Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S Sale

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a bug on the Ativ.

Whats the bug?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tinie wrote: »
    Whats the bug?

Unless you do a factory reset data sense wont come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

This might not be the right place to ask this, so apologies if it isn't.

I'm just after dropping my Ativ S and breaking the screen. The image on the screen is totally fine - no black areas or distortion, it's just that the top layer of glass is badly cracked.

Can anyone tell me if I need to replace the whole screen with the touch panel and LCD, or will a new digitizer do the trick?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The lack of independent volume settings is really getting on my nerves with the phone. If I'm playing a game late at night before I go to sleep I have the volume down low, then forget to turn it back up and the alarm clock is too quiet to hear...

Really hope this is fixed soon, it's probably the only major problem I have with the phone as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The lack of independent volume settings is really getting on my nerves with the phone. If I'm playing a game late at night before I go to sleep I have the volume down low, then forget to turn it back up and the alarm clock is too quiet to hear...

Really hope this is fixed soon, it's probably the only major problem I have with the phone as it is.

That's rumoured to be fixed in either GDR3 or 8.1. So hopefully you don't have much longer to wait for!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Having been a Windows Phone user since its release, this is just the craziest/stupidest thing about the OS. Absolutely ridiculous. And I'm a WP8 fan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

One thing that could become a deal breaker for me keeping this phone is the absence of the ability to lock an app. I know you can lock the phone but not specific applications. On my old Android I often used Spotify on the phone to play music when with the lads, safe in the knowledge that they could use my phone to change song without being nosey! I know this sounds trivial but when you have been using the feature for so long it is a big thing to miss...especially when the interface is so inviting, people who are unfamiliar with a Windows phone want to check it out. Another example is that your SkyDrive photos show up in your gallery and there's no way to just keep the folder private as it can contain a mountain of your photos.

shamtastic wrote: »
    One thing that could become a deal breaker for me keeping this phone is the absence of the ability to lock an app. I know you can lock the phone but not specific applications. On my old Android I often used Spotify on the phone to play music when with the lads, safe in the knowledge that they could use my phone to change song without being nosey! I know this sounds trivial but when you have been using the feature for so long it is a big thing to miss...especially when the interface is so inviting, people who are unfamiliar with a Windows phone want to check it out. Another example is that your SkyDrive photos show up in your gallery and there's no way to just keep the folder private as it can contain a mountain of your photos.

Kids corner will do that for you and more. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Just got this! Only gripe so far is the bloody contact list. Is there a way of getting rid of the Hotmail contacts and keeping the sim ones?

marko93 wrote: »
    Just got this! Only gripe so far is the bloody contact list. Is there a way of getting rid of the Hotmail contacts and keeping the sim ones?

Go to People, click the 3 dots for menu, go to settings, then filter contact list. Untick whatever you don't want the phone to show you.

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »

People

Settings

Filter my contact list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

See, I tried that! When I chose to filter out Hotmail it filtered out my sim contacts too! I just updated and reset and started over with a brand spanking new email for it. Working great now! :P

Thanks for the help though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Has anyone else had trouble connecting to an Eircom netopia router?

Has anyone else had trouble connecting to an Eircom netopia router?

You need to upgrade your Eircom router as the older routers do not have the appropriate security certificates to be compatible with WP8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

mark_m360 wrote: »
    You need to upgrade your Eircom router as the older routers do not have the appropriate security certificates to be compatible with WP8.
    Upgrade software or get a new router? It is only about 3 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Upgrade software or get a new router? It is only about 3 months old

If it's a Netopia modem like you say, it's a lot more than 3 months old.
    You sure it's a Netopia?

If anyone is interested in even more of a bargain. Now that I got the iPhone 5s I've put up the Ativ S for sale on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is the Samsung Ativ S getting the amber update?

beauf wrote: »
    Is the Samsung Ativ S getting the amber update?

The Amber update is for Nokia Lumia devices only im afraid.

I thought it was lumia devices first then other devices. Has that changed?

• Advertisement

I thought it was lumia devices first then other devices. Has that changed?

No there is GDR2 which is for all devices and then there is Nokia Amber which is just for Nokia devices unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mark_m360 wrote: »
    No there is GDR2 which is for all devices and then there is Nokia Amber which is just for Nokia devices unfortunately.

Can confirm this .. I have both a Lumia 920 (personal phone) and Ativ S (office mobile) here and only the Nokia gets the Amber update.

While I like the Samsung a lot, I think because Nokia phones are the preferred partner/now owned by MS it's really the only choice if you want frequent, value-add updates like the Glance Screen etc.

That said, it seems Nokia are coming out with some interesting models at the moment so I'll probably find a nice upgrade for the 920 when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Down to 182€ now on amazon.de, very tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

This reminds me, I bought an Ativ S plus cover recently but returned the phone when I found a Lumia 920 instead. Still have a brand new soft shell case if anyone wants it. Just PM me your address. Please only ask if you actually have the phone and need a cover!

What bits from the lumia do you not get on the Ativ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I would assume the nokia apps. Here drive can be put on it, but it isnt free.

I don't know what they are. Anyone use the nokia apps feel they would miss them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I don't know what they are. Anyone use the nokia apps feel they would miss them?

When I had my Lumia 800, I found Nokia Drive, Photo beam and Nokia Music to be great and I think theyre still exclusive to nokia, apart from Nokia (here) Drive, but thats not free for other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No tap to wake, no glance screen would be the 2 main differences for me (I have both a Lumia 920 and an Ativ S beside me).

Both updated to GDR3 through the Dev program.

If I was buying a WP now I think the only logical choice has to be one of the Nokia's as the preferred/bought out partner. Pity cause the bigger screen, removable battery and Micro SD card slot are all plus points of the Ativ S over the 920

• Advertisement

Big price difference between the 920 and the Ativ S though.

Advertisement