Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Bursting to get out Tuesday, but after reading the weather outlook on the forum we could be in for some very cold frosty mornings from Wednesday on. Hopefully they are wrong or at least it's not too cold to close courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I’m a stickler for the rules in general but I think being 3km away and not being allowed to go somewhere because of an imaginary line across the fields is nonsense.

On the way out of last lockdown the criteria was 20km, OR in your county, so someone in bray wasn’t restricted to Wicklow or whatever, I’d think it’s fair to assume the same applies this time round.
    Not initially it wasn't. For the first three weeks back, golf was limited to the 5Km radius from your home. Then it was 20Km for the next three weeks iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not initially it wasn't. For the first three weeks back, golf was limited to the 5Km radius from your home. Then it was 20Km for the next three weeks iirc.

Agreed.

I never said that it was immediately, I said on the way back out, not that it was step 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Timesheets released for the first few days and its busy but still plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Timesheets released for the first few days and its busy but still plenty of space.

same in both my clubs, casual golf only in each one.
    ive booked in for 9 holes each thursday and friday morning
    no real interest in getting back in the winter when not competing

are all clubs non-competitive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just back from playing 14. Was great to be back out, and very hit and miss golf. Ball isn't going anywhere near as far, and our greens are super slow, but still really enjoyed it. Hopefully no one noticed me missing work the last 3 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm annoyed at my club. First slot available to members on Saturday is 1pm. The following Saturday it's 12pm, the following Saturday it will be about 12:45. I can't play during the week. They've effectively halved the days I can play.

To be honest, a club should never give away that much of a Saturday morning to societies, but especially in winter when it rules out any chance of getting a round after them and especially after a second lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

Its sickening to log on and see vast swathes of the timesheet blocked off for societies. Wouldn't even mind as much if they were running an open on the saturday.
    its a symptom of a club being run as a business rather than a club. Its a wonder the course stands up so well to the traffic (with the exception of a couple of spots e.g. 2nd fairway)

I think I'm relatively understanding of them allowing lots of visitors on the course. It's a public course after all, not a members one. So catering for non members should be part of their mission. However, effectively for December it's non members on Saturday, members Sunday. That's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Just played 9 this morning
    Great to be back at it
    Golf the same.......as 6 weeks ago:(

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »

We are straight back into competitive golf this weekend and Winter league starts on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

We (Wicklow GC) are straight back into competitions today. No real interest in casual golf myself.
    We will also not be allowing open comps or societies in for at least another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

All set to get back tomorrow, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I just saw Met Eireann are issuing a weather warning (frost) from tomorrow to Friday midnight.

God hates golfers...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

an hour down the practice ground done. Started off with 3 shanks and a few tops, but I was okay after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

blue note wrote: »
    I think I'm relatively understanding of them allowing lots of visitors on the course. It's a public course after all, not a members one. So catering for non members should be part of their mission. However, effectively for December it's non members on Saturday, members Sunday. That's wrong.

That's crazy, what club is it? Is it member owned or not? I am assuming not.

Members need to act with their feet and move on. If ever there was a time to not allow societies it's this month.

Corballis. They will release Saturday times not being used by the societies by 8am on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dk1982

Corballis. They will release Saturday times not being used by the societies by 8am on the Friday.
    9-12 Friday morning taken up with societies also. absolute joke. Basically, no member on Friday or Saturday (bar 8.10 to 8.50 Friday morn) will be able to get 18 holes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Have no idea why anyone would be a member of a club where societies have the run of the course at weekends. Would not be for me

Out today, very disappointing to see in unrepaired pitch marks on day 1.

Out today, very disappointing to see in unrepaired pitch marks on day 1.

I was out in the first hour after 1st lockdown. It was scandalous how many unrepaired pitchmarks I spotted that day out of the 3 or 4 groups who were in front of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I was out in the first hour after 1st lockdown. It was scandalous how many unrepaired pitchmarks I spotted that day out of the 3 or 4 groups who were in front of me

Does my head in. When I'm on the green I actively look for pitch marks to fix for the lazy ones that don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭higster

Big demand in my place...weekends no visitors/guests up to 10am.

Tues/Weds/Thurs 9 Holes of Play open ONLY with the option of play from the 1st from 8:30am or from the 10th from 9:30am

Friday 18 Holes of play open from 8.30 am from the 1st Tee ONLY

Sat/Sun 18 Holes of play open from 8.30 am from the 1st Tee & also 9 Holes from the 10th tee between 9 – 10am. Bookings for Back 9 start to be made directly with the Golf Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Possibly/probably someone that ventured onto the course for some practice when they shouldn't have been!?

12-16 golfers out ahead of you... you wouldn't expect many greens to have been hit from distance, ahead of you.

PARlance wrote: »
    Possibly/probably someone that ventured onto the course for some practice when they shouldn't have been!?

12-16 golfers out ahead of you... you wouldn't expect many greens to have been hit from distance, ahead of you.

yes i was thinking same alright
    it was really quite a lot of pitchmarks, maybe up to 5 on most greens, and they were just the ones i seen

yes i was thinking same alright
    it was really quite a lot of pitchmarks, maybe up to 5 on most greens, and they were just the ones i seen

I think someone must have been doing a bit of practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

dk1982 wrote: »
    9-12 Friday morning taken up with societies also. absolute joke. Basically, no member on Friday or Saturday (bar 8.10 to 8.50 Friday morn) will be able to get 18 holes in.

I’m a member and whilst it’s annoying, we have to remember not only do we not own the course, the operators do not own it either like plenty of commercial courses.

Of all the courses where members can have a complaint, one that’s publicly owned is always where letting green fees on is likely a key part of Carr’s contract.

I’d prefer if they sorted the Sunday issue (which they seem to have done), only allow people to book slots for names playing partners in the Sunday comp rather than just taking the full line with “guests”. Perhaps blocking off 8-9 and 12-1 every day as members only or something like that would help, but it’ll never be our course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Played 9 this morning and when we hit the turn there was a gap in the timesheet on the back 9 so continued for the 18.
    It was glorious!!

Agree with others - greens covered in pitch marks

Great to be back! Course was in excellent condition and started to play some decent golf after a couple of holes!

I’m a member and whilst it’s annoying, we have to remember not only do we not own the course, the operators do not own it either like plenty of commercial courses.

Of all the courses where members can have a complaint, one that’s publicly owned is always where letting green fees on is likely a key part of Carr’s contract.

I’d prefer if they sorted the Sunday issue (which they seem to have done), only allow people to book slots for names playing partners in the Sunday comp rather than just taking the full line with “guests”. Perhaps blocking off 8-9 and 12-1 every day as members only or something like that would help, but it’ll never be our course

I said previously that I'd be reasonably understanding of societies having access to the course. So when a Sunday comp finishes at 12 in summer for a society to get out I think it's fair enough, the course is very much for them as well.

However, it's about a fair balance. And societies having 3 Saturdays in a row is not a fair balance.

• Advertisement

I said previously that I'd be reasonably understanding of societies having access to the course. So when a Sunday comp finishes at 12 in summer for a society to get out I think it's fair enough, the course is very much for them as well.

However, it's about a fair balance. And societies having 3 Saturdays in a row is not a fair balance.

I think the problem is the club trying to be both things to different markets.

It’s either members and members getting first option with green fees after or it’s all green fees. What this club seems to be doing is have its cake both ways and that’s not fair.

For them it’s the perfect solution and most profit situation. I also doubt the rental agreement tells them how to manage the complex if they are paying rent. Because it’s council own they are also exempt from rates which is a very unfair advantage over other clubs.

But, if you are only getting charge a nominal fee for membership, then that’s a different issue.

Advertisement