Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Champions Cup 2019/20

  • 08-12-2019 8:26pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203


    Harlequins - Ulster
    Racing 92 - Ospreys

    Benetton - Lyon
    Leinster - Northampton Saints
    Glasgow Warriors - La Rochelle
    Saracens - Munster
    Connacht - Gloucester
    Montpellier - Toulouse

    Exeter Chiefs - Sale
    ASM Clermont Auvergne - Bath


    Leinster [29], Exeter [29], Racing [27], Toulouse [28] & Ulster/Clermont [27/26] are in one hell of a scrap for a top 2 seeding in the QF. The max points they can achieve are in brackets, bonus points from here on are vital. If Munster do get a QF I reckon they could be going to Paris. Sarries lose this weekend and they are likely to field the sort of weakened side they sent to Paris for the R1 game in the return game in R6 which gives Racing an opportunity to go 6/6.
    I expect Leinster to pick up 15 more match points. After this round quite a few teams will be gone and will be fixture fulfilment mode in January


    Game of the weekend is toss up between the Ulster and Munster games, Ulster win and they should get a QF but i cant see them beating Clermont away so it will be an away trip.



    R4 Predictions [Match Points in brackets]

    Ulster [4]
    Racing [5]
    Lyon [4]
    Leinster [5]
    Glasgow [5]
    Saracens [4] - Munster to take a point away
    Connacht [4]
    Toulouse [4]
    Exeter [5]
    Clermont [5]


    QF as it stands (I think)
    Leinster - Saints
    Exeter - Munster
    Toulouse - Clermont
    Ulster - Racing


    QF guess
    Leinster v Glasgow
    Exeter v Ulster
    Racing v Munster/Sarries
    Toulouse v Clermont


«13456726

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ liosnagceann75


    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Harlequins - Ulster
    Racing 92 - Ospreys

    Benetton - Lyon
    Leinster - Northampton Saints
    Glasgow Warriors - La Rochelle
    Saracens - Munster
    Connacht - Gloucester
    Montpellier - Toulouse

    Exeter Chiefs - Sale
    ASM Clermont Auvergne - Bath


    Leinster [29], Exeter [29], Racing [27], Toulouse [28] & Ulster/Clermont [27/26] are in one hell of a scrap for a top 2 seeding in the QF. The max points they can achieve are in brackets, bonus points from here on are vital. If Munster do get a QF I reckon they could be going to Paris. Sarries lose this weekend and they are likely to field the sort of weakened side they sent to Paris for the R1 game in the return game in R6 which gives Racing an opportunity to go 6/6.
    I expect Leinster to pick up 15 more match points. After this round quite a few teams will be gone and will be fixture fulfilment mode in January


    Game of the weekend is toss up between the Ulster and Munster games, Ulster win and they should get a QF but i cant see them beating Clermont away so it will be an away trip.



    R4 Predictions [Match Points in brackets]

    Ulster [4]
    Racing [5]
    Lyon [4]
    Leinster [5]
    Glasgow [5]
    Saracens [4] - Munster to take a point away
    Connacht [4]
    Toulouse [4]
    Exeter [5]
    Clermont [5]


    QF as it stands (I think)
    Leinster - Saints
    Exeter - Munster
    Toulouse - Clermont
    Ulster - Racing


    QF guess
    Leinster v Glasgow
    Exeter v Ulster
    Racing v Munster/Sarries
    Toulouse v Clermont

    Can munster face racing in quarter final if they get out of the group?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 Former Former


    Can munster face racing in quarter final if they get out of the group?

    Yes


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭ Snickers Man


    My predictions after round 3 for the Quarter Final line ups.

    Leinster v Northampton
    Exeter Chiefs v Ulster
    Clermont Auvergne v Saracens
    Toulouse v Racing 92

    Can't see Munster or Connacht making it at this stage. Glasgow might pip Northampton for last runner up slot but if it comes to tries, Northampton has an Italian team in its group.

    Subject to massive change as tournament progresses. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭ Interested Observer


    What are the rules around home semi finals these days?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭ Buer


    What are the rules around home semi finals these days?

    Essentially, if a team finishes as first or second seed and wins their QF, they retain home/country advantage for the semi final regardless of results elsewhere.

    KNOCKOUT STAGE
    2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:
    Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
    Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
    Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
    Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

    The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

    Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
    Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭ 171170


    My predictions after round 3 for the Quarter Final line ups.

    Leinster v Northampton
    Exeter Chiefs v Ulster
    Clermont Auvergne v Saracens
    Toulouse v Racing 92

    Can't see Munster or Connacht making it at this stage. Glasgow might pip Northampton for last runner up slot but if it comes to tries, Northampton has an Italian team in its group.

    Subject to massive change as tournament progresses. :)

    If Northampton scrape through, it will be mainly because that incompetent fool Adamson gave them a very debatable last second penalty in Treviso that Dan the Man converted for the win.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭ Rigor Mortis


    171170 wrote: »
    If Northampton scrape through, it will be mainly because that incompetent fool Adamson gave them a very debatable last second penalty in Treviso that Dan the Man converted for the win.

    True, but if you go over the six games of all of the teams who will be competing for the last spot, i guarantee you each will have benefitted in a decisive way from one or more contentious decisions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭ Squidgy Black


    Ospreys getting hammered by Racing here. TBP was secured before half time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭ Dave_The_Sheep


    Ospreys getting hammered by Racing here. TBP was secured before half time.

    To the surprise of absolutely no one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,226 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Ulster looking like real contenders in this competition. It's going to put an interesting context to the inter-pro's, especially if the other provinces win this weekend.

    Those match threads should be civil and effortlessly moderated. I for one won't even be mentioning Peter O'Mahony.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭ RugbyLover123


    The ref here was the same one in the Leinster game last week. Can’t say I’ve noticed him really before last week, but he was good last week and so far this week.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭ Squidgy Black


    Ospreys managed to finally pick up a point anyways after scoring 3 tries in 10 minutes. 40-27 is very flattering for them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,226 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    If people aren't getting excited about this Ulster rugby team yet they should be. That's a brilliant performance, really classy tries and a dominant pack despite a fair smattering of errors.

    Thoroughly enjoyed the game. That's one of the best centre partnerships in Europe. That's one of the best 9's in Europe and a very well drilled and motivated pack.

    Some tough call coming up for Farrell. Irish rugby has responded well to the disappointment of the World Cup.

    Note: I said nothing about Peter O'Mahony.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭ Paul Smeenus


    Venjur wrote: »
    If people aren't getting excited about this Ulster rugby team yet they should be. That's a brilliant performance, really classy tries and a dominant pack despite a fair smattering of errors.

    Thoroughly enjoyed the game. That's one of the best centre partnerships in Europe. That's one of the best 9's in Europe and a very well drilled and motivated pack.

    Some tough call coming up for Farrell. Irish rugby has responded well to the disappointment of the World Cup.

    Note: I said nothing about Peter O'Mahony.

    Venjur, shut up and leave us alone. I know you fancy dan Leinsterites love "the attention" - we do not.

    Just another half-hearted, unconvincing win that we scraped through. Ho hum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭ Paul Smeenus


    Also - stop slagging off Peter O'Mahony.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,226 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Venjur, shut up and leave us alone. I know you fancy dan Leinsterites love "the attention" - we do not.

    Just another half-hearted, unconvincing win that we scraped through. Ho hum.

    Bz5fX_gCcAEBQer.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203


    Leinster are on course for top seed. Its a 3 way fight for 2 places with Exeter and Toulouse.

    QF possibility. Saints should get 5 v Benetton and could get 5 at Lyon who may just give up now.

    Glasgow failure to beat La Rochelle today really has hurt their chances.


    Potential QF lineup
    Leinster v Saints
    Exeter v Sarries
    Toulouse v Ulster
    Clermont v Racing


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭ Squidgy Black


    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leinster are on course for top seed. Its a 3 way fight for 2 places with Exeter and Toulouse.

    QF possibility. Saints should get 5 v Benetton and could get 5 at Lyon who may just give up now.

    Glasgow failure to beat La Rochelle today really has hurt their chances.


    Potential QF lineup
    Leinster v Saints
    Exeter v Sarries
    Toulouse v Ulster
    Clermont v Racing

    I'd be surprised if Saints get 5 at Benetton given their European form. Especially given Saints are playing Sale and Gloucester over the Christmas break whereas Benetton have two handy games against Zebre.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ScrubsfanChris


    I'd be surprised if Saints get 5 at Benetton given their European form. Especially given Saints are playing Sale and Gloucester over the Christmas break whereas Benetton have two handy games against Zebre.
    Northampton are home. Still wont be easy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203


    I'd be surprised if Saints get 5 at Benetton given their European form. Especially given Saints are playing Sale and Gloucester over the Christmas break whereas Benetton have two handy games against Zebre.

    Saints are at home. Benetton are out. It's also their R5 game.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 33,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pickarooney


    It's stupid if you can play against a team from your group in the QF or even the SF


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,226 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    It really is all to play for going into the final two rounds.

    Leinster, Ulster, Racing, Toulouse and I expect Exeter all look pretty good at this point.

    There are 7 teams in the running for those final three slots and some really important fixtures the final two rounds.

    Not a bad tournament this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭ Clegg


    Play has been suspended in the Sale/Exeter due to hail. In fairness, it's pelting down in droves.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ScrubsfanChris


    Clermont in blue and Bath in yellow. Who's idea was that? :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ScrubsfanChris


    It looked bad for Northampton early on yesterday.
    This looking like Bath wishing they took a sick day.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ScrubsfanChris


    Clermont secure the TBP with 19:58 on the clock


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203


    Clermont secure the TBP with 19:58 on the clock

    #prayforulster


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ScrubsfanChris


    Insert "simpsons he's already dead" meme here


  • Subscribers Posts: 36,240 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    40 points to 7 after 34 mins


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭ The Lost Sheep


    It's stupid if you can play against a team from your group in the QF or even the SF
    it isnt stupid at all especially when you have just 5 pools and 3 runners up qualifying and quarters need be based on rankings from pool stage. If you could expand tournament then change the tournament regs for a first knockout round but not now


Advertisement