Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This mornings M50 crash being treated as a crime scene

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That's fairly standard imo for accidents to look for witnesses and to treat as a crime/accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

There may be the possibility that the woman injured may not make it and that charges of death by dangerous driving may follow.

By the nature of RTC's they have to gather all the evidence ASAP as they cant go back later as it will be gone. (washed away etc)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Poor woman.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Surely if somebody dies, or is very seriously injured, they have to consider it a crime until they determine what actually happened and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Surely if somebody dies, or is very seriously injured, they have to consider it a crime until they determine what actually happened and why?

Bit unfair on parties involved to automatically accuse then of a crime just for being involved in an accident?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

It's unusual that they're treating this as a crime rather than an accident and are asking for witnesses. I wonder why that is?

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/1111/741024-news-in-brief/

Guessing I'm missing something, but I can't see anywhere in that link that it says it's being treated as a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Did u see her car, Jesus poor woman, of course they need to know what happened. No big deal imo closing the southbound lane for a few hours for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Guessing I'm missing something, but I can't see anywhere in that link that it says it's being treated as a crime?

There's a video on the page which states it's being treated as a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

There's a video on the page which states it's being treated as a crime.

Ah cool thanks, completely missed that it was a video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Truck drivers that passed by told me that the car was in middle lane and sandwiched by 2 trucks .

Thank god the woman survived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Truck drivers that passed by told me that the car was in middle lane and sandwiched by 2 trucks .

Thank god the woman survived

*shudder*

:eek:

Best wishes to the injured woman.

Don't they always treat accidents such as this as crimes? Well, with regards to similar forensic investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I knew the six hour closure didn't add up

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Don't they always treat accidents such as this as crimes? Well, with regards to similar forensic investigations.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Canterelle wrote: »
    Did u see her car, Jesus poor woman, of course they need to know what happened. No big deal imo closing the southbound lane for a few hours for that.

Closed for seven hours.They need to look at their evidence gathering methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

kneemos wrote: »
    Have you any idea what their evidence-gathering involves?

I haven't either.

But I'd be willing to bet that they weren't out there this morning playing Snap in the hard shoulder while the city ground to a halt.

A woman nearly died, by all accounts, and you'd begrudge them the time to investigate that properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looks like the car cut across the path of the first truck and got t-boned.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭bemak

Hopefully she'll pull through. Must be bad if they've had to take that amount of time to close the road. I only passed over from the N4 but I had imagined it being nearer the 'corkscrew' link road for some reason. Seemed a bit further down. Hopefully they find the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

The shear amount of "me me me" type posts on here and social networking sites today was unreal. Nobody gave a sh it about the poor woman it was all about being late for work by a couple of hours etc..

Some evil feckers out there tbh would make you sick.

I hope to jesus the woman pulls through and makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Superhorse wrote: »
    The shear amount of "me me me" type posts on here and social networking sites today was unreal. Nobody gave a sh it about the poor woman it was all about being late for work by a couple of hours etc..

I hope to jesus the woman pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Everyone hopes she pulls through, but you can't blame people for being pissed off after sitting in their cars for hours on end when there were no details given about the severity of the incident other than there was one injured party and she was taken directly to the hospital. A 7 hour closure on the busiest road in the country is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Superhorse wrote: »

I'd hardly call it evil when people are worried about being late for work. I'd imagine they were hoping she pulled through too, but its quite justifiable to be annoyed by such a long closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'll bet the investigators were well aware of the chaos they were causing and did their work as fast as they possibly could. Hearing the minister on radio suggesting that management of road closures and their impact on traffic flow makes me wonder what on earth he has in mind.

It sounded like an awful accident, and we all hope the woman is going to be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Looks like the car cut across the path of the first truck and got t-boned.

Just to be clear, is this conclusion which implies fault on behalf of a person currently fighting for her life based on:

a) A solid background in crash investigation, a painstaking collection and analysis of the evidence and consultation with your expert peers, or

b) A photo of a banged up car?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,411 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The car always looks worse after the fire brigade have got at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

This closure today cost the economy millions , yes it's a terrible incident but there is no justification for closing the main lifeline of a city of 1.5 million people for an incident like this , there must be a better way .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

libelula wrote: »
    Bit unfair on parties involved to automatically accuse then of a crime just for being involved in an accident?
    They haven't accused anyone of a crime and even if they did, you're innocent until proven guilty.
    kneemos wrote: »
    You're dead right. Feck getting an accurate explanation into why serious incidents occur. Sure just write down that the vehicles collided and close the case.
    While we're at it, let's just quickly close all murder, rape and any other crimes. they cost the state far too much to complete properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

My girlfriend almost missed her graduation today as a result, 3 and a half hour journey from Blanch into town. Hopefully the woman will pull through and make a full recovery.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

EazyD wrote: »
    My girlfriend almost missed her graduation today as a result, 3 and a half hour journey from Blanch into town. Hopefully the woman will pull through and make a full recovery.
    I hope that your gf pulls through and makes a full recovery from her ordeal. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

kbannon wrote: »
    I hope that your gf pulls through and makes a full recovery from her ordeal. :rolleyes:

Thanks smartarse, fortunately she did make it, albeit late. Not all of us had a duvet day like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kbannon wrote: »
    They haven't accused anyone of a crime and even if they did, you're innocent until proven guilty.

You're dead right. Feck getting an accurate explanation into why serious incidents occur. Sure just write down that the vehicles collided and close the case.
    While we're at it, let's just quickly close all murder, rape and any other crimes. they cost the state far too much to complete properly!

Save us the melodrama.

Advertisement