Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options
  • 16-11-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all ,

I am looking for a price for a drive way i need to get tarmac machine layed . I have all the krebing , Drainage and levels sorted and all that real need to be done is a small bit of preping and its ready for a base coat of tarmac .
    I have a contractor coming out on monday to price it but would like to have a idea of the price . Theres 600 meters squared and its in Galway City .

Cheers ,

Teepee .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Depending on what you want/need, are you looking for two coats Base course and wearing course, macadam or asphalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

just two layers of Tarmacadam .

Probably cost you approx €14,000, plus vat for 60mm of Base and 40mm of wearing course.
    Their is approx 85 tonne of BC and 60 tonne of WCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

macadam wrote: »
    Probably cost you approx €14,000, plus vat for 60mm of Base and 40mm of wearing course.
    Their is approx 85 tonne of BC and 60 tonne of WCM.

What exactly would the op be getting because that's an awful lot of money, my initial thought was that he asked for a quote for a drive way, not a run way!

I started looking into tarmac some time ago for my house but didn't get far due to a lack of interest from suppliers. I was looking at 700m2.

If I have to pay that sort of money for it, then other paving options are back on the table, having previously been ruled out on a cost basis.

I was under the impression that typically you get 50 - 60mm of tarmac over a compacted based of something like 804.

sas wrote: »
    What exactly would the op be getting because that's an awful lot of money, my initial thought was that he asked for a quote for a drive way, not a run way!

I started looking into tarmac some time ago for my house but didn't get far due to a lack of interest from suppliers. I was looking at 700m2.

If I have to pay that sort of money for it, then other paving options are back on the table, having previously been ruled out on a cost basis.

I was under the impression that typically you get 50 - 60mm of tarmac over a compacted based of something like 804.

The OP wants two coats 60mm and 40mm, which is probably overkill on a driveway, if the subbase is solid and compact 50mm rolled should suffice.
    You will pay a lot more for other paving options, your driveway will cost approx €10k+ for 50mm SMA, I am also providing you with quantities as this is where the Cowboys make there profits, @50mm your driveway will take approx 85 tonne of asphalt, you also will need blinding to level off and fill all voids etc.
    The cowboys could lay your driveway with 50 tonn or less and you wouldnt be any wiser, thats a saving of well over €2.5k and in a few years you will wonder what the fook happened my drive and where have these guys dissapeared too.
    I have 60mm of wearing course on my driveway and have no problem bringing in an oil lorry etc as I am confident that the subbase was sufficient and solid enough before I laid my wearing course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

You wouldn't be too far off €18/m2 for base and a 60/40 build up. In my opinion the SMA is a better finish with less rumble and is also slightly cheaper than typical HRA.

As mentioned there are cowboys a plenty out there. If you can't supervise them fully ask that they take a couple sample cores after it has been laid to check depth of construction before final payment is handed over. Obviously agree this with the contractor beforehand!

Got a price today , 50mm tarmac over base .

8,500 euro plus vat .

teepee wrote: »
    Got a price today , 50mm tarmac over base .

8,500 euro plus vat .
    Where I come from it wouldn't buy the material, can you name the contractor?
    Please be wise with your cash!!!

If you ask the contractor where the material is coming from and how much it will take, it should take 85 tonne of base at 60mm and 60 tonne at 40mm of wearing course if thats what he is giving you, just ring his supplier ask price per tonne and as they say do the maths.
    100 mm at 60/40 cannot be done at the price you are getting, I do believe that bitmac materials are dearer in the west of Ireland, something is wrong with that price.

Where I come from it wouldn't buy the material, can you name the contractor?
    Please be wise with your cash!!!

If you ask the contractor where the material is coming from and how much it will take, it should take 85 tonne of base at 60mm and 60 tonne at 40mm of wearing course if thats what he is giving you, just ring his supplier ask price per tonne and as they say do the maths.
    100 mm at 60/40 cannot be done at the price you are getting, I do believe that bitmac materials are dearer in the west of Ireland, something is wrong with that price.

Got that price from roadstone , and there no cowboys .

Got that price from roadstone , and there no cowboys .

What exactly are you getting for €8500??

• Advertisement

The break down of the price was ,

up to 60mm of final blinding with Clause 804 1,332.00 Euro .

50mm of AC10 close surf to CL909 7,1680.00 Euro .

Does that sound right , I have all the ground work done and there a good soild base down and compacked for the last 8 years .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

The break down of the price was ,

up to 60mm of final blinding with Clause 804 1,332.00 Euro .

50mm of AC10 close surf to CL909 7,1680.00 Euro .

Does that sound right , I have all the ground work done and there a good soild base down and compacked for the last 8 years .

cl804 isnt tarmac, which is where the difference is. you only have 50 mm of tarmac in that, on top of 60mm of plain stone. which is where the difference of €6500 is with the other quote mentioned on the thread. if you were to have a basecourse of macadam, it would be closer to the 14K. depends on what you want.

just two layers of Tarmacadam .

So you dont require two coats of Tarmacadam as you initially stated,
    what your getting now is 60mm of 804 quarry filling and 50mm (Rolled)?
    of wearing course macadam.
    The local Roadstone plant close to me wont guarantee the wearing course for driveways, they recommend SMA.
    Best of luck with it may it serve you well for years to come.

Just be sure the oil delivery driver doesn’t turn around in the driveway, a neighbour had their driveway ripped up when a full tanker turned on the driveway.

@TeePee, Just wondering how the driveway worked out for you, if you got it done, weather wasnt the best for that work this past 3 months.

@TeePee, Just wondering how the driveway worked out for you, if you got it done, weather wasnt the best for that work this past 3 months.

Didn't go with it , going to leave it as I have to imagrate due to the lack of work .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

macadam,

I got a quote today for my drive, 8400 (incl vat) euro for 70m of concrete kirbing (7.5) , final ready of levels before tar (drive is slopping naturally from the house straight down to the road) 5 aco-drains to stop run off water coming against the house, and 50mm tar over 286m2.

Nothing but old hardcore on the drive,well compacted over the last 27 years! any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Shamrock I have PM'ed you some information, it seems a bit expensive for "tarmac" which is not really suitable for driveways we use a minimum of SMA as its a stronger material well able to withstand power steering etc, also the amount of FINISHED depth is the secret your driveway @ 50mm will take 35 ton I know guys that would do it with 22 ton thats some saving for them but not for you as in 3 to 4 years your drive will disintegrate

• Registered Users Posts: 14 catskin

Hi macadam,

Looking for your advice – I have a large area ( 900 sqm) that I am thinking of getting macadam laid on. The area is split into 2 sections – 1/the front and side of the house that is ~ 600 sqm and 2/ the driveway to the road that is ~300. To cut down on cost I was thinking of getting macadam laid at the front and side of the house and then tar and chip laid on the driveway to the road. From your experience would tar and chip be a bad option?

I have priced three contractors to date to apply 50mm macadam to the full 900 sqm, put in 20 mtrs of kerbs, do the required levelling with quarry stone and drainage - this is coming in at between 15.5 and 16.5 euros per sqm.

Thanks
    Catskin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi Macadam
    Could I annoy you into a ball park on what 450 sq m may cost a man in Mayo?
    From what you are saying 50mm SMA is the way to go.

I have maintainence down there for 6 years so its well compacted. All Kerbed.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimar

catskin wrote: »
    Hi macadam,

Looking for your advice – I have a large area ( 900 sqm) that I am thinking of getting macadam laid on. The area is split into 2 sections – 1/the front and side of the house that is ~ 600 sqm and 2/ the driveway to the road that is ~300. To cut down on cost I was thinking of getting macadam laid at the front and side of the house and then tar and chip laid on the driveway to the road. From your experience would tar and chip be a bad option?

I have priced three contractors to date to apply 50mm macadam to the full 900 sqm, put in 20 mtrs of kerbs, do the required levelling with quarry stone and drainage - this is coming in at between 15.5 and 16.5 euros per sqm.

Thanks
    Catskin

Hi,

Can I ask if these prices quoted include vat?

Thanks.

Jimar wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I ask if these prices quoted include vat?

Thanks.

Ex vat

the price quotes that I received are inclusive of VAT

catskin wrote: »
    the price quotes that I received are inclusive of VAT

Yes but for wearing course macadam, ie not Stone mastic asphalt.

Yes, thats correct

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Here's a calculator I found on a UK site (to save macadam telling us all how many tons are required!)
    http://www.lafarge.co.uk/wps/portal/uk/3_C_6_2-QuantityCalculator#

I've a few q's for Macadam or anyone else who may be able to assist....
    How much is a ton of SMA, wearing course macadam etc? Ball parks will do!
    Are there many suppliers of this?
    Does this cost vary much around the country?
    Does this cost vary much over time i.e. does it fluctuate regularly?
    Would it be regular practice for contractor to prove the amount of tonnage supplied via invoices etc? i.e. to insure 35 tons if that's what the calc said.

Then at least when we get quotes we can decipher the labour cost etc element and figure out what sort of deal we are getting.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

i got tarmac done a few months ago juniorb, i was thinking of putting it down myself n am glad i didnt. worked out at 15e a sq metre including any prep work 804 -( there wasnt much) i supplied gully lids n wavin pipes.
    i got 50mm when rolled sma.
    i priced sma from roadstone think it was 85e incl a ton.
    i was going to do it myself with 2 lads that worked at tarmacing roads in the boom, rent a roller etc n get a few barrows n rakes but i learnt a lot of stuff that i wouldnt have done with them. plus yer man i got put it down with a blawnox? which is way better than anyone eyeing it with a rake

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

enricoh wrote: »
    i got tarmac done a few months ago juniorb, i was thinking of putting it down myself n am glad i didnt. worked out at 15e a sq metre including any prep work 804 -( there wasnt much) i supplied gully lids n wavin pipes.
    i got 50mm when rolled sma.
    i priced sma from roadstone think it was 85e incl a ton.
    i was going to do it myself with 2 lads that worked at tarmacing roads in the boom, rent a roller etc n get a few barrows n rakes but i learnt a lot of stuff that i wouldnt have done with them. plus yer man i got put it down with a blawnox? which is way better than anyone eyeing it with a rake

Not a hope I'd be trying to lay myself Enricoh!
    Thanks for the ton price for SMA. That will give people here a chance to see what else they are paying for on top of the product as such.
    For example if I need 35 ton (at 50mm) then that will be 3k or so. If a lad is charging me 4k I know that he is charging 1k for his time,labour, machinery etc. All ball parks of course but good to have as much info as possible.
    Thanks again for the info.

JuniorB wrote: »
    Here's a calculator I found on a UK site (to save macadam telling us all how many tons are required!)
    http://www.lafarge.co.uk/wps/portal/uk/3_C_6_2-QuantityCalculator#

I've a few q's for Macadam or anyone else who may be able to assist....
    How much is a ton of SMA, wearing course macadam etc? Ball parks will do!
    Are there many suppliers of this?
    Does this cost vary much around the country?
    Does this cost vary much over time i.e. does it fluctuate regularly?
    Would it be regular practice for contractor to prove the amount of tonnage supplied via invoices etc? i.e. to insure 35 tons if that's what the calc said.

Then at least when we get quotes we can decipher the labour cost etc element and figure out what sort of deal we are getting.

Thanks in advance.

That calculator is not far off the formula I use, as the density of material can differ we need to adjust for this.
    there are a number of suppliers of bituminous material products in the country, Roadstone , Kilsaran, Lagan, Siac, Clarkes etc are a few of the bigger companies.
    Price can be subject to cahnge as the binder ingredient is made from oil bi product.
    Cost can vary from supplier, I purchase 90% of my material from one of the suppliers above and I have a deal done with a rate as Im in the trade and know how it works as in every business theirs a trade price and a retail price.
    I always let the customer know the amount of material Im quoting for, I know guys that when laying tarmac get well over 15m2 per ton where as the formula works out at 8.2m2 per ton for 50mm rolled , massive saving for the so called "contractor" but the customer is losing out as is the reputable contractor.
    Guys feel free to ask or Pm me dont be fooled into paying for something your not getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fiona111

Hi
    Just wondering what people would recommend. Have about 650m2 where there was tarmac down previously (probably 25+ years ago) but some of it has got ripped up by vehicles over the years (steep hill) and some has grass growing down the middle. There is also about 250m2 which is stone that was put down about 15 years ago but was never tarmaced over. These are the driveway up to two houses and the area to the front/side of the two, so they would need to cope with cars and occasional oil lorries.

I need some advice - what should I put down on the two areas (ie thicknesses and grades of material), and what sort of costs for the two areas. I don't want to end up re-doing it in 5 years time.
    thanks very much.

Advertisement