Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hopefully stays open. Been cancelled due to weather 3 times in a row since courses reopened, hopefully finally get out this Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

What we think Will golf be lockdown again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It is certainly not looking good. Now is the time the GUI need to be consulting with Sport Ireland and putting across their case on how golf can be played safely whilst maintaining social distance/adhering to COVID guidelines. Waiting for the shutdown to be announced is not the time.

Most clubs will be looking for 2021 subs in January and if another prolonged period of closure is announced then, it will not be good news for clubs with member retention sure to take a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

redzerdrog wrote: »
    What we think Will golf be lockdown again?

Sports Ireland/Government have already shown repeatedly they have no interest in considering exemptions for individual sports even if they can be shown to be played safely. It's easier for them to just blanket close almost everything. I expect a 3rd lockdown to be the same again and would be very surprised if golf was allowed. Our club isn't doing the traditional winter league this year as they expecting a long closure in Jan and Feb at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sports Ireland/Government have already shown repeatedly they have no interest in considering exemptions for individual sports even if they can be shown to be played safely.

Unfortunately, I think you’re right. I’m expecting a no golf Jan and Feb, maybe even March.

Really sick of this now:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

"Non-essential retail will remain open but personal services such as hairdressers and barbers will close. Gyms and sports such as golf and tennis will be permitted"

Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any word on golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Any word on golf?

Still allowed under level 5-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

We're okay as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So far the only thing that would restrict golfers is the ban on inter-county travel. That will stop some but it isn't as bad as the 5k or 20k limits that applied earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First Up wrote: »
    So far the only thing that would restrict golfers is the ban on inter-county travel. That will stop some but it isn't as bad as the 5k or 20k limits that applied earlier.

no
    it was recently changed to allow golfers intercounty travel to play in their home club
    i dont see any reason why that is going to change again

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

The main problem with Golf is Golfers broke the 5 km rule to play... The 5km rule is what will probably make or break it...

Gyms are being left open which I don't understand.

I will say West of the Shannon has not got hit yet (we are lower that we were a few weeks ago) and hopefully we avoid it this time but the restrictions will be all Ireland.

If a 5km rule needs to brought in, make it targeted at counties hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If courses remain open it will invite northerners down here to play.......sure they’re riddled with Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If courses remain open it will invite northerners down here to play.......sure they’re riddled with Covid

If clubs accept these bookings them they leave themselves open to been forced to be members only again

There is a responsibility on the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    If clubs accept these bookings them they leave themselves open to been forced to be members only again

There is a responsibility on the clubs

would have thought clubs would be members only so as to be easier to track people

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

You’d think so re visitors...my club (a long way from the north in fairness so doubt if that the case here) has 70% of tee times booked for visitors next Mon and Tuesday (40% on Sat and Sun). Impossible to get a tee time for usual 4 ball (in theory can only book 7 days in advance and tried at 7:30am Mon for Mon week and last night at 1am for next Tuesday and all gone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

CowboyTed wrote: »
    The main problem with Golf is Golfers broke the 5 km rule to play... The 5km rule is what will probably make or break it...

Gyms are being left open which I don't understand.

I will say West of the Shannon has not got hit yet (we are lower that we were a few weeks ago) and hopefully we avoid it this time but the restrictions will be all Ireland.

If a 5km rule needs to brought in, make it targeted at counties hopefully...

Gyms only allowed to do 1-2-1 training as far as I’m aware

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Membership prices for 2021 revealed in my club.

All stays same bar distant membership which is now split into 5 and 7 day variants.

The 7 day is a 50% cost increase (up to €300 now from €200 previously) on the previous incarnation which is cruel on distant members in fairness. We get a lot from Cork etc.

Lot of angst on the Facebook page for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

callaway92 wrote: »

All stays same bar distant membership which is now split into 5 and 7 day variants.

The 7 day is a 50% cost increase (up to €300 now from €200 previously) on the previous incarnation which is cruel on distant members in fairness. We get a lot from Cork etc.

Cahir ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cahir ?

The exact one, yeh.

I’m originally from Cahir but have kept distant membership up after moving to Clare so I’m bummed out by this.

As for the €300 figure. It’s just a number they pulled out of their backside in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

callaway92 wrote: »

Big increase in terms of % but €200 was incredibly cheap for a club close enough to a city like Cork.

I had a quick look on the Facebook page, the 40km is the only limit on it? €300 is a still a bit of a steal for everyone on the right side of Cork.

There's a club near me that offers distance for €220 but you have to be a member of another club to avail of it. I think that was the whole idea of distance membership, a cheap rate for people like yourself who have moved away from the area. They probably just realised they could and should up the rate as they were giving people full membership, within a relatively short distance, for nothing.

They'll probably retain a lot more than 67% of the distance members I imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

GUI / ILGU just announced (on Christmas Eve!!!) that golf can only be played by 2 households. So they expect clubs to adjust timesheets to either have 2, 3, or 4 balls from no more than 2 households.

IMPOSSIBLE TO POLICE AND IMPOSSIBLE TO MANAGE TIMESHEETS IN THIS MANNER WHEN THEY'VE BEEN BOOKED AHEAD FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

They are basically saying ye can open but hey we're going to tie both your hands behind your back so you might as well be closed.

Here's their announcement:

Note: This update applies to golf club in the Republic of Ireland, other clubs included for information purposes.

Update to guidance for Golf Clubs in the Republic of Ireland during Level 5

Sport Ireland have today (24th December) issued a further update to the current Level 5 measures, which will remain in place until 12th January 2021. This will require golf clubs to urgently note the following additional points:

· Participants in sport and exercise in unsupervised/uncoached activity must be from no more than two households.

· Therefore, groups playing on golf courses during these Level 5 measures must be confined to a maximum of two households.

· This means that all tee times must be either two-balls, or alternatively three-balls and four-balls where players in the group are from no more than two households. A household for these purposes includes a household support bubble, guidance for which is available here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/.

We have made Sport Ireland aware of the issues regarding the implementation of this change in the short-term as timesheets for golf club activities are likely in operation for at least the next several days. However, we are urging golf clubs to update their timesheet booking systems to take account of this changed guidance as soon as possible.

These additional requirements from Sport Ireland come against a backdrop of escalating public health challenges with the incidence of COVID-19 rising exponentially in Ireland. Golf Ireland therefore strongly encourages golf clubs to implement this change, and in doing so continue to exhibit the high level of compliance that has made it possible for our sport to continue to remain open and accessible during the current Level 5 measures.

The above update must be read in conjunction with our previous statement issued on 22 December - https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=82&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ;Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mi casa es su casa!!!

Time they were told GTF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

GUI / ILGU just announced (on Christmas Eve!!!) that golf can only be played by 2 households. So they expect clubs to adjust timesheets to either have 2, 3, or 4 balls from no more than 2 households.

Where did you find that? Can't see it on the GUI website.

*Edit* found it. https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=82&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ;Covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Shouldn’t be a problem.......two balls can easily let out every six minutes.
    Twenty golfers an hour......

HighLine wrote: »
    Where did you find that? Can't see it on the GUI website.

*Edit* found it. https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=82&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ;Covid-19

Emailed to the clubs. I'm an Hon Sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is horse sh1t. Who the fook is behind these ludicrous decisions. So shops are open but no 3 or 4 balls on a golf course?

• Advertisement

3 balls and 4 balls allowed but only if the 3 or 4 are from a max of 2 households. Clubs cant create a daily timesheet with a mix of 2,3, or 4 balls and then be expected to monitor that only 2 households are involved.

Advertisement