Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I remember that, the Antrim manager had so much faith in his team that he'd booked a holiday in America when the all Ireland would be on, and half his team weren't even on the field

I hadnt heard that before, but as far as I remember there was actually supposed to be someone else over the 21s and Ryan had to take it when he pulled out a month before they played Clare.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/24073264

Two years later, he had an interview about how he couldn't get a dozen players training. I guess there a lot more historically going on there that makes it an additional challenge, but I do recall Laois being in a similar position with their Seniors 10-12 years ago prior to Cheddar taking over.

Even now I know Brennan has mentioned it that some of their better lads won't commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I remember that, the Antrim manager had so much faith in his team that he'd booked a holiday in America when the all Ireland would be on, and half his team weren't even on the field

Antrim only togged 19 players and Wexford were 1/80 to win. Must go down as the biggest shock in recent hurling history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hadnt heard that before, but as far as I remember there was actually supposed to be someone else over the 21s and Ryan had to take it when he pulled out a month before they played Clare.

Two years later, he had an interview about how he couldn't get a dozen players training. I guess there a lot more historically going on there that makes it an additional challenge, but I do recall Laois being in a similar position with their Seniors 10-12 years ago prior to Cheddar taking over.

Even now I know Brennan has mentioned it that some of their better lads won't commit.

Yeah he was talking about it in very diplomatic language on the Sunday game the other week alright, hoping the Dublin win might persuade more lads to join the panel, and that they'd be welcome if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

Is it true Kilkenny got a slap in the wrists for having collective sessions. Croke Park got wind of this and are investigating at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Village87 wrote: »
    Is it true Kilkenny got a slap in the wrists for having collective sessions. Croke Park got wind of this and are investigating at present.

Why would you think there medical team would be that stupid to let that happen , the biggest pandemic the state ever witnessed going on.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Why would you think there medical team would be that stupid to let that happen , the biggest pandemic the state ever witnessed going on.

I cant answer that, i am only going on what i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

A lot of these lads see playing with the club as the priority as they see little chance of making an impact at inter-county. Can't blame them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Fred Daly wrote: »

From what I heard their training is within the Government and GAA regulations, ie in Groups of 4, and not using GAA facilities. A first step.

Good to hear the GAA announce today the possibility of reopening pitches and group training in Phase 3, 29th June. I note that they're still hopeful of running Cul Camps. We really need to start getting kids back into activity and social contact. Even to get them to the field for training. matches can wait. Much more of a priority than county or adult club action.

And wouldn't it be ironic if the GAA manages to organise activities for groups of small kids, while our Dept Education can't get them back into school.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Good to hear that KK Seniors are taking the common sense approach. Back training in small groups, complying with Phase 1 relaxation of restrictions. It really is a pity that juveniles aren't being allowed bsck on the field. Between school and sporting activities they really are being deprived. Especially when we see how things are progressing in other countries.

Why are they allowed to train at all? And aren't all pitches closed? This can't be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

kk1970 wrote: »
    Why are they allowed to train at all? And aren't all pitches closed? This can't be true

A certain pitch in Sth Kilkenny is being well used by 'parishioners' ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

kk1970 wrote: »

I believe that they are using school pitches, not Co Board or GAA club facilities. In groups of 4, so within regulations.
    And if the GAA were inclined they could allow clubs to do this too. And really should be doing all in their powers to get our kids back into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is tragic. RIP Lester Ryan Snr. That family have endured horrendous suffering.

“Former Kilkenny hurler dies after bike struck by tractor
    Lester Ryan snr (61), uncle of All-Ireland winner, dies in crash near his home in Gowran”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/former-kilkenny-hurler-dies-after-bike-struck-by-tractor-1.4272860

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

eigrod wrote: »
    This is tragic. RIP Lester Ryan Snr. That family have endured horrendous suffering.

“Former Kilkenny hurler dies after bike struck by tractor
    Lester Ryan snr (61), uncle of All-Ireland winner, dies in crash near his home in Gowran”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/former-kilkenny-hurler-dies-after-bike-struck-by-tractor-1.4272860

Rip.Condolences to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Gutted for the family

RIP Lester

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Very sad news about Lester. RIP Lester.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Lester Ryan RiP an unasuming man that did a lot of work in his own quiet way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Formats for competitions

All Knockout matches are finish on the day. Extra Time 2 periods of 10 minutes. If still level penalty shootout.

A player once he plays a match at a grade, that grade will be classed as his grade eg if player plays in Senior Round 1 he can not play Junior section B later. Formats for the lower grades could have to be changed if clubs have not the numbers to compete.

St. Canices Credit Union Kilkennny Senior Hurling Championship 2020 & Michael Lyng Motors Hyundai Intermediate Hurling Championship 2020
    12 Senior Teams Bennettsbridge, Clara, Danesfort, Dicksboro, Erins Own, Graiuge Ballycallan, James Stephens, Mullinavat, O Loughlin Gaels, Rower Inistiouge, Shamrocks Ballyhale, Tullaroan

12 Intermediate Teams Carrickshock, Dunnamaggin, Fenians, Glenmore, John Lockes, Lisdowney, O Louglin Gaels, St Lachtains, St Martins, St Patricks, Thomastown, Young Irelands

12 teams in both, Same format for both grades.
    4 groups of 3.
    3 rounds of league.

1st Round Knockout format 2nd place teams v 3rd place teams, teams in same group kept apart
    4 1st round losers drawn and play and play relegation semi Finals

Quarter final Draws seeded 1st teams in groups v 1st round knockout winners.

Semi Finals Open Draw

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Hurling Championship 2020
    13 Junior Section A Teams Barrow Rangers, Blacks and Whites, Cloneen, Conahy Shamrocks, Emeralds, Galmoy, Graignamanagh. Kilmacow, Mooncoin, Piltown, Slieverue, Tullogher Rosbercon, Windgap

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Section A Championship (13 Teams)
    13 teams 4 groups. 3 groups of 3 and 1 group of 4.

Preliminary round (1st Round knockout)
    4th in Group A v 3rd in Group B, C, D

12 Teams Left
    1st Round Knockout format (2nd round knockout)
    1st in Group A v 3rd Place team/Preliminary Winner
    1st in Group B v 3rd Place team/Preliminary Winner
    1st in Group C v 3rd Place team/Preliminary Winner
    1st in Group D v3rd Place team/Preliminary Winner
    2nd in Group v 2nd in Group
    2nd in Group v 2nd in Group

Quarter Finals (3rd round of Knockout)
    Semi Finals (4th Round of Knockout) Section B Winner come Enters
    County Final (5th round of knockout)

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior Section B Championship 7 teams (No Relegation this year)
    7 Junior Section B Teams, Clara, Dicksboro, Erins Own, James Stephens, Rower Inistiouge Shamrocks Ballyhale, St Patricks

1 group of 4 and 1 group of 3

Knockout Quarter finals
    1st in Group B v 4th in Group A
    2nd in Group B v 3rd in Group A
    3rd in Group B v 2nd in Group A
    1st in Group A has a bye

Section B Semi Finals open draw

Jj Kavanagh & Sons Junior A Championship, Junior B Championship, Junior C Championship
    10 Junior A Teams Carrickshock, Dunnamaggin, Graigue Ballycallan, James Stephens, Lisdowney, Mooncoin, O Loughlin Gaels, Thomastown, Tullaroan, Young Irelands

10 Junior B Teams Barrow Rangers, Bennettsbridge, Conahy Shamrocks, Dicksboro, Glenmore, John Lockes Mullinavat, St Lachtains, St Martins, Tullogher Rosbercon

10 Junior C Teams Danesfort, Emeralds, Fenians, Galmoy, Graignamanagh, Mooncoin, Piltown, Shamrocks Ballyhale, Threecastles Windgap,

All 3 grades have 10 teams so same format
    5 1st round matches, draw done
    5 1st round winners and best loser through to next round. Best loser criteria in order (1) Smallest losing margin, (2) Highest Score by losing team (3) Most Goals scored by losing team.

Round 2 4 worst losers doubling up as relegation semifinals.
    Quarter finals 6 teams with bye from 1st round plus 2 2nd round winners

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior D Championship,
    9 Junior D Teams Barrow Rangers, Blacks and Whites, Carrigeen, Clara, Cloneen, James Stephens, Kilmacow, Slieverue, St Patricks

1st Round 4 1st round matches, draw done (1 club gets a bye)
    2nd round 2 worst 1st round losers loser eliminated.
    Quarter Finals open draw

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Junior E Championship 8 teams
    8 Junior E Teams Bennettsbridge, Danesfort, Dicksboro, Erins Own, Lisdowney, Moocoin, Rower Inistiouge, St Martins

1st Round 4 1st round matches
    2nd Round (winners group) 1st round winners v 1st round winners, (winners get a bye into semi-final, losers play in quarter final)
    2nd round (Losers group) 1st round losers v 1st Round losers (winners play quarter final, losers eliminated)

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Senior Football Championship (9 Teams Remaining)
    Senior Football Teams Left (9) Clara, Dicksboro, James Stephens, Kilmoganny, Mullinavat O Loughlin Gaels, Railyard Tullogher Rosbercon, Senior Football Relegation 3 Teams Clara, Danesfort, O Loughlin G

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

where is that info from ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

greenspurs wrote: »
    where is that info from ?

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2896

• Advertisement

By the sounds of things clubs have full access to county players until the club championship is complete

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

By the sounds of things clubs have full access to county players until the club championship is complete

As they should. It should always be club first, county second for players

Some clubs back training. County players did not attend as they have County training tonight. Will it carry on like this or will county teams continue to train collectively during the club period ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The one thing I don't get and maybe I'm being thick here but how do 3 teams in a group play 3 games of the league.

Group 1 has teams A, B and C
    Week1 A plays B
    Week2 A plays C
    Week3 B plays C

All teams have played twice where does the third match come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

The one thing I don't get and maybe I'm being thick here but how do 3 teams in a group play 3 games of the league.

Group 1 has teams A, B and C
    Week1 A plays B
    Week2 A plays C
    Week3 B plays C

All teams have played twice where does the third match come from?

Three rounds, not three matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Some clubs back training. County players did not attend as they have County training tonight. Will it carry on like this or will county teams continue to train collectively during the club period ?

How come the county team are training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Grats wrote: »
    Three rounds, not three matches.

I was being thick🙄 , thanks for setting me straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

I was being thick🙄 , thanks for setting me straight

To be honest I was puzzled at first too!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Grats wrote: »
    To be honest I was puzzled at first too!

It seems there are 3 matches for every team. Groups A/B/C/D but teams play against the 3 teams from another group if that makes sense. So teams in group A for example with play the 3 teams in group B etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

What???

You play the two teams in your group. The 3 rounds are A v B, A v C and B v C.

Top of group goes into QF.
    2nd and 3rd place teams play each other in open draw 1st round, can't play team from your own group.
    Winners go to QFs
    Losers go to relegation SFs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement