Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-03-2020, 12:30   #1
Away With The Fairies

Corona virus and social protection

If things get worse, what are our entitlements?

I'm not long in a new job, company expecting a downturn, so I might not have a job in a few weeks if things get worse.

Or what about self-isolating and picking up the virus. You could be out of work for a month.
Advertisement
07-03-2020, 15:34   #2
splinter65
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away With The Fairies View Post
If things get worse, what are our entitlements?

I'm not long in a new job, company expecting a downturn, so I might not have a job in a few weeks if things get worse.

Or what about self-isolating and picking up the virus. You could be out of work for a month.
If you’re given a temporary lay off then subject to your PRSI record you might get JSB max payment €203 for a single person. Dependents are means tested.
Not enough PRSI? JSA which is means tested.
If you get sick then it will be illness benefit also PRSI based and €203 and dependents means tested.
Sick and not enough PRSI? SWA from the CWO which is means tested.
If you decide yourself that you are not going to work because you’re afraid that you’re at risk then you will have to talk to SW.
07-03-2020, 15:36   #3
Away With The Fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter65 View Post
If you’re given a temporary lay off then subject to your PRSI record you might get JSB max payment €203 for a single person. Dependents are means tested.
Not enough PRSI? JSA which is means tested.
If you get sick then it will be illness benefit also PRSI based and €203 and dependents means tested.
Sick and not enough PRSI? SWA from the CWO which is means tested.
If you decide yourself that you are not going to work because you’re afraid that you’re at risk then you will have to talk to SW.
If someone was to get sick, how are they to take themselves down to the social welfare office spreading the virus more.
07-03-2020, 15:42   #4
Gatling

Quote:
If someone was to get sick, how are they to take themselves down to the social welfare office spreading the virus more.
They would be isolated so no visit to any welfare office
Thanks from:
07-03-2020, 16:42   #5
splinter65
Banned

Quote:
They get the illness benefit forms in the GP office and send them in the post.
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 20:19   #6
Curlysue76

Just been temporarily laid off today until 29th March at least. Will not be getting anything from employer, I’m in receipt of WFP, will I lose this and have to start a new claim when I return to work.
13-03-2020, 16:59   #7
sticker

So to confirm, we would need to visit GP, get disgnosed and then post forms for emergency social welfare?

I thought you just self isolate and are entitled to socail welfare payment?
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 17:49   #8
keeffo2005

I am more concerned will they freeze Bill's and mortgages, not the bank way of coming in and pleading your case, but a government intervention to freeze all mortgage payments. That is my biggest concern, I can survive on 200 a week with no bills
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 18:40   #9
splinter65
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker View Post
So to confirm, we would need to visit GP, get disgnosed and then post forms for emergency social welfare?

I thought you just self isolate and are entitled to socail welfare payment?
You can’t have anything confirmed here.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 19:20   #10
Kenjataimu
Wanted Level

Anyone know what forms we have to fill if we have to self isolate for covid and what the procedure is to do it?

I've never been sick long enough from work to know what to do.
I'm half thinking I should have the forms filled in and ready to go, if I'm unlucky enough to catch it.
13-03-2020, 20:58   #11
splinter65
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjataimu View Post
Anyone know what forms we have to fill if we have to self isolate for covid and what the procedure is to do it?

I've never been sick long enough from work to know what to do.
I'm half thinking I should have the forms filled in and ready to go, if I'm unlucky enough to catch it.
Illness benefit forms are only available at your GPs office.
Thanks from:
14-03-2020, 07:54   #12
Irishphotodesk

Anyone have any advice,

I currently work as a contractor in the courts, but an email last night says courts are going into vacation sittings only, which means... I'm out of the job from Monday.

What do I do? From reading online I can't understand what to do, I'm not sure I qualify for anything, will be getting in touch with welfare office on Monday to seek advice ... I haven't been told to self isolate, my boss hasn't even contacted me with regards the email indicating the courts will be on vacation mode , I got the email from a co-worker.
14-03-2020, 22:11   #13
Lashes28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlysue76 View Post
Just been temporarily laid off today until 29th March at least. Will not be getting anything from employer, I’m in receipt of WFP, will I lose this and have to start a new claim when I return to work.
Did you get anymore information on this??
Thanks from:
14-03-2020, 22:53   #14
Curlysue76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashes28 View Post
Did you get anymore information on this??
Hi, yeah went into dole office yesterday, going on jsa and they’ll suspend WFP until I can go back to work. Will be on less than half my normal income compared to wages and WFP so hopefully this won’t go on too long,

As long as everyone stays safe that’s the main thing,
14-03-2020, 23:34   #15
Lashes28

Thanks I was thinking this would be the case. I'm hoping the government won't close shops,but if they do I am going to be so stuck for money WFP is more than my wages and I'll have neither.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion