supporter, I don't know anything about the game so my opinion is null. You can't even mention that you enjoyed it and someone will have a go at you for knowing nothing.

Then you have the games changing for the worse, but the die hards will say it's still brilliant. Even a bad game of soccer in the 90's is better than the vast majority of todays weak ankled tripping over a weed pansies that play today. Maybe if they finally bring in a proper VAR that can call people on their BS and send them off for diving, it might get better again. The talent is there, it's just covered with a layer of deception and lies, which ruins the game (I think some lad tried diving in the the GAA and was rightfully pulled on it).

My final point, only because I'm supposed to be working, is the insistence to have the stadiums within city limits. Madness. I'm not on about ones where the city caught up to it, but the likes of Thomand Park, the traffic problems that place causes when it could have been built outside the city without those problems. Madness.

I can't say I take joy in the misery the lack of sport is causing, but it's great to not see it nearly every second of the day. I understand why people enjoy it, but I think a lot of people take their love of it too far. I also worry that without sport, these people genuinely have nothing else to do or talk about, and a single obsession over 1 thing if it was anything else would be seen as a sign of something wrong, but with sport it's a sign of a dedicated fan/follower...

I read novels shorter than that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I read novels shorter than that post.

They're not novels then kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They're not novels then kid.

Novella at best.

That one got away from me in fairness!

TL;DR - Sport is everywhere and you're looked down upon by many sectors for not following it, so it's nice to be free of it for a while.

Also, you're all wrong. As per Word, 729 words:

Classification Word count
    Novel 40,000 words or over
    Novella 17,500 to 39,999 words
    Novelette 7,500 to 17,499 words
    Short story under 7,500 words

It's a short story kid! /pedant

TL;DR - Sport is everywhere and you're looked down upon by many sectors for not following it, so it's nice to be free of it for a while.

The only place I ever encountered people who didn’t like sport getting shît was in school, where if you didn’t conform you were seen as weird. But kids be kids, sûcks but there you go.. As an adult you’d want to be in a profession/company of complete fûckwits if your colleagues and or managers thought less of you for not being into sports...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Strumms wrote: »
    Speaking of DIY, the numbers of people out in the park playing games, sport, exercising is great to see. Ok we know the covid nightmare and closed businesses and isolation is the catalyst but I think in a times like this where people become more health conscious, more fit and healthy, less taking being healthy for granted and are out and active... in our park today... volleyball, rounders, football tennis, the usual runners, joggers, dog walkers...l think people will still remember this in the aftermath when bosses are trying to push for shorter breaks, more regular overtime and generally overwork of employees who in turn are fit only for the couch pretty much...instead of being fit and healthy and active for their own enjoyment of life, with friends and family.
    All I've done is double my cigarette and alcohol intake :(

Maybe it would qualify as a Novena, an aunt of mine used to say a few decades before she went asleep, I say decades well it felt like a century.

cj maxx wrote: »
    All I've done is double my cigarette and alcohol intake :(

Well, the sun will be up again tomorrow, plenty of scope to change that. Get out for a couple of short walks, morning and evening, try and be positive, a new challenge, cut back on the alcohol and fags.... break the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ah, I dont even like sports really, but sometimes it would be a nice change from the coronavirus PSA's. I think something like the olympics would have been good for public morale (I hate that word, it reminds me of WW2). But yeh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

God this a million times. There's moments I could actually enjoy soccer but it's so completely ruined by the constant falling over looking for free kicks/penalties. How fans can endure that sh*te is beyond me.

• Advertisement

God this a million times. There's moments I could actually enjoy soccer but it's so completely ruined by the constant falling over looking for free kicks/penalties. How fans can endure that sh*te is beyond me.

Frustrating, though I prefer the sport now. There is more simulation, theatrics and exaggerating contact for sure, frustrating but that’s more due to poor officiating. In the 80’s and 90’s you had players actually actively trying to injure each other, a foul to prevent a goal being scored or a goal scoring opportunity rarely meant anything more then a blast of the whistle and a yellow card. That’s maybe less dishonest but it’s very much a bigger and more toxic blight on the sport.. now you know... opponents through on goal, you foul, red card...try to injure a player the same. The likes of Messi, Ronaldo etc. in the 80’s or 90’s would have been about 25% less potent... those are the entertainers... not Colin Hendry.

The only place I ever encountered people who didn’t like sport getting shît was in school, where if you didn’t conform you were seen as weird. But kids be kids, sûcks but there you go.. As an adult you’d want to be in a profession/company of complete fûckwits if your colleagues and or managers thought less of you for not being into sports...

The kid thing, yeah, kids will be kids, I did my share of bullying when I was in the right company, so I'm not innocent in all of this (there's a whole psychological thing we could get into, but I think most of that is BS anyway!).

But yes, there are still child-adults out there who operate like this. It's subtle and you really have to not be into sport to see it, but it is there. What I've found is, unlike most other interests/hobbies, the sports people (imo) don't have much else to talk about, other than what they work at. It's always sports, talking about it, betting on it, watching it. In most of my jobs, if there was a match on, regardless of who was watching what (if you're lucky to have a break room with tv), the sport was put on.

Something that stopped me going out was due to inevitably going to some pub (read: most) and there's tv with sport on, and the sports people are no longer part of the conversation prior to that, it's watching the tv while pretending not to, and the conversation with them again is all about sport. I'm against tv's in pubs anyway, save for specific sports bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

One things for sure...

Anto and Deco are missing the Dubs winning all the bleeding GAAAAAAAA whilst sculling a slab of Dutch gold.

And Saoirse and Tadgh are missing Leinster yaw Leinster winning something rugby etc.. whilst drinking copious amounts of Heino with their pinkies out. Yaw yaw yaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Despite always watching it and having considered myself a sports nut, I oddly haven't missed it. Not that I'm cherishing its absence or anything.

Miss the kids GAA and rugby more really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Y
    I doubt that I have more than six or seven reasonable bets a year. Opportunities are few.
    You seem fixated on the idea that I am wasting my life betting every day, as that fits into the generally held idea that everyone who has a bet is a "problem gambler". That doesn't happen.

You completely misunderstood my point. I don't care how long you spend betting but to be in the black in betting you have to invest time into getting knowledge to bet the way that you end up in the black. I have no doubt some people are able to beat the system but don't create the impression that a few bets per year is all it takes. I'm sure it is years of getting relevant knowledge and weather you place the bet once or 1000 times per year is irrelevant. When you take into the account the time you spent getting the needed knowledge return is pretty low.

I have no desire to suck the joy out of anything because joy is probably the reason you are doing it. Earnings per hour invested probably aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Frustrating, though I prefer the sport now. There is more simulation, theatrics and exaggerating contact for sure, frustrating but that’s more due to poor officiating. In the 80’s and 90’s you had players actually actively trying to injure each other, a foul to prevent a goal being scored or a goal scoring opportunity rarely meant anything more then a blast of the whistle and a yellow card. That’s maybe less dishonest but it’s very much a bigger and more toxic blight on the sport.. now you know... opponents through on goal, you foul, red card...try to injure a player the same. The likes of Messi, Ronaldo etc. in the 80’s or 90’s would have been about 25% less potent... those are the entertainers... not Colin Hendry.

Yeah I'd take today's play over the likes of the Bilbao v Barcelona cup final in the 80's when the entire Bilbao side spent 90mins trying to kick lumps out of Maradona.

There's a balance in between the extremes and it's up to officials to get better at it. Some of the top refs today get it right and don't blow for every slight touch but don't allow the cynical fouling either.

Won't embed but for those who haven't seen that game from the 80's - https://youtu.be/bXYhnqPeZi4 starts at 1:50

And another from the 80's that comes to mind is Juanito for Real Madrid basically assaulting Lothar Matthaus in the European Cup - https://youtu.be/6qKEiP2MB1A

Happier without those incidents

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I bet you were somewhere between 8 and 20 during the 90s...

Everyone thinks everything was better when they were kids.
    When you're young, the glass is full, and it's easy to fill
    up. But the older you get, the bigger the glass gets, and the same amount
    of water doesn't fill the glass anymore. Periodically, the glass has to be
    refilled.

I miss watching the golf. Its nice and relaxing and you can dip in and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I miss watching the golf. Its nice and relaxing and you can dip in and out of it.

A real adrenaline-filled tag line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Limited social interactions means less useless small talk, which usually consists of talking about the weather or sport.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement