Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

http://www.gruffrhys.com/atheist-xmas-ep-furore/

Perfect A & A stocking filler!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Galvasean wrote: »
    Jeremiah 10:2-4

King James Version (KJV)

2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

And he shall be nailed to the xmas tree and decorated with random stuff.

Just thinking....

Would people be better off if beside any public crib there was a mannequin with a nametag "Chris" standing on a weighing scales with an arrow pointing at the reading?

Then we would be celebrating Chris's mass! :D

(Well it's better than a Festivus pole!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ I think that idea should really involve a bath of water and some displacement. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Moses is Moses, but business is business.;)

It astonished me to discover that Christmas is a big thing in Japan and Singapore, neither of which is particularly Christian. But Christmas has really caught on in those countries.:)

It's all about merchandising. One of the funniest things I've seen was a huge advertising billboard in Orchard Road, Singapore (33 degrees Celsius, humid) advertising Finnair flights to see Santa Claus at the Arctic Circle in Lapland.:p

I have no doubt that people in Ireland will still continue to celebrate Christmas in some shape or form long after the entire nation has wised up and no longer believes all that sky fairy, talking snake bumpf.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This thread has been rather successful in killing off the usual glut of threads. Good games, as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I have no doubt that people in Ireland will still continue to celebrate Christmas in some shape or form long after the entire nation has wised up and no longer believes all that sky fairy, talking snake bumpf.:cool:

I wonder what Christmas will eventually become in about 1000 years time when this "original" Christian meaning is hopefully long forgotten. Perhaps it will be the creation of our robot overlord, humanity forced to pay tribute once a year. Or the birth of the great Google, the messiah who brought technology to the masses. Or maybe just gone completely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

fitz0 wrote: »
    I wonder what Christmas will eventually become in about 1000 years time when this "original" Christian meaning is hopefully long forgotten. Perhaps it will be the creation of our robot overlord, humanity forced to pay tribute once a year.

Like this?

0e85b2f05ed8a78faf932f7fb1a556cd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

^ the strange fantasies of some atheists

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

buzz_killington_191x300_So_troll-s191x300-152037-535.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh don't act like a robo-Santa with a laser tommy-gun wouldn't be totally awesome, you big wet blanket, you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Moses is Moses, but business is business.;)

It astonished me to discover that Christmas is a big thing in Japan and Singapore, neither of which is particularly Christian. But Christmas has really caught on in those countries.:)

It's all about merchandising. One of the funniest things I've seen was a huge advertising billboard in Orchard Road, Singapore (33 degrees Celsius, humid) advertising Finnair flights to see Santa Claus at the Arctic Circle in Lapland.:p

Apparently there's a city in China that's the xmas decoration manufacturing capital of the world. They're having a bumper year this year because the Chinese are going for Xmas in a bigger and bigger way every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

This guy agrees

1766%20-%20alpha_trion_cosplay%20christmas%20optimus_prime%20santa%20santa_claus%20transformers.jpg

Broken colourful shape box man? I love that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

True story, documented visual evidence and all:pac:

Though this was funny (in a 'humans are stupid' way).

http://www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org/forum/topics/christmas-trees-banned-in?xg_source=activity

A Jewish mayor banning Christians from putting up Saturnalia trees. :p

EDIT: Oops - from last year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    A Jewish mayor banning Christians from putting up Saturnalia trees.
    The site had a good ad though:

185308.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MrPudding wrote: »
    Please chip in if I missed anything.
    WHy does the new year start 6 or 7 days after jesus was supposedly born?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Yes, I know. I am such a hypocrite for celebrating a Pagan festival that was merely co-opted by the Christians X amount of centuries ago. I don't even believe in one God, never mind several. Hmmm.. What should I do instead? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Do you decorate a tree; buy gifts for your kids; have a traditional meal at Christmas? If not don't you think it's unfair your kids are missinh out because of your views?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

how original :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

sandmanporto's new thread moved to avoid ranting in duplicate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've had a tree and flashy lights spelling out BAH HUMBUG up in my house since before last Christmas. Good decorations are good regardless of whatever bullcrap they signify.

I use the tree as a hat stand sometimes.

What's an Extreme Atheist, and where do I get one? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

We'd done so well :( Shame on you, sandmanporto. Shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dades wrote: »
    What's an Extreme Atheist, and where do I get one? :)
    i think you have to join the "adopt an atheist" queue

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you adopt an atheist, is it for life or just for christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Do you decorate a tree; buy gifts for your kids; have a traditional meal at Christmas? If not don't you think it's unfair your kids are missinh out because of your views?

dont have a traditional meal because im a vegan. Dont have kids, Do have a dog though and he gets reindeer antlers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Right. Nobody really anwsered and regardless whether you are vegan or haven't got kids I was speaking hypothetically. Im agnostic by the way but I enjoy the holiday. Having one day off a year like xmas is nice and very warm. Why abolish it? What would you replace it with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Right. Nobody really anwsered and regardless whether you are vegan or haven't got kids I was speaking hypothetically. Im agnostic by the way but I enjoy the holiday. Having one day off a year like xmas is nice and very warm. Why abolish it? What would you replace it with?

Agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

What can you say to an atheist at this time of year?
    You can't say Merry Christmas as they don't believe in God.
    You can't say Merry Xmas because they don't go to mass.

What should you say to them?

Advertisement