Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Post Mania Releases.

According to a report from PWInsider.com, WWE released at least four wrestlers from the NXT roster today (April 30, 2014), including a few names you likely know.

Chief among them is Mason Ryan, who the company was always trying to find a spot for on the main roster. He joined up with Nexus at one point but when CM Punk moved on to bigger things, the rest of the crew, including Ryan, was left to get over on their own.

It didn't happen.

Because Ryan is gigantic and can move, there always seemed to be a role for him somwhere, if only as a monster with muscle. He never regained his footing after the Nexus, though.

Elsewhere, Shaul Guerrero was cut, marking the second time she's gone through the WWE developmental system and never went anywhere. Recent rumors had her teaming with Baron Corbin as part of his new biker gimmick, but that idea has obviously been scrapped as far as her involvement in it is concerned.

Oliver Grey, former tag partner of NXT champion Adrian Neville, and Danny Burch, a Brit who was hardly given any TV time, were the other two released.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I didn't even realise Shaul was back in the company after her previous release.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They had her back only recently enough and had her repackaged into a Biker chick alongside Baron Corbin, the big dude from a tag match on NXT TV a couple weeks ago. Wonder what the reason was this time for her departure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Two notes from Wrestling Observer:
    Wrestling legend Bobby “The Brain” Heenan suffered a broken shoulder after falling while getting out of bed on April 24th in Las Vegas. The Heenan family has been in Vegas visiting relatives for a wedding. Heenan actually missed the wedding as he and his wife spent the day in the hospital.

Not too long ago, Heenan suffered a broken back when he fell. The many cancer treatments he has received have left his bones brittle. Heenan has reportedly been in remarkably good spirits as of late, even with all of his health issues.

Sad news.
    WWE officials recently issued a directive to NXT staff regarding the treatment of some of Gerald Brisco’s wrestling recruits. There had been a feeling that Brisco would sign guys with good looks, personality and skills, but when they got to Orlando at the Performance Center, certain people (possibly trainers) working for developmental would try and run them off because they didn’t like shooters around.

Oh insecure Wrestlers.

She was asked to be let go the first time in 2012 to deal with an eating disorder. Maybe it is the same issue here again.

For sure she didn't have Eddie's athleticism in the ring. Unfortunately for her is that she has her mother's/typical Mexican genetics - big round ass and thick legs. So she was under all kinds of real and perceived body image pressure. Her competition valet wise is your Laylas and Summer Raes both of which can Wrestle too.

• Advertisement

Cool bit of showmanship:
    The first-ever meeting of Matt & Jeff Hardy vs. Mark & Jay Briscoe, on 4/26 in the Hardy’s home town of Cameron, NC, drew a sellout of 1,100 fans. It was a super heated wild match. At one point, Jeff Hardy was carried out. The Briscoes beat down Mark until Willow showed up to make the save. Willow then went to the back. After he went back, Jeff showed back up as himself to lead to the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Just seen the Payback poster.

WWEPayback2014poster.jpg

Has anyone photoshopped in a shovel instead of a sledgehammer yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Apologies if posted already;

WWE Backstage Feeling – The Undertaker Will Wrestle Again
    WWE backstage talent aren’t about to speak publicly, but the ill feeling about Undertaker’s loss is vocalised in the wider wrestling world...

The Observer notes that Shawn Michaels will be featured on the Jim Ross podcast show in the coming weeks, with HBK potentially being the first big name WWE contracted performer who will speak publicly on the disappointment.

The fact that people inside WWE believe Undertaker will wrestle again is interesting. The Observer previously noted that Vince McMahon made the decision to end the streak because he believed Undertaker was no longer fit enough with his severe hip and shoulder injury. With an internal feeling that Undertaker will work next year, perhaps McMahon made that call prematurely...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Apologies if posted already;

[URL="WWE Backstage Feeling – The Undertaker Will Wrestle Again
    Read more at http://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-backstage-feeling-undertaker-will-wrestle.php#cXYRWl1b1308B7De.99"]WWE Backstage Feeling – The Undertaker Will Wrestle Again[/URL]

It takes the pressure off Undertaker. He's too old and worn down to be carrying the PPV like he has in recent years. Even then his last two haven't been anything special but still the highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Yep, I mean, I'd say this year the streak had completely jumped the shark and another few years of that coupled with crappier and crappier matches would have only diminished its relevance. Dunno if there was a right guy to get it, but Brock is about as close as you could get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, I'm sorry....it turns out our beloved wrestling isn't real :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2619324/Script-WWE-Raw-episode-leaks-online.html

The matches between WWE wrestlers draw huge crowd in the U.S. - both ringside and on TV - but a leaked document is set to deliver a knockout blow to the sport's credibility.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Daily Mail has ruined the illusion! ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

BklWo56CcAATHvL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported this week that AJ is due back in 4-6 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just reading this:
    WWE officials have been talking about possibly putting Tyson Kidd and Evan Bourne together in a tag team.

and I realised TBC has forever ruined my image of Bourne as now I can't help but imagine him showing up on Total Divas to give TJ advice on how to spice up his sex life with Nattie

evan.jpg

in other news the Rocks half brother is apparently getting into wrestling
    Curtis Bowles-Johnson is in the process of joining the Hart Brothers Wrestling School

• Registered Users Posts: 85,320 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Y2J talks to Digital Spy Source

How did you feel about the end of The Streak and how it happened?
    "I loved it, I thought it was great. It was a legitimate shock, it got everybody talking. I think the right guy got it, if you're going from a credibility standpoint, and if you're going from a believability standpoint. As much as people and fans and journalists want to believe that it's the case, I'm not sure if Undertaker had too many matches left in him. Maybe he doesn't want to wrestle again. Maybe he knew that he couldn't take any more.

"It's a big, physical task to wrestle as it is, and once a year is hard. I wouldn't want to come and wrestle just once a year. That's even harder than wrestling 200 times a year, because your body's not used to it. And the older you get, the harder it gets, the more the aches and pains kick in.

"Maybe The Undertaker decided that, 'I don't want to do this anymore'. And much to the fans' chagrin, who wish that we would wrestle until the day we die at 90 years old and explode into a puff of dust in the ring, sometimes you've got to make that decision.

"If the time was now, Brock was the right guy for that day, and I thought it was amazing. And I would have hated it - hated it - if Undertaker would have retired without losing. I think that would have been a horrible way to go, I'm really happy that he lost The Streak."

What do you think of the work Paul Heyman's done in the last year, and especially since WrestleMania?
    "If it's Paul Heyman you know it's going to be good. He's a master at writing promos, at delivering promos and getting an angle over. He's just one of those talents that can do it all. It doesn't surprise me in the least - as a matter of fact it surprises me that people are so surprised at how good it's been.

"The WWE is always morphing and changing in a good way because you have younger guys that are coming in, you have guys that are finally having their chance and breaking through to the next level, and you've got guys like Paul Heyman that have been doing this for so long they know exactly how to handle things, exactly how to get things over."

Will Daniel Bryan be able to maintain or even build on his success now he's got the belts?
    "I don't know, that's something you'll have to ask him. I always knew he'd get to that level, I always knew he'd be a top guy because he'd done it before everywhere else that he'd ever worked. It was no surprise to me.

"Will he be able to sustain it? I guess that depends on him, on how he's booked, but he's definitely got the chops for it. He's a great performer, he's got a great connection with the fans. It took so long for them to pull the trigger, I think people were really excited to see it happen, and now that they've got their wish hopefully they continue to support him at the highest level."

You were a record nine-time Intercontinental Champion - it used to be a serious strap, but now it lacks that lustre - do you agree and is there a way of making it the big prize it once was?
    "Of course I agree with it, there's nothing to not agree with. As a teenager, as a wrestling fan, all I wanted to do was become the Intercontinental Champion. That was to me the biggest thing you could be, because Ricky Steamboat was the Intercontinental Champion, Randy Savage was the Intercontinental Champion.

"I couldn't verbalise this at the time, but it was almost the worker's championship. You had the Heavyweight belt, that was defended on certain occasions, then you had the Intercontinental Championship that was defended every week, and there was always really good guys involved with it. It has gone down, even since I had it last.

"A lot of the belts were like this, even the World Championship were just props that were liberally given to just anybody, and that was never the way before. Maybe now they're doing a tournament they'll put a bit more steam on it.

"But they've got to get rid of US championship, it doesn't mean anything, maybe if they do that the other one would mean more. It just seems the Intercontinental title and the Tag Team titles don't mean as much as they used to for whatever reasons. But they're kind of just props anyway. Hopefully they'll do something more with it, but if not it just means that my record will never be broken!"

Does the WWE miss the competition it had from the WCW?
    "It's always good when there's competition and there was a real, legitimate war that was going on. The Monday Night War was real between the two companies. If the roster of WCW would have met the roster of WWE in a back alley there would have been a rumble. It was a legit thing.

"If you're in a race and you're 100 feet ahead of the guy behind you, you're going to slow down a bit. If the guy's two feet behind you catching up, you're going to run faster, that's just human nature. Of course it's not good to not have competition, but at this point in time you can't compete with the WWE.

"It's a machine, it's a monster, it's got decades of history behind it. At this point in time, even if you had $20 billion to spend on wrestling and great TV it would still take years and years and years to be able to compete with the WWE brand name in itself.

"The more competition there is, the more companies there is, the more places there is for the boys to work and that's always a good thing. But as far as being legitimate competition to the WWE, I don't think that's even possible any more. The best you can do is to be a suitable alternative to the WWE."

What do you think about the rumours of a CM Punk return?
    "I don't know, man, who knows, right? That's something that only he can answer for sure. To me, if he hasn't come back already, then... I left the WWE for two-and-a-half years in 2005.
    The only difference was I left when my contract was up, but I disappeared too, because I just was over it. I couldn't take it anymore, I wasn't interested in being there, I was getting miserable, so I know how he feels.

"I had no intention of coming back, and after two-and-a-half years I watched Shawn Michaels vs John Cena at WrestleMania 23 and that inspired me to want to come back, but it took two-and-a-half years to get there.

"So my answer is, 'I don't know', but I just know how I was when I did the same thing. It took a long time for me to be able to come back, and I was probably the same age as Punk is now too, so maybe he's going through the same thing and after a few years he'll come back."

How would you feel about Sting joining the WWE in some capacity?
    "Personally I don't really have any opinions either way. If he comes to the WWE, good for him, it's great. I saw him a couple of times in TNA and you know pretty much what he can do at this point in time. He is a legend and to have him come to the WWE for the first time would be great, but after a week or two what's he going to do there?

"If you're a hardcore fan it might be cool - for me it doesn't really matter either way; if that's what he wants to do then good for him, and I hope he shows up. And if not, then I don't think it's going to make a difference either way in WWE business. It's not 1998 anymore, you know."

And yourself - are you gearing up for one of your famous entrances?
    "Even if I was I wouldn't tell you! It's an open door policy on both of our ends to go back... I love wrestling - I always have, I still do but from the moment I left WWE back in July it's not like I've had a moment not doing something else.

"There's a lot of stuff going on - by design. Four or five years ago I realised that I'm not going to be wrestling forever - I don't want to be wrestling forever, I can't wrestle forever. Because the day that comes that I can't have a match that I think is worthy of Chris Jericho, I'm not going to do it. Now, that could be tomorrow, that could be ten years from now, but when it's done, what do I do?

"If the time comes for my schedule, and the WWE's schedule - the last thing they're doing is waiting around for Chris Jericho to come back, they've got other things to think about. And what will I be doing when I come back?

"The day that comes that I can't have a match that I think is worthy of Chris Jericho, I'm not going to do it"

"I spoke to them in November about coming back in January, but neither of us could really agree on what it was I would be doing, and not in a bad way. If I'm going to come back, what am I going to be doing at WrestleMania?

"Let's see, we've got Batista coming back, we've got Brock Lesnar coming back, we've got Undertaker coming back, we've got Hulk Hogan coming back, we've got the ascension of Bray Wyatt, we've got the ascension of The Shield, Cesaro's ready to go and Daniel Bryan's ready to go. Where do I fit in?

"People were like, 'Are you going to come back and be in the André the Giant Battle Royal?' Absolutely not. I would never come back for that. Not that there's anything wrong with being in that, but why would Chris Jericho, six-time world champion, come back just to be in a Battle Royal? It doesn't make any sense, it would have to be something I could sink my teeth into, something of merit. Something worthwhile in my mind.

"That doesn't mean coming back just to work for the world title, it could mean coming back to work with anybody, but there has to be a story and a reason behind it. If there isn't, there's no reason for me to come back and I'm not interested in that.

"The same with the WWE - like I said, I talk to them all the time, we have a great relationship, but if it doesn't work for both of us, then it won't happen. When the time comes where it does, then it will. It's as simple as that."

So yeah AJ Styles won New Japan's IWGP World Heavyweight title yesterday beating Okada:

BKm4ays.jpg

FtFr8Ri.jpg

The range and depth of opinion online about New Japan is really quite something. There's a lot of problems it seems. Namely the Americaisation of the booking, roster and screwy finishes. As well as not listening to fan reactions and not changing plans no matter how a feud or storyline is being poorly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not sure if this has been reported here. Looks very interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/priceoffame/the-price-of-fame

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

It should have been Devitt. He could've been Pope dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

There has been a lot of talk within WWE about where Daniel Bryan will be in the next few months. Some higher-ups feel that Bryan isn't over, it's the "yes!" chant that is over. They feel that Bryan peaked at WrestleMania XXX with the WWE World Heavyweight Title win.

It's said that a lot of top guys argue with officials about how they're booked or portrayed but Bryan doesn't. There's not a lot of ego with how Bryan carries himself backstage and in how he deals with creative.

There are many people waiting to see if Bryan cools off and gets moved out of his current position or if he gets hotter and stays there.

Interesting.

DB is over for me because he's a brilliant wrestler personally. I don't tune in to see him because of the chants, I tune in to see him because you're guaranteed a great match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There are various reasons why Bryan is popular but the yes chant is not it. People chant the yes chant to show their support for Bryan. Just like they sometimes just chant his name "Daniel Bryan"; if you gave the yes chant to some random newcomer people wouldn't chant it, it's not like it's that amazing a chant. :D Just that it works well as a chant to support someone you like.

Would have been Devitt if he signed a new deal. His own fault really since he would rather waste his peak years in development and hope for a call up.

For the Yes stuff, I said that months ago. Is Bryan popular because of it, or it is popular because of him? I think it's the former. He was a midcarder who never looked like getting pushed much higher. The Yes chant came along and got insanely popular and suddenly his career turned around.

That's not a knock on the guy. You just need that bit of luck to set you aside from everyone else on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Would have been Devitt if he signed a new deal. His own fault really since he would rather waste his peak years in development and hope for a call up.
    I'd say had Devitt gotten a guarantee he would be IWGP Champ in the next year he would have stayed.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I'd say had Devitt gotten a guarantee he would be IWGP Champ in the next year he would have stayed.

I'm starting to think he might have. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a set up for a Devitt return and title win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm starting to think he might have. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a set up for a Devitt return and title win.
    Yeah I agree with you. Would be pretty awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Interesting.

DB is over for me because he's a brilliant wrestler personally. I don't tune in to see him because of the chants, I tune in to see him because you're guaranteed a great match.

If that is the case DB will be on top for a while. The officials will want to work with someone who is easy than a Diva

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Some higher-ups feel that Bryan isn't over, it's the "yes!" chant that is over.

WWE seem quick to forget they gave New Year's Baby Big Show the YES chant around November. Embarrassing; died a death. Or that they went with Batista in January instead of Bryan, and that died a death. Are WWE officials ignorant enough to expect people to care about Kane, or Kane/Bryan?

In any case the best thing about Bryan is that he's an excellent wrestler and personality, so no matter what garbage they throw at him, he'll always succeed in the end.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

Couldn't disagree more strongly. The reason why AJ Styles got the belt is that New Japan believes he is a big star in the US - it seems his value was possibly over sold to New Japan management.

Devitt wasn't a proper Heavyweight. He was still viewed as a Junior Heavyweight by the booking and fans. When he was turned heel he was immediately given a massive bodyguard and then a faction with matches with an unheralded amount of cheating to make the idea of him beating Heavyweights more credible.

PWInsider possibly doing a climb down on a previously reported story.
    As we reported on Friday in the Elite section, expectations were that Batista would be finishing up at this week's WWE TVs.

However, we've heard from several people backstage at Extreme Rules that he's intimating he is staying on through the Payback PPV in Chicago after all. We'll know soon enough whether that's actually the plan or if he's trying to obscure the situation.

As I noted in the Elite section, the original plan for Payback was Batista vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE World Heavyweight championship but sources noted that Batista had balked at the idea of losing to Bryan before heading out to promote Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" film. It should be interesting to see what direction he takes heading into the PPV.

Or WWE double working the smarks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I thought Batista had signed on for a year or so, house shows, the lot?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement