Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S Sale

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

If you don't mind windows phone go for this deal, its 190 delivered now and spec-4-spec its up there with the best windows phones, even better in facet than some of the 400 quid price range devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Just bought an Ativ S, quite like it but have to get used to a couple of things coming from Android. Some questions, I hope someone can help/answer:

1) Can I install another browser? I can't find anything.
    2) Is there an adblock? Can i sideload?
    3) I don't see any videoplayer in the App store, but when I copy movies to the Video folder via USB, even the built in Music and Video hub can't see them?
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Both updated to GDR3 through the Dev program.

4) According to the web, GDR3 was officially released on 15 Nov. Did anyone get the update yet? I certainly did not. Amazon DE bought phone.
    5) How do I change the default search provider to Google?
    6) Is there a away to to swap the Search button with the Back button? The Search key is not nearly as important as the Back key yet is the one that is closest to my thumb (really strange design decision).
    7) Is there an app that enhances multi process/app handling?
    8) Can I install another keyboard program like Swipe? Can I install 2 language packs for the keyboard auto correct?

The biggest disappointment sofar is that even the paid apps sometimes have ridiculous demands on your privacy. Many apps access your owner id or phone id, even when you pay 5 euro for the app to get rid of the ads. This was one of the main reasons to switch from Android. Luckily there are often alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think UC Browser is better than the stock IE.

I dunno if you can change the default search provider. You can add a tile to google. Not the same thing I know. Bing seems to return a lot different results to google, and a lot less useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Wcool wrote: »
    Just bought an Ativ S, quite like it but have to get used to a couple of things coming from Android. Some questions, I hope someone can help/answer:

1) Can I install another browser? I can't find anything.
    2) Is there an adblock? Can i sideload?
    3) I don't see any videoplayer in the App store, but when I copy movies to the Video folder via USB, even the built in Music and Video hub can't see them?

4) According to the web, GDR3 was officially released on 15 Nov. Did anyone get the update yet? I certainly did not. Amazon DE bought phone.
    5) How do I change the default search provider to Google?
    6) Is there a away to to swap the Search button with the Back button? The Search key is not nearly as important as the Back key yet is the one that is closest to my thumb (really strange design decision).
    7) Is there an app that enhances multi process/app handling?
    8) Can I install another keyboard program like Swipe? Can I install 2 language packs for the keyboard auto correct?

The biggest disappointment sofar is that even the paid apps sometimes have ridiculous demands on your privacy. Many apps access your owner id or phone id, even when you pay 5 euro for the app to get rid of the ads. This was one of the main reasons to switch from Android. Luckily there are often alternatives.

IE - Settings - Advanced Settings - Default Search Provider

There is no way to swap the functionality of the back and browse buttons.

You can install an additional language pack in Settings-Keyboard- Add.
    They will then appear beside the space bar.

GDR3 roll out will take time to hit all devices.

UC browser and there is another one that I cannot remember that was only released recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Thanks, that worked except for the Default Search provider.
    The option is not there.

Update :Changing Search provider seems to be a Nokia only 'feature'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

mark_m360 wrote: »
    IE - Settings - Advanced Settings - Default Search Provider

There is no way to swap the functionality of the back and browse buttons.

You can install an additional language pack in Settings-Keyboard- Add.
    They will then appear beside the space bar.

GDR3 roll out will take time to hit all devices.

UC browser and there is another one that I cannot remember that was only released recently.

I am using gdr3 now

To get GDR3 German unbranded Ativs, you can change the CSC from DBT to ATO and get the update. just confirmed it's working on mine. Still unlocked and all features working.

Just type ##634# on the dialer, then enter *#321647335 on the diagnostics app to open the CSC selection menu, change it to ATO and your phone will factory reset with the new CSC, check for update and it should be there. Warning: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've an Ativ on the way from Amazon.de at the moment, so first thing I should do is the action above?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Whats the storey with warranty if you order this through amazon.de If there was a problem does it have to be returned through amazon or can it be fixed in Ireland. Does the phone have to be registered to activate warranty or anything?

Advertisement