Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Buy it on Meteor for €469 and pay to unlock and cheaper again

How much to unlock if you pay 469 upfront?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Griffinx wrote: »
    How much to unlock if you pay 469 upfront?
    No listings yet for unlock of the 950 on ebay.co.uk you could try messaging some of the sellers of unlock codes to other lumia models to see if they will offer it.

Could be anywhere between £4 and £25.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Crocked wrote: »
    That's nuts. Why would you not spend the extra 20 and buy sim free direct from Microsoft?

I'd say we'll see more of this as manufacturers look for ways to bypass the carriers hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I'd say we'll see more of this as manufacturers look for ways to bypass the carriers hold.
    Depends though on deals struck with operators,its a problem for everyone take the CDMA networks in the US for example.
    If you have a sim free model they will not let you in,some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Depends though on deals struck with operators,its a problem for everyone take the CDMA networks in the US for example.
    If you have a sim free model they will not let you in,some of them.

Never knew that. But with apps like Skype and whatsap, I don't think it will be long before the tables have turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

Will there be a bundle with free wireless charger etc like last year for the 940?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

€469.99 on Meteor Prepay. That's good.

There was a thread on bargain alerts maybe for the 930 which said that any 930's sold at Carphone Warehouse would be sim free as they are "uk stock". Would this still be the case for a 950 meteor prepay bought for 469.99?

I got my 930 there along with a nice free bundle ( portable charger and nfc speaker) for a decent price. It was a meteor pre pay phone but it took my 3 sim straight away.
    Might be worth investigating??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Wonder if I can convince work that I need a new phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Wonder if I can convince work that I need a new phone...

Ditto - I'm trying to convince work that my 1020 is now obsolete. If I wasn't self-employed I'd have some chance...

cunstunt wrote: »
    There was a thread on bargain alerts maybe for the 930 which said that any 930's sold at Carphone Warehouse would be sim free as they are "uk stock". Would this still be the case for a 950 meteor prepay bought for 469.99?

I got my 930 there along with a nice free bundle ( portable charger and nfc speaker) for a decent price. It was a meteor pre pay phone but it took my 3 sim straight away.
    Might be worth investigating??

CPW first batch always sim free really,they seem though to be stocking mostly sim free to cross sell on networks rather than having a pile for each network which would be a stock nuisance.

• Advertisement

Will there be a bundle with free wireless charger etc like last year for the 940?

Not this time round by the looks of it..

Not this time round by the looks of it..

just can't really see the benefits. I've had a 920 for three years and windows 8.1 and nothing but pain. I've installed windows 10 now build 10586 on developer preview and the software is still rubbish. you move between pages and it says resuming, sometimes theres freezing and this will be the case when it goes live , trust me. So I pay 700 for a 950 xl or 869 for an iPhone 6s plus. iPhone is solid and has great software and all the apps.

You can bang on about the hardware all you like but when you can't even order a hailo or it freezes when you open email attachments whats the excuse?

hmmmm if no bundle it might be back to the iphone. fed up with this rubbish OS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

just can't really see the benefits. I've had a 920 for three years and windows 8.1 and nothing but pain. I've installed windows 10 now build 10586 on developer preview and the software is still rubbish. you move between pages and it says resuming, sometimes theres freezing and this will be the case when it goes live , trust me. So I pay 700 for a 950 xl or 869 for an iPhone 6s plus. iPhone is solid and has great software and all the apps.

You can bang on about the hardware all you like but when you can't even order a hailo or it freezes when you open email attachments whats the excuse?

You should just get an iPhone as you obviously aren't enjoying WP. Personally it's still my favourite OS, iOS is still static and dull to me, and anytime I've to use my work iPhone 6, I'm very glad to get back to WP. Not for everyone though!

edit: also not sure why a bundle would convince you otherwise.

Though, having said that, you'd be absolutely mental to buy at 16Gb iPhone, so you're really looking at the 6s Plus for 979

WP is not going well I admit but for €469 with Meteor it's a steal. ios I detest, boring, locked down and static.
    Live tiles on WP is great, but the lack of apps is a huge issue which is why I use Android alongside Windows Phone..

They need to get the Windows Bridges to a really great state in the next 6 months or so, and then use those to keep things ticking over until the mobile web really kicks off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 silvelu88

Vodafone confirms will stock both devices surprisingly (can't post links, check their forum). I thought only Microsoft will have the XL.

silvelu88 wrote: »
    Vodafone confirms will stock both devices surprisingly (can't post links, check their forum). I thought only Microsoft will have the XL.

http://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Nokia/Lumia-950-950XL-availability/m-p/187576#M5970

I would take with a pinch of salt for now half the time there is no connection between one dept and another and the XL maybe an order online only device..

http://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Nokia/Lumia-950-950XL-availability/m-p/187576#M5970

I would take with a pinch of salt for now half the time there is no connection between one dept and another and the XL maybe an order online only device..

I have asked on twitter they said yes too,so perhaps its good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No actually. I won't trust you because you're talking about software that hasn't even been released yet. You're working with a Technical Preview, not the finished product. I see it all the time on Windows Central, people throwing their toys out of the pram and pissing and moaning because they're experiencing issues on WP10 Technical Preview.

And this 'resuming' delay on a two year old 920 would push you towards forking out €869 on a phone because you haven't got any app to order a cab? We'll ignore the Cortana integration with Uber then, which still leaves you with a dial pad. That's what I usually use anyway on my Lumia 625.

I will admit that 8.1 was laggy, but WP10 has so far been quite surprising in terms of speed, and last week I bought the Lumia 535 for €80 in Vodafone, put WP10 Technical Preview on it, and there's no lag, at, all.

As for the apps availability, horses for courses really, but I buy my phones for the hardware, and when I'm buying the 950XL, I don't care that I won't get a store with 100 fart apps, in fact the fewer apps I need to download, the better, so the "lack" of apps in the store doesn't bother me in the slightest. It seems like a crazy notion to me to fork out nearly €900 on a device, and then have to download more paid apps to make it do what I need it to do.

• Advertisement

I have asked on twitter they said yes too,so perhaps its good news.

I personally wanted the 950 anyway because it's slightly smaller (it's not the best thing to carry the 1520 in a pocket of your pants). Hopefully it will be available long before Christmas.
    No actually. I won't trust you because you're talking about software that hasn't even been released yet. You're working with a Technical Preview, not the finished product. I see it all the time on Windows Central, people throwing their toys out of the pram and pissing and moaning because they're experiencing issues on WP10 Technical Preview.

And this 'resuming' delay on a two year old 920 would push you towards forking out €869 on a phone because you haven't got any app to order a cab? We'll ignore the Cortana integration with Uber then, which still leaves you with a dial pad. That's what I usually use anyway on my Lumia 625.

I will admit that 8.1 was laggy, but WP10 has so far been quite surprising in terms of speed, and last week I bought the Lumia 535 for €80 in Vodafone, put WP10 Technical Preview on it, and there's no lag, at, all.

As for the apps availability, horses for courses really, but I buy my phones for the hardware, and when I'm buying the 950XL, I don't care that I won't get a store with 100 fart apps, in fact the fewer apps I need to download, the better, so the "lack" of apps in the store doesn't bother me in the slightest. It seems like a crazy notion to me to fork out nearly €900 on a device, and then have to download more paid apps to make it do what I need it to do.

He also mentions the 10586 build, which is not even available for insiders yet. Curious where he got the 'lags' from...

950XL down to £479 on Amazon UK which now makes that a cheaper price than MS' Irish store

http://m.windowscentral.com/amazon-uk-has-cut-pre-order-prices-lumia-950-and-950-xl

MS store always expensive, idiots.

silvelu88 wrote: »
    I personally wanted the 950 anyway because it's slightly smaller (it's not the best thing to carry the 1520 in a pocket of your pants). Hopefully it will be available long before Christmas.

He also mentions the 10586 build, which is not even available for insiders yet. Curious where he got the 'lags' from...

10586 is on fast ring chief

8.1 has been laggy. Latest build of Windows 10 is still laggy and supposedly its the one they will release. Emails crash, attachments take an age to download. What about payment apps, android pay, apple pay. they are light years ahead. nobody is developing for windows phone as its a waste of time. I hope this will change. I think the display dock might win me over and hardware is good.

Is it too much to ask that I can get apps like hailo, starbucks? Then pay with my watch or similar? I'm just talking about necessary free apps . the edge browser is better as sites actually work now instead of IE on 8.1

8.1 has been laggy. Latest build of Windows 10 is still laggy and supposedly its the one they will release. Emails crash, attachments take an age to download.

I haven't been experiencing this at all with the latest build (which is 10581, NOT 10586), I suspect it might be something to do with your setup. I tend to suggest that a hard reset is a good idea before installing preview builds.
    What about payment apps, android pay, apple pay. they are light years ahead.

Windows 10 includes Host Card Emulation via NFC, I'd expect a Windows phone NFC payment option very soon.
    Is it too much to ask that I can get apps like hailo, starbucks? Then pay with my watch or similar?

Hailo, I dunno, maybe they'll take advantage of Project Astoria or Islandwood, in the meantime I'm just using Uber. As for Starbucks, you can pay for it via an MS Band.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Guys can we leave this thread for just 950/950XL updates rather than mixing the OS issues into it, cheers

This thread would be more suited: Windows 10 for Phones

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just read that the release date is November 20th

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I just read that the release date is November 20th

Isn't that the release date at AT&T in US? MS Store Ireland website says the devices will ship by 27 November.

• Advertisement

There is various dates for different regions.

Advertisement