Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should the penalty be for illegal abortions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

have compassion for them, I have compassion for someone who might murder someone defending their home, I have compassion for junkies who got caught up in the wrong place wrong time and may have killed for a disgusting drug habbit, I have compassion for rape victims, I have compassion for people who decide to have abortion and live with that choice for the rest of their lives...

Are you equating ladies who have abortions with murderers & junkies?
    This is the point I am making. You are not re-enforcing your views or provide a credible argument that can be examined. You are just dealing out negative mental images that in your own words are not relevant.
    but my compassion for the people and the circumstances is not relevant.

Aha! But it is. You are advocating a view that abortion is wrong, and murder. Full stop.

The circumstances are of Paramount importance and of even more importance is your COMPASSION, for these people as that will dictate how you treat them. If you have "branded" these ladies are murder's and uncaring monsters flushing foetus then it's rather hard to feel compassion for them, but these are people and cannot all be filed away under a common blanket as every woman and every circumstance is different and you are shutting the door to help and options blindly to them all.

Sadly your view is the law of this country, I would argue that if we had more compassion for people it might not be.

Anyway, it would be good if you could articulate why you think abortion is wrong in every circumstance without resorting to flawed and irrelevant mental images and we'll have a debate on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Are you equating ladies who have abortions with murderers & junkies?
    This is the point I am making. You are not re-enforcing your views or provide a credible argument that can be examined. You are just dealing out negative mental images that in your own words are not relevant.

What I'm saying is I have compassion for all of the above but that doesn't change my opinion on how they should be punished.

You assume I have no compassion for them and that's WHY I want them punished which is not the case, clearly.

Aha! But it is. You are advocating a view that abortion is wrong, and murder. Full stop.

The circumstances are of Paramount importance and of even more importance is your COMPASSION, for these people as that will dictate how you treat them. If you have "branded" these ladies are murder's and uncaring monsters flushing foetus then it's rather hard to feel compassion for them, but these are people and cannot all be filed away under a common blanket as every woman and every circumstance is different and you are shutting the door to help and options blindly to them all.

Sadly your view is the law of this country, I would argue that if we had more compassion for people it might not be.

Anyway, it would be good if you could articulate why you think abortion is wrong in every circumstance without resorting to flawed and irrelevant mental images and we'll have a debate on that.

The cicrumstances are only important to the type of punishment.

it's eithier right or wrong how it happened or the circumstances involved should only come into it at the time of handing down a punishment.

example a rape victim against someone who wants to terminate (hows that?) for the sake of moving up the ladder in her career or whatever. the rape victim should be dealt with differently but it is what it is the result is the same the circumstanes are different.

it's nothing to do with compassion I have compassion for them that doesn't mean they should not be punished.

I have compassion for a homeless person who goes to prison trying to shoplift his dinner, the circumstances or his circumstances don't cancel out the crime? you understand this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ntlbell wrote: »
    so it's something that can be flushed down the toilet until there some sort of brain activity?
    I know quite a few people who would qualify for a flushing then.
    where do you define the start of life?
    I think that's the wrong question. Sperm is alive, as are eggs, but even the Roman Catholic Church does not claim that they are 'people', and I think this is part of the problem with the debate that we cannot even define it, let alone argue on it. Is it a question of biology? Sentience? A soul?

Another problem with this issue is that even if we were to decide upon a principle for criteria, it's application is another matter. Science is not a perfect tool for this, and has frequently been revised. After all, science has been used at different stages in history to define others as not strictly human or otherwise undeserving, with slavery, women's subjugation and eugenics having been justified by the science of their time.

On the question of legal abortion, I've just never been terribly comfortable with the fact that the definition is so arbitrary. At 24 weeks (a figure that was decided through committees) it becomes a person. At 23 weeks, six days and 23 hours it's just cells. Go figure.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    The morning after pill aka the emergency contraceptive pill does not cause an abortion to occur
    if it did then it would be illegal in this country and it's not.
    Depends. If the pill is designed to prevent ovulation or fertilization then it is still a contraceptive measure. If, on the other hand, it is designed to prevent post-fertilization implantation, then it is no longer a contraceptive (as conception has taken place) and does become a method of abortion.
    m83 wrote: »
    Abortion is illegal. A girl is raped and beaten to within an inch of her life. She recovers and aborts the baby because she can't handle the trauma of the situation.
    Working from the assumption that it is a baby, i.e. a human being, the baby didn't rape her, so it is not culpable. Regardless, one has to consider then that then you need to weigh up the rights of two supposedly equal individuals. Were we to do that, we cannot argue that the right for one person to avoid trauma supersedes the right of another to live. Of course, it's not that simple either, as one could use that same argument to force a compatible doner to give a non-critical organ to another person. Additionally, the right to life is not sacrosanct either, as much as we'd like to think it is. Society sanctions revocations of this right in the shape of war and capital punishment, all the time. Complex question, either way.
    Acacia wrote: »
    What if the woman is suicidal?
    Can I have all my debts wiped if I say I'm suicidal? Why don't we release all those people in prison who are suicidal?
    CathyMoran wrote: »
    It should never be the woman who has the abortion who is punished, only the people who do it.
    Depends. Some women have abortions like others have fillings. Others are scarred for the rest of their lives.

Legally speaking, Irish law lost the moral high ground a while back on this issue. Abortion in Ireland is illegal, but women have a constitutional right to travel to another country to have an abortion. Go figure - it's like making paedophilia illegal and then giving pervs a constitutional right to travel to Bangkok.

So regardless of one's view, I don't think Irish law has the moral high ground to preach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are literally thousands of women, our sisters, daughters and mothers travelling to England every year for abortions and are met with stigmatism and shame in this country. It doesn't sit well with me that you are sitting in your ivory tower ignoring these women because they don't happen to agree with your views. That's not compassion. It's ignorance.

That statics are somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 women a year.
    Some women will not given an irish address when in the uk and will use a friends so they are not counted and countries other then the UK don't furnish thier records to the IFPA.
    Number of women travelling to England and Wales for Abortions falls significantly - IFPA says Women now Going elsewhere in EU

Release date: 04 July 2006

The Irish Family Planning Association has said that abortion figures released today by the UK Department of Health Statistics Office reflect the fact that Irish women are now travelling elsewhere in Europe to access termination services.

According to the statistics, a total of 5,585 women resident in Ireland travelled to Britain for terminations in 2005. This represents a reduction of 632 on the previous year.

According to the IFPA’s Director of Counselling Services, Rosie Toner, “We welcome the drop which represents the most significant year-on-year change in abortion statistics and the lowest figure since 1997 (5,340). However, it is important to note that these figures are not an accurate reflection of the numbers of women who travel abroad to access termination services.

“The number of women attending our post-abortion medical services and counselling, who indicate that they had terminations in other EU states, such as Holland, Spain and Belgium has grown very significantly in the past 18 months.

“The Euro-Sterling difference now makes accessing terminations in England very expensive. Access to the internet as well as cheaper and more frequent airfares around Europe have made travelling beyond England a real option for women.

“The most significant drop recorded was in the 20 – 30 age-group, and this would probably represent the most mobile and flexible age group. The only increase in the numbers travelling from Ireland took place in the 40+ age-bracket.

“The statistics also indicate a small rise in the number of women travelling from Ireland who had terminations by nine-weeks of gestation. This rise shows that when women have the choice of an early termination, they will opt for it. Of course, early medical abortions are difficult for Irish woman because of the travel issue,” added Rosie Toner.

The Irish abortion situation will be the focus of a number of cases before the European Court of Human Rights in the next few years. Given that Ireland’s ban on abortion does not stop women from terminating the pregnancy the IFPA call on Political parties to consider this as they prepare for next years general election

I don't really see why it should come to this tho

What's the time on the morning after pill? 72 hours?

surly between the rape and the 72 hour window the morning after pill could be obtained?

It doesn't always happen and it can before a range of reasons.
    • the person going into shock and denial,
    • to not having the money to get it,
    • or being unable to get an appointment,
    • or being able to arrange to travel to an appointment.

Life just is not that black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

so it's something that can be flushed down the toilet until there some sort of brain activity?

No, think of the plumbing problems that would cause :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The cicrumstances are only important to the type of punishment.

it's eithier right or wrong how it happened or the circumstances involved should only come into it at the time of handing down a punishment.

example a rape victim against someone who wants to terminate (hows that?) for the sake of moving up the ladder in her career or whatever. the rape victim should be dealt with differently but it is what it is the result is the same the circumstanes are different.

it's nothing to do with compassion I have compassion for them that doesn't mean they should not be punished.

I have compassion for a homeless person who goes to prison trying to shoplift his dinner, the circumstances or his circumstances don't cancel out the crime? you understand this right?

You've lost me.

This is my quesiton and you're talking about punishment and homeless people shoplifting. Try again.
    On the question of legal abortion, I've just never been terribly comfortable with the fact that the definition is so arbitrary. At 24 weeks (a figure that was decided through committees) it becomes a person. At 23 weeks, six days and 23 hours it's just cells. Go figure.

I think this is the time that the nervous system develops. That was the approach taken.
    Legally speaking, Irish law lost the moral high ground a while back on this issue. Abortion in Ireland is illegal, but women have a constitutional right to travel to another country to have an abortion. Go figure - it's like making paedophilia illegal and then giving pervs a constitutional right to travel to Bangkok.

So regardless of one's view, I don't think Irish law has the moral high ground to preach.
    Today 11:10

I agree. But no political party has the balls to stand up and make this a real issue.

That is something which is currently under review in the UK and in other countries esp as neo natal care for premature babies see those 'born' at 22 weeks having a vast amount of medical intervention to keep the 'baby' alive.

Wether that amount of medical intervention is a good thing or not is another debate.
    Depends. If the pill is designed to prevent ovulation or fertilization then it is still a contraceptive measure. If, on the other hand, it is designed to prevent post-fertilization implantation, then it is no longer a contraceptive (as conception has taken place) and does become a method of abortion.

Medically and legally what the M.A.P./EC does is not abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think the penalty should apply only to the doctor for performing a procedure he was not licensed to do. Hypothetically. I of course support abortion on demand.

It doesn't always happen and it can before a range of reasons.
    • the person going into shock and denial,
    • to not having the money to get it,
    • or being unable to get an appointment,
    • or being able to arrange to travel to an appointment.

Life just is not that black and white.

not been able to see any doctor or any familiy health clinic in 72 hours anywhere in there county? really? this is a real problem?

is there something wrong with the bus service?

as for money i know people who got the money from their local releaving officer from the social?

get a loan?

medical card?

etc

the amount of people who can't do one of the above should be pretty small if any

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My logic behind only agreeing to abortion if the physical or fertility of the mother is affected is that mental illness can be treated, even if in the extreme cases that involves sectioning the mother until she has her baby. I am not in any way trying to belittle mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

m83 wrote: »
    But it still terminates a would be pregnancy, if i'm not mistaken.

The morning after pill prevents implantation and causes the womb to contract, thus expelling the fertilised egg. The inter-uterine device (coil) also prevents implantation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The OP asked what the penalty for illegal abortions should be, and it's a tough question.

I reckon suspension of the doctor's medical degree would be enough as a deterrent. In terms of punitive justice, the point could be debated. But most docs won't do something that will endanger their right to practise.

I think it's a bit of a moot point, though. I'm against abortions meself, but I still think we may aswell legalise them if we're allowed give out information about abortions in England.

The whole thing just seems silly to me.

My logic behind only agreeing to abortion if the physical or fertility of the mother is affected is that mental illness can be treated, even if in the extreme cases that involves sectioning the mother until she has her baby. I am not in any way trying to belittle mental illness.

Lots of mental illness is intractable, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My compassion for women who have abortions depends on many things, the circumstances around the abortion, the remorse she shows, how many she has had before, but my compassion for the victim of the abortion will always supercede my compassion for the women who seeks one out.

Of courses the justice system must be tempered by the circumstances of the crime.

not been able to see any doctor or any familiy health clinic in 72 hours anywhere in there county? really? this is a real problem?

Yes, many drs will not dispense the morning after pill,
    getting to one which will and can give an appointment is a problem in several parts of the country.

Haivng been wro in college I still to this day get emails and phone calls from people who know me and know someone who is desperately trying to find a dr down the country to see them to get the morning after pill.

is there something wrong with the bus service?

Have you idea how bad the lack of bus services are in parts of the country ?
    as for money i know people who got the money from their local releaving officer from the social?

Again that takes time and most will not give money for that.
    get a loan?

I know women who have had to do that, to go their friends and try find the money needed. Yes it is a lot less costly then having to go for a termination
    but not every woman thinks head about having a EC fund just in case.
    medical card?

Lots of people who are living week to week and students don't have a medical card.

the amount of people who can't do one of the above should be pretty small if any

Again you have a very black and white view of the world.

Yes, many drs will not dispense the morning after pill,
    getting to one which will and can give an appointment is a problem in several parts of the country.

Haivng been wro in college I still to this day get emails and phone calls from people who know me and know someone who is desperately trying to find a dr down the country to see them to get the morning after pill.

Have you idea how bad the lack of bus services are in parts of the country ?

Again that takes time and most will not give money for that.

I know women who have had to do that, to go their friends and try find the money needed. Yes it is a lot less costly then having to go for a termination
    but not every woman thinks head about having a EC fund just in case.

Lots of people who are living week to week and students don't have a medical card.

Again you have a very black and white view of the world.

I just find it hard to understand how it's easier to get a flight or a boat to the uk pay for an abortion etc than get the morning after pill?

I can't recall being in any part of ireland and having to wait longer than 3 days for a bus....if this was the case maybe thumb a lift? get a taxi?

I walked in off the street into the first chemist i seen on a sunday morning and purchsed it over the counter with no perescption in the waterford with a bit of talking and explaining.

there's always a way and in the cases there isn't should be few and far between

you seem to be concentrating on the ways not to be able to get it instead of the ways to get it.

Doctors don't prescribe the morning after pill??

People should report their doc if they do that and don't provide an alternative.

I know someone who will not even prescribe the pill as it is against her morals...I thought that they had a right to do that?

I know someone who will not even prescribe the pill as it is against her morals...I thought that they had a right to do that?

You only have a right to refuse if you can provide an immediate alternative (eg if one of the other docs in the practise will prescribe it).

Unless things have changed recently in Irish medical law (I currently work in Oz).

• Advertisement

Yes, she will refer you to her locum - I still think that it is crazy though.

I just find it hard to understand how it's easier to get a flight or a boat to the uk pay for an abortion etc than get the morning after pill?

I don't think it is easier but again denial and shock and praying it wont' happen and that if it turns out the woman is pregnant then there are several weeks in which she can sort money to travel for a termination.
    I can't recall being in any part of ireland and having to wait longer than 3 days for a bus....if this was the case maybe thumb a lift? get a taxi?

Again dr offices do not often open at the weekend so yes it is possible for that deadline to run out. Esp if the woman can't get help or support for what ever reasons.
    I walked in off the street into the first chemist i seen on a sunday morning and purchsed it over the counter with no perescption in the waterford with a bit of talking and explaining.

The chemist is taking a considerable risk doing that and some down the country do not stock the M.A.P. and I would consider one who gave it to a man for a woman they have not seen and questioned about thier medical history or about what medications she is already on to be irresponsible.
    there's always a way and in the cases there isn't should be few and far between

If a person is not in shock and is damned determined they can.

I know of one woman who had to keep her kids out of school and take them on the bus to Dublin to get the M.A.P. and then go and try get money from
    the hardship fund from the social welfare officer the next day as other wise she would not have enough money to feed the kids for the week.

you seem to be concentrating on the ways not to be able to get it instead of the ways to get it.

It is not available enough. Ideally we should have better access to it and to all contraception and contraception knowledge to prevent unwanted pregnancy. An ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Doctors don't prescribe the morning after pill??

People should report their doc if they do that and don't provide an alternative.

Some times that alternative is a dr two towns over who's surgery won't be open over the weekend.

Yes, she will refer you to her locum - I still think that it is crazy though.

As long as the locum is present at the time, then that's OK. I mean it's not ideal, but it's workable.

Just as a doctor's morals shouldn't determine the healthcare of the population, a doctor shouldn't be forced to do something they find morally reprehensible in a non-urgent setting.

Some times that alternative is a dr two towns over who's surgery won't be open over the weekend.

Well, that's failure of duty to care, and is reportable. Unless, like I said, things have changed recently.

I don't think it is easier but again denial and shock and praying it wont' happen and that if it turns out the woman is pregnant then there are several weeks in which she can sort money to travel for a termination.

Again dr offices do not often open at the weekend so yes it is possible for that deadline to run out. Esp if the woman can't get help or support for what ever reasons.

The chemist is taking a considerable risk doing that and some down the country do not stock the M.A.P. and I would consider one who gave it to a man for a woman they have not seen and questioned about thier medical history or about what medications she is already on to be irresponsible.

If a person is not in shock and is damned determined they can.

I know of one woman who had to keep her kids out of school and take them on the bus to Dublin to get the M.A.P. and then go and try get money from
    the hardship fund from the social welfare officer the next day as other wise she would not have enough money to feed the kids for the week.

It is not available enough. Ideally we should have better access to it and to all contraception and contraception knowledge to prevent unwanted pregnancy. An ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure.

So if it happens on a friday evening just after the doc leaves.

The busses stop running till tuesday...

no other doc anywhere in the country can see you till tuesday.

be in shock and denial.

have no releaving officer willing to help.

have no friends willing to borrow.

have no car

no taxi's running..

that's some serious bad luck on top of your worsening situation.

these cases would be as i said few and far between the chances of all this coming together to prevent you from doing something is very rare i'd say

it's irrelvant if what the chemist did was right or wrong the point is where there's a will there;s a way.

She isnt and does not know us as well as our doctor does...she is old school catholic, even thinks that the condom is wrong even in situations where the health of the mother would be at risk if she got pregnant (she thinks that the rythm method is fine, even in those with uneven cycles). But that is a rant for another day. I imagine that there are a lot of doctors out there like her. Getting the map is not easy.

As for the punishment or prosecution of those who preform illegal abortions in this country;
    I have never heard of a case.

I have heard of people being arrested but never of a case which has gone before the courts,
    maybe someone else has and can enlighten me.

I do know that there have been women who have been rushed into hospital
    after one due to complications both during an induced miscarriage
    ( the rise of the use of the illegally obtained abortion pill is very concerning) or
    directly afterward or from needing to be treated for infection but none of them
    has ever been charged to my knowledge.

I do think that back street abortion is a hazard to women's health
    I do know that it is on the rise with the number of emigrants in the country
    who can not legally leave the country.

https://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2005/mar/13/illegal-abortion-pill-on-the-black-market-in-dubli/
    Illegal 'abortion pill' on the black market in Dublin city
    Sarah McInerney
    THE illegal sale of a controversial "abortion pill" on the black market in Dublin's city centre is being investigated by the state's drug licensing body, the Irish Medicines Board.

A spokeswoman for the board said it had become aware of the illegal sale in Ireland of the drug RU-486 and had "been involved in a number of investigations in the Moore Street area into this illegal practice".

It is believed the pills are being smuggled into Ireland from China and are being made available to pregnant immigrant Chinese women who are unable to leave Ireland for abortions in England.

RU-486 is a controversial abortion medication which can be taken up to nine weeks into a pregnancy. It must be taken with another drug, methotrexate, in order for the abortion to be successful. Methotrexate can be attained on prescription in Ireland to treat stomach ulcers.

According to the Marie Stopes Reproductive Choices Centre, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that both Irish and immigrant women have used this drug in attempted abortions.

Alison Begas, chief executive of the Well Woman Clinic, said that the organisation is aware of a number of cases in which Chinese women have procured "generic versions" of RU-486 from the black market in Dublin.

"We would be aware that certain knock-off Chinese versions of the drug have been available on Moore Street and O'Connell Street, " she said. "It is being sold in Ireland as the abortion pill. I would stress the inherent risks of any woman taking the drug."

The chief executive of the Irish Family Planning Clinic, Niall Behan, said that the IFPA had also come across considerable anecdotal evidence of RU-486 being obtained and used in Ireland.

"We've heard anecdotally of cases where this is being ordered on the internet, " he said. "Although it is safe to use under medical supervision, it's very dangerous otherwise."

Dorene McCarthy, director of the Marie Stopes Reproductive Choices Centre said that they had been contacted by "a considerable amount of Chinese girls" who had resorted to using abortion medication.

"A lot of them have sent for abortion 'remedies' from their mothers in the post, " she said.

"We don't know what is in it.

We've had girls who have come back to us haemorrhaging from whatever they've taken."

A garda spokeswoman said she was unable to establish if there had been any further reported incidents of [the sale of RU-486]. "Having checked with our DVSAU (domestic violence and sexual assault unit) and our GNDU (garda national drug unit) there have been no instances of the drug RU-486 having been sold or seized here in Ireland, " she said.
    March 13, 2005

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=7940
    Concern on illegal Irish abortions

[Posted: Thu 28/07/2005]

By Niall Hunter-Editor

The Irish Family Planning Association (IFPA) has said the small drop in the number of Irish women going to Britain for abortions is most likely due to the high costs of having the procedure there.

And the IFPA has stressed that the latest abortion figures do not take account of the number of women who have had illegal abortions in Ireland.

An IFPA spokeswoman told irishhealth.com that recent anecdotal reports of 'backstreet' abortions in Ireland are an extremely worrying development, but not at all surprising, given that in any country where women's access to safe, legal abortion is denied, some women will seek to terminate their pregnancy by other means.

A total of 6,217 Irish women traveled to the UK for abortions in 2004, a drop of 103 on the figures for the previous year.

Women aged between 20 and 30 years represented the majority of those who travelled to Britain for abortions last year.

Rosie Toner, director of the IFPA's counseling services, said an increasing number of women attending the Association's post-abortion medical and counselling service had had their terminations in other European countries, including the Netherlands and Spain.

She said lower airfares and access to the internet has enabled Irish women to investigate other options outside of Britain.

The cost of a termination in the UK at present varies from £650 to £750 while the cost of an early abortion in Holland can be 250 or 300 euros less.

Even when travel and accommodation are taken into account it can still work out much cheaper to travel to other EU countries, according to the IFPA.

It says there is a real need for Irish statistics on abortion which indicate the number of women who access termination services within the EU, America and Russia; which are all locations that Irish women have been reported to travel to for abortions.

Ms Toner said unless we can develop a real picture of the numbers of women traveling for abortion services we will not be in a position to develop strategies and services that deal with the needs of women.

The IFPA said the fact that over 6,000 Irish women were traveling to Britain for abortions was further evidence of the need for domestic-based abortion services.

The Association suspects that some illegal abortions have taken place recently in Ireland but says it has it has no hard evidence of this.

It points out that in the past year the Gardai have found evidence of a return to illegal abortion, which has not been reported in Ireland since the 1950s. These terminations are believed to have taken place among the immigrant population, some of whom might face greater restrictions on travel and often lack funds, according to the Association.
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=7940

So if it happens on a friday evening just after the doc leaves.

The busses stop running till tuesday...

no other doc anywhere in the country can see you till tuesday.

be in shock and denial.

have no releaving officer willing to help.

have no friends willing to borrow.

have no car

no taxi's running..

that's some serious bad luck on top of your worsening situation.

these cases would be as i said few and far between the chances of all this coming together to prevent you from doing something is very rare i'd say

it's irrelvant if what the chemist did was right or wrong the point is where there's a will there;s a way.

One of the problems is that the morning after pill's effectiveness decreases as time goes by. So, ideally the girl wold have it within 12 hours. You can take it up to 72 hours after the ride, but it's less effective at that point. So quick access should be a priority, although in the grand scale of things I'm not sure how much of an overall healthcare priority this should be.

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    One of the problems is that the morning after pill's effectiveness decreases as time goes by. So, ideally the girl wold have it within 12 hours. You can take it up to 72 hours after the ride, but it's less effective at that point. So quick access should be a priority, although in the grand scale of things I'm not sure how much of an overall healthcare priority this should be.

http://www.ifpa.ie/eng/Info/Fact-sheets/Emergency-Contraception
    HOW EFFECTIVE ARE EMERGENCY PILLS?
    OF THE PREGNANCIES THAT COULD BE EXPECTED TO HAVE OCCURRED IF
    NO EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION HAD BEEN USED THE EMERGENCY PILL
    WILL PREVENT:
    » Up to 95% if taken within 24 hours
    » Up to 85% if taken between 25-48 hours
    » Up to 58% if taken between 49-72 hours
    So as you can see the earlier they are taken the more effective the
    ECPs are and most effective if the pills are taken within 24 hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement