Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and licence applications

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

irish1759 wrote: »
    Put my first application in on the 26th may, got my letter today and paid in the post office. Do I need to return that letter with the receipt or is it all done by the post office. It's all new to me. Thanks
    how long after were you waiting after you paid in the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

markc2951 wrote: »
    how long after were you waiting after you paid in the post office

Usually it's only about four or five working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Just had a sub done in 2 weeks. Fastest ever for me. Chuffed. Now I just have to wait for the import of the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Do licences normally include Make and Model?

I have three Licences with Make only and one (sub) with Make and Model (the model detail is incorrect on licence).

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Do licences normally include Make and Model?

I have three Licences with Make only and one (sub) with Make and Model (the model detail is incorrect on licence).

Just the make and caliber on any if my licenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Max H

I've just had my grant letter through for a PCP air rifle, I applied for a moderator. I have just paid at the post office and await for said licence, do I assume I will have the magic s on the licence as there was no refusal on application

Max H wrote: »
    I've just had my grant letter through for a PCP air rifle, I applied for a moderator. I have just paid at the post office and await for said licence, do I assume I will have the magic s on the licence as there was no refusal on application

Don't assume anything. :D

There will probably be an S on the licence given that you have heard nothing but nothing is guaranteed. If there's no S on the licence, go into your Garda station and enquire why there is no S as you ticked the box for a silencer. They'll probably take a day or two to come back to you with an answer. Only then will you know if you've been refused or if there was an error processing your application.

I got a licence with no S on it after applying for one and the local Gardai were able to make enquiries and they had the licence reissued the with the S on it. Apparently someone keying in the licence details didn't press the S key..........or so I was told. Didn't matter, got the S in the end so I was happy.

Licence arrived today with the magic s on it. Pity I cannot collect new gun, because of lockdown. Hey Ho.

Licence arrived today with the magic s on it. Pity I cannot collect new gun, because of lockdown. Hey Ho.

Vermin control is permitted under lockdown so if you need equipment for vermin control, then I don't see why you can't trave during lockdown.

Phone your gun dealer/whoever you bought the gun from and arrange to collect it.

Same here. Even if I could go and get it, Midlands is the only place I can shoot it, so .....

Stoopid pandemic.

• Advertisement

Not sure I want to travel 45 km to pick up gun to risk being stopped by gard who we then have the was this an essential journey trip question, oh you have a gun in the car, type scenario. I have contacted my FX dealer and he is happy to hang on till December, assuming they lift travel bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Not sure I want to travel 45 km to pick up gun to risk being stopped by gard who we then have the was this an essential journey trip question, oh you have a gun in the car, type scenario. I have contacted my FX dealer and he is happy to hang on till December, assuming they lift travel bans.

Get it delivered by courier! Should be no hassle.

Well it's a package, so gun, 12 litre cylinder scope and moderator, so not sure what a courier would charge

Obviously this isn't legal advice but vermin control is considered an essential service so if you need a gun to carry out vermin control, travel for this reason would be allowed.
    The shooting of pest and predator species is regarded as an essential service to the farming community and therefore permitted even if it takes place more than 5 km from the participants home.

Source: https://countrysportsireland.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MechMark

Anyone receive a license lately? Put one in before Christmas and wondering if the wheels are still turning.

MechMark wrote: »
    Anyone receive a license lately? Put one in before Christmas and wondering if the wheels are still turning.

My licence for a substitution came in the post on Christmas Eve. I collected the gun on New Year's Eve.

Substitution took the guts of 3 months. About 3 weeks of that was my fault though as I didn't include a letter from the gun dealer who was taking in my old gun. I just wrote his details on the form without providing proof that I had handed in my old gun. My bad.

Waited 2 months for a first licence and sending in one next week for the rifle,hopefully I'll get it done in 1 month,

Would o have grounds to apply for silencer for use on the range ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

A have a renewal due in March, guard rang me on Christmas Eve and asked if I could drop the form in straight away so they could keep ahead of things.
    He said not to worry about the passport pics, they were happy to relax the rules a little considering the situation.
    He was pretty polite so I filled it out and dropped it in a couple of hours later.
    Grant letter arrived a couple of days ago.

Cheers guys, great to see things are still moving. Just a waiting game now.

markc2951 wrote: »
    Waited 2 months for a first licence and sending in one next week for the rifle,hopefully I'll get it done in 1 month,

Would o have grounds to apply for silencer for use on the range ?

Should be no problem at all, moderator use at ranges is common practice. Just tick the box on the form and it’ll arrive with the “S” on the license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Put in a sub 19th Dec, arrived today? 2weeks if you allow small break for Christmas, I'm happy enough with that.
    Friend put in for his first fire arm ever, 270win, in Nov, shot his first deer with own rifle over christmas??? fast.
    So all good as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I put in one 3 weeks before Christmas. Grant came through yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

In the midlands, 2 substitutions went in November and December respectively, got the letter that they had been received at the start of this month, expecting them to take another month or two at this rate.
    I was under the impression that subs were faster than new applications, but evidently not, or at least not for me this time.
    Both the above are non restricted too.

I had a renewal due back in August that required an interview, put the paperwork in shortly after receiving it in early May, ended up getting the interview after much pushing in December shortly before Christmas, and licence in January.
    So of my 3 year licencing period that was nearly 6 months gone before it was actually renewed.

Not having good luck with times this year or last... :mad:

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Should have sent it back in again and told them to please backdate to when your original application should have been issued. IE the 6months, as you are not getting the full value or time period of the license fee due to circumstances beyond everyone's control.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BSA International

Renewal paperwork submitted and grant letter in 2 x weeks. Tipp.

Put paperwork in today for a rifle so see how that goes,im guessing one month

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Is there a fee for substitution? Or is it just paperwork? I also didn't realise you hafta surrender your gun to the dealer while waiting on the sub to be processed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

alan0387 wrote: »
    Is there a fee for substitution?
    No, its free.
    Or is it just paperwork?
    Just the FCA1.
    I also didn't realise you hafta surrender your gun to the dealer while waiting on the sub to be processed?
    You do and don't but it makes life easier if you do.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭chris20

Put in a new application for a 223 and a shotgun renewal into kildare just under 3 weeks ago and both arrived this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Submitted a new application for a non restricted rifle 12 weeks ago. From trying to contact the FO for an update on the progress of the application, I got a phonecall on week 10 to say they had received it but had not reviewed it yet.

Advertisement