Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand day here, mostly dry apart from 2 showers, looking forward to some more dry weather next week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Enjoyed being out when I had a chance today even though got caught in a shower. Started windy with some big showers during the morning which lessened and lightened as the day went on. Sunshine more or less throughout with passing cloud. The air was cool and crisp with low humidity and could feel that the Autumn is taking hold .

Cooling down tonight, I think the fire is going to be a permanent feature from now on.

Pic this morning in Tralee 09.00 .

Nw3JFLR.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice Sat Pic of Storm Bronagh having cleared the UK and moving off towards Scandinavia today.

NASA

0fq2AAc.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet, grey and bitter in Cork City. Its 10 degrees but feels a hell of a lot colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Sounds lovely there thankfully everything back to normal for some. A lot of ye would hate it here 22 degrees brilliant sunshine and it’s not 10am yet. Temps expected to get to 27/28 this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nice evening here now after a very dull and cloudy day, sun is out and no breeze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sounds lovely there thankfully everything back to normal for some. A lot of ye would hate it here 22 degrees brilliant sunshine and it’s not 10am yet. Temps expected to get to 27/28 this afternoon.

:D
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at some stats here and noticed that the 'IMT' daily mean temperature on the 20th (Thursday) came in at only 9.0c, which would make it the coolest day to occur within the Sept-1st to 20th period since that of the 8.4c on the Sept 15th 1986, and looking at the temperature deviation chart for that day, it isn't hard to see why.

del3cJD.png

While daily mean temps as low as this do tend to occur someone more frequently towards the last days of the month, they are still very few and far between.

It has been a strange year, with some of the coldest March days on record, followed by some of the warmest June days in decades, which in turn coincided with one of the longest driest periods in decades also, which in itself set in after those unusually severe thunderstorms at the end of May in the SE and in the west and midlands in early June (which was shortly followed by that storm that I can't think of the name of). Add to that the unusually windy conditions for the time of year earlier this week also.

God only knows what might happen this coming Winter if this trend continues for another while yet.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Hector is that storm you're talking about. August is the only month so far this year that I will probably forget about. This is how I'll remember each month bar August so far (although I guess it's good enough to say that August wasn't totally horrible?):

January: Potent northwesterlies that even delivered snow here. This was my first time ever staying up to watch snow.
    February: Lots of days with snow showers.
    March: The Beasts from the East and Storm Emma.
    April: Very dull first half followed by a nice end to the month
    May: Sunny and dry.
    June: Hot, sunny and dry.
    July: Wasn't here but good weather.
    September: Storm Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PowerTaxi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but anyway, is there any sort of vague outlook for what Oct. 2nd looks like?

Flying out then and just would like a heads up in case I'd have to consider making other plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool 3 degrees at Markree,Sligo on the 11pm Met Reports

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A cool 3 degrees at Markree,Sligo on the 11pm Met Reports

i can believe that - getting very nippy and a dew forming ... anyone know will the first night frost appear soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The stove was lit for the first night here in cork city. Had to be lit at 3pm. Was freezing! Haha

was really lovely here in south sligo at 3pm ... and even better when the sun came out - very pleasant, and i managed to get a bit of outdoor painting (gloss) done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement 2.8 °C minimum this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

First bit of frost on the cars earlier this morning,cool,crisp bright morn.
    Looking fairly settled for the next week to 2 weeks one or two sharp frosts to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

BBRrrrr!!

A chilly 7degC on a cloudless Sunday morning in Bray. First time since March that the oul bathroom tiles where chilly underfoot this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A lovely morning again in the west. Hopefully a few more to come. Can't beat the blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Awesome blue sky here too. Hopefully it lasts a few hours.

Question re storm names - Ali is the only named storm so far right? So the next one will be Bronagh and then Callum?

The media have me all confused because they keep referring to storms before they are named and then they don't materialise and the papers are left with with egg on their face ( or is news print on their face??).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

donal.hunt wrote: »
    Question re storm names - Ali is the only named storm so far right? So the next one will be Bronagh and then Callum?

No, Bronagh was named for the low on Thursday/Friday just gone by the UK Met Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A lovely morning again in the west. Hopefully a few more to come. Can't beat the blue sky.

and the dramatic cloud scapes. A lively wind over the ocean here, but the roof is "ticking" which means strong sun, Not heard that for a long while.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Lovely sunny day in greater Dublin but still fairly chilly. I had the fire lighting yesterday around 3pm until late last night will probably be lighting it everyday now until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

No Storm but quite gusty in showers here in Sligo

Gusting over 30 knots at times

Tame enough in Autumn I guess

First frost tonight.

Fantastic day here in Kerry. Sunshine and breezy ( quite windy for a time ) and cool in the NW wind but with low humidity making it an ideal day for pottering around the garden.

Just 12.6C

Bar continues to climb now at 1032.1 hPa Rising Slowly

pression2_uk_tko6.png

NASA

fD50hus.jpg?1

Nice evening despite a cool north westerly breeze.Clearing skies will allow a nice moon rise to be visible around 7.20pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Blissful in Father Collins Park, Dublin 13.

Cool crisp air here in Kerry, just 7.4C now.

My offering for this evening :) Ardfert Cathedral about 20.00

5Q4A5tL.jpg?1

Cool crisp air here in Kerry, just 7.4C now.

My offering for this evening :) Ardfert Cathedral about 20.00

5Q4A5tL.jpg?1

lovely pic

A widespread frost in places later tonight

10pm met reports:

Athenry 4 degrees
    Casement 4 degrees
    Gurteen 4 degrees
    Markree 4 degrees
    Mullingar 4 degrees

• Advertisement

A widespread frost in places later tonight

10pm met reports:

Athenry 4 degrees
    Casement 4 degrees
    Gurteen 4 degrees
    Markree 4 degrees
    Mullingar 4 degrees

outdoor oil boilers should kick in so ....

Advertisement