Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This mornings M50 crash being treated as a crime scene

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

kneemos wrote: »
    Save us the melodrama.

Us? You're on your own fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Moral of the story. Don't use the M50. Use the rat runs and secret network of underground tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Moral of the story. Don't use the M50. Use the rat runs and secret network of underground tunnels.

You're not supposed to talk about the tunnels.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

thoughts and prayers with the injured driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,411 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RHJ wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

they look at the road surface and various other external conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I was in China a few years ago and on a tour we came upon an accident - a guy was lying dead in the middle of the road, just covered with a sheet of plastic. The traffic, including our bus, just drove around the body. Heaven help us if we ever get to consider life cheap like that.

As a woman just said on RTE - we were all able to drive on and get to our destinations yesterday, albeit late. The injured woman couldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Truck drivers that passed by told me that the car was in middle lane and sandwiched by 2 trucks .

Thank god the woman survived

neither of those trucks should have been in the middle lane..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

lawred2 wrote: »
    neither of those trucks should have been in the middle lane..

Trucks are perfectly entitled to be in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Oops69 wrote: »
    This closure today cost the economy millions , yes it's a terrible incident but there is no justification for closing the main lifeline of a city of 1.5 million people for an incident like this , there must be a better way .

So it cost millions, so the feck what. What do you want here a situation like India where they just roll the car into the ditch with the person still in it so people can get on with their day. Honestly people are so self centred it's sickening at times.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Trucks are perfectly entitled to be in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway.

only if overtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

Way i see it is that its a terrible thing to happen to ANYONE. Imagine if that was your family member, you would be fuming if people were annoyed at being late.

BUT you also cant blame the 1.5 million people affected by 1 or 2 or 3 peoples neglience. Accidents happen but when someone manages to crach driving in a straight line on a motorway it irrates people.

Saying my girlfriend almost missed her grad while a woman lays in a hospital bed is a stupid thing to post and be annoyed about, but your girlfriend is still entitled to be annoyed at the situation.

It drives me crazy being caught in a tailback because some idiot stopped paying attention and milled into the car in front, but it could happen to all of us.

There are way to many cars on the road, the M50 is a disaster, we all know this. But have some tact, be p*ssed off that you were late but have some empathy at the same time.

Way i see it is that its a terrible thing to happen to ANYONE. Imagine if that was your family member, you would be fuming if people were annoyed at being late.

BUT you also cant blame the 1.5 million people affected by 1 or 2 or 3 peoples neglience. Accidents happen but when someone manages to crach driving in a straight line on a motorway it irrates people.

Saying my girlfriend almost missed her grad while a woman lays in a hospital bed is a stupid thing to post and be annoyed about, but your girlfriend is still entitled to be annoyed at the situation.

It drives me crazy being caught in a tailback because some idiot stopped paying attention and milled into the car in front, but it could happen to all of us.

There are way to many cars on the road, the M50 is a disaster, we all know this. But have some tact, be p*ssed off that you were late but have some empathy at the same time.

how many?

so the entire population of greater Dublin was using the M50 yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Superhorse wrote: »
    So it cost millions, so the feck what. What do you want here a situation like India where they just roll the car into the ditch with the person still in it so people can get on with their day. Honestly people are so self centred it's sickening at times.

More efficient methods for arteries like the M50 would do.
    It has nothing to do with the injured woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

how many?

so the entire population of greater Dublin was using the M50 yesterday?

So youre arguing with the premise of my post or the specific part where i mis read something earlier?

Im just trying to gauge how much of an assh*le you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

So youre arguing with the premise of my post or the specific part where i mis read something earlier?

Exaggerate much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

only if overtaking

They shouldn't be allowed overtake at all.

Two speed limited trucks passing takes an age and blocks both lanes for negligible benefit.

Charming stuff.

You were making a point on behalf of a cohort of people. However the size of that cohort of people has been enormously exaggerated.

By at least a factor of 20. Garda figures point to 28000 cars having to be discommoded by yesterday's incident.

It's kinda central to the point.

hardCopy wrote: »

Two speed limited trucks passing takes an age and blocks both lanes for negligible benefit.

100%

On two lane motorways they are NOT allowed overtake. Yet it happens all the time. Without any consequence whatsoever.

On three lane motorways; trucks are briefly permitted into second lane for overtaking. But only for overtaking. Doesn't stop them using all three on the M50.

I'd argue that there should be no allowance for trucks outside of lane 1 save for situations where traffic is stationary.

hardCopy wrote: »

We don't know how they got in the middle lane in fairness.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    More efficient methods for arteries like the M50 would do.
    It has nothing to do with the injured woman.

The road is at something like 125% of it's capacity already I can't see it getting better anytime soon in fact with the economy picking up it's going to become a lot worse very soon. Maybe we need some outside the box thinking from our government. Encourage more people to get out on two wheels weather it be motorbikes or bicycle. Maybe a tax incentive of some sort for bikers. Heard recently that Ireland is the only nation in Europe to charge VAT on motorbike safety gear I mean small things like that put people off.

Go to any large or mid sized European city and every second person is on a moped for instance and yes yes I know the weather is better in Italy, France etc.. but with proper gear and parking facilities/showers in workplaces riding a motorbike or bicycle to work will benefit the economy and more importantly society big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The main point here is that the woman lay in a hospital bed. She wasn't on the road, or near the road. The road closure for such a long period of time is the issue, not the fact that someone was injured.

Superhorse wrote: »
    The road is at something like 125% of it's capacity already I can't see it getting better anytime soon in fact with the economy picking up it's going to become a lot worse very soon. Maybe we need some outside the box thinking from our government. Encourage more people to get out on two wheels weather it be motorbikes or bicycle. Maybe a tax incentive of some sort for bikers. Heard recently that Ireland is the only nation in Europe to charge VAT on motorbike safety gear I mean small things like that put people off.

Go to any large or mid sized European city and every second person is on a moped for instance and yes yes I know the weather is better in Italy, France etc.. but with proper gear and parking facilities/showers in workplaces riding a motorbike or bicycle to work will benefit the economy and more importantly society big time.

Users of the M50 are more likely to be commuters... you can't expect people to commute long distances on mopeds.

100% for those living inside the M50... greater moped/scooter usage and the like would be excellent however I'm not sure it would have made much difference yesterday to those on the M50

The M50 was at capacity way back when it was completed however the economic collapse allowed some face saving breathing space for a few years as traffic volumes dropped off.. It was always going to come back to those levels.

Best thing to do now is variable speed limits at peak times. Keep people moving if at a slower pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Surely if somebody dies, or is very seriously injured, they have to consider it a crime until they determine what actually happened and why?

It is for litigation/insurance purposes as well.

100%

On two lane motorways they are NOT allowed overtake. Yet it happens all the time. Without any consequence whatsoever.

On three lane motorways; trucks are briefly permitted into second lane for overtaking. But only for overtaking. Doesn't stop them using all three on the M50.

I'd argue that there should be no allowance for trucks outside of lane 1 save for situations where traffic is stationary.

Truck drivers are always under pressure with regards driving hours because of ludicrous tachograph and CPC rules. If a driver is on the M50 let's say coming up northbound on the Sandyford on ramp and has 20 minutes to make it to the depot in Blanchardstown or else he'll be in violation of the driving hours regulations, do you think he's going to sit in the slow lane for the journey or put the boot down?

Remember if caught the driver is the one fined and possibly might lose his job. and before you say maybe they should pull up and take a rest period, where on the M50 can they do that? As usual rules and regulations where brought in by the RSA because the great and good in Europe clicked their fingers and our guys just went along with it without any proper infrastructure in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

It's unusual that they're treating this as a crime rather than an accident and are asking for witnesses. I wonder why that is?

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/1111/741024-news-in-brief/

To conduct an investigation. Why else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Would it be asking to much for one or two things to happen in relation to this incident;

First could people please stop jumping to the conclusion that one or both of the truck drivers were at fault. We have no idea at this point in time what happened and for all any of us know the woman may have been to blame. Of course I hope she pulls through and of course this is a horrible thing to happen to anyone but this should not blind us to the fact she may be the cause of the accident or indeed that there have some other cause or no cause at all....it may have been simply an accident.

Second I know it caused a lot of hassle for a lot of people but the amount of selfishness and whinging and moaning about this incident is frankly worrying. Yes ok you were late getting to wherever you were going or maybe you didn't get there but really you should consider yourself lucky you weren't the one caught between two trucks.

I'm sure most employers would understand why you were delayed and unless it was absolute emergency I am sure that whatever you were late for or missed, it isn't going to be the end of your life or the world.

This woman may not survive, don't be so selfish and have a bit human decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Truck drivers that passed by told me that the car was in middle lane and sandwiched by 2 trucks .

Thank god the woman survived

I know this is a figure of speech but why do people think like this. Wouldn't it have been better if this God lad had prevented the whole accident?

I would guess that one of the main issues with this accident is that people in Ireland do not know how to drive on motorways.

Driving test does not include them, and drivers are not taught how to enter or exit them correctly and also that you should only use the outer lanes, of which the M50 has 2, for overtaking.

The amount of drivers who just sit on the middle lane on the M50, whilst the left lane is empty is shocking. People think they are slow and fast lanes which is not what they are.

Would it be asking to much for one or two things to happen in relation to this incident;

First could people please stop jumping to the conclusion that one or both of the truck drivers were at fault. We have no idea at this point in time what happened and for all any of us know the woman may have been to blame. Of course I hope she pulls through and of course this is a horrible thing to happen to anyone but this should not blind us to the fact she may be the cause of the accident or indeed that there have some other cause or no cause at all....it may have been simply an accident.

Second I know it caused a lot of hassle for a lot of people but the amount of selfishness and whinging and moaning about this incident is frankly worrying. Yes ok you were late getting to wherever you were going or maybe you didn't get there but really you should consider yourself lucky you weren't the one caught between two trucks.

I'm sure most employers would understand why you were delayed and unless it was absolute emergency I am sure that whatever you were late for or missed, it isn't going to be the end of your life or the world.

This woman may not survive, don't be so selfish and have a bit human decency.

Nobody is being selfish.The injured woman and the slow cleanup of the accident are completely unrelated topics.

• Advertisement

Users of the M50 are more likely to be commuters... you can't expect people to commute long distances on mopeds.

100% for those living inside the M50... greater moped/scooter usage and the like would be excellent however I'm not sure it would have made much difference yesterday to those on the M50

The M50 was at capacity way back when it was completed however the economic collapse allowed some face saving breathing space for a few years as traffic volumes dropped off.. It was always going to come back to those levels.

Best thing to do now is variable speed limits at peak times. Keep people moving if at a slower pace.

250/400cc mopeds are more than capable of getting someone in from Naas/Dundalk etc. without a bother. Yes of course it's not suitable for everyone I understand and except that. I worked with a guy in Sandyford who came in from Drumcondra everyday in his car before he got his A licence and bought a Fazer 600 bike. He worked it out that he was saving over 5hrs a week on his commute. Also road tax on his car was over 800 I believe where it's a flat rate of 88 on a bike.

Also i'll have to disagree with you on if it would have made a big difference yesterday on the M50 because I believe it would have. Surely if the majority of people inside the M50 belt used bikes the city would have had the capacity to deal with the commuters having to avoid the motorway because of the accident?

Advertisement