Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

Right, what is everyone's fav 0.0 Beer? Have had to give up alcohol for medical reasons grr..

So far, I like Carlsberg 00 the best.. followed by Peroni 00, then Heineken bottles 00.. really dislike Heineken 00 cans..
    Erdinger is ok but quite sweet - its 0.5% I think..

Have yet to taste Becks 00 and Krombacher 00 - anyone had them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Peroni hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

sporina wrote: »
    Right, what is everyone's fav 0.0 Beer? Have had to give up alcohol for medical reasons grr..

So far, I like Carlsberg 00 the best.. followed by Peroni 00, then Heineken bottles 00.. really dislike Heineken 00 cans..

Becks 0? .... every bar in the country had becks and that was your only option until about 10 years ago .... it tastes like absolute piss.... like the bastard child of Budweiser and Fosters....

Peroni, it’s absolutely spot on, so refreshing, many a bbq this summer with Peroni 0!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Is there a nastro azzurro alcohol free lager on the market. This is also made by peroni

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the States I thought O'Douls was the best available fwiw.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Wicklow Wolf moonlight is the best I’ve found, but I think I’d rather have a Pepsi if I wasn’t drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Becks 0? .... every bar in the country had becks and that was your only option until about 10 years ago .... it tastes like absolute piss.... like the bastard child of Budweiser and Fosters....

Peroni, it’s absolutely spot on, so refreshing, many a bbq this summer with Peroni 0!

Becks is significantly cheaper than Carlsberg, Peroni and Heineken - like 6 bottles of Becks for around 5e but only 4 of the others from around6/7e... why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apostel is 65cent for a 50cl can in Dunnes.

It's a German weissbier and very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

brewdog AF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

elperello wrote: »
    Apostel is 65cent for a 50cl can in Dunnes.

It's a German weissbier and very tasty.
    brewdog AF

Both these are lovely. I think the Brew Dog stuff is among the best, though I slightly prefer Brew Dog's Nanny State. Lidl has a nice Weiss and a Pale Ale style AF.

Aldi is carrying one called, I think, Early Start by Open Road Brewery (?). That's about the nicest to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

+1 for brewdog nanny state. Guinness also do a really nice lager too (think it’s .5%) in a blue can but can’t remember what it’s called. I have a load of them in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Becks is significantly cheaper than Carlsberg, Peroni and Heineken - like 6 bottles of Becks for around 5e but only 4 of the others from around6/7e... why is this?

If you drink the likes of Heineken zero, I find the Lidl Pils non alcoholic grand and cheaper. Similar labelling would suggest it's aimed at this market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

wow thanks for all the replies.. didn't realise that there wer so many out there..

will have to go shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Anyone tried Foxes Rock alcohol free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Guinness open gate 0.5% is very drinkable for a near Na beer. Decent hop taste and generally available at €6 for 6 cans.

Nanny state Brewdog also decent, but more expensive.

Becks 0 is quite different to the old becks non alcoholic which was a small step above kaliber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

One great thing about Heineken Zero is the amount of money they've put into it. Large supermarkets ( my local Tesco & SuperValu at least) have their 'Zero zone' fridges, and put all their non alcoholic drinks together so you see a bigger range. You've a lot more options than when I had to give it up for a few months 15 years ago.

I bought a Paulaner hefe weissbier non-alcoholic to try last weekend, and got a few more with this week's shopping. Very nice if you like the style. It's <0.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A cold Blue Erdinger for the win.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like Punk AF, Mikkeller Drink'in the Sun and To Øl Implosion. I tried Peroni once and really really disliked it. Lervig No Worries was my favourite but a couple of cans (bought at different times from different off licences) tasted strongly of chemicals so I gave up on it. Beavertown is launching an alcohol-free beer so hopefully that will make its way over here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Lomza 0% is lovely

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You'll find most non-alcoholic beers actually contain a small amount of alcohol. They're legally permitted to be branded as non-alcoholic as long as the alcohol content is 0.5% or lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Both these are lovely. I think the Brew Dog stuff is among the best, though I slightly prefer Brew Dog's Nanny State. Lidl has a nice Weiss and a Pale Ale style AF.

Aldi is carrying one called, I think, Early Start by Open Road Brewery (?). That's about the nicest to me.

I get Early Start regularly, it has a nice little hop kick. On the same shelf they usually have Baltika zero alcohol lager which is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wicklow wolf moonlight hands down. Have tried a good few and it's the best I've had shoulders above others including BDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Have been off it for the last 6 or so weeks in solidarity with herself who is 8 months pregnant so we've both been having a bit of an experiment. Her favourite by a distance is Nanny State. I had a few bottles of Low Tide last week which have bumped that to the top of my list.

I must say that I'm very impressed with the selection of alco free stuff available these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Brewdog Hazy AF is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I don't like any 0.0 beer and I've tried a few San Miguel, Buckler, Heineken, Mahou, a few German ones to name but a few.
    They all taste exactly the same to me and don't order them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I don't like any 0.0 beer and I've tried a few San Miguel, Buckler, Heineken, Mahou, a few German ones to name but a few.
    They all taste exactly the same to me and don't order them anymore.

I'm sure the op will make great use of this information.
    I'd recommend Baltika 0,too.

The franziskaner one is decent, lomza is not too bad either. Mikkellers drinkin the sun is really good too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think my top two, hands down, are Brewdog AF and Lervig No Worries alcohol free.

The Lervig comes in a grapefruit pale ale version and a non flavoured IPA. Both alcohol free (well, I think it's 0.5%...).

To be honest if I could only have one it would be the Brewdog AF, I think that was a gamechanger in terms of body, taste etc.

There is a slightly acrid aftertaste to many alcohol free beers that you still got with Nanny State (Itself not bad in its day) but not with AF.

Shout-out also to all the 2.5% table beer efforts out there... Whiplash Northern Lights Micro IPA being top of the league for me. After a few pints of Rollover in P. Macs I used to like nothing better than switching over to the Micro IPA for a few more, and feeling all the better for it the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One great thing about Heineken Zero is the amount of money they've put into it.
    I see this as a bad thing, I would rather see no fridges and less advertising and pass the savings on as a price reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The Aldi Sainte Etienne is really nice.

Advertisement