Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

circadian wrote: »
    I'd say so, they're all QI chargers.

+1

Will work fine

I still have the original Nokia charger that I got free from Nokia (when I registered my 820 online with them) and it works flawlessly with my 4th Windows phone now (930), even through a thick cover

I also have a cheap Chinese wireless charger and it won't work well at all through the cover though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-950-xl-camera-closer-look

Same camera tech in both the 950 and 950xl.

The comparison photos of yer wan taken with the 950 and the S6 are pretty revealing (if they're not doctored of course).

RGB flash and Rich Capture look like the kind of features you would actually use all the time on a phone camera, especially with the Living Pictures. The ability to tweak the camera flash "strength" after the fact is pretty nice too. I'd say those JPEGs are huge though so you'll want to have plenty of Onedrive storage.

Apparently the only negative thing others have noticed is a not-very-fast autofocus.

Looking forward to reading some reviews of this phone. All I'm really unsure about is the "Hello" iris reading thing as it looks a bit slow from some of the demos floating around right now. A fingerprint reader might have been a better way to unlock your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

All I'm really unsure about is the "Hello" iris reading thing as it looks a bit slow from some of the demos floating around right now. A fingerprint reader might have been a better way to unlock your phone?

That's still very much in beta, so hopefully this will improve with time.

Looks to me that it takes about 1.5 seconds to unlock right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone seen a nice, plain, polycarbonate cyan cover for the XL yet? I really want this phone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Was pricing mentioned in the thread?

UK:
    950 (499 GBP) - Official store link
    950 XL (549 GBP) - Official store link

US:
    950 (??? USD)
    950 XL (649 USD) - Official store link

IE:
    950 (? - 599 EUR)
    950 XL (? - 699 EUR)

Edit: Added link(s) for official pricing.

I think the MS store had the US and UK pricing, hadn't/haven't seen any official IE pricing yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

Amazon.de have the 950, 950 XL along with Dual Sim option up for pre-order.

Pricing for 950 is €599 and for 950 XL is €699.

I want one :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭MickH503

Beagslife wrote: »
    Amazon.de have the 950, 950 XL along with Dual Sim option up for pre-order.

Pricing for 950 is €599 and for 950 XL is €699.

I want one :cool:

Pre-Order Action: Free 32GB Memory Card + Charging Pillow
    Until 11.15.2015 all pre-orders will receive the new Microsoft Lumia 950 a memory card and a charging pad for smartphone free to do so

I want one too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And no sign of a continuum dock bundle.

MickH503 wrote: »
    Pre-Order Action: Free 32GB Memory Card

Wow, a free €8 micro SD card. This is a bargain! :p

So where do people recommend ordering the 950 or 950xl from when it becomes available?

I got my 920 from clove.co.uk back in the day but the sterling rate rules that out now. Expansys is crazy expensive (probably also because of sterling). I've ordered a few things from amazon.fr in the last year with success so I'm leaning towards them.

I might be pleasantly surprised to find that three will carry the 950, any word from them on Microsoft's new lineup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I wonder would http://www.eglobalcentral.eu carry it?

I got my 640 XL there and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than other sites. There is a thread on here with great feedback if you do a search. (I think its in the photography forum)

I might be pleasantly surprised to find that three will carry the 950, any word from them on Microsoft's new lineup?

I have a begging thread going here for Three to carry them: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057504663

Kamili wrote: »
    I wonder would http://www.eglobalcentral.eu carry it?

I got my 640 XL there and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than other sites. There is a thread on here with great feedback if you do a search. (I think its in the photography forum)

Suspiciously cheaper alright, I wonder what the angle / source is? Where do they get their stock? eg. Xperia Z5 is being listed 690 - 700 euro on a number of EU sites, here its only 612 with free delivery

EDIT quick search on board shows that most stock is coming from Hong Kong, so you are likely to get caught for vat. I think I'd rather order from within EU. Thanks though for the suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Suspiciously cheaper alright, I wonder what the angle / source is? Where do they get their stock? eg. Xperia Z5 is being listed 690 - 700 euro on a number of EU sites, here its only 612 with free delivery

EDIT quick search on board shows that most stock is coming from Hong Kong, so you are likely to get caught for vat. I think I'd rather order from within EU. Thanks though for the suggestion

I didn't get caught and most on the other thread I mentioned didn't. I know a few people who bought from it and didn't either. Item shipped through the UK, with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Was pricing mentioned in the thread?

UK:
    950 (499 GBP) - Official store link
    950 XL (549 GBP) - Official store link

US:
    950 (??? USD)
    950 XL (649 USD) - Official store link

IE:
    950 (? - 599 EUR)
    950 XL (? - 699 EUR)

Edit: Added link(s) for official pricing.
    Microsoft Store is now listing the 950 as £449 (£50 cheaper than originally) (link)

The 950 XL is now £529.99 (£20 cheaper)(link)

Still no details on the Irish Microsoft Store, or Amazon.co.uk.

Amazon FR, DE have the 950XL listed as 699 EUR and DE has the 950 listed at 599. FR doesn't appear to have the 950 listed yet.

Nothing on Amazon ES yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

When I was buying my 640 XL FR was cheapest for the dual sim and IT was cheapest for the single sim version. Don't know if the same pattern will follow for the 950.

With the 640 comparing prices was complicated by the fact that there were both 3G and 4G versions available but I don't expect that to be an issue with the 950 but it is worthwhile to look closely at the specs when buying abroad to be sure you know what you are getting.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i inquired in an eir store in limerick today - sales guy said that it was unlikely they would stock either phone. 640 didn't sell well he said, 53* did, but only when there was an offer price. when price went up again, sales fell completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

All 4 networks have confirmed stocking, was is an official store or franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ablelocks

jimmynokia wrote: »
    All 4 networks have confirmed stocking, was is an official store or franchise.

official store i reckon (i didn't know there were franchise stores?)

It was in the crescent shopping centre. just repeating what the guy told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭MickH503

Microsoft Store is now listing the 950 as £449 (£50 cheaper than originally) (link)

The 950 XL is now £529.99 (£20 cheaper)(link)

Still no details on the Irish Microsoft Store, or Amazon.co.uk.
    The French, German & Spanish official MS stores have them listed at €599 & €699 for 950 & 950XL, so looks like that is the official price at least.
    I tweeted @LumiaIE and just got an unhelpful "Stay tuned for more info" reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I have no idea about this store, but this is a german HUKD which I use a lot, and its linking a deal for the 950 series today

http://www.mydealz.de/deals/vorbestellung-fnac-pt-microsoft-lumia-950-514-71-bzw-950-xl-614-71-auch-dual-sim-620810

MickH503 wrote: »
    The French, German & Spanish official MS stores have them listed at €599 & €699 for 950 & 950XL, so looks like that is the official price at least.
    I tweeted @LumiaIE and just got an unhelpful "Stay tuned for more info" reply.

Typical from Lumia Social media,clueless..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Typical from Lumia Social media,clueless..

In fairness, Microsoft are clueless when it comes to selling almost all their hardware products.

CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness, Microsoft are clueless when it comes to selling almost all their hardware products.

Agreed,they tell you nothing... PR co should be fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Got an email from my UK based IT supplier.
    Can't say too much until 27th.

366224.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So you think local carriers will have this? I am uoforuograde since last October. Was waiting for these bad boys to come out.

Whenwould they show up, if theuy will?

Carriers won't be selling the XL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is everyone here still very bullish on Windows Mobile? I see Lumia sales collapsed in the last quarter and Mint have just pulled their official Windows Phone app.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-sells-only-58m-lumias-now-what

The former is not surprising at all given that they haven't launched any decent handsets in ages. I'm not bullish on it becoming as popular a mobile OS as iOS or Android (although in some European countries, it is more popular than iOS), but I am bullish on Microsoft continuing to develop the OS as long as it continues making *some* profit for them. This is a good summary of what Microsoft's plan might be at the minute:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9453471/microsoft-lumia-windows-10-phone-expectations

Regarding the app situation, I have two trains of thought on this that I've said before here:

1. Native apps will become unimportant in the long term, say 2-3 years from now, because web app technology is finally catching up, and Google are behind it in a big way. If that happens, the app gap will not matter.
    2. They need to hurry up and get Project Islandwood and Astoria out the door, two more technologies that might make the app gap irrelevant.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The former is not surprising at all given that they haven't launched any decent handsets in ages. I'm not bullish on it becoming as popular a mobile OS as iOS or Android (although in some European countries, it is more popular than iOS), but I am bullish on Microsoft continuing to develop the OS as long as it continues making *some* profit for them. This is a good summary of what Microsoft's plan might be at the minute:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9453471/microsoft-lumia-windows-10-phone-expectations

Regarding the app situation, I have two trains of thought on this that I've said before here:

1. Native apps will become unimportant in the long term, say 2-3 years from now, because web app technology is finally catching up, and Google are behind it in a big way. If that happens, the app gap will not matter.
    2. They need to hurry up and get Project Islandwood and Astoria out the door, two more technologies that might make the app gap irrelevant.

Good read.
    Actually harrowing in some parts as it reminded me of some of the WP disasters that everyone would rather forget.
    Was planning on getting the Acer Jade myself...especially after it's rent price announcement.

Any confirmed release dates other November? Hoping to pick up an XL in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Carriers won't be selling the XL.

:mad:

Sim free it is so.

:mad:

Sim free it is so.

Better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

950 and 950XL price reduced by £50 in UK

950 now £450 on MS UK Store

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Griffinx wrote: »
    950 and 950XL price reduced by £50 in UK

950 now £450 on MS UK Store

Apparently this happened ages ago, was even posted in this thread a couple of weeks back. Seems a few websites didn't notice the change until now.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Apparently this happened ages ago, was even posted in this thread a couple of weeks back. Seems a few websites didn't notice the change until now.

They could go another 50 tbh...

• Advertisement

More expensive than it looks with sterling pushing €1.40

950 and 950XL for £450 and £530, that's €625 and €735 these days. Cheaper in Germany at €599 and €699

Not shipping until 3rd Dec? Ugh. Seriously MS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Gone like hot cakes :(

€40 cheaper than expansys too.

Bummer (for the moment).

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Gone like hot cakes :(

€40 cheaper than expansys too.

Bummer (for the moment).

Yep,expansys are rip off merchants

Not shipping until 3rd Dec? Ugh. Seriously MS?

Another MS fail some countries ship today,they really need to drop this LOTTO act they have carried forward from Nokia..

• Advertisement

Another MS fail some countries ship today,they really need to drop this LOTTO act they have carried forward from Nokia..

Today?

Available for pre order on amazon UK. Delivery Dec 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

I just placed a pre-order on the UK site for the 950 XL I am really looking to receiving it. If the Irish MS store offers the phone for €699.00 I will probably cancel the UK order. The site indicates that the phone will be shipped on the 3rd of December.

German Lumia 950 XL buyers can get a free Display Dock until January 31:

http://www.windowscentral.com/german-lumia-950-xl-buyers-can-get-free-display-dock-until-january-31?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Microsoft Ireland is a joke, not even a mention of the new phones on their site yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

MJohnston wrote: »
    German Lumia 950 XL buyers can get a free Display Dock until January 31:

http://www.windowscentral.com/german-lumia-950-xl-buyers-can-get-free-display-dock-until-january-31?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Microsoft Ireland is a joke, not even a mention of the new phones on their site yet.

They are up on the Microsoft Ireland site. You can't buy them though as they are just marked as coming soon, but all the info/specs etc are there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement