Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Patww79 wrote: »

I edited my post, it uses IR for the TV, the hub even comes with little IR blasters that allow you hide the hub away. it will even change the source on the TV from another room using WIFI to the hub :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

According to HUKD, amazon warehouse is doing 20% off open box from midnight tonight. Means the “used, very good” Shields will be around £140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭roosterman71

SachaJ wrote: »
    According to HUKD, amazon warehouse is doing 20% off open box from midnight tonight. Means the “used, very good” Shields will be around £140.

Is the warehouse stuff good to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

dodzy wrote: »
    Link here. great price. Paypal & PM/PW/AP . £159. Can't see it going this low with Amazon next week.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

Looks solid, camel camel camel says £167 or there abouts was lowest yet on amazon. Anyone bought from nvidia direct here ? Or jus roll dice on pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I edited my post, it uses IR for the TV, the hub even comes with little IR blasters that allow you hide the hub away. it will even change the source on the TV from another room using WIFI to the hub :cool:
    The Hub is a fantastic bit of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,665 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

well i ordered mine lads thanks for the advice, funny that the payment went to digital river Ireland, but they wont ship to Ireland.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

yabadabado wrote: »

Yeah, it's truly the best gadget I've bought, the Shield is second. I have the Harmony One but I now see there's a newer Elite which adds buttons to control lights and sockets which is what I'd be buying if I was buying now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I've both a Harmony Ultimate and a Harmony Elite and I'm using them it almost the exactly the same way as The high horse brigade.

Also work great with Ghome.

"Hey Google, turn on Shield TV" has harmony switch my TV and AV on and switch the input to the Shield TV.

Though a warning Patww, it takes a bit of effort to get the Harmony setup, it requires some patience.

****ing hell what a way to drag a thread down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Sparko

Shlippery wrote: »
    Looks solid, camel camel camel says £167 or there abouts was lowest yet on amazon. Anyone bought from nvidia direct here ? Or jus roll dice on pm?

I've ordered, using PM for my first time actually. Will let you know in a few days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Invincible

Sparko wrote: »
    I've ordered, using PM for my first time actually. Will let you know in a few days!

Was it £149 at checkout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

On a more positive note, my shield is due on Tuesday.. can't wait now to see what it's like!

why is using pm rolling the dice ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 it works as intended, but it definitely requires some setting up and configuration. It doesn't just work out of the box, depending on your setup it may take a few hours to get right.

It is great once setup, but it needs a bit of effort to get right.

Also be aware that IR kind of sucks (as in general, not specific to Harmony) and can cause issues from time to time.

:D
    Im not one bit upset ,why would I be ?
    Only one who seems upset or maybe its insecure is you.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    why is using pm rolling the dice ?

Ah I suppose not the right choice of words, just that it may take a while to get since they're super busy at the moment! Still waiting on my google mini! ...very impatient I am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yeah, it's truly the best gadget I've bought, the Shield is second. I have the Harmony One but I now see there's a newer Elite which adds buttons to control lights and sockets which is what I'd be buying if I was buying now.
    bk wrote: »
    Yes, I've both a Harmony Ultimate and a Harmony Elite and I'm using them it almost the exactly the same way as The high horse brigade.

Also work great with Ghome.

"Hey Google, turn on Shield TV" has harmony switch my TV and AV on and switch the input to the Shield TV.

Though a warning Patww, it takes a bit of effort to get the Harmony setup, it requires some patience.

You've just sold me...

Which one would you recommend bk?

Ah I suppose not the right choice of words, just that it may take a while to get since they're super busy at the moment! Still waiting on my google mini! ...very impatient I am!

i stopped using parcel motel because of the delays, my local lockers were full for over a week at christmas time, parcel wizard are a much quicker and generally better company to deal with, delivered to wherever you want also, home or work

Invincible wrote: »
    Was it £149 at checkout?

£159.99. I went for the one with the controller.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    You've just sold me...

Which one would you recommend bk?

If you can stretch, I'd recommend the Elite * Keep an eye out on the Black Friday sales, they get reduced a lot, I picked up my Elite for £130.

* The Elite and Ultimate do fundamentally the same thing, but the Elite remote is much nicer in the hand. Better built, buttons laid out more sensibly and it is heavier, which makes it feel better in hand. Also the extra smart buttons are handy if you have Hue smart lights, you can turn off the lights, while watching a movie, etc.

same here, hope its here for the weekend now

Is the controller just for gaming as in different function to remote?

PM can be busy at times, but generally they are a day or more ahead of PW (from my experience). I ordered a mini on Friday, and had it in my hands from PM last night.

Controllers has all the same fuctions as remote.
    Even if you dont game its handy to have.
    Only a tenner extra ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Don't get this without the controller, it's one of the best controllers i used and it's very comfortable, new model of course not no the rubbish brick one

One benefit of the game controller on the new one is that you can plug your headphones in and listen through them. I believe you could do that with the TV remote on the original.

• Advertisement

Did ye use your own number when ordering or Parcel Wizard's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Basil3 wrote: »
    One benefit of the game controller on the new one is that you can plug your headphones in and listen through them. I believe you could do that with the TV remote on the original.

That’s a great touch. Thanks for the tip. Mine due from amazon.fr around Tuesday. But it’ll be under the tree till 25th.

Basil3 wrote: »
    PM can be busy at times, but generally they are a day or more ahead of PW (from my experience). I ordered a mini on Friday, and had it in my hands from PM last night.

from uk seller to pm locker in a day ? find that hard to beleive
    i order things on a regular basis and once pw get them in northern ireland i have the item next working day

from uk seller to pm locker in a day ? find that hard to beleive
    i order things on a regular basis and once pw get them in northern ireland i have the item next working day

Yup, that's usual for me if there's no hiccups. Overnight delivery to the North, down to Dublin by early/mid arvo, and in my locker that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

No. The remote has no option for the on-screen mouse pointer while with the controller you can use the onscreen mouse via the analogue stick. I was a little surprised by this. Would be nice if you could use the remote too. Other than that it's a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Did ye use your own number when ordering or Parcel Wizard's?
    I've just ordered now,  I used my own number.  I had to adjust my PW address, as they could not verify the normal format.  I just put the my PW address line 1 and 2 into the company name ( PW ID)
    I've to wait 1-2 days for my order to be processed.

tonic wine wrote: »
    I've just ordered now,  I used my own number.  I had to adjust my PW address, as they could not verify the normal format.  I just put the my PW address line 1 and 2 into the company name ( PW ID)

My order was processed straight away and the address went in okay via PayPal
    Like a child waiting for Santa now lol

Did the same, just put through PayPal. Christ boards.ie is bad for me.

That and the google mini and I'm happy til after black Friday. Need to go into hiding now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

My order was processed straight away and the address went in okay via PayPal
    Like a child waiting for Santa now lol
    I went to order though paypal, but when i tried to input my PW shipping address, only ROI counties were available to select from.

I went to order though paypal, but when i tried to input my PW shipping address, only ROI counties were available to select from.

..did you select United Kingdom as Country? Antrim appears underneath the English ones! :o

..did you select United Kingdom as Country? Antrim appears underneath the English ones! :o

It appears under Northern Ireland lol
    Select uk and then scroll down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

amazon warehouse deal 20% off.
    , i didnt order from nvidia as i had a voucher to use.

got the nvidia shield for 145, used the 30 giftcard i got on another thread that cost me 25, so shield cost £140 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I ordered at £159.99 but they cancelled my order. I can't seem to find out why either and their customer service seems crap. Just telling me to re-order but of course it's £189.99 now.

Anyone know if it's expected to be reduced anywhere at the end of this week?

dave_t wrote: »
    I ordered at £159.99 but they cancelled my order. I can't seem to find out why either and their customer service seems crap. Just telling me to re-order but of course it's £189.99 now.

Anyone know if it's expected to be reduced anywhere at the end of this week?

I got a shipping notification earlier so I'm hoping mine will be ok. Used parcel motel and paid with Revolut, set my billing and delivery address to the PM address.

Not sure if it'll come down again this week, but I'd say keep an eye on here for any news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It will use IR for the TV. The Shield uses bluetooth, wifi is so google assistant can talk to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511093462&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+elite
    Keep an eye on the sales, they do drop in price every so often

OK Google turn on the shield (I've added this as a shortcut instead of saying ask Harmony turn on the shield). The Tv turns on, changes to HDMI 1, the Shield turns on, the surround reciever turns on and sets itself to the Shield input. The remote then works for the Shield with the volume buttons controlling the receiver

Ok Google ask Harmony turn on Sky News and it changes the input on my reciever to my Amiko alien 2 Sat box and then after a few seconds changes to Sky News

Just want to make sure I understand, you have a function setup to turn on the shield, switch HDMI etc on the Harmony, which you trigger via GHome? So it's not possible to turn on the Shield directly with GHome without Harmony?

I'm interested in this setup, but not sure I could justify the cost of the Harmony :(

Also thanks for this, and everybody who posted, didn't know this stuff was possible and find it very interesting!

Benzino wrote: »
    Just want to make sure I understand, you have a function setup to turn on the shield, switch HDMI etc on the Harmony, which you trigger via GHome? So it's not possible to turn on the Shield directly with GHome without Harmony?

I'm interested in this setup, but not sure I could justify the cost of the Harmony :(

Also thanks for this, and everybody who posted, didn't know this stuff was possible and find it very interesting!

It depends on your TV. Some TV's power on automatically when the shield switches on, others don't and would thus need Harmony.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/can-now-turn-off-chromecast-connected-tv-google-home-command/

If you have a complicated setup like The high horse brigade and me, with multiple devices connected to an AV, then you would likely need the Harmony.

Otherwise if you have a simple setup of a shield TV connected directly to your TV with HDMI-CEC support, then it may work without Harmony, but no guarantees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I got a shipping notification earlier so I'm hoping mine will be ok. Used parcel motel and paid with Revolut, set my billing and delivery address to the PM address.

Not sure if it'll come down again this week, but I'd say keep an eye on here for any news.

PW delivered today. Happy days @ €181 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Hdmi-cec etc is a pita, I've all turned off, I'll turn ye on when I want ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Exactly how I ordered, PM and Revolut. You should be OK. I didn’t get a shipping notification. Can’t believe how poor their service is though, considering the issue seems to be their end and they have no interest in letting me re-order at the same price.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement