Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

smurfjed wrote: »
    I know an aircraft captain who jumped out of the aircraft to remind the passenger that he hadn’t given him a tip.

I can't be the only one who had to read this a few times to make sure this was not a mid-air leap out of the plane in a stinge based frenzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

A fella I used work was a nice enough fella but hated spending money.

One time he forgot his lunchbox so he grudgingly wen't to the cafe next door to get a scone. In the meantime, one of the other companies who shared our building came to the canteen to hand us out a few un-eaten cakes & pastries after whatever work event they were having.

When he got back and saw that there was now some free food for him, he was visibly annoyed at having spent €2 unnecessarily, so he went back down to the cafe to return the scone he bought 5 mins earlier and get back his €2.

While he was away returning the scone, a few more people arrived in the canteen and ate the remaining cakes that were left for us.

When he realised what happened, he then had the dilemma that he'd look like an idiot if he went back into the cafe for a third time to buy the scone again. I'm sure he just decided to leave it off and go hungry until lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

A fella I used work was a nice enough fella but hated spending money.

One time he forgot his lunchbox so he grudgingly wen't to the cafe next door to get a scone. In the meantime, one of the other companies who shared our building came to the canteen to hand us out a few un-eaten cakes & pastries after whatever work event they were having.

When he got back and saw that there was now some free food for him, he was visibly annoyed at having spent €2 unnecessarily, so he went back down to the cafe to return the scone he bought 5 mins earlier and get back his €2.

While he was away returning the scone, a few more people arrived in the canteen and ate the remaining cakes that were left for us.

When he realised what happened, he then had the dilemma that he'd look like an idiot if he went back into the cafe for a third time to buy the scone again. I'm sure he just decided to leave it off and go hungry until lunchtime.

Pretty bad of the shop to take back a fresh food uncovered item.
    But they were probably too embarrassed for him to argue.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Pretty bad of the shop to take back a fresh food uncovered item.
    But they were probably too embarrassed for him to argue.

I guess they knew him from working next door. That and it was still in it's packaging and was only sold a few mins earlier. But yeah I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm only in my 40s.
    I remember getting 4 chocolate toffee logs for a penny- or a pack of Tayto for 6p when I was little. Comics were out of my reach- they cost 12-15p each.
    You know it wasn't so long ago!
    When my sister started smoking she could buy a packet of ten plus a box of matches for a pound. I know this because she used to send me to the shop to get them for her. I was about 8 or 9 but it was grand because I just told the lady in the shop they were for my mother and no further questions were asked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    When my sister started smoking she could buy a packet of ten plus a box of matches for a pound. I know this because she used to send me to the shop to get them for her. I was about 8 or 9 but it was grand because I just told the lady in the shop they were for my mother and no further questions were asked :pac:

The cheapest I remember cigarettes to be was 2.50 for 10 or 5pound for 20.
    And you could smoke to your hearts content in am underage disco after buying them there :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

And you could smoke to your hearts content in am underage disco after buying them there :D

In local secondary school town there was a shop that would sell individual cigs. Don't know the price as I didn't smoke at the time, but the same shop was selling single cigs to kids 40+ years previously. There was a markup versus a 10 or 20 pack but back then, kids didn't have anywhere as much money.

Not really stinge, more a case of exploitation. Mind you, gangs of kids would come into the shop and rob them blind......sweets, crisps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

A ten box was £2 when the euro came in because they were then €2.54. I remember it clearly because it used to be easy for a few of us to chip in 50p each for a box at lunchtime and smoke our 2.5 fags each before going back to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

FanadMan wrote: »
    In local secondary school town there was a shop that would sell individual cigs. Don't know the price as I didn't smoke at the time, but the same shop was selling single cigs to kids 40+ years previously. There was a markup versus a 10 or 20 pack but back then, kids didn't have anywhere as much money.

Not really stinge, more a case of exploitation. Mind you, gangs of kids would come into the shop and rob them blind......sweets, crisps etc.

cigarettes were 10p each in the local shop when i was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

can we stop with the how much cigarettes were when I was a kid, this could go on for pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

pgj2015 wrote: »
    can we stop with the how much cigarettes were when I was a kid, this could go on for pages.

Now, my story begins in 19-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles.

Anyway, I remember when they were very cheap and this was all fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Not personal experience but I watched a show called "Extreme Cheapskates" last night & I'm still not the better for it.

Highlights include a woman who fed her children cat food sandwiches every day (cat food is similar to tinned tuna apparently, for 30c cheaper), and a man who puts his clothes in the freezer for a few hours rather than washing them, because its cheaper than running a washing machine.

There was also a couple who shared a toothbrush, tooth floss and had joint showers to save money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not personal experience but I watched a show called "Extreme Cheapskates" last night & I'm still not the better for it.

Highlights include a woman who fed her children cat food sandwiches every day (cat food is similar to tinned tuna apparently, for 30c cheaper), and a man who puts his clothes in the freezer for a few hours rather than washing them, because its cheaper than running a washing machine.

There was also a couple who shared a toothbrush, tooth floss and had joint showers to save money :(

I'm not the better for reading that!!!

Cat food sandwiches, jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was gagging until i got to the bit about joint showers. I see no reason why anybody would object to that*. the cost saving is just a bonus.

*They can get the bit in the middle of your back that is impossible to reach otherwise. what did you think i meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Whatever about sharing a toothbrush and having joint showers, but did one use the same dental floss after the other was finished with it? If so, that's nasty!

I'm not the better for reading that!!!

Cat food sandwiches, jesus!

I actually just found a link of the "best bits" of the series, both cat food lady & the gross couple are featured. She also feeds the sandwiches to her husband, but didnt tell him it was cat food :(
    Watch at your own peril :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's bad enough what they put into human food. God only knows what goes into animal food.

Why is he putting unopened tinned food in the fridge...

Whatever about sharing a toothbrush and having joint showers, but did one use the same dental floss after the other was finished with it? If so, that's nasty!

Yeah they did, they also shared (used) cotton buds and reused mouthwash. So gross :eek:

Sharing floss is counter productive- it is just putting more bacteria and food bits in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah they did, they also shared (used) cotton buds and reused mouthwash. So gross :eek:

Stop!!! Please stop!

:)

Oh there's absolutely no way I'm watching that video :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Saving 15c by using mouthwash twice. What is wrong with people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why did I watch that video?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Saving 15c by using mouthwash twice. What is wrong with people

Christ...I didn't even get to that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Americans? It's gotta be!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Had to turn it off when they were sharing tooth floss, my stomach started doing flip flops :o

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I can't help but think people who are that cheap must have some sort of untreated mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I can't see how sharing a toothbrush would even save money. Surely it wears out twice as fast, so you'd need to replace it twice as often than if only one person was using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the thing about freezing your clothes, it's apparently recommended for high-end jeans as washing them damages the fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

loyatemu wrote: »
    the thing about freezing your clothes, it's apparently recommended for high-end jeans as washing them damages the fabric.

But how does it get them clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    But how does it get them clean?

Kills the bacteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So every year between Christmas and New Years I do a bit of a road trip and visit a few cousins, aunts, uncles etc, on one day. This involves an early start and a late return to Dublin as I visit 3 houses in 3 different counties on the one day, sometimes vising people I haven't seen for 12 months.

There's a few kids of cousins and 2nd cousins in each house or living close to each one, some of them I don't know their ages/names etc. so to keep it simple they all get a selection box - 14 in total. Each house gets a 1L bottle of Powers for the adults. Thing with the selection box is that I don't buy them until the 26th or 27th of December as they are usually half price or just going for €1.

A work colleague called me stingy, I call it thrift.

Advertisement