Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather be in Dublin today if we're talking about weather. I'm not up for 40c and strong sunshine!

Good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

For you sun lovers and extreme weather lovers I’m in Phoenix today temps hovering around 105 degrees it’s absolutely incredible to feel it. It literally warms the bones.

Wow Clonmel,am so envious! That sounds like a great trip you're on and great heat to boot.

I love those high temps as well. Now constant heat gets tedious like constant any weather pattern. But I'd cope much better with that than I do with constant rain.

But no complaints from Kerry at mo as I'm loving these gorgeous crisp and sunny autumn days.:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

But no complaints from Kerry at mo as I'm loving these gorgeous crisp and sunny autumn days.

Gorgeous days indeed acequion, what a stunner today. Got down to 1.1C with ice on the car this morning needing defrosting and fog in the fields with bright sunshine and blue skies. Got up to 15.2C and back down now to 4.8C and can feel we could get frost again overnight.

sQw1Nn9.jpg?2

kavXWND.jpg?1

xfyyqbU.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool/cold night ahead inland

10pm met reports:
    Mount Dillon 2 degrees
    Mullingar 2 degrees
    Markree 3
    Dublin Airport 3
    Gurteen,Dunsany and Athenry 4 degrees

acequion wrote: »
    Wow Clonmel,am so envious! That sounds like a great trip you're on and great heat to boot.

I love those high temps as well. Now constant heat gets tedious like constant any weather pattern. But I'd cope much better with that than I do with constant rain.

But no complaints from Kerry at mo as I'm loving these gorgeous crisp and sunny autumn days.:pac:

It’s been a great trip thanks and to experience the heat is memorable. It’s 7.20pm here now and the temps are in the mid 30s it really is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It’s been a great trip thanks and to experience the heat is memorable. It’s 7.20pm here now and the temps are in the mid 30s it really is incredible.

Yeah, would not like that at all. That sort of heat is in my opinion downright sickening. I enjoy my heat more than the average person but god that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is cold with a sneaky bitter wind out here . west mayo offshore

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yeah, would not like that at all. That sort of heat is in my opinion downright sickening. I enjoy my heat more than the average person but god that's not right.

It’s nice to experience it for a few days and the thoughts of what Grace has described above for the next 8 months in my opinion is also sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Another cracking Autumn day in Dublin (now mostly cloudy). Photo of Howth Head given by a friend.

gory9f0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've noticed over the last few days the trees turning a stunning red and orange.
    I'm certain that this will be the most spectacular autumn we have seen most likely due to the dry summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I've noticed over the last few days the trees turning a stunning red and orange.
    I'm certain that this will be the most spectacular autumn we have seen most likely due to the dry summer.

It's been quite sudden. I remember during Storm Ali they were all green with only a tiny bit of red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes my maple trees out front look fantastic as the leaves are turning colour. The not so fantastic part is picking up all the shagging leaves for the next 4 weeks.

It’s nice to experience it for a few days and the thoughts of what Grace has described above for the next 8 months in my opinion is also sickening.

:confused: We are in autumn is all. Just to be accepted..sickening? 8 months?

Taking it day by day.... living the season as it comes. Harvesting my no-dig potatoes in the teeth of a strong wind off the wide ocean a small field away.... a wonderful experience... then coming in to a good island turf stove.... Bliss!

Varied opinions and I really love how Graces writes. It's so poetic you almost want to be on that island with her for all its wild Atlantic blusteriness. You should write for Bord Failte Graces. :)

Very autumny this weekend in Tralee. Dull, but very quiet and still. I like it.

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused: We are in autumn is all. Just to be accepted..sickening? 8 months?

Taking it day by day.... living the season as it comes. Harvesting my no-dig potatoes in the teeth of a strong wind off the wide ocean a small field away.... a wonderful experience... then coming in to a good island turf stove.... Bliss!

Not sure what point your making here. I’m personally not looking forward to the next 8 months until April/May. You have your likes I have mine accept that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not sure what point your making here. I’m personally not looking forward to the next 8 months until April/May. You have your likes I have mine accept that please.

Is the holiday over clonmel
    😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

Grace used to be a bit of a poetic weather moaner. However, she learned to embrace it. You should too!! ;):D

Calibos wrote: »
    Grace used to be a bit of a poetic weather moaner. However, she learned to embrace it. You should too!! ;):D

Thank you and yes. I was thinking this yesterday. But then I was in a bad even dangerous place in bad weather eg in snow and was not prepared. It is different now. I am safe and well adapted.

And the quality of forecasting and informed comment here makes it all more fascinating and absorbing .

And also I am very old; almost 80 and each day has a huge value for me as few left. The weather is going to happen whether I like it or not so why waste time and energy?

Waking today to a still chill silence after wind last night.

Not making any "point".. simply saying that there is beauty in the weather always. And that we are stuck with it anyways . so why not adapt? At my advanced age....

Weather is about.. weather, rather than likes and dislikes? a science. and felt for thee facing such a dark time....

Anyways, onwards into the adventure of the day and the week...

ps first bird started singing at 7.09 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Happy 1st October all!

Weather is about.. weather, rather than likes and dislikes? a science. and felt for thee facing such a dark time....

There I don't agree. Weather may be a science but the experience of weather is very much about likes and dislikes and that's where I think we all need to respectfully agree and disagree.
    And also I am very old; almost 80

80 is no longer considered very old. Not like it once was as people are living longer and healthier. But fair play to you Grace for your energy and positive attitude.. And well done on your computer skills because not many of your age would be so proficient. I really hope that doesn't sound patronising as I'm not so young myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

acequion wrote: »
    There I don't agree. Weather may be a science but the experience of weather is very much about likes and dislikes and that's where I think we all need to respectfully agree and disagree.

In fairness, what is science is the fact that our climate is our climate, and it has been mostly the same for all of our lifetimes, and will continue to be largely the same for another few years at least. By that, I mean that Irish winters (and parts of spring and autumns) being cold and rainy shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, so it's rather boring to most regular posters to hear complaints about the inevitable march of the seasons!

Not that I'm telling anyone not to complain, just don't be surprised when you get complaints about your complaints if you do!

The extreme weather events that we encounter? Knock yourself out, complain away, although only in the knowledge that no amount of wishing or hoping in any direction on here is going to redirect the hand of Mother Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Athleauge co roscommon 28/09/18
    20180928_074010_zpscqtzxlfv.jpg
    Sorry about the late pic

Pretty odd today. It was mostly cloudy at first with some sunny spells but then it turned cloudless during the late afternoon but now it's dull, dark and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Only 408mm recorded in dublin so far in 2018 at casement in dublin. Unbelievably dry year, Phoenix Park at 438mm.

What is the driest year on record I wonder? I thought with just 660mm in the whole of 2017 at dublin airport was exceptional but that could be beaten again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Only 408mm recorded in dublin so far in 2018 at casement in dublin. Unbelievably dry year, Phoenix Park at 438mm.

What is the driest year on record I wonder? I thought with just 660mm in the whole of 2017 at dublin airport was exceptional but that could be beaten again this year.

October is on average the wettest month in Dublin. The overall driest year in Ireland was the year of Ireland's temperature record, 1887. This year recorded 356.6mm of rain at Glasnevin, Co. Dublin. The driest year on record for the Irish rainfall series by Maynooth University's Irish Climate Analysis and Research Unit (ICARUS) gives the driest year on record as 1788 which had an Irish rainfall total of 697.0mm.

Dublin Airport's driest year on record was 1989 with only 555.2mm of rain, annual rainfall totals for 1942 to 2017 at the station:

f4GwRp2.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Thanks for that, really interesting data, amazing to think 356mm in a whole calendar year!!!! 555mm in 1989 is very impressive too.

Dublin seems to really have a slight micro climate within Ireland. So many Irish weather stations average well over 1000mm per year and yet that has only occurred 4 times in dublin in nearly 80 years of data!!
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    October is on average the wettest month in Dublin. The overall driest year in Ireland was the year of Ireland's temperature record, 1887. This year recorded 356.6mm of rain at Glasnevin, Co. Dublin. The driest year on record for the Irish rainfall series by Maynooth University's Irish Climate Analysis and Research Unit (ICARUS) gives the driest year on record as 1788 which had an Irish rainfall total of 697.0mm.

Dublin Airport's driest year on record was 1989 with only 555.2mm of rain, annual rainfall totals for 1942 to 2017 at the station:

f4GwRp2.png

Thanks for that, really interesting data, amazing to think 356mm in a whole calendar year!!!! 555mm in 1989 is very impressive too.

Dublin seems to really have a slight micro climate within Ireland. So many Irish weather stations average well over 1000mm per year and yet that has only occurred 4 times in dublin in nearly 80 years of data!!
    sryanbruen wrote: »

f4GwRp2.png

• Advertisement

Mild, drizzly and very quiet in Dublin 5. I usually hate this weather but I'm enjoying it today. At least it isn't winter, this weather is very suitable for October.

Advertisement