Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions Cup 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Clegg wrote: »
    Is Poite ok?
    Right on top of the injured player too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

There seems to be quite a lot of fans sitting beside each other in that stand opposite the camera.

Anyone else picking up Poite constantly coughing? Doesn’t look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yes.

Honestly think someone should have a word with him. Maybe get another official to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yup. Presume referees are being tested but fairly noticeable alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

What a cruel bounce,

Coughing is very offputting

Clegg wrote: »
    Yes.

Honestly think someone should have a word with him. Maybe get another official to take over.

I don't know how anybody there has picked up on it and taken him off. It might be nothing but is it worth the risk? Mad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There seems to be quite a lot of fans sitting beside each other in that stand opposite the camera.

Other country's do it differently to us. Mask wearing and 1m between non family groups is all that's required in France.

Few people I know who had covid have had a cough for months after due to lung irritation/ damage. He may have had and cleared it for all we know.

• Advertisement

Few people I know who had covid have had a cough for months after due to lung irritation/ damage. He may have had and cleared it for all we know.

Would think exercise would irritate lungs more in that case so not sure he would still be on panel? For his sake more than anyone else. Who knows tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Jazus, the coughing. I'm sure the players are annoyed given the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

At least we will see Zebo and Ryan in the Semi-Finals,

Here's hoping Ulster do the business tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So two away wins so far - not sure if that has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

vienne86 wrote: »
    So two away wins so far - not sure if that has happened before.

Are they real away win with very few supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

connachta wrote: »
    Are they real away win with very few supporters?

IMHO yes. Even without fans there is still an advantage to playing at home. Not as much as pre Covid but still there nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

The advantages in all sports of playing at home in front of your own fans is huge. This, for obvious reasons, has been taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The Saracens vs Racing game is going to be a belter. Saracens don't have a mental edge over Racing who have beaten them already this season. Racing also have a monster pack and some home support.

Saracens are going to find it hard to each that same mental pitch in back to back weeks.

I'd make Saracens fractional favourites for it but it rally could be anyone's game.

Buer wrote: »
    The Saracens vs Racing game is going to be a belter. Saracens don't have a mental edge over Racing who have beaten them already this season. Racing also have a monster pack and some home support.

Saracens are going to find it hard to each that same mental pitch in back to back weeks.

I'd make Saracens fractional favourites for it but it rally could be anyone's game.

Racing will win easily, I'd bet

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So if Ulster lose today it will mean:

No Pro14 representatives in the semi final of either european competition. This is the first time this would ever have happened.

No Irish team in the semi finals of the HEC for the first time in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »

No Pro14 representatives in the semi final of either european competition. This is the first time this would ever have happened.

"If"

You mean your holding out some hope?

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    "If"

You mean your holding out some hope?

I didn't want to appear defeatist.

So there we have it, the worst ever season for the prowhatever in europe.

Keep calm and carry on.

connachta wrote: »
    Racing will win easily, I'd bet

Nobody is winning that match easily but I do think Racing are in a very strong position.

This weekend was all Saracens were focussed on. They're going to have to forget about it almost instantly and prepare for another massive game against an equally physical opponent. Saracens got the better of the physical exchanges yesterday but there's no way it didn't take a physical toll on them. Some of the collisions were huge and Leinster did dent them in contact at times. It's easy to ignore the fact that Leinster's defence was also exceptionally strong yesterday.

Saracens are going to have to lift themselves mentally from that. It reminds me a little bit of England in the RWC after beating NZ. I don't think Itoje or Daly or George will have any problem getting themselves back up to speed but for guys like Wigglesworth and Barritt, it's going to be much harder. Vincent Koch rarely plays 80 minutes and will be packing down against Ben Arous and Chat next week which is going to be a very different prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Keep calm and carry on.

Jaysus, you've had to wait many a year to say that. It must have been very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Keep calm and carry on.

15/16 no sides made quarters.
    As disappointing as the weekend is, the fact is Leinster and Ulster both lost to 2 excellent teams. Yes it would be great if more teams from the league were competitive in Europe, but fact is it isn't much difference for other leagues. Saracens have obviously won a few but no one else in England has even mounted a challenge in recent years (maybe Exeter this year but I reckon Toulouse will turn them over next week).
    People have raised concerns about the quality of the league and it is true it needs more competitiveness and stronger teams which hopefully the SA sides will bring, but in my opinion the Premiership is no better really. Leinster have showed that they can annihilate nearly every team in that league as well. Ulster, Munster, Scarlets, Glasgow and Edinburgh would all be able to challenge for a semi I reckon

Northampton’s tackling is awful

15/16 no sides made quarters.
    As disappointing as the weekend is, the fact is Leinster and Ulster both lost to 2 excellent teams. Yes it would be great if more teams from the league were competitive in Europe, but fact is it isn't much difference for other leagues. Saracens have obviously won a few but no one else in England has even mounted a challenge in recent years (maybe Exeter this year but I reckon Toulouse will turn them over next week).
    People have raised concerns about the quality of the league and it is true it needs more competitiveness and stronger teams which hopefully the SA sides will bring, but in my opinion the Premiership is no better really. Leinster have showed that they can annihilate nearly every team in that league as well. Ulster, Munster, Scarlets, Glasgow and Edinburgh would all be able to challenge for a semi I reckon

Dragons made the semis of the challenge cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You're right. Just goes to show you how well pro14/Ireland are doing regularly for this to be the first time that's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Dragons made the semis of the challenge cup.

Surely 2 teams in Champions qf's > one side in challenge cup sf?
    Edinburgh/Scarlets winning yesterday would hardly have changed things much.
    Anyway, it doesn't matter much.
    This of all times cant be read into too much. If Saracens knew they were relegated a few weeks earlier then they prioritise Europe quicker- Leinster thrash Saints yesterday and we are in another semi. No covid break- Leinster and Ulster's form/momentum likely continues and games could have been very different in nature at least if not results.
    I'm as disappointed as anyone but truth is both sides will be right up there next season and you couldn't write off Munster being back in knockouts next season. No Saracens for next few years and I only see 2/3 teams competing with Leinster who are still a quality side even if they aren't as flawless as previously perceived. Ulster are still on upward trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I wouldn't read too much into no Pro 14 teams making the semis this year. If it happened 3 or 4 years in a row, it might be an issue worth discussing. I seem to remember some time in recent where history where no English teams made the semis and I think there was a year that none made the quarters of the Champions Cup. Remember the 2015 RWC when no NH teams made the semis and it was all doom and gloom for European rugby? For about 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Zebo's "demise" appears to be somewhat overstated!
    Thought he had a decent game last week.

Racing v Saracens on C4 tomorrow KO 12:30
    Front row battle should be a competitive one this week!
    Mako Vunipola v Georges-Henri Colombe Reazel (best TH name ever?)
    EiwbTKRWkAAT-pQ?format=jpg&name=small

Zebo's "demise" appears to be somewhat overstated!
    Thought he had a decent game last week.

Racing v Saracens on C4 tomorrow KO 12:30
    Front row battle should be a competitive one this week!
    Mako Vunipola v Georges-Henri Colombe Reazel (best TH name ever?)
    EiwbTKRWkAAT-pQ?format=jpg&name=small

With Ryan, Zebo and Prendergrast at least there's still some Irish involvement. Hope Racing beat Saracens. Racing v Toulouse final could be a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Eod100 wrote: »
    With Ryan, Zebo and Prendergrast at least there's still some Irish involvement. Hope Racing beat Saracens. Racing v Toulouse final could be a cracker!

& McCall!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

And Whitten and Steenson.

No Bernard Le Roux for Racing? That's a huge loss for them. He's exactly the sort of guy who they'd want on the field against Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Racing by 5. Dont think they will give Saracens the headstart Leinster did

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Racing by 5. Dont think they will give Saracens the headstart Leinster did

Hope you're right, for Connacht's sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Anyone using Now TV have an issue with the stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Awful tackle technique despite what The Channel 4 commentator suggests.

• Advertisement

That was a sickening injury. Amazing he's up on his feet.

Breezer wrote: »

All good for me.

Solid start by Racing just by not getting rattled in the opening exchanges. Stuck to their plan, set up their rucks and cleared lines.

Breezer wrote: »
    Fine on my end.
    It's on Channel 4 too if that's any help.

Can see the difference a good maul makes. Wigglesworth couldn't get the box kick away when planned and had to wait until the ruck where he had two chasers in his face. Chase from Saracens was far more isolated than last week.

Think we're seeing a significant difference in Saracens levels of intensity and focus. It's going to be very hard to replicate the emotion and effort again for a second week.

They're just not as sharp as they were last week. Itoje was stepped there in the defensive line by an opposition forward. Vunipola spilling a pass too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Got it working, my router was doing strange things. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Good starts for the two Irish lads. Zebo popping up around the field. Got hammered taking a restart there but took it and presented the ball cleanly.

Again, can see the heavier legs for Saracens. Russell could clear it into the other half under little pressure compared to the energy previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Needlessly dodgy tackle by Thomas but at least he looks up for it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,836 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Good decision nigel

Someone pinned for not using the ball.
    Get those lottery picks in lads....

I wonder was language an issue there for Iribaren. Clearly told to use twice and never showed more urgency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement