Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S Sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Just got one of these delivered for 215 from Amazon.de.

I was using a HTC Sensation, which was a top of the line phone when it was released, but this is light years ahead of that.

I had been considering getting a Jiayu G4, but I'm delighted I went for this instead.

The Windows OS just works better than Android too, I way prefer it. Sure there are issues with some apps not being available, but it's worth it for such a lovely phone with a brilliant OS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any nice cases or other accessories for this? It is waiting at home for me but I won't get my hands on it for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Can you download country maps on the Ativ like the Nokia WP8 phones?
    To use offline so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

gman2k wrote: »
    Can you download country maps on the Ativ like the Nokia WP8 phones?
    To use offline so to speak?

You might be able to get Nokia Here maps but it's a Nokia specific product so chances are what you want may not be available for Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

TBi wrote: »
    You might be able to get Nokia Here maps but it's a Nokia specific product so chances are what you want may not be available for Samsung.

Thanks, but I'm looking for a definitive answer from an owner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

gman2k wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a definitive answer from an owner!

Definitive proof here.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/07/24/here-maps-for-windows-phone-8-walk-through/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is the one on amazon.de being sold by amazon themselves unlocked? €205 delivered seems a bargain for the spec. I was going to get the nexus 8gb, but thats sold out now for good it seems, as my order was previously cancelled and its a lot of hassle to get the 16gb as it keeps cancelling my orders. Also €50 extra for 8gb isn't as good a deal personally.

Is windows phone 8 a big jump from 7.8? Coming from a lumia 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Well I think I'm going to give up on the Nexus 4, google are constantly cancelling my orders absolute pain.

Will this be getting future updates gdr3, win 8.1 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

xtal191 wrote: »
    Well I think I'm going to give up on the Nexus 4, google are constantly cancelling my orders absolute pain.

Will this be getting future updates gdr3, win 8.1 etc?

It will indeed.

Personally, wp8 is a big jump from 7.8, not only is there more apps available but it is a more finished product, along with future update such as gdr3, 8.1 etc.

For €205, it is an absolute bargain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Does anyone know how to view Sim Messages on this?

Basically, I got the usual series of texts from O2 when I put my sim in a new phone:

1. We'll send you settings to allow data usage on this phone.
    2. A sim message that I assume is the settings.
    3. If you accepted those settings, you're good to go.

But I never got presented the option to accept them...

Now the phone is showing the H/3G logo beside my bars, but it can't access the network in any apps...

• Advertisement

Does windows phone 8 still require zune when transferring music files or can you just stick the microsd into your pc and drag and drop music/videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tinie wrote: »
    Does windows phone 8 still require zune when transferring music files or can you just stick the microsd into your pc and drag and drop music/videos?

WP8 doesn't support Zune at all. Drag and drop is fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

WP8 is drag and drop.

How long was delivery for you guys from day of order on amazon.de, not despatch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How long was delivery for you guys from day of order on amazon.de, not despatch.

I ordered at 11pm on a Friday. Phone was shipped on the following Wednesday. Delivered the next day. So four business days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

I see that you save a tenner from getting this shipped to the Uk for some reason, so should it be ok to use parcel motel as I have a free trial with them left. Also do you get a free microsd card with this, as some reviews said theirs came with a 16gb card. Thanks

Was it An post that delivered your phones guys as I just ordered one, and if its a courier service ill have to organise to collect it.

Was it An post that delivered your phones guys as I just ordered one, and if its a courier service ill have to organise to collect it.

Courier for me. UPS.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Courier for me. UPS.

Hmmm. I wonder would parcel motel work in holding the parcel till I got home that night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hmmm. I wonder would parcel motel work in holding the parcel till I got home that night.

You can collect it from UPS or select a different delivery address after the first delivery attempt. If you do nothing after the first delivery attempt, they will try to deliver two more times before returning to the sender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Really tempted by this but I would really like a higher res screen. My old LG win 7.5 died and I am on a awful POS loaner phone at the moment. Bloody tempting me though!

Was tempted too but decided to go with the nokia 920 instead for this reason and the exclusive nokia apps, delighted i did, the screen and indeed phone is a thing of beauty.
    Got mine for €380 inc shipping on amazon, its unlocked to any newtowrk too.
    No doubt the Ativ S is a great phone but as i say the extras and simply stunning screen was too much to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sod it I ordered the Samsung

where did you buy it from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

With the rumours flying around of Win 9 devices coming out so I am stuck really. Although at least this time round win 8 phone will be upgraded to win 9.

Windows Phone 9 isn't coming in a hurry. We'll be getting GDR3 update for Windows Phone 8 before the end of the year, this seems mainly to be for BIG screen phones.

After that, Windows Phone 'Blue' / 8.1 will be out early 2014, but as you mention Win 8 handsets look likely to be able to upgrade to this.

Amazon.de got my last Windows phone from them too. 199+6e shipping to my office. Looking forward to getting back into the windows phone environment. Cant wait to dump this blackberry piece of junk :)

How did you get €6 shipping? I was charged €212 total delivered, or maybe its cheaper to get it delivered to dublin?

920 is too heavy and bulky and I ain`t paying 380e :) With the rumours flying around of Win 9 devices coming out so I am stuck really. Although at least this time round win 8 phone will be upgraded to win 9. That said this Blackberry loan phone is really grinding my gears, it cant do anything!

Not at all heavy, mine sits nicely in my cycling top up in the shoulder pocket,wouldnt notice it at all.
    Best built phone ive used or even played around with including the HTC One.
    The nokia exclusives,the best camera on the market and that glorious screen make it worth the extra imho.
    But yes that Ativ S is a great deal, i just dislike anything that resembles the Galaxy S3 or S4.
    Good luck with the Ativ, WP8 is just soooo damn fast,its a pleasure to use.

Sorry I rechecked it wasn't 6e it was 5e :pac: The look of the S4 doesn't bother me as its a nice looking handset. My budget for a phone is always around 250 I wouldn't ever spend over 300 on a phone so this suits me down to the ground.

lol again, how did you get €5 shipping as im getting charged a fair few euros more for waterford :confused:

Also, did ye guys who bought this off amazon.de get the GDR2 update already?

GDR2 was there for me to download when I got the phone last month. Be sure to install it before setting up the phone.

If data sense doesn't appear in the app list, you'll need to do a factory reset.

Sorry I rechecked it wasn't 6e it was 5e :pac: The look of the S4 doesn't bother me as its a nice looking handset. My budget for a phone is always around 250 I wouldn't ever spend over 300 on a phone so this suits me down to the ground.

I hear ya, to be honest if i wasnt such a heavy user with a camera i would have considered the Ativ S a bit more.

mad muffin wrote: »
    GDR2 was there for me to download when I got the phone last month. Be sure to install it before setting up the phone.

If data sense doesn't appear in the app list, you'll need to do a factory reset.

I installed it today no hassle days after getting the phone, didnt interfere with anything existing on the device ,is it different on the Ativ S?

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    I installed it today no hassle days after getting the phone, didnt interfere with anything existing on the device ,is it different on the Ativ S?

Yeah, there's a bug on the Ativ.

Advertisement