Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Awful format. They should've just gone to a straight knock out tournament with top 4 teams in each league, with a bye or such

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Awful format. They should've just gone to a straight knock out tournament with top 4 teams in each league, with a bye or such
    Why would you reduce the number of games by such a large amount?
    Its a terrible format but straight knock out would be far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

If each team will play two other teams, home and away, then would 8 groups of 3 teams not have been a more straightforward format...?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zzippy wrote: »
    Crazy format. At least in other years if you won all your games you were guaranteed a quarter final spot. Now you could win all your games and still not qualify because another team you didn't even get to play had an easier draw.

But if 8 teams qualify for the QFs and it's only possible for 6 to win all their games, then that's not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But if 8 teams qualify for the QFs and it's only possible for 6 to win all their games, then that's not correct.

It's possible for 6 teams in each pool to win all of their games. 12 in total.

But it's just a hypothetical situation and very unlikely.

No matter what format they go with, people are going to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Podge_irl wrote: »
    So basically its a competition to see how much the Tier 1 teams can hump the Tier 4 teams by to see who tops the pools?

That's my take. Doesn't exactly introduce new opportunities like the explainer video implies.

Why would you reduce the number of games by such a large amount?
    Its a terrible format but straight knock out would be far worse

The season is already compacted,.with a Lions tour to boot. I'd rather an actual "Elite" tournament, than this Mickey mouse effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So basically its a competition to see how much the Tier 1 teams can hump the Tier 4 teams by to see who tops the pools?

Again, no.

Sale won't "hamp" Montpellier at all, it might be the reverse.

Connacht and revamped Dragons are 100% able to beat Bordeaux or Lyon at home too.

Tiers don't mean anything, especially this year. Racing 2nd tier, Toulouse 3rd tier, they are not behind the above. Just haven't defended their chances after being weakened by international periods

The season is already compacted,.with a Lions tour to boot. I'd rather an actual "Elite" tournament, than this Mickey mouse effort.
    A straight knock out with far less teams wouldnt be better though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    It isn't actually that confusing really, it's just the video goes through it too quickly. I also don't think it's actually skewed in favour of any tier either. The big teams that people want to avoid are the likes of Leinster, Exeter, Racing, Clermont and Toulouse. They are all scattered throughout the tiers. The way it is explained, i.e. tier 1 plays tier 4, sounds skewed. But when you look at the teams in those tiers you could be looking at Leinster playing Toulouse while Connacht play Edinburgh.

It is a bit of a mess though for just the 1 less game.

I’m sorry but that is absurd. It is 100% skewed in favour of tier 1 teams. They are playing teams that finished 7th and 8th in their domestic leagues and wouldn’t ordinarily even qualify for the competition! Toulouse are a stand out tier 4 team but even then we are assuming they will revert to form they didn’t show in the 2019-2020 season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I’m sorry but that is absurd. It is 100% skewed in favour of tier 1 teams. They are playing teams that finished 7th and 8th in their domestic leagues and wouldn’t ordinarily even qualify for the competition! Toulouse are a stand out tier 4 team but even then we are assuming they will revert to form they didn’t show in the 2019-2020 season.

That would be ECC home quarter finalists Toulouse who still had 9 league games to play and were the grand total of 2 points off 6th and 6 points off third place?

Too much emphasis is being put on where they were in the table without looking at how tight it actually was between second and eight.

Are you claiming that 6th place Clermont are going to be an easy touch too?

That would be ECC home quarter finalists Toulouse who still had 9 league games to play and were the grand total of 2 points off 6th and 6 points off third place?

Too much emphasis is being put on where they were in the table without looking at how tight it actually was between second and eight.

And Gloucester.
    Even Dragons when their "fabulous 4" arrive.

There will be absolutely no "walkovers".

London Irish, Worcester, Castres might have been, but not those 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

There are plenty of walkovers in there.

The gap between the top 5 or 6 teams in Europe and the rest is substantial and widening.

The reduction in the number of pool games means that the very rare surprise will have an exagerated impact.

A straight knock out with far less teams wouldnt be better though

I'd disagree with you on that point. Looking to the future, if a realigned season came to pass, a straightforward knockout Euro Comp would be my preference. After the completion of the leagues

There are plenty of walkovers in there.

The gap between the top 5 or 6 teams in Europe and the rest is substantial and widening.

The reduction in the number of pool games means that the very rare surprise will have an exagerated impact.

I 100% disagree

I bet Connacht/Dragons to beat Sale and Lyon and Bordeaux at home

I'd disagree with you on that point. Looking to the future, if a realigned season came to pass, a straightforward knockout Euro Comp would be my preference. After the completion of the leagues
    So we have fewer teams represented in europe and closing off game to the top elite. Why is that a good thing. We need to be looking at expanding the sport not looking inwards.
    Its the same with international game and Ireland and 6 Nations need to do a lot more for Georgia etc and Rugby championship sides need to do way more for fijis etc

They had a pretty easy group.

The French will always throw things for a loop a bit, particularly given their varying degrees of attachment to the Euro cup. But tier 1 teams will now avoid racing, Toulon and Clermont completely. Gloucester a much easier scalp than Bristol also. The glut of teams in 2-6 that tier 1 teams now miss completely is what we need to compare to tier 4 teams and the difference is noticeable.

connachta wrote: »
    I 100% disagree

I bet Connacht/Dragons to beat Sale and Lyon and Bordeaux at home

Bordeaux are guaranteed 2 games against Connacht or Dragons instead of potentially against Munster. They’ll be laughing.

Bordeaux are guaranteed 2 games against Connacht or Dragons instead of potentially against Munster. They’ll be laughing.

Yeah they should laugh a wee bit less coming down at the Sportsground, like Toulouse, Montpelier, Gloucester, Harlequins, Sale, Wasps, before them

So we have fewer teams represented in europe and closing off game to the top elite. Why is that a good thing. We need to be looking at expanding the sport not looking inwards.
    Its the same with international game and Ireland and 6 Nations need to do a lot more for Georgia etc and Rugby championship sides need to do way more for fijis etc

I'd rather the Euro be an elite comp. There's enough scope with the leagues and Challenge cup for broadening the game at club level. There's also the simple fact that the calender is too full anyway, with the top level players absent far too often from their clubs. You can argue that it helps bring on new players, which has its merits, but it devalues the quality of the league when the best players don't play.

• Advertisement

I'd rather the Euro be an elite comp. There's enough scope with the leagues and Challenge cup for broadening the game at club level. There's also the simple fact that the calender is too full anyway, with the top level players absent far too often from their clubs. You can argue that it helps bring on new players, which has its merits, but it devalues the quality of the league when the best players don't play.
    It would still be an elite competition and have best playing. Straight knockout two legged affairs works well in soccer and other sports but just wouldnt work as well in rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They had a pretty easy group.

So did Exeter and, in the end, Leinster.

Difficult draws happen. Look at Munsters pool in the 19/20 HEC. Slightly easier draws happen too.

Leinster playing Toulouse is not an easy draw. Munster could get Northampton and La Rochelle. Connacht could get Sale and Lyon. I'd take either of those over Harlequins and Toulouse any day.

Theres not much between a lot of the English sides at this stage. Its the French teams that we should all be looking at. And the likes of Lyon and La Rochelle have shown little interest in Europe to date. So yeah, one of Munster or Ulster will draw a tough French side. The other will draw a handy one. Leinster could just as easily draw either a tough one or a handy one too. Theres not a whole lot in it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Surely Bordeaux could be playing a Tier 4 team from England?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Both. They are up against Connacht/Dragons and Harlequins/Gloucester.

We've no idea how bothered they'll be with Europe though. Just look at La Rochelle and Lyon in recent years.

It would still be an elite competition and have best playing. Straight knockout two legged affairs works well in soccer and other sports but just wouldnt work as well in rugby

I understand this year is a aberration, but you can hardly say that having 8 teams from each league represents the elite. I also think that if you have it as a straight knockout, you're more apt to get better motivation for the competition from the French teams, than you do currently.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any competition where 60% of the possible teams which can qualify for it, qualifies for it... can certainly not be considered an elite competition.

I accept its an once off for next season, but even a 20 team comp has 50% of the possible teams qualifying for it..... very hard to consider than an elite competition either.

Bordeaux will play a tier 4 team from England. And one from PRO14. And if they are in any way competent they will qualify for the QFs ridiculously easily.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Leinster playing Toulouse is not an easy draw. Munster could get Northampton and La Rochelle. Connacht could get Sale and Lyon. I'd take either of those over Harlequins and Toulouse any day.

Why? Sale seem pretty comfortably better than Quins at the moment. The only reason Toulouse seems like a worse draw is because they generally take the competition more seriously. Considering how easily the French Tier 1 teams should be able to qualify this time I’m not sure they’ll be so abject. But let’s see.

The benefit for Irish teams is definitely less but there is a massive disparity in the way this is being run for everyone.

Bordeaux will play a tier 4 team from England. And one from PRO14. And if they are in any way competent they will qualify for the QFs ridiculously easily.

So you bet Bordeaux to win away to Gloucester, Harlerquins and Connacht or new Dragons?
    Which is the only way to go through (and still not certain as said above)
    How many would you bet?
    I'm 90% sure they'll lost at least one

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    So you bet Bordeaux to win away to Gloucester, Harlerquins and Connacht or new Dragons?
    Which is the only way to go through (and still not certain as said above)
    How many would you bet?
    I'm 90% sure they'll lost at least one

I bet them to do better than they would against Munster and Northampton yes. Which is all that matters.

Advertisement