Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

My self-chrimbo pressie is probably bobbing up and down on the Irish sea, at least it escaped potential brexit taxes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow, that ain't cheap!

Aye...tell me about it ! Expensive month, but seeing as how the year has been kiboshed, I said feck that.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    You don't hear of people getting the 3090 much, especially considering the value to performance that the 3080 is (I'd say my friend is sick after dropping series money on a new rig with a 2080 Super!) The Founders Editions are the nicest looking cards I've seen in a while.

I had an awful time trying to get a PS5 yesterday, I can't imagine having to go through the same crap trying to get a 30 series GPU after seeing the issues with social media and retailers themselves scalping them.

True, but don't mention it please, at least the 3090 I went with offers a power limit jump, especially under water, that'll push that gap wider, but I agree about the FE cards, they are by far the best looking and perform very well, but only time I managed to have the opportunity to cash out the basket with one, I was already well over a month into the preorder for the other so decided to leave it. TBH, the 3080 memory was what ruled it out for me, and there was no way I'd be waiting months in a queue only for the 20GB models to maybe/if/might do appear.
    Tend to go big and skip a generation, so the main PC is still running a Pascal Titan, so a 3000 series card will go someway to helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

McDermotX wrote: »
    Aye...tell me about it ! Expensive month, but seeing as how the year has been kiboshed, I said feck that.

True, but don't mention it please, at least the 3090 I went with offers a power limit jump, especially under water, that'll push that gap wider, but I agree about the FE cards, they are by far the best looking and perform very well, but only time I managed to have the opportunity to cash out the basket with one, I was already well over a month into the preorder for the other so decided to leave it. TBH, the 3080 memory was what ruled it out for me, and there was no way I'd be waiting months in a queue only for the 20GB models to maybe/if/might do appear.
    Tend to go big and skip a generation, so the main PC is still running a Pascal Titan, so a 3000 series card will go someway to helping.

That was my thinking on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

One of those very old Nintendo mini cab/tabletop kinda things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah the feet and shape are a total giveaway, it's a Nintendo Red tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Shape to me suggests possible red tent?

All good guesses :)

Only just unwrapped it, looks good so far.

IMG-20201123-144134-5.jpg

Master of the Universe

Wow, that looks to be in great condition! nicely done.

Was that part of the Skerries haul that happened a while back? I remember you mentioning something about a red tent back then.

Wow, that looks to be in great condition! nicely done.

Was that part of the Skerries haul that happened a while back? I remember you mentioning something about a red tent back then.

That's a long story about mix-ups! The op thought I was trying to buy a different "red" cabinet and wanted way too much. We were bargaining on completely different things though, doh.

Long story short, I've reversed the flow of time and got this red tent instead. And it's in much better nick to boot, not perfect with some paintwork and such, but very nice :)

Waiting on stepdown before testing it, I'll probably put up a restore thread on the cabinet, give more detail. Loads of cool things you can do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gradius wrote: »

I was just watching a video on the repair of one of them :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gradius wrote: »

Daaaaamn, you fine.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I was just watching a video on the repair of one of them :)

That might be a useful video! I just learned that the transformer is still a few days away from delivery, balls. It's a long wait :p

I found these dudes who went over one in excruciating detail, this the final part were they put it all back together. If you skip like 30 seconds into it it's one of those strangely soothing sped-up/construction videos :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Daaaaamn, you fine.

I've had a quick skoot over it. One side is open as it had no keys, turns out I have one of the Nintendo keys (k6510), but you need two simultaneously. Gonna see if I can get it copied. Also don't have keys for coinboxes.

Other than that it cleans up better than I thought, the goop on the Mario artwork came off with a bit of elbow grease, looks much better but a bit faded unfortunately.

I've had a look over the pcb (interesting how it works for two screens at once). It has vs Castlevania on one side and vs Mario brother's on the other.

3 buttons missing, I happen to have one lying around so that's good.

Anyway I'm just waffling now! Will see how it comes together in a week or so :)

Got the transformer, all good. The machine survived the seven seas!

Mario monitor needs some slight colour adjustment, sky is a bit purple-ish but I don't have enough keys to get in that side yet. Castlevania is perfect. Sound is really impressive too.

So it's just a bit of fussing to get this machine gleaming, doubt I'll get anything done this side of Christmas but I'll stick up a restore thread when I do. Now to kill Dracula...

IMG-20201126-150759-4.jpg

IMG-20201126-150745-4.jpg

Master of the Universe

Bloody gorgeous looking monitor, any idea what the tube and chassis are?

Bloody gorgeous looking monitor, any idea what the tube and chassis are?

I can't be certain until I can access everything, it's a tight squeeze because there's a lot packed into a small space.

But the label below is probably correct. These 18" monitors are hens teeth! Nintendo used two types as far as I know, sharp xm's and sanyo 18z's. Red tents and some cocktails used them.

So it's either 2 sharps, or a sharp plus sanyo on the other side. The controls are a godsend, no poking around even for volume :)

IMG-20201126-160840-3.jpg

IMG-20201126-160850-5.jpg

IMG-20201126-160908-4.jpg

Master of the Universe

That is some sexy engineering - nice manual degauss button there too!

Actually as a matter of interest, is there a remote board to adjust each CRT individually or are they both linked to the one board? (so you can get adjustments on both monitors simultaneously?)

That is some sexy engineering - nice manual degauss button there too!

Actually as a matter of interest, is there a remote board to adjust each CRT individually or are they both linked to the one board? (so you can get adjustments on both monitors simultaneously?)

Each monitor has its own controls, otherwise it would drive you up the wall.

Marios volume is quite loud and there's bugger all I can do about it for now!

The overpriced, ostentatious, but undeniably beautiful both in looks and function, NT Mini Noir dropped in the door today.

20201127-130744.jpg

I noticed some talk about loose connectors etc (for NES carts anyway), but I can't speak to that as I've none to hand right now as the few I have are in storage. Popped a Famicom N8 Pro in though and it was fine. Perhaps swinging out of NES carts when they're plugged in isn't advisable.

• Advertisement

get hit with much customs duty on it ?

Unfortunately, yes...big hit this time given the valuation. They really need to get onboard with an EU distributor.
    Kind of expected, but still annoying. Can't very well not pay it though in the end.

Of more concern was the 50 dollars charged for shipping, but yet they shipped with a cheaper rate, so looking into that.

they really do need to partner with someone in europe if they plan on selling to europe,alot hit with extra hefty charge this time from what I've seem

Aye......I think the only time that happened was when they were selling a branded Mega SG a while back, which had a separate ordering process for European customers. Its a real shame TBH. But then again, its hard enough getting in there to get their products the normal way these days, let alone setup a regional distributor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cant wait to swallow customs whenever they send the Pocket out :/

Couple of bits arrived today.

This SCART switch which I wont use as its not compatible with my setup(80 euro plus a good bit of postage cost wasted).
    https://otaku-games.com/6in3out-amplified-rgb-scart-auto-switch-with-housing.html

8ICbe8C.jpg

KQR3GNh.jpg

And this very nice Ultimate Floppy Emulator with a tiny OLED display. Can be used internally or externally on Amiga's. Needs a KY-040 rotary encoder added to it, but I have a bunch of them from other projects. I'll probably design a case for 3D printing, or use someone else's if they get there first.
    https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/product/ultimate-floppy-emulator/

Hj1Hu73.jpg

Master of the Universe

Whats up with the scart switcher not working with your setup? Something weird going on with signals and the auto switching?

Whats up with the scart switcher not working with your setup? Something weird going on with signals and the auto switching?

Have a read of this:
    https://www.retrorgb.com/otaku-6in3out-amplified-auto-scart-switch-review.html

Unfortunately, I ran into quite a few issues with this switch.

As mentioned above, the output voltage can be dangerously high if you use a SCART cable with a sync stripper built in, or if you daisy-chain another powered SCART switch into this one. The voltage was so high, you’d most likely kill any equipment rated for SCART standards, such as the OSSC, RetroTINK 2x SCART and Framemeister:

Master of the Universe

Christ! You'd think something that costs the guts of a hundred quid could do a basic task such as changing video signals without frying your devices :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Steve X2 wrote: »

Qq555P3.jpg

is that a Roccat Vulcan 100 or 120 Aimo?

I have just ordered one and just want to find out what you think of it?
    I ordered the brown key version

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement