Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This mornings M50 crash being treated as a crime scene

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The volume of traffic on the M50 is now so heavy at rush hours that it cannot operate as a motorway correctly at all. The over taking lane is simply another driving lane that is crammed with cars. There is no possibility of correct motorway driving and some of the exits have such dangerously short exit lanes for the volume of traffic they experience that it is actually dangerous to be in lane 1 or 2 as cars in front of you come to a complete stop and sit indicating trying to get into the exit queue because they thought itd be clever to not join the end of the queue (Sandyford southbound comes to mind).

I use the M50 daily and since the clock changed on the October bank holiday weekend there has been a collision or delay Northbound every single evening when I leave work.

This is a huge problem on the M50 at rush hour. It is particularly bad at the Cork/Waterford exit Southbound in the evenings. Again, there really needs to be some kind of deterrent to this behaviour, as it not only causes major delays, but it also has the potential to cause collisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Irish motorway lanes always strike me as narrow.If there is a minimum limit I'm sure they're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kbannon wrote: »
    I disagree. There was absolutely no political will to improve public services to a point where it became a viable option to the masses. People commute using cars for comfort but also convienence. I commute to Sandyford from Leixlip which in general terms is a short distance but via public transport would be approx 2 hours each way (door to door). There is no impetus to improve public transport and never really has been. We get some token measures but nothing substantial. With fuel prices so low over the last number of months, this has encouraged people to take the car.

This attitude has been there for years and led principally by various FF governments who were cosy with the builders (hence why the motorway network improved whilst progress of the rail network was kept far behind. I'm not saying that FG have been any better but they just haven't held the reigns for quite as long.

Our transport policies revolve around the road network. We need a culture change to change the mindset that every trip should be in the car. This needs to be led by political will. Bring down prices for public transport trips. Make them more frequent (or get larger vehicles where possible) during busy periods. Remove many of the car parks from public buildings - Christ, the Dáil garden was a car park for many years which just shows the contempt for the public transport services. I think the mileage rate should be removed from politicians and be replaced with a bus pass.
    Improving traffic flow would also serve to benefit the commuter who has to use the car. Remove many of the right hand turns during busy periods would be a positive start.

However, this is Ireland where our politicians are more concerned with petty crap than the larger picture.

What bit did you disagree with? I said nothing about public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The volume of traffic on the M50 is now so heavy at rush hours that it cannot operate as a motorway correctly at all. The over taking lane is simply another driving lane that is crammed with cars. There is no possibility of correct motorway driving and some of the exits have such dangerously short exit lanes for the volume of traffic they experience that it is actually dangerous to be in lane 1 or 2 as cars in front of you come to a complete stop and sit indicating trying to get into the exit queue because they thought itd be clever to not join the end of the queue (Sandyford southbound comes to mind).

Those guys do my head in. The amount of near collisions I have seen because of them is crazy. Typically I avoid traveling in the inner lane at rush hour precisely because of this.

There really needs to be a far more visible Garda presence on the M50 during rush hour. In the last year I can count the number of times I have seen a Garda on the M50 on one hand.
    I use the M50 daily and since the clock changed on the October bank holiday weekend there has been a collision or delay Northbound every single evening when I leave work.

The volume coming southbound in the morning and then northbound in the evening is crazy. As I said earlier every day that lane seems to be crawling as standard now and that's before any major incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    My opinion is if you crash on the m50 and it's your fault well then you should be banned for life. The m50 is easy to drive on. Sure their is idiot drivers but if the crash is your fault and you could of prevented it well then you should consider sticking to public transport.

I hope the woman is ok and she makes a fast recovery but if it's her fault I personally don't want to have her on the road. Same goes for them artic truck drivers.

Yeah "them artic drivers" the cheek of them driving delivering the goods that keep the country moving and food in your belly. They should just invent some sort of helicopter artic truck so we wouldn't have to share the roads with them.

Dude, fucking scooters are not going to solve the problem of traffic congestion anywhere in Ireland. A first rate public transport network is.

No need for the language pal. I never said they will solve the problem it's just part of an overall solution that of course includes public transport but we have a problem right here right now and train lines, tunnels, bridges etc.. don't get built overnight especially in Ireland where it takes years of battling through the courts with tree huggers to even get anything solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

And you don't think its worth asking questions and finding this out, so that we can arrange the equipment to be better located in future?

Look mate, I'm not in the slightest bit interested as to why the road was closed for 6 hours, because in my mind it was closed for a good reason. I can't bring myself to think it could have been reopened in 1 hour but they kept it closed for "the craic".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Look mate, I'm not in the slightest bit interested as to why the road was closed for 6 hours, because in my mind it was closed for a good reason. I can't bring myself to think it could have been reopened in 1 hour but they kept it closed for "the craic".

So whats your point? Are you just upset that every post isn't just some variation of "The poor wee dote I hope shes ok!"

It could have been a tyre blow out or anything that could have caused that accident.

The boards.ie investigation unit has already handed out blame and anyone caught responsible for an accident on the M50 should be "banned for life". In their world nobody ever makes a mistake ever, they are perfect.

Superhorse wrote: »
    The boards.ie investigation unit has already handed out blame and anyone caught responsible for an accident on the M50 should be "banned for life". In their world nobody ever makes a mistake ever, they are perfect.

Eh, one or two posters said that and no one agreed with them.

Seriously, the melodrama on this thread and the insisting by some posters that anyone who asks questions about the length of closure is some heartless person who doesn't give a damn about the injured woman, is ridiculous.

It's not a 'compassion competition'. Querying one thing doesn't automatically exclude you from caring about the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

The volume of traffic on the M50 is now so heavy at rush hours that it cannot operate as a motorway correctly at all. The over taking lane is simply another driving lane that is crammed with cars. .

Not really any different from any other busy orbital motorway in any other country really is it. Have you ever driven on the M25? Try that and then you wont complain about the M50 anymore. People don't realise how good they have it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Not really any different from any other busy orbital motorway in any other country really is it. Have you ever driven on the M25? Try that and then you wont complain about the M50 anymore. People don't realise how good they have it here.

So other countries have traffic problems too. So what? It doesn't change the fact that the M50 cannot handle the volume of traffic on it daily. It's irrelevant if the M25 is worse, the thread is about the M50.

So other countries have traffic problems too. So what? It doesn't change the fact that the M50 cannot handle the volume of traffic on it daily. It's irrelevant if the M25 is worse, the thread is about the M50.

Anyone would think the M50 was chock a block 24/7. It's only chockers for an hour or so in the morning and again in the evening. It's rarely at a standstill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Took me all of 20 minutes to get into work this morning, about 7 miles. Stopped for a coffee to ease into the day.

Anyone would think the M50 was chock a block 24/7. It's only chockers for an hour or so in the morning and again in the evening. It's rarely at a standstill.

I've had periods of standstill on it every day since the clocks changed. Actually, I've started exiting 2 exits before my own because it's been a solid car park after exit 13 every evening.

About two hours every morning and every evening. So if you use it twice a day during rush hour, it is a big problem if drivers are causing unnecessary delays and hold ups through selfish and irresponsible driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Between midnight at 1 am it wasn't at a standstill
    Between 1 am and 2 am it wasn't at a standstill
    Between 2 am and 3 am it wasn't at a standstill
    Between 3 am and 4 am it wasn't at a standstill
    Between 4 am and 5 am it wasn't at a standstill
    Between 5 am and 6 am it wasn't at a standstill
    Between 6 am and 7 am it was at a standstill
    Between 7 am and 8 am it was at a standstill
    Between 8 am and 9 am it was at a standstill
    Between 9 am and 10 am it was at a standstill
    Between 10 am and 11 am it wasn't at a standstill

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

kidneyfan wrote: »

etc.

This is quite disturbing. I sincerely hope you don't drive my route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Superhorse wrote: »
    Yeah "them artic drivers" the cheek of them driving delivering the goods that keep the country moving and food in your belly. They should just invent some sort of helicopter artic truck so we wouldn't have to share the roads with them.

By my understanding, the point was that if it turns out that one of the truck drivers was at fault, then that individual should be banned from the M50, not ALL artic truck drivers. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Are you serious? Have you ever seen the congestion that Blanchardstown SC, Liffey Valley, The Square, Dundrum SC causes on non working days?
    I was told by someone that last Sunday afternoon the M50 at Dundrum was at a snail-pace.
    A billion was spent "upgrading" (whatever that means?) the M50, theres always enough funds available to get more cars on to the roads but never enough for public transport.

kidneyfan wrote: »

etc.

So you were not moving one inch for those 4 hours? Is this every morning?

So you were not moving one inch for those 4 hours? Is this every morning?

Every workday morning for a number of hours there are part of it at a standstill or crawl.

Same every evening.

Outside of "ordinary" rush hours it is at a standstill whenever there are concerts on in Marlay park, whenever Dundrum shopping centre does a Rock and Roll night (10km tailback for the Dundrum exit southbound last night), whenever there is an accident (usually more than once daily somewhere on it), when the clocks change and it is darker earlier, when it rains, when traffic volume increases (as it as as the economy has improved over the past year or so), and for a variety of other reasons no doubt.

You may think to dismiss someones frustration with a throwaway comment about how its not chockers ALL the time and how its rarely at a standstill ..... but the truth is, if you use it daily to get to and from work, during rush hour, you see how often it really is at a standstill and it does grind you down over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I believe she has passed away. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just to be clear, is this conclusion which implies fault on behalf of a person currently fighting for her life based on:

a) A solid background in crash investigation, a painstaking collection and analysis of the evidence and consultation with your expert peers, or

b) A photo of a banged up car?

Why shoot the messenger. I am hardly pointing the finger at anyone. For a start I don't know if the injured lady was driving the car or was a passenger. I could have been a side swipe of a lorry cab too. I am not the only person in the thread to suggest what might have happened another poster suggested the car was sandwiched between two trucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The sanctimony surrounding this incident is very boring.

Yes a woman got hurt. Yes I hope she is ok. No that doesn't mean questions shouldn't be asked about why Irelands busiest road was shut down for 6 hours including rush hour and affecting the lives of thousands upon thousands of people.

Some people seem to think that just because somebody got hurt everybody should just shut up except to mutter meaningless platitudes about her well being. But you know what, I don't know that woman, just as I didn't know the hundreds of other Irish people who died yesterday. I'm sorry for them all and I wish they were all ok but my concern is meaningless to them, so I am just going to go ahead and ask about what does concern me, namely our complete inability to quickly deal with one isolated RTA in a city of millions.

I don't know how to do the investigator's job. Do you? Do you know how long it should have taken? The work is likely painstaking. People looking at a job from the outside in likely underestimate how long it takes to do it properly.

That it happened on such a busy road is unfortunate but also irrelevant. If it was a loved one of yours, you'd want to it to be investigated to the highest standard.

Some truly chilling posts in this thread. Mild annoyance is fine and human, but to whine online about it? Have you people got no self-awareness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just heard the woman in the crash has died. R.I.P.

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/59269/0/

May she Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Poor woman - she must have had horrific injuries. I hope she rests in peace.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Are you serious? Have you ever seen the congestion that Blanchardstown SC, Liffey Valley, The Square, Dundrum SC causes on non working days?
    I was told by someone that last Sunday afternoon the M50 at Dundrum was at a snail-pace.
    A billion was spent "upgrading" (whatever that means?) the M50, theres always enough funds available to get more cars on to the roads but never enough for public transport.
    I'm not a regular visitor to Dublin by any means, but there was a ridiculous queue going into Dundrum on Sunday last, backed all the way back onto the M50 mainline, with all the VMS in the area displaying a message about the queue.

Mahon Point in Cork is my local example of a huge shopping centre/traffic magnet being built next to an arterial motorway and the two being linked by a substandard mess of a junction

Pity the major M50 upgrade is outdated already as there is now regular delays on the 2 lane M50/M11 section from J17 to the Bray North Exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

So glad I left Dublin....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

May she RIP, poor soul
    marno21 wrote: »
    I'm not a regular visitor to Dublin by any means, but there was a ridiculous queue going into Dundrum on Sunday last, backed all the way back onto the M50 mainline, with all the VMS in the area displaying a message about the queue.

Mahon Point in Cork is my local example of a huge shopping centre/traffic magnet being built next to an arterial motorway and the two being linked by a substandard mess of a junction

Pity the major M50 upgrade is outdated already as there is now regular delays on the 2 lane M50/M11 section from J17 to the Bray North Exit

I used work near the shopping centre and on the likes of mid term and holidays like xmas we would (as we could) choose to work from home or in another office rather than tolerate the traffic tbh, it's horrific

Advertisement