Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nobody has Jimmy, not at all.
    Truth is, my want for it is completely superficial.
    So I was hoping someone could justify the extra cost for this over say...an MS Surface. (attachable keyboards are still important to me)

There isn't a heck of a lot in the difference. The Nokia is lighter and thinner Snapdragon processor in the Nokia would be better than the Tegra 4 the Surface is sporting. Whether any of that is really that noticeable is another story as they both have enough poke to run Windows 8 very well (I thought the first Surface was a bit too sluggish). The Nokia has 4G connectivity whereas the Surface just has WiFi so depending on how useful that is, it could be the dealbreaker. The Surface comes with a full USB port where the Nokia would need an adapter (unless you get the keyboard case).

The Surface has more options with the case, you can get a very thin touch case, a slightly thicker type case with proper keys or the power cover which is like the type cover but thicker and gives another 4 hours battery life, give or take. The case for the Nokia is the same as the power cover for the surface but also gives two USB ports as well. The power cover for the Surface hasn't been released yet but if I remember right it's going to be about $200 whereas the Nokia cover is only $149 and Nokia have even given it free with some of the tablets.

If you can get the case free with the Nokia then it works out to be a great deal so it would work out significantly cheaper than the surface and a keyboard case. If not, then there really is feck all in the difference. If you like Windows 8 and don't mind the somewhat limited app selection that it currently has then you really won't be disappointed with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its unlikely the kb will be free here on release,maybe an offer on release and that will be it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There isn't a heck of a lot in the difference. The Nokia is lighter and thinner Snapdragon processor in the Nokia would be better than the Tegra 4 the Surface is sporting. Whether any of that is really that noticeable is another story as they both have enough poke to run Windows 8 very well (I thought the first Surface was a bit too sluggish). The Nokia has 4G connectivity whereas the Surface just has WiFi so depending on how useful that is, it could be the dealbreaker. The Surface comes with a full USB port where the Nokia would need an adapter (unless you get the keyboard case).

The Surface has more options with the case, you can get a very thin touch case, a slightly thicker type case with proper keys or the power cover which is like the type cover but thicker and gives another 4 hours battery life, give or take. The case for the Nokia is the same as the power cover for the surface but also gives two USB ports as well. The power cover for the Surface hasn't been released yet but if I remember right it's going to be about $200 whereas the Nokia cover is only $149 and Nokia have even given it free with some of the tablets.

If you can get the case free with the Nokia then it works out to be a great deal so it would work out significantly cheaper than the surface and a keyboard case. If not, then there really is feck all in the difference. If you like Windows 8 and don't mind the somewhat limited app selection that it currently has then you really won't be disappointed with either.
    Thanks for the breakdown. It was alot of help.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only other advantage of the 2520 is that it uses the clearback display so has really good sunlight performance. Saying that I've never really had a problem using my Surface in the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

liamog wrote: »
    The only other advantage of the 2520 is that it uses the clearback display so has really good sunlight performance. Saying that I've never really had a problem using my Surface in the sun.

I wouldn't say only advantage. Are 4G, gorilla glass, NFC for your lumia for storyteller, better camera, and GPS with HERE maps not an addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Davy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say only advantage. Are 4G, gorilla glass, NFC for your lumia for storyteller, better camera, and GPS with HERE maps not an addition?

Don't forget LTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Griffinx wrote: »
    Don't forget LTE

Is LTE not 4G?

54kroc wrote: »
    Is LTE not 4G?

Going blind in my old age

Had anyone got any accessories for their 2520 yet? Usb/hdmi adapter , cover, sd card?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I hope when this tablet is made widely available its sales fail dramatically! I hate those tactics companies often use,like giving john lewis exclusivity for the first few months.its sticking 2 fingers up to potential customers.they certainly wont be getting my hard earned anyway.

I hope when this tablet is made widely available its sales fail dramatically! I hate those tactics companies often use,like giving john lewis exclusivity for the first few months.its sticking 2 fingers up to potential customers.they certainly wont be getting my hard earned anyway.

While i agree with your exclusivity deal point why do you hope it fails? What benefit is that to you personally?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    While i agree with your exclusivity deal point why do you hope it fails? What benefit is that to you personally?

personal inner satisfaction, and maybe companies like nokia might re-think the way they launch their new products in future.

personal inner satisfaction, and maybe companies like nokia might re-think the way they launch their new products in future.

Happens with them all, and the roll out of this could have been better.

Happens with them all, and the roll out of this could have been better.

I actually really wanted to get one of these at launch, I know there are ways around and I could of got one shipped from john lewis, but I really couldn't be arsed. the way things are going in the tech world these days, 2 months would almost make a "new" product out of date. the new nexus 10 is rumoured to be launched this year, I will be hanging on for that. I didn't really need the lumia 2520 as I have the current nexus 10 and the nexus 7, but I,m a sucker for new tech. if the lumia had of been available in ,say, pc world I know I would of definitely impulse bought it.

• Advertisement

I actually really wanted to get one of these at launch, I know there are ways around and I could of got one shipped from john lewis, but I really couldn't be arsed. the way things are going in the tech world these days, 2 months would almost make a "new" product out of date. the new nexus 10 is rumoured to be launched this year, I will be hanging on for that. I didn't really need the lumia 2520 as I have the current nexus 10 and the nexus 7, but I,m a sucker for new tech. if the lumia had of been available in ,say, pc world I know I would of definitely impulse bought it.

Lots wanted it, yet total silence on it the Americans got the first call and then John lewis, why John lewis is beyond me, and now when or if it's available here and who Brags/exclusivity maybe to late. I'm the same I want something and can't wait, and I won't wait and again other devices replace things rather quickly these days, it's probably to late for Ireland and the 2520 now unless the price comes down and they throw in the kb.

Has anyone been able to purchase the keyboard/cover?

They are still not showing on the John Lewis site.

Lots wanted it, yet total silence on it the Americans got the first call and then John lewis, why John lewis is beyond me, and now when or if it's available here and who Brags/exclusivity maybe to late. I'm the same I want something and can't wait, and I won't wait and again other devices replace things rather quickly these days, it's probably to late for Ireland and the 2520 now unless the price comes down and they throw in the kb.

True.
    And this isn't the first time Nokias name has been mentioned in this regard.
    Either they don't listen to feedback or there must be some financing issue related to the exclusivity deals.

True.
    And this isn't the first time Nokias name has been mentioned in this regard.
    Either they don't listen to feedback or there must be some financing issue related to the exclusivity deals.

Results prove today this is a factor to consider whilst i have had several discussions today with others,what has to change..

Exclusivity-Has to stop.
    Announcement to launch date looked at,this was improving but halted.
    Communication in certain regions from PR that hold nokia accounts social media,some of it is dire,this has been documented in many regions.
    Interaction with the public,better information,better availability options,not tied to certain regions.
    Regardless ireland having a small share and others new things need looking into,this will help,advertising here is more or less non existent,this has been put down to budget constraints but hey they have a website,have twitter and facebook,this can be used,currently very lame in its approach to helping out and giving info.

Results prove today this is a factor to consider whilst i have had several discussions today with others,what has to change..

Exclusivity-Has to stop.

How do you mean? Do you mean they are doing it because they couldn't break the market otherwise, or are you saying they do it because it pays to do it?

• Advertisement

How do you mean? Do you mean they are doing it because they couldn't break the market otherwise, or are you saying they do it because it pays to do it?

No exclusivity is not always good,never been popular and bagging a network is also not always a financial win.

Look now here,again the 1520 exclusive to vodafone,what happened with the rest,O2 where the ones to begin with..

Keyboard is now available on John Lewis site. £150 ~ €180...scandalous price

http://www.johnlewis.com/nokia-power-keyboard-case-for-lumia-2520/p945056?navAction=jump

**** right off.

Gone down to £99 now..

Gone down to £99 now..

Slightly more realistic

Slightly more realistic

Ye would agree. Can't see many going for it tbh, I personally prefer it without the keyboard for most things. You can fold the keyboard cover to hold the tablet for touch use without having to remove the case which is good.

EDIT: now sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I don't know if it's that bad a price it's about the same price Dell are charging for their mobile keyboard case.

EDIT: now sold out

Glad I hit the purchase button this morning

So about €590 for the pair.

Improvment on before but still a little steep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So about €590 for the pair.

Improvment on before but still a little steep.

About the same price as a surface 2 with type cover. They should really be trying to under cut the surface 2.

About the same price as a surface 2 with type cover. They should really be trying to under cut the surface 2.

Yup still too expensive..

Yup still too expensive..

Are most people buying the 2520 going to want/buy the su-42 with it?

Personally I don't find the keyboard essential, and a lot of the time I remove the tablet from it. It adds quite a bit of weight, so unless doing a lot of typing I find it handier without it. It does act as a great case, but one thing I did notice over time was it shows up a lot of dirt on the black cover, not sure if the red is similar but the material acts as a magnet.

it's RT ote="Davy;88843248"]Are most people buying the 2520 going to want/buy the su-42 with it?

Personally I don't find the keyboard essential, and a lot of the time I remove the tablet from it. It adds quite a bit of weight, so unless doing a lot of typing I find it handier without it. It does act as a great case, but one thing I did notice over time was it shows up a lot of dirt on the black cover, not sure if the red is similar but the material acts as a magnet.[/quote]

I'd imagine at least 50% would yeah, and it's a dirt magnet I know, but the overall cost of tablet considered it's RT is expensive.

http://dx.com/p/x-style-protective-tpu-back-case-for-nokia-lumia-2520-black-285160

Got this last month and its a decent fit, ideal when the keyboard isnt attached or for someone not buying the keyboard.

Comes in black, blue or translucent white.

In this video at 1:24, the guy says they keyboard is disabled in that mode..that means presumably it should work with the onscreen keyboard but I can't get it to work like that.

I like the using it as at 1:24 because it should be like the using the tablet without the keyboard getting in the way without having to actually disconnect it.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much.... any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eg8wBfAdPo

Tablet reduced by £100...£299 now in John Lewis, good price I think.

It undercuts the Surface 2 price and puts it at not much more than the original Surface RT so that's pretty competitive.

Any price drop on the keyboard though?

• Advertisement

Carphone Warehouse UK are now also selling it for £399 but including the keyboard at that price

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/NOKIA_2520_WIFI_4G?intcmp=TabletLP_LUMIA2520

Carphone Warehouse UK are now also selling it for £399 but including the keyboard at that price

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/NOKIA_2520_WIFI_4G?intcmp=TabletLP_LUMIA2520

Brilliant I wonder if they'll deliver it to a store in the republic.

Brilliant I wonder if they'll deliver it to a store in the republic.

Dont think they would, but you might be able to use parcel motel. Last resort go up to NI

Dont think they would, but you might be able to use parcel motel. Last resort go up to NI

Doesn't appear to be in stock in any of the NI stores.
    Waiting on a reply to an email I sent asking if they'll ship outside UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Doesn't appear to be in stock in any of the NI stores.
    Waiting on a reply to an email I sent asking if they'll ship outside UK.

If they get back to you if they will ship here, can you pop up a quick post, would be all over that if they did!

Skittlemon wrote: »
    If they get back to you if they will ship here, can you pop up a quick post, would be all over that if they did!

They got back to me and unfortunately, they won't ship outside the UK.

Looks like it's time to get in touch with some friends and family in the UK.

• Advertisement

They got back to me and unfortunately, they won't ship outside the UK.

Looks like it's time to get in touch with some friends and family in the UK.

use parcel motel.

use parcel motel.

Not too familiar with it. How would that get around the problem?

Not too familiar with it. How would that get around the problem?

CPW would ship it to the nightline depot in NI, then nightline deliver it to your local motel in the ROI

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

Price is €3.50

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/2520-charger/
    Nokia is announcing a product advisory for the European and UK variant of the AC-300 charger, which is used exclusively with the Lumia 2520 tablet. Consumers in Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Russia, Switzerland and UK are strongly advised to suspend use of the charger until further notice. Also, consumers who purchased the Lumia 2520 travel charger accessory in Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Russia, Switzerland, UK and the US are strongly advised to suspend use of the travel charger accessory.

In total, approximately 30,000 chargers are impacted by this advisory. This includes approximately 600 travel charger accessories sold in the US.

During an internal quality control process, Nokia identified a potential product quality issue that may potentially lead to a safety concern with certain AC-300 chargers, manufactured by a third-party supplier. Under certain conditions, the plastic cover of the charger’s exchangeable plug could come loose and separate. If loose and separated, certain internal components may cause an electric shock if touched while the plug remains in the live socket.

If you have an AC-300 charger and would like to receive more information as it becomes available, please send us your details using this form:

www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/contact/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sales of 2520 temporarily suspended due to the potential charger hazard issue

http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_suspends_the_sales_of_the_lumia_2520_over_safety_concerns-news-8314.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement