Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

smurfjed wrote: »
    Was he Romanian ? Or Capt Seki who was actually Irish

I though Seki was Slovenian(?) though he lived in Ireland for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

EchoIndia wrote: »
    I though Seki was Slovenian(?) though he lived in Ireland for many years.

Seki was from Serbia and some pilot, though best avoided on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Indeed, finest converters of fuel to noise that ever graced Dublin, but I suspect the modern generations have never heard of them, it was 30 or so years ago.

Indeed. Absolute ear splitters! Are any still flying?

Not since May 2019: https://flic.kr/p/2fMt757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Qatar 777 on its way to Dublin from Gatwick. Is this a diversion or a scheduled flight?

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Qatar 777 on its way to Dublin from Gatwick. Is this a diversion or a scheduled flight?
    Cargo service, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A very long time ago, (Bac 1-11 days) my (elderly) parents, who were already nervous flyers, came over from the UK on a Ryanair flight from Luton, and going back, they tried 2 approaches to Luton, but could not get down due to fog, and eventually, they flew down and held near Gatwick, which they could see, but for some reason, they didn't land. After quite some time in the hold, a very foreign voice came on to the intercom, and said "the weather has improved at Luton, and we think we have enough fuel to get back there and land". They went back to Luton, and clattered it on to the runway in what sounded like marginal conditions. It took us 10 years to get them back on to an aircraft again.

A Romanian pilot, who's limited English usage didn't recognise that his "think" was interpreted very differently back in the cabin from the way he meant it.

I read about the romanian pilots back in the early days of ryanair - "now we go at luton" was another reassuring cabin announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Indeed, finest converters of fuel to noise that ever graced Dublin, but I suspect the modern generations have never heard of them, it was 30 or so years ago.

Not at all ...That honour has to be bestowed on the Trident :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Having sampled both aircraft as a youngster I come down firmly on the side of the 1-11 for noisiness. The Caravelle gets my vote for loudest APU when exiting via the rear steps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was told that they used to have to pause graveside orations in Dardistown when a 1-11 was coming in to 28; the only funeral I've been to there was in the 2010s though so I can't confirm that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

L1011 wrote: »
    I was told that they used to have to pause graveside orations in Dardistown when a 1-11 was coming in to 28; the only funeral I've been to there was in the 2010s though so I can't confirm that!

Even worse was when they were using 10 for departures, the ROMBAC 1-11's that Ryanair had were fitted with a water injection system used to boost thrust for takeoff, but even then, the initial rate of climb immediately after the wheels left the ground was less than stellar, so the height over Dardistown meant that the 1-11 was felt rather than heard.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Skyknight wrote: »
    Not at all ...That honour has to be bestowed on the Trident :D

Go again. Try the VC-10. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

If we’re talking loudness I would have the 1-11 ahead of the Trident, but that might be just because they were more common in Ireland with both EI and FR having them.

As a youngster near Shannon I do remember the IL-62 being louder than both, and I heard an RAF VC-10 depart at least 20 years ago in the UK which was deafening.

I’d wager if you were to actually find official decibel measurements, Concorde would be ahead of them all though. It sounded like it was ripping a hole reality.

All the old turbojets were deafening though, DC-8, 707/720, 737 Jurassic. Nimbys these days don’t know how soft they really are. Being able to feel the ground under your feet shake and being able to smell the kerosene from hundreds of meters away, those were the days!

Concorde was the nosiest of all civilian aircraft but then again it's engines are more of military origin from the Vulcan, albeit with reheat for take off and supersonic flight.

But the loudest conventional turbofan engined bird I've heard was the VC10. It's so loud it's unpleasant

And the loudest "bang for buck" for me is the BAC1-11. Unbelievable that two engines can make so much clatter

The 1-11 had a “crackle”, which ensured you were fully aware of it. The departure route (I’m talking about the days before SIDS) at Luton off RWY26 as it was in my days, was a long left turn of about 290 degrees, back overhead the airfield and then on to WOB (I think, if it still exists, it’s called WOBUN now). It crossed overhead at around 4000 feet and there were still noise complaints from residents. They were lucky it wasn’t permitted to turn right after take off!

Happy (but noisy) days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Rescue 117 on the way home from dropping off a transplant patient to Kings College Hospital

^^^ Which reminds me, I meant to post this, from Wednesday. Rescue 116. I don’t know what the mission was, but I’m pretty certain a Garda helicopter was involved as well

1105CA87-5AB5-4EC4-92F6-F8D285E4CCFA.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have a look on Monday for LY971 LY972 from TLV-AUH, history in the making :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

^^^ Which reminds me, I meant to post this, from Wednesday. Rescue 116. I don’t know what the mission was, but I’m pretty certain a Garda helicopter was involved as well

Report of person in diffficulties in the water. Stood down after person came forward on shore to say it was him and all was okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

ELY971 routing over Saudi Arabia

524872.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

EI-RJU leaving DUB now. I assume it’s off to join it’s brothers in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

EI-RJU leaving DUB now. I assume it’s off to join it’s brothers in Canada.

It looks like it returned to DUB. It did the same Aug 13. BA are doing this with some aircraft in storage at GLA. Unfortunately some of these Airbus family aircraft are being prepared for the end.

Probably useles info but EI-RJD left DUB and took a few sectors and ended up at Marana (MRJ) north of Tuscon, Arizona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

AirACT 747-4 from Istanbul to Maastricht diverting to shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

sweet_trip wrote: »

Not a divert this is planned stop enroute to US. Flight number is an old one hence showing Maastricht as destination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sweet_trip wrote: »

What do you think would be going on there? Why bypass UK airports?

**edit Just saw the post above. I understand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

BZ wrote: »
    Not a divert this is planned stop enroute to US. Flight number is an old one hence showing Maastricht as destination.

What is it carrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Oops! wrote: »
    What is it carrying?

Self sealing stem bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three air corps helos over Dublin, training?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

ED E wrote: »
    Three air corps helos over Dublin, training?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Concorde was the nosiest of all civilian aircraft but then again it's engines are more of military origin from the Vulcan, albeit with reheat for take off and supersonic flight.

Nitpick : it didn't need reheat for mach 2 cruise. Could accelerate to cruise speed without it as well, but it actually used less fuel to use reheat to get to cruise height and speed quicker.

Tu-144 allegedly needed reheat for supersonic cruise.
    But the loudest conventional turbofan engined bird I've heard was the VC10. It's so loud it's unpleasant

Its fans (heh) would never describe it as unpleasant! and those were very low bypass engines to be fair.

Great site about it here: http://www.vc10.net/index2.html

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement