Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

Thanks Macadam,the whole area will need binding on top of the 804 and also 2 drains and associated work at the back of the house is included in that price.All my neighbors have"tarmac"and the power steering and oil truck doesn't seem to affect it at all ,from what I can see .As I said I just want a really good and long lasting job done,and don't mind paying for it as long as I'm not been overcharged.This guy comes highly recommended and I just saw a job he did half an hour ago and it looks top class,to me anyway.Thanks again for your help,much appreciated.Forgot to mention the front will be machine laid but about 150 square meters at the back will be hand laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

nineteen66 wrote: »
    Thanks Macadam,the whole area will need binding on top of the 804 and also 2 drains and associated work at the back of the house is included in that price.All my neighbors have"tarmac"and the power steering and oil truck doesn't seem to affect it at all ,from what I can see .As I said I just want a really good and long lasting job done,and don't mind paying for it as long as I'm not been overcharged.This guy comes highly recommended and I just saw a job he did half an hour ago and it looks top class,to me anyway.Thanks again for your help,much appreciated.Forgot to mention the front will be machine laid but about 150 square meters at the back will be hand laid.
    Freshly laid tarmac always looks well, checkout some work done over a year or more, your doing ok with that rate for blinding and drainage, if its 50mm compacted and machine laid, as stated before the difference in the compacted depth could save the contractor a nice sum.

macadam wrote: »
    Freshly laid tarmac always looks well, checkout some work done over a year or more, your doing ok with that rate for blinding and drainage, if its 50mm compacted and machine laid, as stated before the difference in the compacted depth could save the contractor a nice sum.
    Sorry,what I meant to say was I saw a job half an hour ago that he actually did over a year ago.

I get you now, thats a fair price for the work involved, where I source my material i am being charged an extra €4 per ton because the stone is classed as high PSV chip (Polished stone value) it give better skid resistance which doesnt really count on driveways but I still have to pay the extra cost.
    Good luck with your new driveway post up a few pictures of the work being done as it will help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Hi

I have been getting a few prices for my driveway with has rolled 804 and then rolled quarry dust on top of this.All kerbing is in place and there is are 2 drains in place, but will need a third one put in.The area is 450 sq metre in total ,I am looking at machine laid (Moran's) but he said it will be 1 and half inch (40mm) when rolled .My question is it better to pay a bit more for 50mm rolled?
    Total cost for 40mm (450 sq metre ) is 5500e
    Thanks Barry

• Advertisement

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi

I have been getting a few prices for my driveway with has rolled 804 and then rolled quarry dust on top of this.All kerbing is in place and there is are 2 drains in place, but will need a third one put in.The area is 450 sq metre in total ,I am looking at machine laid (Moran's) but he said it will be 1 and half inch (40mm) when rolled .My question is it better to pay a bit more for 50mm rolled?
    Total cost for 40mm (450 sq metre ) is 5500e
    Thanks Barry

I buy material from 3 suppliers and if I ask the technical people in the lab the answer is always the same recommended depth is 50mm compacted, ask Morans where he buys his material and ring them and ask the recommended depth for a driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Macadam,

Do you have any preference of product for spraying the ground prior to laying the SMA?

Cheers,
    Windyboy

windyboy wrote: »
    Macadam,

Do you have any preference of product for spraying the ground prior to laying the SMA?

Cheers,
    Windyboy
    I always advise the client/customer to spray and I will treat with Roundup, the best product i ever used was 100% never had a weed was Casron G, but the EU has it banned, I bought a 50ltr box and its almost gone was absolutely brilliant, remember doing a drive and treated it with Cas G after about 4 years they had a problem with an oil tank leak we went back to repair the damaged area even with the smell of kerosene you could still get the vapours of the Casron G, some weeds germinate in the pores of the tarmac/SMA, your best bet is to just keep the weed killer on them at first sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

nineteen66 wrote: »
    Hi Macadam,I have a driveway with kerbs and rolled 804 measuring 475 sq meters.I got a quote from a highly recommended contractor to lay wearing course tarmacadam @ 50 mm depth.I was quoted 7300 plus vat.Saw his previous work and it looks good and stays black compared to other jobs done by different contractors.I live in county Galway and was just wondering was this a good price?I wasnt expecting it to be that expensive but want a really good job done as well.Any advice appreciated.

Hi,
    Just wondering who you got that price from? About 12 months ago I got a few quotes from contractors for an area of approx 600 sq m. Kerbs were done, 804 in place for a few years so well compacted. Prices I got were to include for blinding with dust to bring up to correct levels, approx 3 or 4 soak pits, approx 6 m aco channel, 50 mm rolled DBM (some priced for machine laid and others for hand laid). The lowest was about €8400 for hand laid (inc VAT). I got a couple of prices from main suppliers but these were way OTT. I'm in county galway.

cocoman wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering who you got that price from? About 12 months ago I got a few quotes from contractors for an area of approx 600 sq m. Kerbs were done, 804 in place for a few years so well compacted. Prices I got were to include for blinding with dust to bring up to correct levels, approx 3 or 4 soak pits, approx 6 m aco channel, 50 mm rolled DBM (some priced for machine laid and others for hand laid). The lowest was about €8400 for hand laid (inc VAT). I got a couple of prices from main suppliers but these were way OTT. I'm in county galway.
    I'll PM you details.Still waiting on another quote but as Macadam said I've got a fair price for the work involved and he comes well recommended.

• Advertisement

Guys machine laid is the way to go if suitable, you get an even spread so falls etc are/should be correct, to get a depth of 50mm compacted you will have to lay 65mm, DONT be conned, also I think I'll move west!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hey Macadam,

Whats the crack with putting SMA over concrete. Is it recommended or a good job. A friend is looking into doing it.

Audioslaven

Hey Macadam,

Whats the crack with putting SMA over concrete. Is it recommended or a good job. A friend is looking into doing it.

Audioslaven

Not a problem so long as the concrete is not broken and the joints are well sealed there is also a reinforcing mesh we use its made of wire in tar, also the concrete would need to be tack coated with a good heavy coat and it would need to be dry.

cheers Macadam

Just wanted to post that I got the driveway done by Moran Tarmacadam. Nice job and very even, so well impressed by his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Just wanted to post that I got the driveway done by Moran Tarmacadam. Nice job and very even, so well impressed by his work.

Hi Audioslaven Did you go with 40mm or 50mm rolled SMA in the end?

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi Audioslaven Did you go with 40mm or 50mm rolled SMA in the end?

I went with the 40mm. I know this is against mcadam's advice, but i was chatting to moran and he felt 40mm was enough as i don't really have heavy traffic and it would be enough. My driveway was well settled.

I went with the 40mm. I know this is against mcadam's advice, but i was chatting to moran and he felt 40mm was enough as i don't really have heavy traffic and it would be enough. My driveway was well settled.
    Hi audioslaven, glad to hear your happy with the work, how much a square metre did it work out for you have you any pictures of the finished work.

Hi audioslaven, glad to hear your happy with the work, how much a square metre did it work out for you have you any pictures of the finished work.

Mcadam, I will take some pictures this evening and post them up. In regards sqr meters cost, it was around 18 but I did have a different guy out and there was a difference of 50 sql meters between the two .. go figure!! I think it was somewhere in the middle but at the end of the day it was a cost on the job. Moran was recommended to me from a guy that does paths and foundations so I trusted his opinion and that basically decided it for me on him

Some before and after pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 johnoconnor1

Hi Macadam,

Where are you based can you recommend someone in the North Dublin Area.

Thanks

John

recommendations by PM please

Hi Macadam,

Where are you based can you recommend someone in the North Dublin Area.

Thanks

John

recommendations by PM please
    Im based in Louth, which is North of Co Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi macadam

I was wondering if you can recommend anyone in Westmeath / Longford area (or is it too far for you if you're in Louth) ?

I've approx 600m2 that I want to get done with SMA.

Base that is already down 804 and we have good drainage in the area.

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi macadam

I was wondering if you can recommend anyone in Westmeath / Longford area (or is it too far for you if you're in Louth) ?

I've approx 600m2 that I want to get done with SMA.

Base that is already down 804 and we have good drainage in the area.

I think you may have contacted me by phone a few weeks ago??

I think you may have contacted me by phone a few weeks ago??
    OK, I prob did - just covering all my bases !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how much would the cost per metre be on average for say 1000m v 500m?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how much would the cost per metre be on average for say 1000m v 500m?
    You need to double check your measurements there, that's a runway (a very wide one) not a driveway.;)

As a more general question - what are the pros and cons of tarmac Vs SMA ?
    (I mean in practice - what are the main differences based on peoples experience ? - as opposed to the the marketing literature etc.)

Sma is harder wearing and you really need it due to powersteerings and wider tyres. The companies I deal with all recommend SMA as a minimum for driveways.
    I have 10mm wearing course on my own driveway and its wearing slightly on a slope where mrs mac continues to twist the steering whilst stationery, its not noticable to everyone but I can see it, the driveway is down 12 years, I will be resurfacing it when its down 15 years with 6mm SMA the surface should be good enough for a depth of 30mm finish.
    Be warned some cowboys and some that are not cowboys are laying wearing course AS Sma, you must always ask to see the delivery dockets.
    A job I done this year with sma is perfect and the second stage which I lost out on by a mere €300 was laid with 10mm wearing course (which saved the contractor €600) and the joints are all raveling, and I can guarantee before March there will be holes everywhere along the joints.
    Another factor is the laying temperatures we will not do private work when the ground temp is below 6degs the material goes off far too quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Clairecoco

teepee wrote: »
    Didn't go with it , going to leave it as I have to imagrate due to the lack of work .

Hi Teepee I was just wondering how this all worked out, who you used and would you recommend them thanks Claire

Advertisement